The Northwest Trails Project

Moun10Bike

Dwooford, the size of the img is 2.5MB.

M10B, on the Meridian; all of the trails work as lines or dots or dashes and are clearly visible when i drop down to .4 mile resolution.

The biggest issue I see with this, and that's only because I rely on it, is I lose the ability to use the basemap image with all the topo. I personally wouldn't use the trails image if I had to give up my topo.

As a side note: I hadn't realized how much I was tolerating the aged GPS. It's very slow. It was frustrating trying to scroll the screen and wait for the refresh to catch up. I was due for the replacement.

I had an old 64mb card with much of it filled by maps from Map Send. I just bought a 2gb card, but I'm not sure about it's compatibilty.

The biggest issue I see with this, and that's only because I rely on it, is I lose the ability to use the basemap image with all the topo. I personally wouldn't use the trails image if I had to give up my topo.

Ugh, does that mean that there's no such thing as a transparent map on a Magellan?

If memory serves on the old magellans, you could only load one image at a time. I'll try it again tonight as I may have not been thinking through a process.

I am thinking that I'm not going to waste any more time trying to get Northwest Trails converted for Magellan use. I had another frustrating go-around trying to generate maps today for the Explorist, with the ancient tools that have been essentially hacked to allow for map creation on the units crashing with just about any change I make to the map design. Given these issues, the limited response from Magellan owners, and the compromises I would have to make with the maps to get things working (and the additional workload that it would involve), it doesn't seem worthwhile to pursue it any further.

I believe that I am going to continue working on DeLorme PN-series maps, as they are a bit easier to manage than Magellan (with at least modern and supported tools), but that has been frustrating as well. Even the PN-40 (or at least the tools available at a reasonable price for generating maps for it) is severely limited relative to what can be done with the current Garmin offerings. In fact, today I decided that I'm going to sell my PN-40 as it is just not nearly what I had hoped it would be. Despite the ability to display raster imagery, it simply falls short of my Garmins in virtually every way, and I don't see myself using it very often.

Can you tell it's been a frustrating day trying to get some work done on Northwest Trails? :blink:

Thanks, TL! I think it is best if I can hand off development of various "offshoot" formats to others, as I otherwise risk taking on too much with this project and having to abandon it all together!

Ok. I'll set up an FTP site you can upload the GPX to so it stays off your website and keeps people happy with you.

Ok. I'll set up an FTP site you can upload the GPX to so it stays off your website and keeps people happy with you.

I'll make it even easier on you and upload DeLorme text file format that will allow you to import the objects as draw objects. This helps in that the application then doesn't expect the data to be uploaded as tracks/waypoints to a GPS and thus doesn't force trails and waypoints lacking names to have names like "TRK872" and the like.

You can thank Mike at Global Mapper for implementing the ability to export in this format at my request.

Edited by Moun10Bike

I'll make it even easier on you and upload DeLorme text file format that will allow you to import the objects as draw objects. This helps in that the application then doesn't expect the data to be uploaded as tracks/waypoints to a GPS and thus doesn't force trails and waypoints lacking names to have names like "TRK872" and the like.

You can thank Mike at Global Mapper for implementing the ability to export in this format at my request.

Awesome work from both of ya! Thanks!

Northwest Trails v1.28 is now live!

This will likely be the last release for this year. Thanks to everyone who has helped create this mapset, and to those of you who have enjoyed it!

Merry Christmas!

Jon

Version 1.28
(December 16, 2008)

• Added a portion of the Centennial Trail in Coeur d'Alene, ID, from GPS data

• Verified several portions of the Centennial Trail in Post Falls and Coeur d'Alene, ID from GPS data

• Added Prairie Trail from aerial imagery (Coeur d'Alene, ID)

• Added Kiwanis Park Road (Post Falls, ID) from GPS data

• Added fisherman's trail around western end of Fernan Lake (ID) from GPS data

• Added the East Trail on Higgen's Point from GPS data (near Coeur d'Alene, ID)

• Adjusted some low-resolution data for the BPA Trail in Federal Way, WA obtained from King County to match aerial imagery

• Adjusted the Anchorage Overlook Loop Trail and added GPS and aerial imagery data for the Glen Alps Trailhead (near Anchorage, AK)

• Corrected the attribution of portions of the Ship Creek Trail from dirt to paved (Anchorage, AK)

• Added data for trails in the Montesano (WA) area using GIS data supplied by the City of Montesano. This data came courtesy of
    TeamIDFC
    , who initiating a letter-writing campaign to numerous city governments requesting GIS data.

