Ladies caching solo?

no_angel

I gave my husband a GPSr for Christmas, but I'm the one who has really been bitten by the Geocaching bug. We found our first caches while on vacation, along with our two college-age sons. Our vacation spot was relatively deserted, so we really didn't encounter many people during our searches and even if we did, we were just a family out for a hike or visiting a local landmark.

Now that we're back home, our opportunities to cache together are slim. My husband & I work crazy hours making it difficult to line up time to cache. The kids are back at school. I haven't been able to recruit any caching buddies (yet!).

I'd really like to do some hunting on my own. I live in an urban environment and there are plenty of caches in local parks and other public places that I feel quite safe visiting. There are half a dozen caches within a few blocks of where I work! I'm a city kid and I think I have good street smarts - I'm not going to go looking for a cache in a place that is giving off bad vibes. And none of the caches I'd be looking for offer difficult terrain, although some of them may get a little wet from time to time.

OTOH, I feel really awkward caching by myself. I pulled into the parking area of a local park, looked at all the joggers and moms with strollers and folks walking their dogs & I felt way too self-conscious to go hunting. Having a family member along to provide "cover" seems more natural. Any tips for overcoming this reluctance? Words of advice from other lady cachers? Or should I just give up the idea of caching solo and work on coordinating schedules better?

That's interesting to me, as someone who's been described as a big mean-looking guy, I always thought women geocachers had it pretty easy.

Nobody will look twice at you if you go into a playground to find a cache, (not something most men cachers with a dislike of jail would even dare do by themselves), or if you are seen lurking around in bushes people aren't very likely to think you are up to no good. And certainly you won't get that momentary look of fear as each jogger suddenly comes upon you walking down a bike trail by yourself ...until you try to smile and give them the reassuring hello to say "no, I'm not a scary psycho rapist-killer, just a friendly geocacher out for a walk."

:(

But I think you are right, everyone looks less suspicious when they are in a group than when they are out by themselves.

Get a dog!! :D:D:( . You can go fossicking in the bushes looking for his 'ball' or 'frisbee' and no one will notice! Plus if you get a big dog it will provide you a bit more safety.

I actually think if you and your husband can schedule more time together it has got to be a good thing!!! You can talk over stuff as you walk and/or drive to caches and go out for coffe or drinks or what ever you are into later after you've found the cache/s.

PB and I have made geocaching our 'thing' we do together and it has been alot of fun.

Annie

I cache w/ my grandkids and by myself every once in a while.

Truth to tell, I enjoy the solitary outings very much! I go at my own pace, rest when I like, stop and enjoy the surrounds quite a bit. But then I start thinking.. J would love that! or DM would've found that soooooo easy... LOL

We got our GPSr last summer while we were in Montana. Basically so my husband wouldn't have to print out our trip maps any longer and also to mark where he was taking his photographs. In October when we got back home, I started geocaching. He has no interest in it (muggle through and through!), so I cache alone. I try to be very aware of my surroundings and if I'm uncomfortable in an area, I'll just skip it until another time and if it's still not one I want to try alone, I'll just forget that one or try to talk my sister into going with me.

The more I go out, the more confident I've become about caching. I did pick up a whistle from one of my found caches and put it on my GPSr's lanyard. I also carry my cell phone with me if I'm leaving my vehicle for any length of time. I also tell my husband what area I'm going to that day and try to give him an approximate time that I should be back. (If I'm running later than anticipated, I call to let him know.)

We're currently in South Texas for the winter and I'm caching in totally unfamiliar areas. Since I don't have any knowledge of these neighborhoods, I'm more cautious than at home and even more likely to drive past any cache area that looks "funny".

Basically, it just boils down to being careful and aware of your surroundings (don't get so fixated on the hunt that you forget to look around once in a while). Good luck!

I'm not married or with a significant other - so if I want to go caching, I go by myself or find a friend or relative to go with me. Not caching doesn't seem to be an option for me - I'm hooked! I make sure I don't go down any isolated trails by myself. There are too many vagrant camps in the metro area and wildlife in the forests. It would be just my luck to fall and break something and not have a friend to call for help. So use your common sense. If it doesn't feel safe - don't go by yourself. There are plenty of micros in town to keep you busy until you can find someone to go with you to find those where you have to hike into a park or forest.

