GPS screen protectors.

I have put the "Invisible Shield" protectors on two GPS units and haven't had a problem getting those on "straight & smooth." Using a PDA screen protector, cut down to a size and shape to fit, is a less-successful venture . . . :D

I highly recommend the "Invisible Shield." :D It is worth the extra money to avoid the headaches.

I have put the "Invisible Shield" protectors on two GPS units and haven't had a problem getting those on "straight & smooth." Using a PDA screen protector, cut down to a size and shape to fit, is a less-successful venture . . . :ph34r:

I highly recommend the "Invisible Shield." ;) It is worth the extra money to avoid the headaches.

Hey thanks for the info. I just googled it & watched 2 demos on youtube. I think the reason it goes on smooth & easier is the spray. I've got an old package of Bstrong screen protectors that I've been using. It takes me several shots before I end up with results I'm happy with.

Looks like I'll be doing some online shopping for all our gadgets. :)

I have put the "Invisible Shield" protectors on two GPS units and haven't had a problem getting those on "straight & smooth." Using a PDA screen protector, cut down to a size and shape to fit, is a less-successful venture . . . :ph34r:

I highly recommend the "Invisible Shield." ;) It is worth the extra money to avoid the headaches.

Hey thanks for the info. I just googled it & watched 2 demos on youtube. I think the reason it goes on smooth & easier is the spray. I've got an old package of Bstrong screen protectors that I've been using. It takes me several shots before I end up with results I'm happy with.

Looks like I'll be doing some online shopping for all our gadgets. :)

Check out www.bestskinsever.com Look for DIY Custom Skins

Have it on mine and applying it is pretty simple.... Look me up tomorrow at the Maze event

Ditto. I can't say enough good things about Invisible Shield. I've done four GPS units and a cell phone. LOVE THEM!

I think I may be the only person who is not crazy about the Invisible Shield. It does its job very well -- it definitely protects the screen from damage. But it not very appropriately named, as it is nowhere near invisible. It is, to me, very visible; annoyingly so.

Something I would like to try instead is the ClearTouch Crystal, based on an informative thread in the GPS Units and Software forum a few months ago. Check out "Hands on screen protector test, Invisible Shield vs Boxwave Crystal". Especially note the last picture at the end of the first post, showing the not-so-Invisible shield on the left and the much clearer Crystal shield on the right.

But I fell like I should wait for my Invisible Shields to die or malfunction before I can try one of those, and that might never happen :ph34r:

chorizo sm

1 (Culin) hard pork sausage hard pork sausage

2 (en circo) balancing pole

3 * (=ratero) small-time crook *

(=maleante) criminal

(=carterista) pickpocket

4 (Andes, Cono Sur, Culin)

bife de chorizo rump steak

5 (Andes, Cono Sur, Arquit) mixture of clay and straw used in plastering mixture of clay and straw used in plastering

I'm guessing it's the pork sausage one. :ph34r:

chorizo sm

(=maleante) criminal

(=carterista) pickpocket

5 (Andes, Cono Sur, Arquit) mixture of clay and straw used in plastering mixture of clay and straw used in plastering

I'm guessing it's the pork sausage one. :ph34r:

According to Babelfish:

"the author of this page is a garlic sausage robs my bandwidth to me when not copying the images that Web finds in its space"

Ha! He called you a sausage!

So what if I was a knucklehead and took off my screen protector and now have the scratches on there? Anybody know a product to get them off? It is a minimum of 200 bucks to send it to Garmin for a replacement screen.

Unless the scratches are really deep, getting an Invisible Shield and putting it on your GPSr, should make them almost completely disappear.

So what if I was a knucklehead and took off my screen protector and now have the scratches on there? Anybody know a product to get them off? It is a minimum of 200 bucks to send it to Garmin for a replacement screen.

What kind of GPSr do you have? This may not be helpful but I have a 60csx. The other day I dropped it and rode over it with a bicycle. When I did that, the plastic screen popped off. Assuming that you have a 60csx, what you've scratched is not the actual screen, just a plastic cover held on with double-sided tape. If you could get someone's broken GPSr from eBay you might be able to pry their plastic screen off and replace yours.

Invisible Shield was recommended to us by a friend, so we got one for our GPSr. It works great, was easy to put on and it is pretty clear, although it does smudge easily. We liked it so much we got one for my brother's GPSr, our Palm and a full body suit of it for my iPod.(the iPod one wasn't quite as easy to apply, all those corners were a pain)

chorizo sm

(=maleante) criminal

(=carterista) pickpocket

I'm guessing it's the pork sausage one. :blink:

According to Babelfish:

"the author of this page is a garlic sausage robs my bandwidth to me when not copying the images that Web finds in its space"

Ha! He called you a sausage!