• Data courtesy of
    monkey360
    :
    • Heywood Lookout Trail (near Baring, WA)

[*]
    Data courtesy of
    LindaLu
    :

• A portion of the trails in Orangegate Park (Puyallup, WA)

[*]
    Data courtesy of
    klossner
    :

• Wind Mountain Trail (near Wind River, WA)

[*]
    Data courtesy of
    The Jester
    :

• Verification of and additional data for Cougar Mountain Regional Wildland Park (near Bellevue, WA), including:
      • Addition of the entrance road to Anti-Aircraft Peak Trailhead

• Adjustments to E1 - Shangri La Trail

• Adjustments to N9 - Tibbetts Marsh Trail

• Adjustments to E3 - Bear Ridge Trail

[*]
      Burke-Gilman Playground Park (Seattle, WA)

[*]
      Green River Trail (Tukwila, WA)

[*]
      Maplewood Park (Renton, WA)

[*]
      Maplewood Heights Park (Renton, WA)

[*]
      Trails and roads along the White River near Sumner, WA

[*]
    Data courtesy of
    dsvaughn
    :

• Trail between 172nd Ave. NE and 175th Pl. NE on English Hill (Redmond, WA)

[*]
    Data courtesy of
    intolerable
    :

• Marymoor Park Boat Launch Road (Redmond, WA)

[*]
    Data courtesy of
    The Mercury Project
    :

• Celebration Park (Federal Way, WA)

• Harper Park (Vashon Island, WA)

[*]
    Data courtesy of Bob Cromwell:

• Adjustments to E3 - Bear Ridge Trail in Cougar Mountain Regional Wildland Park (near Bellevue, WA)

• Removal of E10 - West Tibbetts Creek Trail in Cougar Mountain Regional Wildland Park (near Bellevue, WA)

• Addition of "Bridges Trail" in Cougar Mountain Regional Wildland Park (near Bellevue, WA)

[*]
    Data courtesy of Mike Davison:

• New Mount Washington Trail (near North Bend, WA)

[*]
    Data courtesy of
    MaliBooBoo
    :

• Buntzen Lake Trail (near Port Moody, BC)

• Diez Vistas Trail (near Port Moody, BC)

• Fort George Canyon (near Prince George, BC)

• Longworth Lookout Trail (near Prince George, BC)

• Riverside Trail (Vanderhoof, BC)

• Several trails in the Chilliwack Valley (BC) from GIS sources:
      • Vedder Mountain Trail

• Teapot Hill Trail

• Seven Sisters Trail

• Mt. Amadis Trail

• Elk Thurston Trail

• Mt. McGuire Trail

• Cheam Peak Trail

• Mt. Laughington Trail

• Mt. McFarlane Trail

• Williamson Lake Trail

• Ling Lake Trail

• Ford Mountain Trail

• Williams Ridge Trail

• Mt. Rexford Trail

• Slesse Memorial Trail

• Greendrop Trail

• Flora Lake Trail

• Radium Lake Trail

• Hanging Lake Trail

[*]
    Data courtesy of Bill Davis:

• New trails on Grand Ridge along with additional verification and refinement of others (Issaquah, WA)

[*]
    Data courtesy of
    AndrewRJ
    :

• Neighborhood trail in Dupont, WA

• Trail system in Hollywood Hill adjoining Gold Creek Park (Woodinville, WA)

• Additional trail data for Al Borlin Park (Monroe, WA)

[*]
    Data courtesy of
    Lightning Jeff
    :

• Additional roads in the Marckworth Forest (near Duvall, WA)

... Given these issues, the limited response from Magellan owners, ...

I think I might be the only one left. ;) And if you saw how my current one is being held together I may not be one much longer.

Thanks for what you did do. I'm not going to delete them now!

After a few drops on concrete, not intentional of course.

