Archived Caches Still Being Found

Kojones

I just saw in another thread the mention of a cache that has been archived for 4 years, and still has many logs since... as recent as last month. Cache GC686F.

It sounds like it is up and running and in good shape from the logs. Anybody else know of others like this? Also, any general discussion on the topic would be fun.

I'm not really talking about cheaters logging archived caches to boost the numbers... I'm talking about legit finds.

Kojones

Sometimes a reviewer will archive the cache for one reason or another, and the CO will never go and get it

There's one that I'm going to try to go after either later this week or this weekend that was archived a couple of months ago - Nobody has found it since, but it's not exactly winter friendly - I'm hoping that it's still there

Is it owned by a particularly renowned cacher and there are people who are trying to find all of his caches?

Is it owned by a particularly renowned cacher and there are people who are trying to find all of his caches?

I'm not sure about the owner... hasn't logged on for a long while. I just noticed it when I went to check out a log entry referenced in a post.

Kojones

Well, In Ottawa we had this 'binthair' fellow who liked to hide the most difficult caches he could - He hasn't been around since 2005 (apparently engaging in other pursuits) The local caching community maintains his caches and it is considered an achievement to complete 'The binthair Challenge'

A post of mine in how to find archived caches?

About a week before the loss of the old maps, I had started a bookmark of archived caches that might be of interest in my area. I have started expanding it by fishing through profiles of cachers who have been caching longer & have many more finds than I. I'm sticking with a 30-40 mile radius for my list at this point, and am up to 41 archived caches. Many have "Final Logs" that sound like the cache is still in place:

• Don't know why this one is archived - it is present, the log is in good shape and it is totally and easily findable!

• No action on this cache...container appears to still be in place.

This next one has the following log:

• easy find a little nervous looked like private property.but hey it,s Sunday morning no one around and I just can't drive by an easy cache.took bic lighter left chattering teeth.

... followed by a SBA a year later, no finds or DNF's in between?!? The next one is the same exact situation, down to the SBA logger.

• NICE WALK. VERY QUIET THIS MORNING.TOOK WHISTLE LEFT DR. SUESS PIN .THANKS FOR A GREAT CACHE.

• no longer wish to maintain this cache

This last log is all the explanation we got when a local cacher archived all but 2 caches. The containers for at least 3 of those caches were left out as geolitter. I know because I went out and started them as new caches. The log is from one that I didn't get to (yet).

• The Cache is still there! My two nephews and I were out on our four wheelers Sunday morning, I knew we would be in the area of the cache and brought along GPS and coordinates. Although I was unsure of the status of the cache, my nephews had never been Geocaching before so we decided to try to find it anyway. We found the cache no problem, my nephews had a terrific time. The Cache obviosly hasen't been maintained for a while, the log book is kind of rough but the Cache is still intact!

• As the last one to find it, and knowing how it was hidden, I believe it is still there. It is vey unlikely that anyone would find it by mistake. Unless an animal managed to take it, the cache should still be there. It is hidden quite well and it was only after much searching and a stroke of luck that my wife and I managed to find it. I do think that the owner should check up on it just to make sure that it is there. Good luck!

• The cache is still intact.

The following log was posted well after cache was archived. This is not the cache owner. No mention of it being retrieved:

• This cache is back up and operational. BUT, due to the high waters of this summer, all original cache contense has been washed away. We were unable to find even the original cache container. So, as of last night, the cache is back up but without any treasures inside. We will be filling it shortly.

• Cache should not have been archived! The zoomer is still there!!
    ...and...
  • This one was in the gps from a long time ago. It is still there and in good shape. SL

...are from the same cache.

Only the last two logs are from the same cache, so that's 10 caches out of 41 that look like they may never have been retrieved. Almost 25%!

I didn't post the links for these so I'm not stepping on GS's current policy of hiding archived caches by making the list any easier to get to. If you have questions about any of these caches and their relevance, PM me. I'll send you a link, but won't post it here (even though that is what I really think I should do). ;)

From what I figure (highlighted in red) about 1/4 of archived caches around here are there to be found.

