FTF Hound with no hides of their own

JonInNH1

I am new to this so how many finds do I need before I have a hide. By the way I have to ammo can on the way.

This is pretty off-topic but..

There is no number of finds that to you need to be able to find, look at me, 2 finds and already making a cache! :)

Edited by Phil&Phil2008

This is a game with many different facets. Some people like hunting. Some like hiding. Some love both. Some like to just find, sign a log and move on. Some like to trade trinkets. Some just dig TBs etc.

Everyone is not the same.

A FTF is cool. I now have one. If I don't get another ever again, I'll be just fine with that. I did want one, and that's cool. From here on out? Who cares who gets it as long as there's a sweet hide and something fun to hunt!

So, no, it doesn't bother me one bit.

I have beaten this guy to FTF's. It is all about being in the right place at the right time. The more power to the FTF's. If you are willing to run out at anytime of the night for a FTF, good luck. It is not for everyone. Anyone who is begrudging this should get a life. This is part of the game. Not everyone can get FTF.

I have beaten this guy to FTF's. It is all about being in the right place at the right time. The more power to the FTF's. If you are willing to run out at anytime of the night for a FTF, good luck. It is not for everyone. Anyone who is begrudging this should get a life. This is part of the game. Not everyone can get FTF.

My original post has absolutely nothing against people who go after FTFs and is not what I was trying to accomplish! It is amazing how such a simple question can be turned inside out and made into something completely different. If I knew everyone's feelings/opinions on this I wouldn't have asked the question in the first place.

My original post has absolutely nothing against people who go after FTFs and is not what I was trying to accomplish! It is amazing how such a simple question can be turned inside out and made into something completely different. If I knew everyone's feelings/opinions on this I wouldn't have asked the question in the first place.

looks like this subject got of topic. Hey if you don't want to hide any thats fine

In your original post you used the :D emoticon, which of course reflects the emotional state of "merely curious." :D

In your original post you used the :D emoticon, which of course reflects the emotional state of "merely curious." :D

Apparently that little face was the wrong one to use, my bad. Please direct me to the emoticon training area immediately.

Apparently that little face was the wrong one to use, my bad. Please direct me to the emoticon training area immediately.

No problemo. Phrase your question, take a peek in the mirror, then pick the closest-to-matching face from the palette of emoticons. The more you resemble the standard emoticon face, the easier this will be. For example, this -- :D -- is practically a photographic likeness of me.

I have no problem with your original premise, or non-premise. It's just human nature that most discussion threads begin with a grievance, otherwise there's not much to discuss. It would be highly unusual for someone to start a thread:

"FTF hound who is kind, generous, intelligent, honest, helpful, courageous, clean-smelling, productively employed, socially adept, and involved in a range of diverse activities other than Geocaching. Would this bother you?"

The only purpose to such a thread would be to set a world record for the number of replies beginning with "You mean hypothetically, right?" :D

FTF hounds don't bother me. Folks who find considerably more than they hide don't worry me in the slightest. That there might be FTF hounds who find but never hide had not even crossed my mind and, even now, seem a waste of a thought.

So, no, actually I'd give whoever it is you reference a dozen attaboys for not hiding caches merely for the sake of hiding caches -- if only some others in the community would follow their lead. So, Bravo to them that found but didn't hide!

My original post has absolutely nothing against people who go after FTFs and is not what I was trying to accomplish

Well, there is one way to clear this up. Telling us what you were trying to accomplish.

Of course, you don't have to......

I guess I should have asked, is it unusual to see veteran cachers with no hides, especially people with FTF gusto.

No, this wouldn't bother us. In fact, it would inspire us. We most likely would look at it as a challenge to create a type of hide that would break his or her FTF mode. :o:D We enjoy this game. For us it's no longer about how many smilies we have, heck we haven't even had our very own FTF yet, it's really about the journey and the really cool places these journey's take us on. We have had several finds, a few DNF's and have even placed a few hides of our very own. It certainly has been a toss up as to which aspect we like the best as we both have had as much fun with each. One day, we hope to experience a FTF, until then we'll just keep on enjoying the journey and the challenges the journey brings to us.

They say it takes all types to make the world go round...same holds true for this game. :D

No, this wouldn't bother us. In fact, it would inspire us. We most likely would look at it as a challenge to create a type of hide that would break his or her FTF mode. :o:D We enjoy this game. For us it's no longer about how many smilies we have, heck we haven't even had our very own FTF yet, it's really about the journey and the really cool places these journey's take us on. We have had several finds, a few DNF's and have even placed a few hides of our very own. It certainly has been a toss up as to which aspect we like the best as we both have had as much fun with each. One day, we hope to experience a FTF, until then we'll just keep on enjoying the journey and the challenges the journey brings to us.

They say it takes all types to make the world go round...same holds true for this game. :D

Well said!