67240f69-1f92-445b-917e-6d4eece07ba1.jpg

Edited by jcar

I believe that I am going to continue working on DeLorme PN-series maps, as they are a bit easier to manage than Magellan (with at least modern and supported tools), but that has been frustrating as well. Even the PN-40 (or at least the tools available at a reasonable price for generating maps for it) is severely limited relative to what can be done with the current Garmin offerings. In fact, today I decided that I'm going to sell my PN-40 as it is just not nearly what I had hoped it would be. Despite the ability to display raster imagery, it simply falls short of my Garmins in virtually every way, and I don't see myself using it very often.

If you have the time, could you let me know specifics on how the PN-40 fell short? I value this type of feedback as it helps us make improvements for future users. If your reasons for returning (there is a 30 day money back guarantee) are tied to geocaching functionality on the device you might consider the firmware update that is in development right now. I do appreciate that you gave the device a try, let me know if there's anything I can do to help as you provide trail data for other PN-Series owners. Thanks for any feedback you have time to provide.

Chip Noble

Team DeLorme

If your still looking for more information on the Magellan. I still have my Magellan gps's before I switch to a Garmin. All the Magellan's I have used, you have two active maps running at the same time, one is the background map for when the map is zoomed out. Then detail maps that kick in when the unit reaches a certain zoom level when you zoom in. But, you can add all the maps you want to the unit and select which map you want active. So you can have topo and trails in the unit, but only one can be active at a time.

John

If you have the time, could you let me know specifics on how the PN-40 fell short? I value this type of feedback as it helps us make improvements for future users. If your reasons for returning (there is a 30 day money back guarantee) are tied to geocaching functionality on the device you might consider the firmware update that is in development right now. I do appreciate that you gave the device a try, let me know if there's anything I can do to help as you provide trail data for other PN-Series owners. Thanks for any feedback you have time to provide.

Chip Noble

Team DeLorme

Hi Chip,

I think it also needs some software help as well, the ability to tie into other software like gsak, cachemate, or gpsbabel and the ability to read gpx files. No one is going to upgrade from the GPSMAP60csx if the upgrade can't do what their previous gps did. I have one of your BT-20 bluetooth gps, and it works great with cachemate or google maps if there is a cell connection.

John

... Given these issues, the limited response from Magellan owners, ...

I think I might be the only one left. :blink: And if you saw how my current one is being held together I may not be one much longer.

Thanks for what you did do. I'm not going to delete them now!

After a few drops on concrete, not intentional of course.

I am the other one. :D

I have watched this thread with interest since it started but I think I misunderstood its scope and thought it only related to information gathered from Garmin units and then later the PN series units.

So I am a bit slow. ;)

Can you use tracks for your project that I create using my Explorist?

I have watched this thread with interest since it started but I think I misunderstood its scope and thought it only related to information gathered from Garmin units and then later the PN series units.

So I am a bit slow. ;)

Can you use tracks for your project that I create using my Explorist?

Absolutely! Any data from any source can be used, provided that my software for compiling the database can read it. GPX is the preferred format.

If there is anyone who wants to take on the Magellan project, I'd be more than willing than help. I have all of the tools, a detailed step-by-step creation guide that I created for my own use, and can package up the data to hand off. I just need someone with a Magellan who is willing to experiment with the visuals and settings and find something that looks good on the units without causing the tools to crash.

Thanks to the efforts of B+L, there is now a full-fledged installer for Northwest Trails for Mac users! I'm calling this a "beta" until I hear some feedback from Mac users. The download is now listed along with the others on the Northwest Trails page.

This installer not only streamlines the install process for Mac users, but it also gives them the option to pick their custom line type set like PC users.

Let us know what you think, Mac users!

It's taking me longer than expected, but I have begun to post the Delorme files v1.28 with major thanks to Moun10Bike for the translations. The text files are up, and T7 WA Trails are up to be followed by the POIs. Then the other regions will slowly come up.

http://www.totemlake.org/downloads.htm

I finally got the rest of the trails, waypoints and areas translated for T7. The text files are also there for previous versions.

It's taking me longer than expected, but I have begun to post the Delorme files v1.28 with major thanks to Moun10Bike for the translations. The text files are up, and T7 WA Trails are up to be followed by the POIs. Then the other regions will slowly come up.

I finally got the rest of the trails, waypoints and areas translated for T7. The text files are also there for previous versions.

Okay, so I playing with my new PN40 and have figured out how to get the NW Trails into Topo7 but can't for the life of me figure out how to get them from T7 into the PN40.

