NEED HELP! Errant cacher...

ArtieD

Hey all...

I need help.

For a little while there has been a cacher that has come to some of my caches and has logged finds on them. On some, however, s/he has logged with a simple "found" or in some cases a single letter. I was notified a while ago that he logged two of my caches (GC13FYQ & GC10AT0) as "found" today. I went to check on them and there was no signature at all by this person.

I have sent this person two emails letting them know I did not allow online logs without a signature and they have so far been ignored. On one of the caches I listed above I have deleted the bogus log twice. Now, I know this person has found some of mine and I am happy for that but this is getting quite annoying.

What can I do? Ideas? Advice?

Edited by Arthur & Trillian

Hey all...

I need help.

For a little while there has been a cacher that has come to some of my caches and has logged finds on them. On some, however, s/he has logged with a simple "found" or in some cases a single letter. I was notified a while ago that he logged two of my caches (GC13FYQ & GC10AT0) as "found" today. I went to check on them and there was no signature at all by this person.

I have sent this person two emails letting them know I did not allow online logs without a signature and they have so far been ignored. On one of the caches I listed above I have deleted the bogus log twice. Now, I know this person has found some of mine and I am happy for that but this is getting quite annoying.

I am a bit confused by your letter. Are you saying that the person did not place any entry or mark at all in your logbook at all, or rather, are you saying that they have placed a mark in the logbook, but that it was nothing more, in some cases, than a single letter or the word "found"?

To me, there would be some modest difference between each of the above scenarios, but nonetheless, unless some special exceptional circumstances existed (i.e., such as the case of a locally-famous cacher who is already well-known across the region for leaving as their logbook signature simply a date and a single letter, etc.), I would likely not accept either scenario as a valid find. I am not speaking here about right or wrong, but simply how I would handle such a situation personally.

I am a bit confused by your letter. Are you saying that the person did not place any entry or mark at all in your logbook at all, or rather, are you saying that they have placed a mark in the logbook, but that it was nothing more, in some cases, than a single letter or the word "found"?

To me, there would be some modest difference between each of the above scenarios, but nonetheless, unless some special exceptional circumstances existed (i.e., such as the case of a locally-famous cacher who is already well-known across the region for leaving as their logbook signature simply a date and a single letter, etc.), I would likely not accept either scenario as a valid find. I am not speaking here about right or wrong, but simply how I would handle such a situation personally.

I'm sorry if I wasn't very clear. There is no signature on the physical cache logbook...this person merely puts "found" or a single letter on the cache page log.

If they only logged online with a single letter, how can you be sure they didn't mark a single letter or other mark in the logbook. ultimatly it's up to you to decide whether they will get to keep the found log. Is it important to you that they sign the book? Do you believe they are logging online when they never actually found the cache? Do you want to delete their logs because you think they didn't find them, or because they didn't sign the book? How would you feel if someone deleted logs on caches you found? Are they trying to get on your nerves? Is there something about your caches that would just make them go "Ugh" and walk away after they saw it, but still want their smiley(I'm not saying there is, just proposing possibilities)

I guess some people lig very short logs as an expression of dissappointment in a Cache. I try to atleast log in full words, but once i was so appalled by the condition of a Cache all I could muster was

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?LU...2a-fca23d81c0cc

I was speachless.

I'm sorry if I wasn't very clear. There is no signature on the physical cache logbook...this person merely puts "found" or a single letter on the cache page log.

what is the single letter? if it's a "T" or "F", is that any different than a "TFTC"

Considering they continue to re-log the caches I would have to assume they got your emails. Particularly the Deleted Log Notification.

Granted I'm not an ABL club member, but you do have to consider they will probably continue to re-log once you delete it. You up for the fight?

Edited by BlueDeuce

Hey all...

I need help.

I have advice, just get over it. :unsure:

Is it that big of a deal anyways?

I'm sure it happens alot.