I've found 5 archived caches. One was reactivated after I found it, 3 are now mine, one is still archived & out there (far as I know...)

Red Hill Now mine

Mountain Throne Now mine

Eastern Belknap Overlook Now mine

Bullwinkle Still there?

hurrican point Active again.

Oh, I found this one the day it was archived. Teneriffe Conservancy (gas saver) Does that count? :grin:

I just saw in another thread the mention of a cache that has been archived for 4 years, and still has many logs since... as recent as last month. Cache GC686F.

It sounds like it is up and running and in good shape from the logs. Anybody else know of others like this? Also, any general discussion on the topic would be fun.

I'm not really talking about cheaters logging archived caches to boost the numbers... I'm talking about legit finds.

Kojones

I get email on THIS ARCHIVED CACHE being logged every week. ;)

I've found two archived caches. One was simply left out in the swamp by the owner, and the other was taken down, replaced and never reactivated. I logged both as finds.

Huh, I didn't know the site would permit new logs to be entered. I guess the only real risk you take as a cacher is that the cache may not be there.

Kojones

I know we one time tried find an archived cache, because the cache was archived due to construction in the cache area, blocking the cache, and the construction had finished. We did not find it, but it must've been due to the construction people perhaps finding it and removing it. ;)

Huh, I didn't know the site would permit new logs to be entered. I guess the only real risk you take as a cacher is that the cache may not be there.

You can continue to post logs (and finds) to an archived or disabled cache listing, unless the page has been "locked" by an administrator. It doesn't happen often unless there is some sort of abuse and the owner requests it.

That's probably a good thing, too, because I've found several caches that were active when I found them, but were archived before I could get home to log.

Edited by DavidMac

What if they're archived here but still active? Quest Master in Pennsylvania archived his many phenomenal caches here, but he continues to list them on other sites. New ones, too. I don't know whether he still allows logs on gc.com. His hides are so good that next time I'm in that area, I have to say I'll be looking at the site he uses first.

Edited by Dinoprophet

Kojones

There are cachers that will log finds on archived caches and claim in the log that they found the cache a long time ago and forgot to log the find. I know one cacher that does this. On one of my archived caches I posted a note that any future log would be deleted.

ecit to add:

I just checked some of my archived caches that were for member only, looking at the logs for who has looked at them, cachers are still looking them up after they have been archived. So I added a this note to some of my archived caches

Any future logs will be deleted, this includes any that are back dated

Edited by JohnnyVegas

There are cachers that will log finds on archived caches and claim in the log that they found the cache a long time ago and forgot to log the find. I know one cacher that does this. On one of my archived caches I posted a note that any future log would be deleted.

ecit to add:

I just checked some of my archived caches that were for member only, looking at the logs for who has looked at them, cachers are still looking them up after they have been archived. So I added a this note to some of my archived caches

Any future logs will be deleted, this includes any that are back dated

Claiming backdated finds on archived caches to pad your numbers? I usually reserve my judgment against those who like to play the game "their own way", but I'm sorry, that's just lame. :unsure: Thankfully I haven't noticed any of that in our area yet.

If this becomes a continuing problem, have you considered requesting that the caches be locked?

We found a cache once that had been Archived on this site, but was Active on another Site. We logged it as "Found" on GC.com.

Herein lies the issue. Why would you log it here if it is not listed here?

Because it was listed here, it still has a GC #, it is still located at those coordinates, and we found it because someone had "stale" data in their GPS unit.

I have logged other Archived caches that we found still in place. That one is no different from the others.

If that cache owner did not want us to log the Archived GC cache, they could have "Deleted" our logs, but they didn't.

I don't understand why a cache would be archived if it is still there to be found. And if it is still there, why would a cache owner have a problem with someone who finds it logging it?

I'm sure I'm just missing some simple explanation.