Today, a guy was sitting in a running van that was somewhat close to a micro in a bush. I finally just went for it. As I walked back to my vehicle he got out and gave me the once over. He then walked over to some other people in the park. Either he was a cop on a stake out or thought I was up to no good. But, I just don't have the criminal look, more like a young Grandma, so they usually leave me alone.

Don't give up caching, it is the best excuse to Get Out of the House! There are lots of nice geocachers you can meet at events that would be glad to meet up with you and go caching together. I actually enjoy the social aspect of caching, as much as I enjoy finding each cache.

When I first started geocaching, I felt awkward too when I cached alone. It is more fun when you cache with others, and you are right that it doesn't look as weird when more than one person is hiking out on the trail. But, if you don't have time to coordinate your geocaching time with your family, it is still fun to cache alone. Just like you said, make sure that the areas you visit are safe and aren't giving off bad vibes. Your awkward feelings should go away after your first couple of solo hunts. I didn't feel as strange after about my third one. After that I was too wrapped up in the fun of finding the cache to be worried about how I might look. Chances are no one is going to give you a second look anyway, since they are all probably wrapped up in the fun that they are having themselves.

I pulled into the parking area of a local park, looked at all the joggers and moms with strollers and folks walking their dogs & I felt way too self-conscious to go hunting.

Honestly this sounds like a personal problem, and not one of your safety but one of... I don't know... your feelings that everyone is looking at you a judging you.

If you're over the age of 25 I'm surprised that you don't realize by now that nobody really cares enough to even notice you unless you look like you're messing with their property or their person.

I don't think we can help you regarding this. We can give you advice to help you make yourself safer but not to overcome self-defeating psychological obstacles. :(

I'm a single female, and I have no problem caching by myself - in the city, the suburbs, the woods. I've cached solo since I first started 5 years ago, and never felt weird about it, but I'm not one of those who must have other people around me to be validated, have fun, or feel safe. I will do multi-mile hikes on my own (except for the woodland critters) if no one's available to go with, or if I just want the solitude (I find my bliss in the woods :( ).

Yes, I also cache with my friends, frequently, and it's also fun, and it does allow me to go places I wouldn't go by myself. I know other female cachers who cache alone on occasion (some more daring than I am, with solo mountain climbing and such). But I also know many who feel as you do. Do what feels comfortable and right for you, but don't run too scared - you'll miss out on a lot of great adventures.

Edited by hydnsek

OTOH, I feel really awkward caching by myself. I pulled into the parking area of a local park, looked at all the joggers and moms with strollers and folks walking their dogs & I felt way too self-conscious to go hunting. Having a family member along to provide "cover" seems more natural. Any tips for overcoming this reluctance? Words of advice from other lady cachers? Or should I just give up the idea of caching solo and work on coordinating schedules better?

Carry a little point and shoot camera and every once in awhile take a shot of something. People wont give you a second look.

Basically, it just boils down to being careful and aware of your surroundings (don't get so fixated on the hunt that you forget to look around once in a while). Good luck!

Perhaps this is yet another benefit of geocaching. Due to the potential muggle factor, we are all probably much more aware of our surroundings while out caching than most people. Hopefully that awareness continues when we are not caching and in surrounding which should probably require a little more attention.

I'm a woman and cache alone mostly. My husband only accompanies me on perhaps a fourth of the caching I do.

Folks mostly are busy doing what they're doing, and aren't that concerned about what you're doing. In urban parks especially, it seems easier for women to move about without attracting attention then for men, who are viewed with a bit more suspicion. A camera is good cover, and picking up trash. You can often work your away around Ground Zero on a cache site gathering bits of paper and cans. Nobody cares.

Just relax and go. If you reach a Not Having Fun moment (for any reason) go somewhere else, do something else. Good luck with this.

