Why I HATE Magellan Explorists

Why I HATE my Magellan Explorist 500.

1. The screw connection is the stupidest thing in the world. The one I have is next to impossible to connect, and once it does, downloading is a crapshoot! Sometimes It works, and sometimes it don't.

Whats wrong witha a normal, plug in type USB not unlike an MP3 player? I noticed the Triton has the same crappy type connection!

2. Battery compartment suffers from terrible design. The battery door never closes flush and the 3-aaa battery compartment does not fit well. I bought a couple of lithium rechargables online, and once you put them in, you will never be able to get them out without destroying them! I even put a ribbon underneath, and still no luck. Just poor design.

3. SD card is behind the battery compartment. If you can't get the battery, how do you expect to get the SD card out as well? Whats wrong with a pop-in type slot like a camera or cellphone?

My next GPS will not be a Magellan, unless they learn how to design a unit that is well designed for easy use and connectivity......

End of angry rant!! :rolleyes::wacko::wacko::lol:

It is that way to be waterproof

Well, that's what they tell us. However, the problem is the waterproof rating is a lie. They are not waterproof (any more than the new Garmin Colorado). Look on the threads, and like me, you will find people whose eXplorists got wet and were damaged or died. As was mentioned, the battery compartment does not seal well. Water gets in. The 4 pin round connector on many Garmins is much better, and it lets no water into the unit.

1. The screw connection is the stupidest thing in the world. The one I have is next to impossible to connect, and once it does, downloading is a crapshoot! Sometimes It works, and sometimes it don't.

Whats wrong witha a normal, plug in type USB not unlike an MP3 player? I noticed the Triton has the same crappy type connection!

2. Battery compartment suffers from terrible design. The battery door never closes flush and the 3-aaa battery compartment does not fit well. I bought a couple of lithium rechargables online, and once you put them in, you will never be able to get them out without destroying them! I even put a ribbon underneath, and still no luck. Just poor design.

3. SD card is behind the battery compartment. If you can't get the battery, how do you expect to get the SD card out as well? Whats wrong with a pop-in type slot like a camera or cellphone?

1)Not sure why you have such a problem as I have found the connection to be simple and quick. As for downloading to the unit, I have never had a problem

2) Again, the battery door on mine closes flush every time and removing the battery is a simple process, It does fit tightly in the compartment and will only come out one way but I have never destroyed or damaged a battery in removal or installation

3)Again no problem... I don't want card slots exposed to the elements... It's a good place for leaks!

I'm not sure why you are having so many problems with yours, I've had my Explorist 400 for some time now and have found it to be a good dependable unit that has caused me no problems at all. And yes, I have gotten it very wet and am still using it

1)Not sure why you have such a problem as I have found the connection to be simple and quick. As for downloading to the unit, I have never had a problem

2) Again, the battery door on mine closes flush every time and removing the battery is a simple process, It does fit tightly in the compartment and will only come out one way but I have never destroyed or damaged a battery in removal or installation

3)Again no problem... I don't want card slots exposed to the elements... It's a good place for leaks!

I'm not sure why you are having so many problems with yours, I've had my Explorist 400 for some time now and have found it to be a good dependable unit that has caused me no problems at all. And yes, I have gotten it very wet and am still using it

1. It takes my screw connection to take forever to thread and connect, and its been that way since its been out of the box. I know the design is for waterproofing reasons, but for geocaching, waterproof isn't a big feature that I need.

2. It has never been flush for me. If you can see daylight thru the cover, then its definately not flush and waterproof. Then I don't care about waterproof, but It would be nice if this thing actually looked like it closed fully. I have a battery in there now that I guarantee that it won't come out without some damage.

3. My treo cell phone has a card slot, and has been out in the elements, with no problems. Water resistant is good, but waterproof is not as important. Are you folks swimming with these units? I have never been caught in a sudden rainstorm while geocaching, and I think my pocket would work if I did.

1. It takes my screw connection to take forever to thread and connect, and its been that way since its been out of the box. I know the design is for waterproofing reasons, but for geocaching, waterproof isn't a big feature that I need.

2. It has never been flush for me. If you can see daylight thru the cover, then its definately not flush and waterproof. Then I don't care about waterproof, but It would be nice if this thing actually looked like it closed fully. I have a battery in there now that I guarantee that it won't come out without some damage.

3. My treo cell phone has a card slot, and has been out in the elements, with no problems. Water resistant is good, but waterproof is not as important. Are you folks swimming with these units? I have never been caught in a sudden rainstorm while geocaching, and I think my pocket would work if I did.