There's a few reasons a cache might be archived but still in place:
  • The cache was reported missing, and then archived. I found one of these accidentally, it had been rehidden where the CO couldn't find it.
  • The cache is still listed on another cache listing site. There is more than geocaching.com... :)
  • The cache owner was suddenly unable to maintain the cache, or retrieve it. (Health issues, death, a sudden move, prison :) )
  • The cache owner didn't care to retrieve the cache when they archived it. :)

Someone else can probably think of some more reasons. We'll see.

As far as the cache owner having a problem with someone logging it as a find, the only reason I can think of for such a response is that they still have it listed on one of the other sites and don't want to keep track of logs from both sites.

I think Johnny Vegas's objections to people logging his archived caches is that they are not, in fact, in place and that the loggers are cheating.

If they are in place, he ought to go get 'em rather than complain, as should any cache owner who has simply archived the cache & is still active on this site. :)

Edited by Too Tall John

Once upon a time, there was a cacher local to us, OtisPug, who was one of the original masters of the game. On Oct. 15, 2003, he archived most of his caches with the comment: "To much politics for a simple game."

We weren't playing that long ago so I don't have the back-story, but we have found 4 of his that are still around. Two of them are probably the best cammo/hide jobs that we've ever come across. Without extensive counting, I am pretty sure that his hides that are still around have been found more times since they were archived than before.

On another point, my son decided to set up his own account and back-logged something like 430 finds. If he couldn't log archived caches, his account would not be accurate.

I'm all for being able to post a log on an archived cache.

Once upon a time, there was a cacher local to us, OtisPug, who was one of the original masters of the game. On Oct. 15, 2003, he archived most of his caches with the comment: "To much politics for a simple game."

We weren't playing that long ago so I don't have the back-story, but we have found 4 of his that are still around. Two of them are probably the best cammo/hide jobs that we've ever come across. Without extensive counting, I am pretty sure that his hides that are still around have been found more times since they were archived than before.

On another point, my son decided to set up his own account and back-logged something like 430 finds. If he couldn't log archived caches, his account would not be accurate.

I'm all for being able to post a log on an archived cache.

I logged my first OtisPug cache on October 15, 2003. Hey, it was active when I left to go look for it and but when I went to log it it was archived. I guess you have let people log archived caches because sometimes someone decides to commit geocide while you are out hunting their geocaches.

Because it was listed here, it still has a GC #, it is still located at those coordinates, and we found it because someone had "stale" data in their GPS unit.

I have logged other Archived caches that we found still in place. That one is no different from the others.

If that cache owner did not want us to log the Archived GC cache, they could have "Deleted" our logs, but they didn't.

Fair enough, it was just to boost numbers. It just seems if it is not listed here (as in archived) it would not be logged here.

Fair enough, it was just to boost numbers. It just seems if it is not listed here (as in archived) it would not be logged here.

Or maybe they just logged it because they found it.

Edited by Trinity's Crew

As far as people trying to go back and claim they found an archived cache, but just forgot to log it...knowing full well they didn't find it......I just don't get it. Why even be a cacher if you have no desire to physically get out and go look for a cache?? They must have some serious issues regarding their competitive nature. I have the same feeling for folks who team cache, and send members of the team to different caches, but log everyones name as if they all hunted for it together. What is the purpose or what is even the enjoyment if you aren't an active participant?!! But that's just my opinion...

I have had folks find and log a cache I archived, because at the time, I just didn't have a chance to go get the container. I didn't mind them finding it and logging it though, but I did make sure I put a note on the page when I finally went and picked up the container so no one else would go after it.

Edited by butrflybec

What if they're archived here but still active? Quest Master in Pennsylvania archived his many phenomenal caches here, but he continues to list them on other sites. New ones, too. I don't know whether he still allows logs on gc.com. His hides are so good that next time I'm in that area, I have to say I'll be looking at the site he uses first.

