Jump Off a Bridge to Get a Cache 2

4C&C

Ok, so those of you who do not know this Topic can review it here it is a good ole story of an honest cacher trying to do the right thing... I cannot continue it as the forum police closed it because some cacher's began with foul language and name calling.

The Story http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=189195

Those of you who know the story already I have a new question about this. First the GeoCops got involved and Archived the cache permanently. This was not my intent however I think that it was in the best interest for the safety of all Cachers though, this opinion was brought about by listening to all of you and your opinions. NOW The owner has now logged in and deleted my "Found it" comment. I had clearly found it and feel as if I have been robbed of being the last Cacher to have found this now legendary cache. Is that appropriate? Or should I be due the credit of finding it?

Please review the story before commenting so you can understand what has transpired.

Ultimately, it is the cache owner who determines what is, and what is not, a legitimate find on one of their caches. There are no rules in place regarding what, exactly constitutes a find, so the owner can interpret it broadly. My question would be, did you sign the log? For our hunts, that is the standard for logging a find. For our owned caches, we are far more lenient, having never deleted anyone's logs.

While the owner of this cache may be, uh... difficult, it is his cache and he had the right to delete your log.

All I can suggest is that you move past this.

however I think that it was in the best interest for the safety of all Cachers though

First, I'm not sure I believe that cache must be in a "safe" location. There are many caches where one needs to repel, etc. in order to find a cache. I believe it was archived because its location can cause a commotion: a "device" found on a major bridge seems to draw a lot of attention.

Unfortunately, owners can delete your log. Really, that's it. After bringing this issue from the first thread here, I would have just assumed that the owner was going to do that. Is it "fair"? Probably not. But it is the owner's prerogative.

I've seen many posts in other threads stating opinions that if you didn't sign the log, then you shouldn't claim the find. When I was new, I claimed a find for finding the bits and pieces of a Cache after it was plowed under (I confirmed with the Park Worker what the other things he found were, and the bits of container were indeed the Cache) But I probabaly wouldn't do that today.

Either way, I wouldn't really be too worried about it.

But if you are... His profile doesn't show up anymore, so you might be able to log your find now, and if the owners account is cancelled, he may not be able to delete it. But don't tell anyone that it was my idea. I wouldn't want to start big fight over the issue.

Edited by WRITE SHOP ROBERT
... His profile doesn't show up anymore, so you might be able to log your find now, and if the owners account is cancelled, he may not be able to delete it. But don't tell anyone that it was my idea. I wouldn't want to start big fight over the issue.
The link is broken, probably intentionally. The mods removed the reference to the CO's name. Why would they remove that but leave the link to the cache?

They wouldn't didn't.

Ok, so those of you who do not know this Topic can review it here it is a good ole story of an honest cacher trying to do the right thing... I cannot continue it as the forum police closed it because some cacher's began with foul language and name calling.

The Story http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=189195

Those of you who know the story already I have a new question about this. First the GeoCops got involved and Archived the cache permanently. This was not my intent however I think that it was in the best interest for the safety of all Cachers though, this opinion was brought about by listening to all of you and your opinions. NOW The owner has now logged in and deleted my "Found it" comment. I had clearly found it and feel as if I have been robbed of being the last Cacher to have found this now legendary cache. Is that appropriate? Or should I be due the credit of finding it?

Please review the story before commenting so you can understand what has transpired.

You tried to do the right thing and it didnt work. I would have been a little upset also. I would have also forgotten about the keyholder, the bridge, the CO, and the smiley within 20 minutes and moved on to something else. :laughing: Good luck.

You need to park your attitude after that first post, or you'll see this thread locked down, too.

Sincerely,

The Forum Police

I'm confused...what "attitude" are you refering to in this post recent post?

Sure, I know his first post showed a lot of attitude...and I had it too because the cache hider wasn't very nice to me as well...but I don't understand what you are seeing in this post that has made you make this comment (see, I learned to word things differently after I got a warning from a moderator).

however I think that it was in the best interest for the safety of all Cachers though

First, I'm not sure I believe that cache must be in a "safe" location. There are many caches where one needs to repel, etc. in order to find a cache. I believe it was archived because its location can cause a commotion: a "device" found on a major bridge seems to draw a lot of attention.

Per the guidelines:

"Caches may be quickly archived if we see the following (which is not inclusive):

* Caches near, on or under public structures deemed potential or possible targets for terrorist attacks. These may include but are not limited to highway bridges, dams, government buildings, elementary and secondary schools, and airports."

According to mtn-man, and based on the guidelines, this cache never should have been listed. This is why mtn-man archived this cache claiming that the posting of the cache to begin with was an error error.