I sound delicious!

The image is from the Smilie Xtra extension. Looks like whoever submitted it to the collection didn't get permission. I've reported it to the author.

They just replaced mine for $50.00

edit: to add - 60csx

Edited by Skillet68

I found some cheap Wal-Mart screen protectors for my GPS, and I'm really happy with them for keeping the scratches from accumulating. They are on a little crooked, but it hasn't bothered me much yet.

Do you recall what they were called and where in Wally world they were?

I found some cheap Wal-Mart screen protectors for my GPS, and I'm really happy with them for keeping the scratches from accumulating. They are on a little crooked, but it hasn't bothered me much yet.

Look where they keep office supplies, you can also find them in any office supply store. You are looking for PDA screen protectors, just trim them to fit before applying applying them. I still have the same one on my GPS for three years.

Look where they keep office supplies, you can also find them in any office supply store. You are looking for PDA screen protectors, just trim them to fit before applying applying them. I still have the same one on my GPS for three years.

How well do they hold up in the heat?

Brasso and elbow grease.

I had some pretty deep scratches in the face of my iPod and read on an iPod forum how Brasso did the trick. You have to use a cotton cloth, and rub the Brasso in little circles for a long time. I think I spent almost an hour on my iPod, but I just sat in front of the TV while doing it. Don't use a paper towel or synthetic rag or you'll just scratch it worse. It was hard to believe, but the Brasso worked great, and the screen looked brand new afterwards.

When I was done I went straight to the kitchen where I had an Invisible Shield ready to put on, and haven't had any problems since. I really should get some for my GPS screens.

Skillet, get the Invisible Shield protection. They work GREAT, stand up to all the South Carolina heat and humidity, and my clumbsy slips and falls. I won't get buy a gps now that I don't get the Invisible Shield for it. Well worth the little bit of money. Remind me to show you how it looks nest time we see each other, that is if I ever get a day off to attend an event.

No problems, its been baked in my hot car and spent a week in late May hiking Nevada, temps were in the 90's.

I ponied up the $12 for the invisishield for my Colorado this week.

Ordered from Zagg and it arrived in a day and a half (I ordered it around midnight)

Went on pretty well, although I dropped it after I sprayed it and ended up with a tiny fingerprint on it and one little 'hair' under it. Not a big deal though and almost un-noticeable.

Not quite invisible...has a bit of an 'orange peel' texture to it.

BUT

Way better than the case I used to use on my Vista!

Nearly invisible in direct sunlight or with full backlight on.

If it protects it from scratches...WELL worth not only the money but also the slight slight degredation in viewability.

I would go with Novus. It's a three step plastic polish/scratch remover.

My IS went on smooth but developed a small bubble near the center a few weeks later. Can probably be corrected by removing and reinstalling but hasn't been worth the trouble. The screen isn't quite as clear as without it, though very close, and it really attracts dust, requiring spit-and-wipe instead of just wipe.

But big big hot D, it does work. Won't go back to a naked screen. The problems are very minor compared with the advantages.

Edward

Got my vote on Invisible Shield from Zagg http://www.zagg.com/. Had one on my MAP60C and sent it in for replacement to Garmin (for $25 they sent me a refurbished one because buttons had worn down and were not legible) but forgot my protector. When I got my MAP60C back I bought some cheaper ones. The first one started peeling back on the corners within a couple weeks. Took that off and replaced it. Then my GPS when for a swim in salt water and the screen protector was falling off before the trip was done. Replaced it. Then the next one started peeling again and this is with cleaning the screen with alcohol and following exact directions when applying. So now I have Invisible Shield on everything. My GPS has been in salt water, direct sun, dropped, bumped, knocked around and the screen protector is great!!!

Have it on my new 60CSx screen and love it, saved me plenty of times and they sell them pre-cut to the exact size for many things. I have the same thing on my Palm Tx screen, my LG VX8700 phone screen and even on the rear LCD display on my new Sony Alpha A-100 DSLR camera. I swear by them.