Okay, so I playing with my new PN40 and have figured out how to get the NW Trails into Topo7 but can't for the life of me figure out how to get them from T7 into the PN40.

I will PM you tomorrow. I'm in the middle of something else and it's tying up my T7.

Edited by TotemLake

I will PM you tomorrow. I'm in the middle of something else and it's tying up my T7.

Can ya PM me that info too!

I just tested the line colors against the color aerial imagery and I'll have to change what I'm using for the next version. In the meantime, you can change the T7 colors that I used by copying the draw layer to a track layer after setting the line type and color. Then you can copy it back to a new draw layer with the same line type and color of choice.

Northwest Trails v1.29 has been posted at the usual location at Northwest Trails.

The big change this time around is the inclusion of full trail coverage for all of British Columbia, courtesy of MaliBooBoo. This data is from GIS sources so the quality will be a bit dubious, but it should be better than the voids previously seen for the province!

Enjoy!

Jon

Version 1.29 (January 8, 2009)

• Adjusted display levels for waypoints so that they only appear at the highest zoom level (in order to eliminate some cluttering)
  • Eliminated overlap between the Ford Mountain Trail and Williams Ridge Trail (Chilliwack Valley, BC) per feedback from MaliBooBoo
  • Added province-wide coverage of GIS trail data for British Columbia from BC's Geographic Data Discovery Service thanks to information from MaliBooBoo (yay!)
  • Added GPS data obtained from NWJeepn.com:
    • Lake Isabel Trail (near Gold Bar, WA)
    • Index Wall Overlook Trail (Near Index, WA)

[*]Changed attribution of the Old Mount Si Trail from "minor trail" to "trail" based on feedback from Bill Davis

[*]Data courtesy of The Jester:

• White River Trail (Auburn, WA)

[*]Data courtesy of MaliBooBoo:

• Farm Trail (near Prince George, BC)

[*]Data courtesy of Kiersolvd:

• Additional trail data in Washington Park (Anacortes, WA)

[*]Data courtesy of Tom Abrahamson:

• Verification and correction of several trails in the Capitol State Forest, including the Rock Candy Mountain Trail (near Olympia, WA)
    • Numerous trails and roads in the Enumclaw (WA) Forested Foothills Recreation Area (https://home.comcast.net/~effra/EFFRA_boundary.htm)

[*]Data courtesy of EraSeek:

• Lynnwood (WA) City Hall Trail

[*]Data courtesy of popop:

• Cape Arago Pack Trail (near Coos Bay, OR)

[*]Data courtesy of dsvaughn:

• Perego Lagoon Trail (Whidbey Island, WA)

[*]Data courtesy of Forty-n-Eight:

• CAdditional data and corrections in the Griffin Creek area (near Fall City, WA)

[*]Data courtesy of FunnyNose:

• Additional data for the Salmon to Sound Trail in Carkeek Park (Seattle, WA)
    • Dungeness Dike Trail (Sequim, WA)
    • Dungeness State Park (Sequim, WA)
    • Gray Wolf Quil Trail (near Sequim, WA)
    • Hope Island (Deception Pass, WA)
    • A portion of the Olympic Discovery Trail (near Sequim, WA)
    • A portion of the Cape Alava Trail with Roose and Ahlstroms Homestead Trails (Olympic National Park, WA)
    • Trail above Lake Sutherland (WA)

Northwest Trails version 1.30 has just finished posting to its usual location on the Northwest Trails Page.

A huge drop of data for BC was submitted this time around by Rob Bryce, author of "Hiking North Central BC". I can finally start saying that we are getting decent coverage of BC after the last two releases!