Bottom line...I agree with Team Gumbo...let it go. Karma tells us that this guy will get what is coming to him soon enough. (Watch <I>My Name is Earl</I> and you will understand all about Karma.

His profile doesn't show up anymore, so you might be able to log your find now, and if the owners account is cancelled, he may not be able to delete it. But don't tell anyone that it was my idea. I wouldn't want to start big fight over the issue.

Actually his profile is still there. I just Checked it. :laughing: He just sounds like an unhappy person from his profile :rolleyes: .

<snip>

Email Address: (intentionally left blank)

Occupation "Happy Go Lucky" Loser

</snip>

If you really want to stir him up Go back and relog your find. Then relog it everytime he deletes it. I hope you don't have any hides in the area.

I agree! Eventually he will probably get tired of deleting it and let it stay.

You need to park your attitude after that first post, or you'll see this thread locked down, too.

Sincerely,

The Forum Police

I'm confused...what "attitude" are you refering to in this post recent post?

Sure, I know his first post showed a lot of attitude...and I had it too because the cache hider wasn't very nice to me as well...but I don't understand what you are seeing in this post that has made you make this comment (see, I learned to word things differently after I got a warning from a moderator).

Calling the mods names is kinda attitudinal.
Per the guidelines:

"Caches may be quickly archived if we see the following (which is not inclusive):

* Caches near, on or under public structures deemed potential or possible targets for terrorist attacks. These may include but are not limited to highway bridges, dams, government buildings, elementary and secondary schools, and airports."

According to mtn-man, and based on the guidelines, this cache never should have been listed. This is why mtn-man archived this cache claiming that the posting of the cache to begin with was an error error.

The cache was not archived for safety reasons.
Bottom line...I agree with Team Gumbo...let it go. Karma tells us that this guy will get what is coming to him soon enough. (Watch <I>My Name is Earl</I> and you will understand all about Karma.
I looked at the guy's profile and some of his caches and logs. He seems like a fun guy and a credit to the game. I suspect that he was set off by the OP's and your communications. Sometimes, it's not what you have to say, but how you present it. Edited by sbell111

His profile doesn't show up anymore, so you might be able to log your find now, and if the owners account is cancelled, he may not be able to delete it. But don't tell anyone that it was my idea. I wouldn't want to start big fight over the issue.

Actually his profile is still there. I just Checked it. :laughing: He just sounds like an unhappy person from his profile :rolleyes: .

<snip>Occupation "Happy Go Lucky" Loser

</snip>

Just because people use self-deprecating humor doesn't mean that they are unhappy.
If you really want to stir him up Go back and relog your find. Then relog it everytime he deletes it. I hope you don't have any hides in the area.
You guys are missing the fact that the OP didn't sign the log.

Personally, I can't imagine why the OP would expect his found log not to be deleted.

[ Sometimes, it's not what you have to say, but how you present it.

How true, how true!

I work in a customer relations kind of field. I have to tell people 'no' on a daily basis. But it's all in the presentation that makes the difference.

I've had lots of customer service training and I have developed my own analogy for the concept that my coworkers like. Imagine that I invite my friend to my home for a steak dinner with all the trimmings. I tell him that I guarantee that the steak will be the best tasting, most mouth watering steak he has ever had.

When he arrives, I treat him like a king, and provide all the best condiments. However, when I bring out the steak, I present it to him on my trash can lid instead of a plate.

Regardless of how good the steak is or how nicely I have treated him, he still isn't going to enjoy the meal.

Presentation can be SO important that it nullifies the content if not done properly.

Personally, I can't imagine why the OP would expect his found log not to be deleted.

The OP would have signed the log if the cache had not fallen to its demise. If he had it in hand and it fell, I'd consider that a find. He offered to replace it and I'm sure he would have signed the log when it was replaced.

I have heard numerous people say "It's about the hunt" and "Play how you want" well I would have logged the find if I was in that situation. I looked at the cache page and it had a picture of the cache so if I was sure thats what I found then I would have logged it.

Edited by hardkoretech

The OP would have signed the log if the cache had not fallen to its demise. If he had it in hand and it fell, I'd consider that a find. He offered to replace it and I'm sure he would have signed the log when it was replaced.

I have heard numerous people say "It's about the hunt" and "Play how you want" well I would have logged the find if I was in that situation. I looked at the cache page and it had a picture of the cache so if I was sure thats what I found then I would have logged it.

That's fine. Then the owner deleted it and that's fine too.

Time to move on.

Complaining about forum moderators doing their job is not the best way to start a topic. The warning was to not continue going down that path.