Thanks much for the clarification. If that is all they are doing, i.e., no sig at all in the logbook, and only a small notation such as a letter for their online log (or even a lengthy online log, for that matter, absent a sig in the physical logbook) on the cache page, I would take either one of the following two actions without question (and each of these are what I have always done in such cases in the past):

• delete the online log entry, and continue deleting it if the cacher tries to reinstate it
  • OR
  • leave the online entry in place, but place a permanent log note from the cache owner (i.e., yourself) immediately above or below it, noting that the above or below find log from "XXX" cacher on XX/XX/XXXX date is obviously a fraud, and a blatant, bizarre, audacious and desperate one (see footnote #1) at that (!!!), but that you are leaving it in place because it is still a part of the history of the cache and it is also a great example of a notable extremely silly and bizarre behavior.

footnote #1: The blatancy, bizarreness and audacity of these fraudulent logs reminds me of the blatancy, bizarreness and utter audacity of my own attempts to claim a find for every cache located in the contiguous mainland states of the USA every time I take a cross-country airline flight from the east coast to the west coast, or vice versa, (reasoning that I was within line of sight of the cache hide sites for most of these caches at some point during the flight), and my equally desperate attempts to log 10,000 finds/attendeds for an event because my heart beat an average of 3,600 times per hour for the 2.77 hours that I was present at the event.

<snip>

footnote #1: The blatancy, bizarreness and audacity of these fraudulent logs reminds me of the blatancy, bizarreness and utter audacity of my own attempts to claim a find for every cache located in the contiguous mainland states of the USA every time I take a cross-country airline flight from the east coast to the west coast, or vice versa, (reasoning that I was within line of sight of the cache hide sites for most of these caches at some point during the flight), and my equally desperate attempts to log 10,000 finds/attendeds for an event because my heart beat an average of 3,600 times per hour for the 2.77 hours that I was present at the event.

Postscript to the footnote: Like I told you before I deleted your logs, Vinny, it doesn't count as a find if you claim you never saw the cache, create a replacement cache and sign the logbook, then throw it out the window from 20,000 feet. Though it did move me to petition Groundspeak for a new attrib - "Danger: Falling bison tubes!"

Personally, and back on topic... no signature in the logbook = no online log, in my book. That's how I play the game; I would keep deleting their logs.

I'd delete the logs once or twice, but I wouldn't make a career of it. If they are that dead set on padding their numbers what do I care? The numbers have no meaning anymore anyway, with so many people using so many different standards by which to play this game.

<snip>

Postscript to the footnote: Like I told you before I deleted your logs, Vinny, it doesn't count as a find if you claim you never saw the cache, create a replacement cache and sign the logbook, then throw it out the window from 20,000 feet. Though it did move me to petition Groundspeak for a new attrib - "Danger: Falling bison tubes!"

Personally, and back on topic... no signature in the logbook = no online log, in my book. That's how I play the game; I would keep deleting their logs.

GRRRR! Sioneva, you are sooo dense sometimes, it amazes me! Due to your malicious maligning of my geocaching behaviors, I wish to publicly go on record here in declaring that I have NEVER dropped a throw-down replacement cache from an altitude of 20,000 feet, and rather, all of my throw-down caches (which included my sig in the log!) were dropped from altitudes of 40,890 feet or higher! And, they were wrapped in tissue paper so that they could not cause much bodily harm if they happened to land on someone! Geez! Get your facts straight, girl! :D

:blink::D

:huh:;)

:unsure::lol:

:D

Edited by Vinny & Sue Team

Are they local? I'm inclined to be more forgiving if they are within, say, 20 miles or so...some folks just don't write much.

But listen: you are the owner of the cache, and your decision is final. Period.

Within reason of course.

:unsure:

Hey all...

I need help.

I'd say let it go. Threre is no prize money to be found here.

Hey all...

I need help.

I have advice, just get over it. :unsure:

Just remember, Its a hobby/sport. Just as in other hobbies/sports there are those who bend the rules and become known for that. I wouldn't waste too much time on the issue. The exceptions would be an FTF or a difficult cache (terrain, size/hide, puzzle, etc).