I have not found any QM caches since they were all archived here (yet). I personally wouldn't log them here. I have though, found a handful of caches by the creator of that same "other site", who also archived all his caches here, long ago, as did some of his close friends. I did not log them on geocaching.com, but I'm pretty sure a few people have.

I have gone after caches several times using coords loaded before the cache was archived - and not knowing the status had changed.

Most of the time, the cache is indeed missing, but in one instance we found the original paper from the first stage of an archived multi. It was in a pile of trash 300 feet from the original coordinates, but still legible. We completed the multi and re hid the original 1st stage in a new container.

Found out when we went to log the find that it had been archived before we sought it, so we sent an e-mail note to the owner with a picture of the new container and coordinates where we hid it.

If I find a newly reactivated cache and then find the original "missing" cache can I log 2 finds on the listing page? :)

If someone archives a cache here they may list it at another site, or maybe it was cross listed on two sites and then got archived here, they might not mind (as Miragee found) if people on this site still find and log it.

However, I'm almost 100% sure that if it's listed on another site they'd be really upset if someone assumed that just because it was gc.com archived it was geolitter, and someone came along and took it as their own.

If you know that a cacher has an archived cache that is still in place, and they haven't logged on to gc.com in a long time, you can't assume the cache is now yours to take.

If someone archives a cache here they may list it at another site, or maybe it was cross listed on two sites and then got archived here, they might not mind (as Miragee found) if people on this site still find and log it.

However, I'm almost 100% sure that if it's listed on another site they'd be really upset if someone assumed that just because it was gc.com archived it was geolitter, and someone came along and took it as their own.

If you know that a cacher has an archived cache that is still in place, and they haven't logged on to gc.com in a long time, you can't assume the cache is now yours to take.

This scenario certainly opens a can o' worms.

We had a cacher leave town and subsequently (months later) archive all of the caches he left behind. I noticed this because I had just done samaritan maintenance on one of the caches that he then archived. :P

Local cachers are removing his geo-litter, and I'm pretty sure none of these caches are listed elsewhere. But this really throws a curve, the possibility that an archived cache may not be litter.

We had a cacher leave town and subsequently (months later) archive all of the caches he left behind. I noticed this because I had just done samaritan maintenance on one of the caches that he then archived. :P

Local cachers are removing his geo-litter, and I'm pretty sure none of these caches are listed elsewhere. But this really throws a curve, the possibility that an archived cache may not be litter.

There's no way to know unless you hear from the cache owner that it's okay to take them. If you email them from the site to ask, it's possible that they had used an email account only for gc.com, and no longer check it. I'd bet it's more likely that you'll be able to email and ask them if the caches are litter, even if they haven't logged on in a long time.

But just running around helping yourself to archived caches is pretty risky.

There's no way to know unless you hear from the cache owner that it's okay to take them. If you email them from the site to ask, it's possible that they had used an email account only for gc.com, and no longer check it. I'd bet it's more likely that you'll be able to email and ask them if the caches are litter, even if they haven't logged on in a long time.

But just running around helping yourself to archived caches is pretty risky.

You'd have to take it on a case by case basis, (and in Mule Ears' case, it doesn't sound too bad on the surface). But yes sir, messing around with people's archived caches is some serious risky business. :D

The example I used was very clearcut; the cacher left town and later archived his caches. He'd left them in place without attempting to adopt them out or arrange for their retrieval. His archival note just said "farewell so long, goodbye." The finders who removed the old, archived caches were clearly in the right.

The cross-listing possibility really muddles things, though. There are cases in which removing the cache would not be the right thing to do. It'd be nice if cache owners used the archival note to make the disposition of the cache container clear--removed, active on another site, or abandoned--but that's just wishful thinking.

The example I used was very clearcut; the cacher left town and later archived his caches. He'd left them in place without attempting to adopt them out or arrange for their retrieval. His archival note just said "farewell so long, goodbye." The finders who removed the old, archived caches were clearly in the right.