Interesting topic. I personally tend not to cache alone, but not because I am self-conscience or because I don't feel good without other people there. On the contrary, I rather enjoy caching with just me and the dog more but I am a 16-year-old female. I am basically the perfect target. The area I live in isn't a bad area by any means, but things happen EVERYWHERE now, even fairly populated or frequented areas. Heck, Stoney Creek Metropark, one of the big parks in the area, was where Steven Grant hid his wife's body parts after he murdered her. And this is a VERY populated park! The populated trail system by my house has been home to several rapes. You just never know theses days. My mom is also a rape victim so she is even more paranoid about me caching alone. She doesn't mind if it is in an urban area, but she is definately uncomforatable with me soloing most of the time. And with her past, I understand and respect that. I guess it just depends on your comfort level and the chance you are willing to take. Just remember to let someone know where you are going if you do solo cache, even if it is "just a drive up". I have a dog, a BIG dog, but he is a lab/golden mix. All he'll do is lick someone to death, so a dog isn't nessassarily a safety net, although I do think he would defend me if needed. So solo cache when it is safe, but don't take a risk. That cache, despite what some may think, is NOT worth your life.

Words of advice from other lady cachers? Or should I just give up the idea of caching solo and work on coordinating schedules better?

I wish you lived in my town! I have similar issues so I understand your concerns. None of my friends are interested in caching so I am left on my own. It doesn't stop me from caching though!

I do normally take my dog with me. I think if someone were to make a move to harm me, he might do something but he's basically just a sweet little dog. I think having a dog with me would be somewhat of a deterrant to someone looking to cause harm.

Some cache locations, such as heavily wooded parks that don't have a lot of people traffic, make me a bit nervous. There was one situation where I sincerely believe I was in danger of some kind of harm, but I kept my wits about me and took steps that prevented anything from happening.

I always make sure I have my cell phone with me. I think if you just make sure you are aware of your surroundings and who's around, you'll be fine. Don't get so engrossed in the hunt that you don't see someone approaching. I think the best advice is to follow your gut instinct. If you out caching alone and are getting bad vibes about any caching situation, leave! You can always do that one another time when you have company. I think following my gut instinct saved me from harm that one time. From now on, if a red flag goes off in my head, I'm gonna act on it!

I don't think I'm paranoid about caching alone. I think I have a healthy respect for the issues regarding caching alone including the possibility of getting hurt or becoming a target for a mugging or other harm. I use caution, but still have a great time caching whether alone or with my dog. So don't let caching alone stop you! :laughing:

Also having a dog and/or a camera is a great way to be less conspicuous caching alone. I've passed myself off numerous times as being a "photographer" who's just looking for that perfect shot--when I'm really hunting! People usually just give a glance and then ignore me. I have had people come up and ask what I was photographing so sometimes you have to think quick!

I gave my husband a GPSr for Christmas, but I'm the one who has really been bitten by the Geocaching bug.

Ha ha. I did the exact same thing... I ended up buying him a new pair of shoes and the GPS is now mine. I've tried to get him interested but I don't think he wants to have much to do with GeoCaching.

Therefore, I don't have anyone to go with either. I have a (just turned) 4 year old and a 21 month old. When it gets warmer out, I'll go to a few of the safer ones to go on treasure hunts with them but I'd feel much better if there was another adult with me. I think it would be alot of fun. *SIGH*

I also love horror movies and I watch that MonsterQuest show on History Channel. Plus my kids are way into Scooby Doo right now. I have been having nightmares about being out in the woods and encountering some beast and me not being able to grab both the kids and outrun the thing. We live in south/central Illinois so really there aren't any animals around here that would attack a human and all the monsters on monsterquest turn out to be a black bear or someone's imagination. As we all know, the monsters on Scooby doo all turn out to be counterfeiters or jewel smugglers. During the day I know that my fears are irrational, but as night falls, the monsters come out. :laughing:

I wish you lived in my town! I have similar issues so I understand your concerns. None of my friends are interested in caching so I am left on my own. It doesn't stop me from caching though!

Watch for geocaching events in the area. I'd bet it'd be pretty easy to find other people who are looking for someone to cache with in your area at a geocaching event.

I pulled into the parking area of a local park, looked at all the joggers and moms with strollers and folks walking their dogs & I felt way too self-conscious to go hunting.

Honestly this sounds like a personal problem, and not one of your safety but one of... I don't know... your feelings that everyone is looking at you a judging you.

If you're over the age of 25 I'm surprised that you don't realize by now that nobody really cares enough to even notice you unless you look like you're messing with their property or their person.

I don't think we can help you regarding this. We can give you advice to help you make yourself safer but not to overcome self-defeating psychological obstacles. :laughing:

A bit harsh don't you think??