1. I did strip out the connection on my explorist 600, but REI swapped it for a new unit (gotta love REI). Now I use the cradle mount on my desktop. Just pop the unit in whan I get home- no problems charging and downloading.

2. I have the rechargable battery, not the AAAs, so the fit is not a problem and the cover fits tight and flush.

3. I very, very rarely remove the SD card. I don't need to take it out to load it, so the location dosn't bother me. As for water, I have taken the unit canoeing (managed to keep it dry), and caching in the rain (it didn't stay dry). So water profing is important, but the unit has done fine in that regard.

1. I did strip out the connection on my explorist 600, but REI swapped it for a new unit (gotta love REI). Now I use the cradle mount on my desktop. Just pop the unit in whan I get home- no problems charging and downloading.

2. I have the rechargable battery, not the AAAs, so the fit is not a problem and the cover fits tight and flush.

3. I very, very rarely remove the SD card. I don't need to take it out to load it, so the location dosn't bother me. As for water, I have taken the unit canoeing (managed to keep it dry), and caching in the rain (it didn't stay dry). So water profing is important, but the unit has done fine in that regard.

Where do you find a cradle for these that you can charge and download? I have looked everywhere!

do an ebay search for explorist swivel mount and you will find a couple. There is an OEM and another in multiple colors. Using one of these makes things much easier.

As others have said, the cover makes a good seal, my Li-ion battery is easily removed. However, I rarely remove it or the SD card.

do an ebay search for explorist swivel mount and you will find a couple. There is an OEM and another in multiple colors. Using one of these makes things much easier.

As others have said, the cover makes a good seal, my Li-ion battery is easily removed. However, I rarely remove it or the SD card.

Those are swivel mounts for your car.....what does it have to do with charging and downloading? I am asking about a cradle that the unit pops in to charge and download, not a swivel mount for the car.

Although intended for the dashboard, they also work just fine on the desktop. The data/power cable mounts in a semi-permanent manner so you just click the GPS in or out. I haven't used the screw connector since I got the mount.

Froogle also is a good place to check...I think prices run even lower.

As embra said, I have mine on my desk. When I got home a little while ago, I dropped my 500 in the swivel mount and it started charging. I loaded the tracklog file from my hike today into my computer and am using it in a couple of programs. In the morning, I will take it out of the mount, turn it on and use it for another outdoor activity.

As embra said, I have mine on my desk. When I got home a little while ago, I dropped my 500 in the swivel mount and it started charging. I loaded the tracklog file from my hike today into my computer and am using it in a couple of programs. In the morning, I will take it out of the mount, turn it on and use it for another outdoor activity.

I agree, the swivel mount is a godsend, especially for those of us who have the eXplorists with the rechargable Li-Ion battery packs.

I thought the eXplorist was a pretty decent GPS. I never had any problems with ours (two of them). Never once had the need to remove the SD card or batteries.

--Marky

I agree, the swivel mount is a godsend, especially for those of us who have the eXplorists with the rechargable Li-Ion battery packs.

I thought the eXplorist was a pretty decent GPS. I never had any problems with ours (two of them). Never once had the need to remove the SD card or batteries.

--Marky

Ditto. My Explorist 400 has been great.

The swivel mount makes using it so much easier.

The only time I replaced the SD card was when I was playing around to see if a high speed card would make any difference in time it takes a detail map to load (it doesn't). And then when I went to a larger memory card. You can drag and drop files straight to the subfolders on the SD card with it in the unit, so there isn't any reason to keep popping it out.

Same thing with the LI-ON battery. It charges right inside the unit, so unless you're out in the woods for a couple days and need to replace it with a spare, why take it out? And if you're going out and can't recharge for a few days, you might want to use the AAA adaptor anyway.

The case should close flush. If it doesn't, you might have a defective case, or the wrong battery. The Motorola SNN5595B battery is actually just a bit thinner than the Magellan proprietary battery, so that might help, although it shouldn't make a difference.

Edit: The Triton 400 SD card is on the side of the unit, not behind the battery. You don't have to remove the battery on the Triton.

Edited by Walt Jabsco

It is that way to be waterproof

Well, that's what they tell us. However, the problem is the waterproof rating is a lie. They are not waterproof (any more than the new Garmin Colorado). Look on the threads, and like me, you will find people whose eXplorists got wet and were damaged or died. As was mentioned, the battery compartment does not seal well. Water gets in. The 4 pin round connector on many Garmins is much better, and it lets no water into the unit.

Hmmmm haven't tried the Vista for waterproof but I did dunk the 60CSx. since they don't really float and I use it on my boat I clipped one of those key floats to it and had to test it so I dropped it into the lake. No ill effects and the key float is sufficient to keep it floating.

