Creating your own Geocache treasure?

Hi folks, just starting with Geo Caching. My aunt and uncle started our family on it. I have not hunted out the local caches just yet but will. I already have ideas of 3 caches to place locally.

But to the point ofmy topic. I know from what I read, your cache usually contains items that people take and leave something behind. Has anyone actually "Created" their own treasures or momentos for people to take with them?

Being a bit of a handyman, I design 3D game pieces to played with my board games group. So creating a master "token" and making molds in an easy process for me.

I have created as of last night two different sized tokens to be placed in my caches to be taken by who ever finds the cache as a souviner. It shows a picture that represents the town, with the location engraved in the outer edge. The back side lists the name of the local town river.

My intention is to allow others to take a souviner if they think it is a worthy token of a cache they visited. Since I will have a mold made I will be able to replace the tokens when ever needed with an endless supply. I plan on making some of them to look almost like pirate treasure coins.

Anyone else have handmade treasures for the finders?

---------

Ok here is a picture of the masters before the molds are made. You can see the canadian coins for size comparison. I will eventually post pictures of some of them painted in various paint schemes. Let me know what you think.

geocoin1.jpggeocoin2.jpg

To Give you an idea how well plaster made items can be painted and done up, here is an example of my gaming tiles made from plaster that I designed. So the tokens can have a similar paint quality.

catanbig3.jpg

Edited by lordzogat

Yes, a lot of cachers make signature items and those things are very popular as trade items in caches. Some of us collect signature items as well as make them. Your idea sounds great, I would love to find that in a cache. Don't limit them to just your own caches either,use them for trade items in caches you find.

We have a few cachers in our area who make their own items. A few years back a local cacher use to make buttons about 2" in diameter that a finder could take from the cache with that cache's name on it. They were pretty neat. I've also come across a cache where the owner hand made earrings for folks to take, which was fun for me, but I don't know about the male cachers out there..ha!

I think the finders will appreciate that time and effort you took to craft your own items. ;)

edit: sometimes what I write doesn't even make sense to me...I fixed it.

Edited by butrflybec

It's a great idea. Personal signature items are usually sought after and collectible. Something handmade is even more special.

I've been making wooden GeoNickels to leave. Due to an utter lack of hand art skills, I do them in the computer and engrave the wood using a laser engraver/cutter...

geonickel1.jpg

I also made a series for my first cache with the cache name and coordinates. There was one First to Find nickel and five numbered "I found it" nickels.

From that picture, your's are going to look great!

Hi folks, just starting with Geo Caching. My aunt and uncle started our family on it. I have not hunted out the local caches just yet but will. I already have ideas of 3 caches to place locally.

But to the point ofmy topic. I know from what I read, your cache usually contains items that people take and leave something behind. Has anyone actually "Created" their own treasures or momentos for people to take with them?

Being a bit of a handyman, I design 3D game pieces to played with my board games group. So creating a master "token" and making molds in an easy process for me.

I have created as of last night two different sized tokens to be placed in my caches to be taken by who ever finds the cache as a souviner. It shows a picture that represents the town, with the location engraved in the outer edge. The back side lists the name of the local town river.

My intention is to allow others to take a souviner if they think it is a worthy token of a cache they visited. Since I will have a mold made I will be able to replace the tokens when ever needed with an endless supply. I plan on making some of them to look almost like pirate treasure coins.

Anyone else have handmade treasures for the finders?

---------

Ok here is a picture of the masters before the molds are made. You can see the canadian coins for size comparison. I will eventually post pictures of some of them painted in various paint schemes. Let me know what you think.

geocoin1.jpggeocoin2.jpg

To Give you an idea how well plaster made items can be painted and done up, here is an example of my gaming tiles made from plaster that I designed. So the tokens can have a similar paint quality.

catanbig3.jpg

Wow, first off, let me say that you have some really cool skills! Another thing that you have that sadly a lot of cachers do not is enthusiasm to place caches with good swag. My I make a suggestion though? Don't hide any caches until you have found at least 15, this is be no means a requirement, it's just that too often newbies will place caches that are not quite what they should be. I hope that you do place some, and soon too. You need to consider some things before you do though, and I really think the only way to be able to consider all of the necessary aspects to find a few first.

Enough of all that though. Great work on the personal token, that is totally awesome!! I wish I could do that kind of stuff, that's so cool. Thanks for sharing!

<snip>

<snip>

I really think you should mail some of those to me so I can approve them before you start putting them in caches . . . :D;)

But, seriously, those are very, very cool. :D I wish I had talent like that! I think there will be a race to find caches after you have found them because people will want to collect your tokens.