The cross-listing possibility really muddles things, though. There are cases in which removing the cache would not be the right thing to do. It'd be nice if cache owners used the archival note to make the disposition of the cache container clear--removed, active on another site, or abandoned--but that's just wishful thinking.

I was speaking more about those who would say things like, "I found 5 archived caches, 3 are now mine".

I was speaking more about those who would say things like, "I found 5 archived caches, 3 are now mine".

Oh. Hadn't thought of that angle, either. Retrieving archived caches for plunder? I really considered it only from the angle of complicating the decision of whether or not to remove an abandoned cache.

Interesting question. I've gone on a few travel bug rescue missions at archived caches that I had visited before. Three were at multis with the first stage missing. One by a cacher who has never maintained a cache. The local reviewer archives them after a few months. One by a cache who has not been active in two or three years. One by an active cacher who did perform maintenance. That cache was muggled, and the bugs missing. For the other two, I rescued the bugs, and removed the geolitter. In no case had anyone from another site signed the log since archival. And, I'm talking eight months to a year after archival! Pure and simple: geolitter. Hey. You want your ammo can, or gladware container, I've got them! The primary mission was travel bug rescue. (And I got great thank you notes from the bug owners!)

The other was a single-stage. The log mentioned who had picked up the bug. I e-mailed him, and he retrieved and put the bug back out. That cache I left in place. (Also no signatures after a year.) I notice that the adoptive owner just noticed that it has been archived for over a year, and hid another nearby.

So. If no one from another site has logged it within a year of archival here, it it safe to say that it is geolitter?

They are not listed on NaviCache. They would not be listed on TerraCaching, as they require caches listed on the site to be unique; that is, not listed on other sites. Oh, just to be sure, I checked. There are a total of 11 TC's in New Hampshire, none are those in question.

You are correct, you should know the status of the cache before you do anything.

Even if the guy who placed the caches has them listed elsewhere, the only thing you'd notice if you visited the cache using the other listing is that it is still being visited by GC.com users.

Just curious what you think about cache adoption in general, Mushtang?

Just curious what you think about cache adoption in general, Mushtang?

I think it's great if both parties are in on it. I think if there's an archived cache that's still in place, and the owner can't be contacted, it's a risk that he's listing it somewhere else and he'd be upset if someone stole it.

Oh, I wasn't giving you a hard time, Mule Ears. From what you've said, I applaud what your local community has done. But it also wouldn't surpise me if this guy came back to town a year from now, and went all crazy about his containers being removed. You never can tell. This thread has certainly brought up some interesting points though. For example, if someone in the Pittsburgh, Pa. area ever removed a Quest Master cache because it was archived on geocaching.com, there would be heck to pay. :anibad: Not that I think anyone would do it.

In MA, we have a cacher who maintains a bookmark list of "Archived Caches that probably still exist". I can't find it right now, but I believe its for the sake of trying to remove geo-litter from our area. Ex: When a reviewer archives a cache & the owner has been long gone from the sport & never logs on again.

I like his idea and have checked out a few in the area only to pleasantly find that the cache had been removed....by someone already. Then I just let him know he can remove it from his list.

If a cache is indeed found & in really bad shape, I would remove it & try to contact the owner to see if they wanted the container or log. Sure they wouldn't reply. I've had bad luck with people replying about TBs once they've left the sport.

If it was in good shape, it probably wouldn't have been suggested needing maintance and the reviewer wouldn't have archived it. CITOing out geolitter is good idea.

I haven't found an archived cache yet that's in great shape or in a great shape (haven't search for that many). If it was still a good cache, I would leave it, log it, & perhaps see if someone wanted to try to adopt it. If not, it eventually needs to be removed. We've adopted 3 out of our 10 caches. If it has logs in notebook from cachers not from gc.com, I wouldn't touch it since probably listed on another site. I don't take any action on archived caches for months / years. Not right after archiving. That gives owner plenty of time to remove it, fix it, relist it elsewhere & non-gc.com cachers to find it & write in log.