Hey all...

I need help.

I have advice, just get over it. :grin:

So you're saying to lower your standards to avoid being frustrated? Sounds weak to me. I say do what makes you happy. Uphold your standards and set an example for the rest of the local cachers. There's nothing wrong with being a leader.

Did you state in the cache listing that in loggers must adhere to certain standards? If not, then perhaps you should.

No offense meant to quadcity007, the poster quoted above, because I realize that he/she was only responding to the bizarre situation at hand, but, really, my response to the comment/suggestion quoted above appears below:

It is quite sickening if geocaching has degenerated to the point where the owner of a physical cache emplacement which contains a logbook must even consider -- if only briefly -- the option of noting on the cache listing page that cachers wishing to claim a find must have actually found the cache and must also have signed the log, much as if it were an "additional logging requirement" (ALR). Disgusting! In fact, I suspect that this whole thread that is unfolding here is one of the first birth pains of the End of Days, the Beginning of the End Time. It is bad enough that religious and Biblical experts and theologians were forced several years ago to upgrade the term "The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse", which had traditionally been War, Famine, Disease and Death, to "The Five Horsemen of the Apocalypse", which included the newest and Fifth Horseman, Lame Urban Microcaches, and now we are witnessing the despicable spectre once again of depravity run rampant in the world, to the extent that religious experts, Biblical scholars and theologians are now forced to upgrade the descriptive term for the Horsemen once again, this time to "The Six Horsemen of the Apocalypse", including as the Sixth Horseman none other than "Claiming a find without having found the cache nor having signed the log." Surely, in light of these recent "evolutions" in the sport of geocaching, the End Times are upon us and Satan and his minions are gloating gleefully in their private lair in Hades!

Hey all...

I need help.

I have advice, just get over it. :laughing:

So you're saying to lower your standards to avoid being frustrated? Sounds weak to me. I say do what makes you happy. Uphold your standards and set an example for the rest of the local cachers. There's nothing wrong with being a leader.

I'm just saying, why get your panties in a bunch. Life is too short to sweat the little things. :grin:

Sign long = get smiley

Don't sign log = don't be surprised to find your on-line log deleted.

Cache owner's prerogative.

Not to start something but there are always reasons why a log was not signed. Have you ever lost or forgot to grab the pen on the way there? It has happened to me before.

Edited by joranda

Sign long = get smiley

Not to start something but there are always reasons why a log was not signed. Have you ever lost or forgot to grab the pen on the way there? It has happened to me before.

I've done that a couple of times. Usually I go back with a writing implement and sign the log. Once I hiked .6 of a mile back to the car, got a pencil, hiked .6 of a mile back to the cache and signed the log. On another occasion I charred the end of a stick and used that to sign the log, it was near a mile back to the parking.

If you don't sign my log you didn't find my cache. Period! Now, once again, if you keep re-logging the cache page after a deletion I'm not going to make a big stink out of it. I know you are lame and you know you are lame. It's a game and I'm not going to get worked up over it. I may mention it in conversation to other cachers I know. That way we can all have a good laugh at your expense.

(note-You, as used in this post, refers to the great anonymous you that is often used for an example. What, are you paranoid?)

(note-That last note was a joke. It may be a lame one but the least you could do is give me a little chuckle so as not to hurt my feeling.)

(note-This is the last note as it just goes down hill from here.)

Keep in mind "If you don't sign the log, it's not a find" is a forum rule, and wasn't included in the original rules of geocaching. They may not read the forums. Some of us still hold the simple definition of find.

How does that compare with this-

What are the rules in Geocaching?

Geocaching is a relatively new phenomenon. Therefore, the rules are very simple:

1. Take something from the cache

2. Leave something in the cache

3. Write about it in the logbook

from the GC FAQ.....not the forums?

Sign long = get smiley

I've done that a couple of times. Usually I go back with a writing implement and sign the log. Once I hiked .6 of a mile back to the car, got a pencil, hiked .6 of a mile back to the cache and signed the log. On another occasion I charred the end of a stick and used that to sign the log, it was near a mile back to the parking.