I don't think calling a Moderator "Police" is calling them names and I don't think he was complaining about the fact it was shut down...he was just stating that it WAS shut down because of some jerk (ME) used bad language...something that will never happen again.

I have dealt with this person myself, and let me tell you that he is <I>anything</I> but a nice guy. He <I>may have been</I> a fun guy in the past, but now he isn't...IMHO....which is why I will never go after one of his caches ever again and why this is the last time I am going to waste any time or effort talking about him.

Cheers!

The OP would have signed the log if the cache had not fallen to its demise. If he had it in hand and it fell, I'd consider that a find. He offered to replace it and I'm sure he would have signed the log when it was replaced. ...
A couple thoughts.

First, the cache owner is the arbiter of what's a find. If he says that it's only a find if the log is signed, that is the rule.

Second, the OP never found the cache and had it in his hand. He bumped into it and it fell away.

Complaining about forum moderators doing their job is not the best way to start a topic. The warning was to not continue going down that path.
I don't think calling a Moderator "Police" is calling them names and I don't think he was complaining about the fact it was shut down...he was just stating that it WAS shut down because of some jerk (ME) used bad language...something that will never happen again.

I have dealt with this person myself, and let me tell you that he is <I>anything</I> but a nice guy. He <I>may have been</I> a fun guy in the past, but now he isn't...IMHO....which is why I will never go after one of his caches ever again and why this is the last time I am going to waste any time or effort talking about him.

Cheers!

With one easy decision, you've solved part of both of your problems.

Either way, your statement about previous interactions speaks to my point that there is likely much more to the story than has been presented. Funny, that's true about most of these axe grinding threads.

The OP would have signed the log if the cache had not fallen to its demise. If he had it in hand and it fell, I'd consider that a find. He offered to replace it and I'm sure he would have signed the log when it was replaced. ...
A couple thoughts.

First, the cache owner is the arbiter of what's a find. If he says that it's only a find if the log is signed, that is the rule.

Second, the OP never found the cache and had it in his hand. He bumped into it and it fell away.

Exactly. The OP never found the cache and held it and signed the log. End of story.

... NOW The owner has now logged in and deleted my "Found it" comment. I had clearly found it...

I think you spotted it and failed to retrieve it. No find. Had you gotten the cache, signed it and replaced it in it's correct spot, that would be a find.

If you want the log, offer the owner to relog it as a note or DNF.

Edited by Renegade Knight

I'll agree with this. Once upon a time, I was feeling for a cache on a very beautiful bridge. I knocked it into the river. I apologized profusely to the cache owner. We decided that it might now be a 5* for terrain.

I did not sign the log, so I never considered claiming it as a find. DNF with profuse apologies!

Wow. This place will get riled up over the silliest @#$%.

In every single thread

Well...that's good to know. This was only my second time coming onto Groundspeak and I thought it was just me!

It's not you. This time, anyway! :mad:

Visit a while, read the forum threads... it's like walking blindfolded in a minefield, you never know what or when but something's likely to blow up!

As far as the find, he who has the gold makes the rules, in geocaching the cache owner's decision is golden.

You're right I missed that. Didn't sign the log, didn't happen.

And to the original topic, yes I would jump off a bridge to get a cache. See avitar pic.

Edited by CSpenceFLY
Visit a while, read the forum threads... it's like walking blindfolded in a minefield, you never know what or when but something's likely to blow up!

I think that analogy is a bit harsh. I think the forums are more like a bar on the slightly shady side of town. It's perfectly safe to go in there, but you might want to look, listen, and learn a little about how it operates before opening your mouth and voicing a strong opinion. :D

Back to the OP-I also don't get why you want to claim a find on a cache you didn't sign the log on. The geocaching FAQ pages states "sign the log". The cache owner, no matter how un/friendly they may be owns the cache, and is the final arbiter of what qualifies as a find on their cache. I've seen several caches I was unable to get to; none of them are listed among my finds. I have posted DNA (did not attempt) notes instead of DNF's on a few though. :laughing:

Wow. This place will get riled up over the silliest @#$%.

In every single thread

Well...that's good to know. This was only my second time coming onto Groundspeak and I thought it was just me!

It's not you. This time, anyway! :laughing:

As far as the find, he who has the gold makes the rules, in geocaching the cache owner's decision is golden.

:laughing: agreed so I am trying to find the lighter side of each post and not react negatively

Would put signal eatting popcorn but A I don't know how and B it is way past my bedtime so too late to have a snack :laughing:

Oh and to the op sorry you were treated so bluntly/badly/poorly by the cache placer but by the sounds of things you didn't even know it was there till you bumped it. Sure is a good story though - any photos of the bridge seeing as I am too far away to visit it?