Wow, first off, let me say that you have some really cool skills! Another thing that you have that sadly a lot of cachers do not is enthusiasm to place caches with good swag. May I make a suggestion though? Don't hide any caches until you have found at least 15, this is be no means a requirement, it's just that too often newbies will place caches that are not quite what they should be. I hope that you do place some, and soon too. You need to consider some things before you do though, and I really think the only way to be able to consider all of the necessary aspects to find a few first.

I concur. Find a few more caches before you start hiding them. ;)

The caches will not be super difficult to get to (easy access by all), but I may be making up some of my own capsule containers to hide the micro cache or cache box in, such as hollowed out logs or stumps or pinecones etc etc. So the difficulty will not be reaching the item (other than finding the right spot) but in finding the hidden container. But there will be the appropriate clues and hints on the cache page. But I will certainly look for a few of the local ones as per your suggestions.

I also have a nano cache that I will place (the capsule will be a magnetic blinky light). It will again not be difficult for any one to get to the spot, but will be in the finding of it, but the clues will drastically reduce the area to search. The clue being that its magnetic would help too.

I will also be keeping strongly in mind to place the cache such that no enviromental damage is done in the placing or finding of the cache. However you can only try to control the searchers behaviours or path to a certain degree.

Edited by lordzogat

Here are shots of the molds beginning to set. Lego and packing tape are excellent tools for making any shape needed for a mold to set.

The large token is being made in a block that will form two halves (if all works out). If not I will have to do molds of each half individually. However this causes more work in the casting stages.

geocoin3.jpg

Edited by lordzogat

catanbig3.jpg

Cool I must have replied to quickly cause I didn't see them last time I replied.

They are excellent, sure would be checking the caches you visit after you if I could grab some of them!

WOW! Those are awesome. :D I love collect signature items! When you put them in the cache be sure to put the pieces in a small ziplock baggie. That way if the cache gets damp you don't have to worry about the pieces turning into mush. You can find the tiny baggies at office supply stores and craft stores.

I make wooden nickels. I am releasing a new handrawn design to give out at the upcoming flashmob.

WOW! Those are awesome. :D I love collect signature items! When you put them in the cache be sure to put the pieces in a small ziplock baggie. That way if the cache gets damp you don't have to worry about the pieces turning into mush. You can find the tiny baggies at office supply stores and craft stores.

I make wooden nickels. I am releasing a new handrawn design to give out at the upcoming flashmob.

Certainly will do. The plaster will be sealed to become harder than it is after its cast. Its dunked in a schellac/methal Hydrate bath as the schelac seals the pours providing some solidity.

I also intend to number them and put a small card with them asking the taker to email me when they take it to keep or if they pass it on.

By the way, the molds are set and being tested now. The block mold (my first try at this style) appears to have turned out well, not the first test will see how well the cast comes out.

I just tried to extract the small token from the smaller mold and the cast is a good quality, but it wasn't try enough and snapped....lol I didn't wait long enough. I will certainly not touch the bigger one yet for a bit.

--------------------

Ok the First casts are done. The original master tokens are slightly browned from the residue mold making resin. The molds turned out good. The cast tokens will never be as perfect as the master token.

geocoin4.jpg

geocoin5.jpg

Edited by lordzogat

SWEEEET! I have made my own molds (cough: cough: ripped off) designs from others to make pins and "icons" for cache trades and stocking caches. Might I suggest a couple of options for making better copies: (1) carve a 'vent' hole to allow gasses to escape from the casting you are making... makes for less bubbling and such in the cast. (2) Take the time to make a full 2 piece mold with dimples/divots to line up the 2 pieces of your mod to make reproduction easier/smoother. Can offer suggestions etc if interested. (My OTHER addiction/hobby), including both mold and casting materials... I don't recognize what you are using as your mold making material... though the lego frames are familiar :)

Feel free to contact me at my e-mail of oakthorn@hotmail.com

Greetings...

Wait a minute!

Are those handmade tiles for Settlers of Catan!?!?!

Do you sell those?

John 'Imagicka' Blackthorne

http://lost.eu/6aeb7

Yup, they are, you can find them on ebay.

LZ

Hey Lordzogat, There is a whole forum on the hitchiker section for Wooden Nickel Trading. There is a very active crew there of somewhat ravenous cachers (myself included) who are eager to trade such sig items. Your molded coins would definitely attract lots of attention there. I'd invite you to check out that page, and be prepared to get emails from lots of us wanting to trade sig for sig.

Boots...