How have you padlocked an ammo can?

mvigor

This design would be easy to defeat, just unscrew the bolt. Then you aren't waterproof anymore.

You aren't locked anymore either.

I was thinking about bending the eye open with large pliers.

You could weld the nut to the bold inside the can, that would help. If you run the outside nut all the way up to the end of the threads, then weld the inner nut to the bolt, then maybe....

This design would be easy to defeat, just unscrew the bolt. Then you aren't waterproof anymore.

You aren't locked anymore either.

I was thinking about bending the eye open with large pliers.

I'm sure someone could hacksaw through it too. Hey, it's a geocache, not a safe. How secure does it have to be?

Anyway, for this cache the bolt would just spin when you turned it. I needed pliers on the inside nut to take it apart when I retired the cache.

Edited by briansnat
Locks on an ammo can pretty much keep the honest honest

Yeah, I'm not looking for extreme security here because I'll know whether or not the person logging the find opened the lock because they will have picked up my travel bug with the key on it. A muggle could just walk away with the whole ammo can and open it at home at their leisure anyway.

Excellent ideas and I'm glad I can do this with $2 worth of parts from the farm store.

why?
puzzle cache

35dadb9b-9d4e-4d83-b3b1-56b2824de896.jpg

Thinking about doing this for a Multi. YOu go to the last cache first and get the coords for the second cache which has the keys. Upon getting the keys you go back to the final to open the lock :lol::):):rolleyes:B)
My concern is that before long, the key won't make it back to it's cache.
Locks on an ammo can pretty much keep the honest honest
Yeah, I'm not looking for extreme security here because I'll know whether or not the person logging the find opened the lock because they will have picked up my travel bug with the key on it. A muggle could just walk away with the whole ammo can and open it at home at their leisure anyway.
Lock the cache and secure it to a tree.

LK5034.jpg

How have you padlocked an ammo can? Please show pictures of how you locked yours.

I have seen these, but I'd like more ideas:

30_can.jpg

ammolock1.JPG

Well, my ex-girlfriend Shelley useta tell me back in 2000 and 2001 about a sado-masochism (S&M) bar called The Dungeon in downtown Baltimore -- just two blocks from H & H Surplus on Eutaw Street, which sells ammo cans of all sizes -- where there was an underground dungeon where they would put people in chains and padlocks, but I am not sure if they ever put ammo cans in chains and padlocks. In any case, I am not sure if the bar is still in business. But H & H Surplus is still located on Eutaw Street, and they still seem to have plenty of ammo cans in stock. Shelley knew about both these places because she worked as a stripper in a bar on The Block, just a few blocks to the south of that area.

The normal result would be the bolt loosens up just enough to free spool. Locks on an ammo can pretty much keep the honest honest.

You'd think that right?

Here's a log that was deleted from our local locked cache:

Figured there would be a clue when we got there. There wasn't. Couldn't waste a quarter mile trudge through the woods, so I dismantled the locking mechanism. Sorry. Didn't realize there was a bolt on the inside too. You might want to fix it, it's an easy open right now. Great idea though, might want to make it even more monkey proof.

Note that that "quarter mile trudge" was round trip time. My favorite is that his listed job, "Intelligence Analyst".

The normal result would be the bolt loosens up just enough to free spool. Locks on an ammo can pretty much keep the honest honest.

You'd think that right?

Figured there would be a clue when we got there. There wasn't. Couldn't waste a quarter mile trudge through the woods, so I dismantled the locking mechanism. Sorry. Didn't realize there was a bolt on the inside too. You might want to fix it, it's an easy open right now. Great idea though, might want to make it even more monkey proof.

Note that that "quarter mile trudge" was round trip time. My favorite is that his listed job, "Intelligence Analyst".

Thanks for sharing this hilarious tale! And, his most telling words were "...make it even more monkey proof". Amazing! Astounding!

Edited by Vinny & Sue Team

You'd think that right?

;) That's great irony on the job listing.

That's too bad about your cache. Common sense is such a misnomer.

I have used locks on a few of my ammo can caches as a puzzle. If you buy the combo locks that you can set yourself, you can define a combo and let the cacher have to figure it out. I have several that have letters on them instead of numbers and they test the cachers knowledge with basic caching acronyms as the combo, like WAAS, TNLN, or GPSr (the "r" throws a lot of people off, believe it or not!).

I have to try one of these methods for securing the cans, though. Mine have been pried off several times by impatient people... :smile:

Done drilling a hole and using an eye bolt, two hex nuts, two metal washers and two flat rubber washers. 100 percent waterproof.

5de8a3cf-1927-4c1f-af9a-47cd1c615a48.jpg

5c89f66f-b3bd-463f-ad5e-5eb587eabb8e.jpg

I have one just like that except I used a 4 digit combination lock. It has survived some VERY wet weather without leaking. The secret is the two rubber washers with two large flat washers. Actually, I also used a second nut inside as a lock nut so it won't unscrew by twisting the eye bolt from the outside.

I had two people find it by accident and they were intrigued by the box so they made geocaching accounts and found the 5 caches leading up to this one and went back and opened it up. Two new "accidental" geocachers. :drama:

Edited by Thrak