Here are the full details of this release:

Version 1.30
(January 21, 2009)

• Changed custom type designations (IDs, not styles) to accommodate types needed for upcoming Northwest Topos mapset

• Made further corrections and additions to trails and roads in the Griffin Creek/Tokul area using aerial imagery (near Fall City, WA)

• Data courtesy of
    The Jester
    :
    • Cedar Grove Natural Area (near Renton, WA)

• Trails off of Cedar Mountain Pl SE (Near Renton, WA)

• Highlands Park (Renton, WA)

• Mill Creek Park (Kent, WA)

• Scenic Hill Park (Kent, WA)

• Auburndale Park (Auburn, WA)

• Game Farm Park (Auburn, WA)

• Unpaved Road off of 118th Ave. SE in Auburn, WA

• Additional trails and corrections in the Green River Community College campus trail system (Auburn, WA)

• Trails adjoining the Green River Trail at Issac Evans Park (Auburn, WA)

• Trail network of off 55th Ave. S in Auburn, WA

• Confirmation of and additional access trails to the Interurban Trail (Kent - Tukwila, WA)

• Crystal Springs Park (Tukwila, WA)

• Trail along Klickitat Drive (Tukwila, WA)

• Portions of the trail/road network off of Highway 18 near Pipe Lake (Covington, WA)

[*]
    Data courtesy of
    FunnyNose
    :

• Railroad Park (Sequim, WA)

• A re-route of a section of the Olympic Discovery Trail (Sequim, WA)

• Robin Hill Park (near Sequim, WA)

[*]
    Data courtesy of
    dsvaughn
    :

• Additional trails in Gold Creek Park (Woodinville, WA)

• Additional trails and dirt road in the Hansville Greenway area (near Port Gamble, WA)

[*]
    Data courtesy of Bill Davis:

• Re-route of Swamp and Big Tree Trails on Tiger Mountain (near Issaquah, WA)

• Verification of trails on Grand Ridge (Issaquah, WA)

[*]
    Data on several trails in North Central BC courtesy of Rob Bryce, author of "Hiking North Central BC":

• The Ancient Forest (Driscoll Trail)

• Baker Trail

• Beaver Falls Trail

• Bell Mountain Trail

• Bickford Mountain Trail

• Bobtail Bluff Trail

• Bobtail Mountain Trail

• Boulder Mountain Trail

• Caledonia Mountain Trail

• Cheslatta Falls Trail

• Coffee Pot Mountain Trail

• Cutoff Butte Trail

• Deserters Creek Falls Trail

• Driscoll Ridge

• Dunster Trail

• Eagle Valley Glacier Trail

• Erg Mountain Trail

• Eskers Park

• Fang Mountain Trail

• Ferguson Lake Trail

• Forest for the World

• Fort George Canyon Trail

• Fraser Mountain Trail

• Giscome Portage Trail

• Goat River Trail

• Grand Canyon of the Fraser Trail

• Greenway Trail

• Greer Creek Falls Trail

• Groeneveld Trail

• Groundhog Lake Trail

• Hedrick Lake Trail

• Hixon Falls Trail

• John Shelford Opal Beds

• Jubilee Trail

• Kristi Glacier Trail

• LC Gunn Trail

• Little Lost Lake Trail

• Service road to Livingstone Springs

• Longworth Lookout Trail

• Lucille Mountain Trail

• McBride Mountain Trail

• Mount Murray Trail

• Mount Patchett Trail

• Mount Terry Fox Trail

• Murray Range Trail

• Muskeg Falls Trail

• Natural Arch Trail

• Ormand Creek Trail

• Ozalenka Trail

• Paradise Trail

• Pilot Mountain Trail

• The Pinnacles Trail

• Popes Peak Trail

• Portage Canyon Trail

• Prosperine Mountain Trail

• Raven Lake Grizzly Den Trail

• Spitall Creek Trail

• Sugarbowl Trail

• Tacheeda Mountain Trail

• Teapot Mountain Trail

• Torpy Mountain Trail

• Two Sisters Mountain Trail

• Viking Ridge Trail

• Vineyards Trail

• Vinje Grind

• Yellowhawk Trail

[*]
    Data courtesy of
    popop
    :

• Tahkenitch Dunes Trail (near Reedsport, OR)

[*]
    Data courtesy of
    B+L
    :

• New trail at Fisher Pond (Vashon Island, WA)

[*]
    Data courtesy of
    EraSeek
    :

• Japanese Gulch Trail (Mukilteo, WA)

[*]
    Data courtesy of
    hydnsek
    :

• Updates to trails around Marshall's Hill Trail on Cougar Mountain (Newcastle, WA)

Jon, I can't tell you how much I appreciate having these trail maps on my GPS unit. They have quickly become indispensable, get constant use, and have saved my hiney more times than I can count.

THANK YOU!!!!!