Edited by wandering4cache

In MA, we have a cacher who maintains a bookmark list of "Archived Caches that probably still exist". I can't find it right now, but I believe its for the sake of trying to remove geo-litter from our area. Ex: When a reviewer archives a cache & the owner has been long gone from the sport & never logs on again.

I like his idea and have checked out a few in the area only to pleasantly find that the cache had been removed....by someone already. Then I just let him know he can remove it from his list.

If a cache is indeed found & in really bad shape, I would remove it & try to contact the owner to see if they wanted the container or log. Sure they wouldn't reply. I've had bad luck with people replying about TBs once they've left the sport.

If it was in good shape, it probably wouldn't have been suggested needing maintance and the reviewer wouldn't have archived it. CITOing out geolitter is good idea.

I haven't found an archived cache yet that's in great shape or in a great shape (haven't search for that many). If it was still a good cache, I would leave it, log it, & perhaps see if someone wanted to try to adopt it. If not, it eventually needs to be removed. We've adopted 3 out of our 10 caches. If it has logs in notebook from cachers not from gc.com, I wouldn't touch it since probably listed on another site. I don't take any action on archived caches for months / years. Not right after archiving. That gives owner plenty of time to remove it, fix it, relist it elsewhere & non-gc.com cachers to find it & write in log.

I'm not trying to rain on anyone's parade, but I'll repeat that messing with someone's cache who has apparently left the game, as defined by not logging into a website, or not answering emails at a certain email address, is risky business. Example.

Come to think of it, that was from a time when TPTB allowed "involuntary cache adoptions", which they don't do anymore.

Edited by TheWhiteUrkel

Oh, I wasn't giving you a hard time, Mule Ears. From what you've said, I applaud what your local community has done. But it also wouldn't surpise me if this guy came back to town a year from now, and went all crazy about his containers being removed. You never can tell. This thread has certainly brought up some interesting points though. For example, if someone in the Pittsburgh, Pa. area ever removed a Quest Master cache because it was archived on geocaching.com, there would be heck to pay. :grin: Not that I think anyone would do it.

I didn't think you were giving me a hard time. I was just reviewing the particulars because I was kind of startled at this new wrinkle. And I didn't want to leave the peanut gallery with any false impression that a caching goon squad was taking over neglected caches. :anibad:

As for the guy involved in the example I gave, he would be the sort to go ballistic over a perceived slight. The timing of his archivals--right after volunteer maintenance--is certainly suggestive of some sort bee in his bonnet. I'd think that would go double for the folks who are sufficiently disgruntled to switch to the BrandX-o-caching sites. Forewarned, forearmed.

I see no problem with someone adopting a cache if: last 3 visits said cache needed maintance badly, reviewer sent email / posted, owner hasn't signed in in over a year or performed requested maintance, cache is archived & sits rotting in the woods for another year. That's 2 yrs of not hearing from owner. You need to stay an ACTIVE owner or ACTIVE member if you want to keep your caches. Active means maintaining your cache & responding to emails.

For the example linked above, I think its really because of his other cache. http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...=y&decrypt=

Don't know what happened there since it looks like logs may have been deleted. Can't see when it changed ownership, but clearly not enough time went by. Would never suggest adoption in that short timeframe. Never!

If someone wants to maintain an archived cache, I would never remove it, but not crazy about leaving geolitter in the woods either. Also would never remove or suggest archiving a historic or OLD cache. We would post to forum looking for someone to adopt if owner long gone & unreachable.

BTW, when I say adopt, I don't always mean change in ownership. Someone can adopt a cache by simply becoming the caretaker. We did that for our first find. Everytime someone said it was missing or needed something, we took care of it since it was close by & owner wasn't around much. He finally contacted us & said we could have it if we wanted it since we were taking such good care of it anyway. lol So, our first find became our first owned cache.

Edited by wandering4cache