And as far as the spray with Invisible Shield, I think you'll find it just wetting solution, the same thing you'd use if applying window tint in your car or home (wetting solution is available at Lowe's, Home Depot, Advance Auto, etc). And when it's all said and done I think it's just a couple drops of mild dish detergent or baby shampoo in water. ;)

And when it's all said and done I think it's just a couple drops of mild dish detergent or baby shampoo in water. ;)

I first heard about Invisible Shield many years ago when I was having issues with my iPod screen getting scratched, and Invisible Shield was fairly new. They used to have instructions for installation that would include preparing a bowl of water with a few drops of dish detergent to dip your fingers in and rub all over the back of the shield.

Now they make and sell bottles of the same stuff.

Now they make and sell bottles of the same stuff.

True, but they also give it away free with every screen protector.

They don't give anything away, no company does. The cost of that bottle, the materials, the production time, the labor, the overhead, the storage space, the shipping, etc. is all wrapped up into the cost of the screen protector.

However, it's not like the extra 50 cents (or whatever they added on) is going to break my bank account, or keep me from buying a screen protector. And I understand that's exactly why they do it. People see it as a "free" added value and the company can make a lot of money. I've got no problem with it.

If the option were available for me to get a screen protector for 50 cents cheaper without the stuff, I'd probably take it, but it's not going to be a deal breaker.

I guess I'm just pointing my finger in the company's face and saying, "I'm onto you man"! :D

I had scratched up my 60 csx screen a bit after 3 weeks of ownership, so I bought an Invisible Shield for it, and liked it so much I got one for my phone.

I've dropped both, taken the GPS through all kinds of thornbushes, with nary a single more scratch on it.

I saw this video where a guy "debunks" the IS by taking the metal hook nail clipper thingy and applying tons of force to it.

Of course it ripped, but how in the hell does that simulate reasonable GPS use?

They don't give anything away, no company does. The cost of that bottle, the materials, the production time, the labor, the overhead, the storage space, the shipping, etc. is all wrapped up into the cost of the screen protector.

So is the cost of support. Very likely they found that they get a lot fewer phone calls by providing the spray bottle, so including it actually lowers the cost. I have no inside information, but I think it's a pretty good guess -- support costs can be huge.

Also, it's a pretty good sprayer that produces a uniform fine mist. This may have advantages over just dipping from a bowl. Another guess, with a lot more uncertainty than the first one.

Edward

When we first got our 60csxs almost 2 years ago the first thing Molly did is cut cheap pda screen protectors to fit the screen. Over time they got pretty scratched up from bushwhacking. Last week my gps stopped working so we had to send it back to Garmin. When we took off the screen protector the screen looked new.

I have two invisible shields sitting down stairs ready to go on to our gpsrs once we get mine back.

If the option were available for me to get a screen protector for 50 cents cheaper without the stuff, I'd probably take it, but it's not going to be a deal breaker.

I guess I'm just pointing my finger in the company's face and saying, "I'm onto you man"! ;)

My guess is that they include it because it makes such a big difference to the quality of the installation, but if they told you to "get some soapy water" people wouldn't. By packaging it as a special liquid with a spray etc they create a little mystery. So the customer takes the installation more seriously and is more likely to make a decent job of it, resulting in rave reviews (I love my IS!) and fewer complaints and returns. I don't think that's remotely cynical on their part, I think it's great marketing and product design.

I'd echo the comment about an IS fixing existing scratches. I had my Colorado for about 6 weeks before I put on the IS and it already had a few small scratches. They just vanished.

Hi,

I just purchased the award-winning invisibleSHIELD from ZAGG.com and I was given 2 special 20% discounts that I

could use or share and I'm sending you one of the two. The invisibleSHIELD is a really thin, military grade,

patented film, available exclusively from ZAGG. It is used to protect cell phones, laptops, cameras, GPS units

or just about any electronic gadget you want. For information about the invisibleSHIELD, visit http://www.zagg.com

Here's a one-time-use code that you enter during checkout: azd9gk

The discount will expire in 30 days.

Thanks,

Me

-------------------------------------------

Hi,

I just purchased the award-winning invisibleSHIELD from ZAGG.com and I was given 2 special 20% discounts that I

could use or share and I'm sending you one of the two. The invisibleSHIELD is a really thin, military grade,

patented film, available exclusively from ZAGG. It is used to protect cell phones, laptops, cameras, GPS units

or just about any electronic gadget you want. For information about the invisibleSHIELD, visit http://www.zagg.com

Here's a one-time-use code that you enter during checkout: qcad6r

The discount will expire in 30 days.

Thanks,

Me again

Don't fight over them!!!