Also being a female cacher, I have cached alone on several occasions, one cache I did back out of on my first try was in a heavily populated park, however GZ was near some picnic tables with a bunch of gang bangery looking young men sitting on them. I'm sorry, but there was no way that I was going anywhere near them. I doubt physically they would've have done anything to me but I'm sure there would have been some verbal taunting. (I'm just not one to say something back, especially alone and unarmed and being a general wuss anyways!) Also they would have gone to the cache site area once I'd left to see what was there and probably have muggled it. Another situation was in another park that is full of homeless people, I waited until we had a group for that one also. But on the other hand I've found quite a few on my own and the longer you do it, the less self concious you become. Just do the common sense thing. Go with your gut (if it doesn't feel right, go another day) and pay attention to your surroundings.

A dog is a great companion, muggle deterent.

My mother said I should probably carry a cell phone when I hike just in case

I get injured when I'm alone in the woods. It sounded like a good idea so I bought a Trac

phone for emergencies.

I've been looking into getting pepper spray for those hikes into areas that are home to

large wild critters. I've yet to run into any, but I'd feel better having something with me

to deter them if I did. Pepper spray might work well in some questionable urban

neighborhoods too, although I usually do my best to avoid those.

The neighborhood parks around here are pretty safe. If there are a lot of muggles and I

think I might give away the cache location then I'll come back another time. Sometimes I'll

be caching and notice someone looking at me then I'll start picking up sticks or pinecones

or autumn leaves. They are usually satisfied that I'm just wandering around piking up sticks

or pinecones or leaves and go back to what they are doing or leave.

From: New Orleans, LA ... none of the caches I'd be looking for offer difficult terrain, although some of them may get a little wet from time to time.

Um ... OK. :lol:

Seriously, it sounds like the main problem is that you are uncomfortable doing something you don't normally do in these places. (I'm blowing off the issue of actual danger, trusting your judgement of your street smarts.) You probably already realize that with so many people doing different things in the park, one more won't stand out, so I won't preach that line. :rolleyes:

If you start to feel uncomfortable, just put your GPSr up to your ear and start talking. Say something like "oops, I think I just took another picture of my ear". Will anyone think it's odd that you are wandering around aimlessly when you are on the phone? Even more advantageous, they will avoid interrupting your "conversation".

But I'll say that discomfort looking for a cache with muggle eyes around isn't just a female thing.

Edward

Thanks for all the great input on caching solo! It's good to have advice from those who have gone down this road already. :rolleyes:

I will definitely be taking my cell phone for safety & camouflage. Love the idea of pretend cell phone conversations, or pretending the GPSr is a phone!

Camera usually goes with me - I really ~am~ always looking for the perfect shot!

Dog. New puppy will go later when she behaves better on a leash.

Caching with DH or kids or friends - gotta get those calendars coordinated.

Will also try to attend a get-together of my local caching group. Might find a caching buddy with a similar crazy work schedule!

One more thought - read this in one of the forums - print out the "brochure" from Geocacher University and carry it in the caching bag. Something to offer folks who approach with questions about what you're doing.

Thanks for all the great input on caching solo! It's good to have advice from those who have gone down this road already. :laughing:

I will definitely be taking my cell phone for safety & camouflage. Love the idea of pretend cell phone conversations, or pretending the GPSr is a phone!

Camera usually goes with me - I really ~am~ always looking for the perfect shot!

Dog. New puppy will go later when she behaves better on a leash.

Caching with DH or kids or friends - gotta get those calendars coordinated.

Will also try to attend a get-together of my local caching group. Might find a caching buddy with a similar crazy work schedule!

One more thought - read this in one of the forums - print out the "brochure" from Geocacher University and carry it in the caching bag. Something to offer folks who approach with questions about what you're doing.

Let me add one more thing about a GPS as a cell phone. Once there was what appeared to me a real nut case a little distance off- acting strange and at times predatory with his car. When he drove up by me I put some trees between me and his car and put my GPS up to my ear and acted like I was telling someone on the other end all about this nut case in front of me while I was trying to figure out the best place to flee to. My thoughts were if he thinks I'm squealing on the phone to someone else about his crazy actions maybe he'll think twice and leave. Didn't have my cell phone then. My first defense is always to get out as quickly and safely as possible.