Cache with Coin to Discover?

Fluttershy

Is it possible to create a Cache which holds a Trackable Geocoin

which is permanently affixed to the Cache, left for anyone who visits the Cache

the Ability to Discover and Log it?

Has it been done before?

Would this be allowed by Groundspeak?

I'm thinking of a Drilled Geocoin with a Lock, or something along those lines.

Thanks in advance! :lol:

It is not a coin, but I have a TB sticker on my Tahoe. Everyone who sees it can discover it. I don't see why your idea wouldn't work with a coin attached to a cache. I have also seen coins as jewelery worn around the neck, wire wrapped by 0R0B0RUS (I hope I got that right).

Depending upon the coin, you may want to bolt the cache down as well so that it doesn't wander off with the coin still attached. :lol:

Go for it. However don't be surprised if someone takes it as a personal challenge to steal the thing. :)

Or the whole cache. SO, with that dflye is right :D

I've not heard of this being a problem. The coin is physically out there for somebody to see, feel, touch and get the number from.

b933f696-366c-4322-be42-8e7fa1233cf7.jpg

I am just kidding with you Flying Spaghetti Monster!! :lol:

I think that it is a good idea. Wether you release it or fasten it to a cache, it could end up missing. It is a chance you take when releasing any trackable. I would also attach a laminated note that said only for discovery or something along those lines.

Edited by dardevle

This one in Maine - GC1BERY - has a coin taped to the cover of an Ammo Box. So far, so good, it has stayed there and only been discovered. It is there for all to see and to me a legitimate discovery.

Sure hope the owner does understand the risk - but, not my problem - not my coin.

Or you could do the reverse, attach a mini-cache to a traveling coin, which is something I've released with reasonable success (where sometimes another coin or swag will hitch a ride in the mini lock-n-lock attached to the coin when the coin moves from cache to cache):

dflye's Cache Movers Coin and Mini-Cache

Not exactly a locationless cache, but pretty close! :lol:

That would have to be a travel bug/trackable coin with a traveling log book, since moving caches are not approved.

Anthus did this with one of their decoder coins. The decoder coin was required to solve the puzzle. If you had one you could bypass one of the stages. Not sure if they had the actual coin out there or a facsimile. but I thought they might of had the real coin, at least the beginning.

Someone else used their coin and did attach it to the cache. Check out GCWBY9.

as I sat here reading this topic a couple of ideas popped into mind on how you could mount the coin to the cache. now these ideas are dependant on the type of container you could/would use.

1. if you used a plastic container

A) drill two wholes in the top of the container, a little wider than the coin itself

B ) drill a whole (possibly two) into the coin

C) use a high strength cable or wire, something like piano wire

D) thread the wire through both the coin and and the top of the container

E) this is just a suggestion, but if you could have someone weld the wire end together it would be much more difficult to remove the coin

2. if you use a metal container (much of the above could work here as well) or

A) this is a one step fix. weld the coin directly to the cache. find someone with a welder, doesnt matter which type and offer them a couple of dollars to weld the coin right to the cache container or lid.

those are my two ideas for securing the coin to the cache. feel free to disregard any ideas from me for I've only found one cache so far and would probably be considered a total noob :P:P

ok in all serious though I'd definitely make it a point to go find a cache like this if there was one in my area.

Edited by Hunter of Sock Monsters

I have a series of letterbox hybrid caches hidden along Indian Creek in Olathe with a unique geocoin attached to the cover of each cache using gorilla glue. One time a newby cacher pried them all off and logged them. When he went to log them he discovered they were supposed to stay with the cache and he mailed them back to me from out of state. I glued them back on and posted notes in the cache next to the coin telling folks to leave them and log them as discover only. Since then they have stayed in place except for the one that went missing. It has give much joy to cachers to not only find the cache but also get the icon on their profile page for each coin. Here is the first cache in the series: GC13W7E

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...3e-e9375a05e520

Here is the letterbox story with clues:

http://www.letterboxing.org/BoxView.php?bo...the_Silver_Beav

Or you could do the reverse, attach a mini-cache to a traveling coin, which is something I've released with reasonable success (where sometimes another coin or swag will hitch a ride in the mini lock-n-lock attached to the coin when the coin moves from cache to cache):

dflye's Cache Movers Coin and Mini-Cache

Not exactly a locationless cache, but pretty close! :P

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That's a great idea! I haven't started going out and actually caching yet but have been following this forum for a few months now and have been building a cache of my own since late January/early February (don't ask, I have a tendancy not to do anything simple). I wondered what would happen if two or more coins pooled up into a single cache. With your suggestion, they would all keep flowing along, albeit as a growing cluster. What happens when the cluster gets bigger than the container?

I also noticed that your cache is currently in my back yard (30 minutes away), up from North Carolina. If I get some time over the next week or so, maybe I'll try to find it and mark it as my official first cache found.

I remember seeing a photo in a thread a long time ago (well over a year ago), and I think it was posted by 007BigD (but I am probably wrong), and I think it was of one of larry739's caches (but I am probably wrong again) - I went and looked but couldn't find anything that matched it - anyway... the photo. It was of a cache - something like a 5L plastic container - and it had at least 3 geocoins glued (or thats what it looked like) to the inside of the lid.