Double ditto agreement. Wandering into a new area and seeing a trail system laid out makes caching/hiking that much more pleasurable. I can't tell you the number of times we've taken "the long way" to a cache since we knew what the entire trail system was - much better than the wander and backtrack-type excursions we used to do.

Inquiring minds want to know:

- Changed custom type designations (IDs, not styles) to accommodate types needed for upcoming Northwest Topos mapset

Northwest Topos? Upcoming? Woot!?

I didn't want to publicize this too much until they were ready - they are a ton of work to get "right" and I want these to be usable right out of the gate. I've actually been working on them since I started Northwest Trails. If you want to see an early, early, pre-pre-alpha of what they will look like, download a mapset I'm creating for Priest Lake: Priest Lake Topo. In fact, it would be great if people did and commented on what they like and don't like so I can make changes for the initial release of Northwest Topos.

As an FYI, I will likely initially only release Northwest Topos for the Seattle area, then over time will add additional quads until I fill the region shown in this image:

northwesttoposfl5.th.jpg

I feel that this is the maximum area that I can confortably manage for a project of this scope. Like Northwest Trails, Northwest Topos will be set up as a community effort, with people who want to submitting data for inclusion on the maps. Releases will be less frequent than with Northwest Trails, however, as it takes more than 3 hours to compile one of the maps for NW Topos versus the couple of minutes it does for a NW Trails map!

In fact, it would be great if people did and commented on what they like and don't like so I can make changes for the initial release of Northwest Topos.

So far they look excellent :wacko:

Couple of questions...

Are you planning on adding more POIs? I used all the WA GNIS data available (a lot, sometimes to the point of clutter for my use). If so, will one be able to search them?

Will the transportation have routing?

Any chance you will have major contours above .5 mile?

The pre-pre alpha looks great, much smoother, especially around water, than my efforts. Is everything done in GlobalMapper? While I'm having great fun learn how to do all this stuff and plan to continue, I very much look forward to using your maps :yikes:

The Priest Lake Topo is using all of the GNIS POIs, plus my own POIs as well as POIs from BTS. I don't know what you mean by "more" POIs, but yes, I plan to use all that are available to me.

No, I don't plan on doing routing, at least not right away. That takes a ton of work tweaking the roads, and that is the biggest issue I have right now - lots of roads of various levels of accuracy from a variety of sources. I need to sort out that mess first.

I still plan on playing with zoom levels for various elements, so any feedback people have on that is appreciated.

The Priest Lake Topo is using all of the GNIS POIs, plus my own POIs as well as POIs from BTS. I don't know what you mean by "more" POIs, but yes, I plan to use all that are available to me.

I found, with WA at least, there was a drastic difference between the number of POIs when downloading using the search tool as opposed to downloading the state ZIP file and was just wondering if it included all. Didn't mean to imply I thought there was a lack of POIs, as it certainly doesn't ;)

No, I don't plan on doing routing, at least not right away. That takes a ton of work tweaking the roads, and that is the biggest issue I have right now - lots of roads of various levels of accuracy from a variety of sources. I need to sort out that mess first.

Honestly, I cannot wait to see what you come up with for roads, routing or not. That's pretty exciting that you are drawing on a number of source.

I still plan on playing with zoom levels for various elements, so any feedback people have on that is appreciated.

Zoom levels in regards to major contours and more major landmarks (cities, peaks, etc) might make orienting ones self easier when zoomed out. But these look great!

Thanks so much for the chance to check them out and hopefully eventually put them to use!

I also have Idaho 24k topo from gpsfiledepot, except for little differents in the type of lines used for the roads, and land usage coloring, it looks pretty close to the same.

I was working on Washington Topo 24 K for awhile, but my work schedule picked up after the holidays, and I didn't finish it. I have all the 40ft contour shape files for dem, but GpsMapEdit was having virtual memory fits converting to MP files. I also have the Tiger data for 2008 done, poi, land use, just need to finish downloading water data and process that too. I guess there is talk over at gpsfiledepot about WA and OR coming out soon, they have a few guys working on it also. They just finish Nevada this month.

a question did come to mind - are the trails going to be included with the topo map? I can see possibly wanting just the topo without the trails. Would loading both topo's with trails and the trail maps (overlaping regions) cause any problems?

I'm not sure why one would want topo without trails. :D