I droped my explorist 500 in a lake over a year ago, my exp. 500 still works.

Before any company can put the IPx7 water proof rating in any product, the product has to be test by an

independent lab.

Then then is a the consumer that thinks he can go swimming with a gps in the pocket of his swim trunks without damaging the gps. I have seen this happen, the guy was an idiot, he spent an entire swimming with his GPS in his pocket, Ha!!!! :bad:

Quality of the eXplorist XL is a notch above the other eXplorists, but the XL that I have would sink to the bottom of a lake in an instant, if I were to drop it. If on the water, or near water, it would not hurt to keep the eXplorist in a ziplock bag, and if it did hit the water, the bag would keep it dry, without it sinking to the bottom.

SNIP

You live in Amarillo TX. Come to Seattle. It rains a lot here. If you were using your Treo outside in the weather it would be dead by now. Waterproofing is not just for the battery or SD card slot.

I, for one, would want the unit to be waterproof if I am outside geocaching. I am not sure what the issues are with the battery compartment but it sounds like it is not installed correctly.

SNIP

You live in Amarillo TX. Come to Seattle. It rains a lot here. If you were using your Treo outside in the weather it would be dead by now. Waterproofing is not just for the battery or SD card slot.

I, for one, would want the unit to be waterproof if I am outside geocaching. I am not sure what the issues are with the battery compartment but it sounds like it is not installed correctly.

The compartment door has never been flush or sealed, even before I have put any battery inside (either the triple aaa's or rechargeable). And true Amarillo only gets 20 inches a rain a year, and only about 2 inches since last summer!

the joystick on my 210 won't move the cursor to the left any more after only 3 months use. I bought it on eBay so iam not sure what to do about it. I hate the idea of sending it to Magellan for repair, never to be seen again. I guess I can try getting a replacement form the eBay seller. Anybody else have this problem?

My Explorist 500le has a battery compartment door that isn't flush either,and there is no battery or clip inside. It's been that way since I bought it.

I'm not too fond of the cable connection design either, but it sounds like the swivel mount is a great way to compensate for that. What about car charging, does the swivel mount work for that as well?

Yup, charging in the swivel base while in car or at home is not a problem. In the car you'll need some sort of 12v-compatible plug. The Pelican PSP-II converter was something that many of us got for $7 or so at WalMart. Another alternative are those 12v-in/USB-out converters that are widely available. I'd stay away from the official Magellan offering, which will cost more than it should.

I agree about many of the comments about poor design and I would like to mention somrthing about their customer service so

BE WARNED!!!!!!

My magellan explorist failed to communicate and I contacted them. NIGHTMARE!!!! Almost 20 calls/ over 4 months wait/ Hours wasted waiting on hold/ running trough a big trouble shoot multiple times.... The list goes on. They repeatedly lied and told me a replacement was on the way when that wasn't a fact. I was sent a replacement cable C.O.D. (unit was still under waranty) while the cable wasn't the problem.

WORST CUSTOMER SERVICE IN MY LIFE. EVER.

but I want to make it clear that I never took it out on the poor staff. It's bad enuf that they work night shift in India to serve us in North America our during business hours...

Why I hated my explorist 210 and 500:

Searching for waas sats that don't exist. I informed my b-i-l about this and he tested turning waas off -- he said that after turning it off his batteries last forever now! (with the same gps accuracy as before).

There's an entire thread dedicated to WAAS and the Explorist. In short, if WAAS is that important to you, you can update your Explorist 500 to the European firmware Ver 2.57 and you'll get your WAAS back.

Why I hated my explorist 210 and 500:

Searching for waas sats that don't exist. I informed my b-i-l about this and he tested turning waas off -- he said that after turning it off his batteries last forever now! (with the same gps accuracy as before).

There's an entire thread dedicated to WAAS and the Explorist. In short, if WAAS is that important to you, you can update your Explorist 500 to the European firmware Ver 2.57 and you'll get your WAAS back.

Unfortunately the newer models were incompatible with the EU firmware. Something about harware changes with the unit. Both of the ones I had were the newer model. They had "Canada 310" and something like RoHS on them.

My next GPS will not be a Magellan, unless they learn how to design a unit that is well designed for easy use and connectivity......

End of angry rant!! :drama::drama:;);)

1. The screw connection is awkward, but it's also used for cigarette lighter adapter in a vehicle mount so a simple USB connection may not work there. But I understand your frustration. I think I could connect it easier if I had three hands.

2. My battery compartment lid is not flush either, so the seaworthiness of my unit is suspect. However, I don't ever remove the battery, so I don't have that problem.

3. I don't remove the SD card either. It just stays in the unit, so this one is no bid deal to me.