If you don't sign my log you didn't find my cache. Period! Now, once again, if you keep re-logging the cache page after a deletion I'm not going to make a big stink out of it. I know you are lame and you know you are lame. It's a game and I'm not going to get worked up over it. I may mention it in conversation to other cachers I know. That way we can all have a good laugh at your expense.

(note-You, as used in this post, refers to the great anonymous you that is often used for an example. What, are you paranoid?)

(note-That last note was a joke. It may be a lame one but the least you could do is give me a little chuckle so as not to hurt my feeling.)

(note-This is the last note as it just goes down hill from here.)

I never ever log my finds unless I've signed the log. If I don't sign it, I won't log it. Usually I have a pen with me but on occasions I have had to go back to get one. If the paper in the cache is too wet, I tear some paper off my cache page. I just don't see why the sport has turned around so much.

Keep in mind "If you don't sign the log, it's not a find" is a forum rule, and wasn't included in the original rules of geocaching. They may not read the forums. Some of us still hold the simple definition of find.

How does that compare with this-

What are the rules in Geocaching?

Geocaching is a relatively new phenomenon. Therefore, the rules are very simple:

1. Take something from the cache

2. Leave something in the cache

3. Write about it in the logbook

from the GC FAQ.....not the forums?

When you write a check, in the lower right hand corner, do you write about the check or sign it? "Write about it in the logbook" and "If you don't sign the log, it's not a find" are not the same thing.

The rules are simple enough WRITE IN THE LOGBOOK. Its the only way to prove you were physically there. There is enough group caching that has people signing for their buddies when they are across town doing the same thing. Ever wonder why some can only get 20 caches in a day and others get over 100. Interesting, guess they ate their Wheaties. Some rules just need to stay put no matter how many variations there are to the game. If a person takes the time and expense to put a cache out for YOU to find then SIGN the dang log and at the very LEAST type 3 more letters T...FTC. Its sad to think you need to go checking behind adults.

I've hidden 101 caches that at completion the cacher gets a custom made trackable geocoin. (Not available any other way) I've thought about the possibility of people just logging on line without physically visiting the cache. I also have a life and can't go behind everybody to see if they actually signed it. Also what is interesting is when one goes missing there seems to be alot of on-line logs then its "gone" usually then reported by a local (who I know signs). So unfortuanately there is then no record and no one can get "busted".

Its a tough choice but as owner its YOUR cache and if YOU want to police the on-line logs against the physical logs that is YOUR choice! I agree with it and would do the same. Mainly as a point! The lazy cachers can feel free to press the groovy little ignore button on my hides if they don't like it! If all played with intergity we wouldn't have a thread like this!

I liked the posting a disclaimer like thing near their log too, if they are persistant enough to keep logging it. When it comes down to it, how much time and energy do you wanna spend on this person. If they can live with the lie then just spread the word about them to your buddies to warn them and wash your hands of them. :grin:

Cache On!

Edited by Laineybug

My own personal rule is that if I can't sign the log, I can't claim a smiley. I recently found an easy park-and-grab cache. The "lid" for the unusual cache container had been pushed in far enough that I wasn't able to remove the lid, get to the log sheet, and sign the log without risking damaging the container. I logged a DNF for the cache. I also added a "Needs Maintenance" note, since I was under the mistaken impression that the cache owner would need to repair the container.

A few days later, a friend of mine found the cache and did have the right tool with him. He was able to get to the log and claim a Find. As BigBill54 proved, my "Needs Maintenance" log wasn't really necessary; someone more clever than I figured out a way to get past the problem. My DNF stays, and I'll revisit the cache, with the proper tool next time.

If you read the other logs for this cache, you'll see that other cachers play by different rules. Someone signed the outside of the container; others claimed the Find even though they didn't sign the log. And that's fine with me as long as it's fine with the cache owner.

