An ANCIENT Geocoin Cointest

Tethys C

Okay, now that Landsharkz has sold out of the Ammonite Geocoin sets, it's time to give a set away.

There are four coins available and one person can not win more than one. If you know the answer to another question - then tell a friend - so they can win too. :)

I am looking for the Genus of each of the four ammonites that I used for the Ammonite Series. The first letter of the generic name is always capitalized and the genus name is either italicized or underlined. One of my new Beaver Tags (also designed by Landsharkz) will also be included with your winning coin if your correct answer is presented properly. ;)

Rules - sure - why not.

The rule I see in these forums and that I like the most is - No whining and I am the final judge. :)

You can post only one guess at a time and only every 15 minutes.

This will give you lots of time to look at other pictures of ammonites and see how beautiful they are. Ammonites are also a very important index fossil in the geologic record. If you go to www.scotese.com - you can see where the maps on the back of the ammonite coins came from.

Have fun and remember no editing of previous posts.

I'll be checking tonight and I'm sure the names will surface sooner rather than later. If the cointest does last through to tomorrow I will have to check later in the day. I get to go to the Royal Tyrrell Museum in Drumheller, Alberta with my sons grade 8 class - should be fun. Happy searching. :laughing:

genus Bredia

in botany, the genus is capitalized and the species is not, both are in italics or underlined.

lara/rsg

RSG is correct on the caps and italics/underline - but there have been no correct answers for the ammonite genus.

A hint - one of them is VERY commonly found in Germany and England. :)

Titanites from the Jurassic.

Titanites can get HUGE!!!

Big-One.jpg

Here is a picture of Terry from the Geological Survey of Canada next to an in situ ammonite fossil of Titanites - this was found near Fernie, BC.

Sorry I didn't use this one for a coin!! :)

Dactylioceras?

Ding Ding - our first winner!!! :);)

Dactylioceras from the Early Jurassic.

Way to go - send me your address. I'll even include the Beaver Tag

If you want to italicize just put a [ i]italicize[ /i] in your post - but leave out the space to the right of the first square bracket. To underline - just use a u instead of an i.