--Larry

The rules are simple enough WRITE IN THE LOGBOOK. Its the only way to prove you were physically there. There is enough group caching that has people signing for their buddies when they are across town doing the same thing. Ever wonder why some can only get 20 caches in a day and others get over 100. Interesting, guess they ate their Wheaties. Some rules just need to stay put no matter how many variations there are to the game. If a person takes the time and expense to put a cache out for YOU to find then SIGN the dang log and at the very LEAST type 3 more letters T...FTC. Its sad to think you need to go checking behind adults.

I've hidden 101 caches that at completion the cacher gets a custom made trackable geocoin. (Not available any other way) I've thought about the possibility of people just logging on line without physically visiting the cache. I also have a life and can't go behind everybody to see if they actually signed it. Also what is interesting is when one goes missing there seems to be alot of on-line logs then its "gone" usually then reported by a local (who I know signs). So unfortuanately there is then no record and no one can get "busted".

Its a tough choice but as owner its YOUR cache and if YOU want to police the on-line logs against the physical logs that is YOUR choice! I agree with it and would do the same. Mainly as a point! The lazy cachers can feel free to press the groovy little ignore button on my hides if they don't like it! If all played with intergity we wouldn't have a thread like this!

I liked the posting a disclaimer like thing near their log too, if they are persistant enough to keep logging it. When it comes down to it, how much time and energy do you wanna spend on this person. If they can live with the lie then just spread the word about them to your buddies to warn them and wash your hands of them. :grin:

Cache On!

So you are saying someone can't get over 100 caches in a day with someone else signing the logs else where for you. I know it can be done. You just need to plan your day out. :laughing:

I understand if there is no signature for a feason, but that reason needs to be stated on the online page.

I found the container but did not sign log because:

it was wet

I forgot a writting utensile

too many muggles nearby, didn't want them coming and distroying as soon as I left

in the fun of trading I completly forgot to sign till I was home

micro in yet another busy parking lot, far too populated to be reasonable to actually handle

etc

If theres no online note of why no sign then I question wheather you actually found it. Innocent until proven guilty, until you can prove you are guilty of being there I am likely to find reasonable doubt and think you never touched it.

Ask them why they didn't sign and that they need to sign or the smilie will be deleted, if they can't give a reason for not signing then it's understandable to request they return and sign or it be deleted.

Cache On!

So you are saying someone can't get over 100 caches in a day with someone else signing the logs else where for you. I know it can be done. You just need to plan your day out. :laughing:

Not at all just find it curious and know of some that do it the way I said. If you can get 100 caches in one day. More power to you.

I understand if there is no signature for a feason, but that reason needs to be stated on the online page.

I found the container but did not sign log because:

it was wet

I forgot a writting utensile

too many muggles nearby, didn't want them coming and distroying as soon as I left

in the fun of trading I completly forgot to sign till I was home

micro in yet another busy parking lot, far too populated to be reasonable to actually handle

etc

If theres no online note of why no sign then I question wheather you actually found it. Innocent until proven guilty, until you can prove you are guilty of being there I am likely to find reasonable doubt and think you never touched it.

Ask them why they didn't sign and that they need to sign or the smilie will be deleted, if they can't give a reason for not signing then it's understandable to request they return and sign or it be deleted.

The only one I'd "excuse" is the log wet since that is my responsibility.

No signature equals no on-line log. We all know that.

It doesn't have to be spelled out in each and every cache listing that gets published.

If they are grown up enough to play, they are grown up enough to play by the rules and standards set and established over the years. They do not need to be baby-sat.

Delete their logs, and maybe they'll figure it out.

Sign long = get smiley

Yes. I lost my pen once! Fortunately, there was a pencil in the cache. Found the pen on my way out. Since then I carry a spare in my backpack. Call me OC. I did allow a log on a 'wet log', once. But, silly me, I always have a piece of paper with me, if only a dollar bill. Others will sign in mud, or blood, if needs be. (Nasty May flies out today!!) I can't really think of any other valid reasons.