Adding a Little History to Spice up a Cache

I am an opportunistic cacher. I do not have time to do all the caches in my area, so I am selective to the caches that are of interest to me. I have passed many sites to find the caches that had a little spice added to them. These Caches attracted my attention and brought me to areas I wouldn't bother with because of the added historical information put on the cache page.

When I created my own caches, I suddenly found myself researching the background infomation of the area as a reason why people should come and find the cache. I have had such nice responses to these caches, that I get emails from local caches asking me when I will put out my next cache.

People who might have passed one of my multi-caches came and did it because of the history behind the area. I have had people make special trips just to do one of my historical caches.

I add natural history and human history information to the cache page.

Besides racking up another find on your list of caches, what draws you to pass some caches to do others? Do you enjoy a cache more if it has the added history to the area or does finding any old cache at the edge of a parking lot do it for you? What makes a cache your favorite type of cache to do? What do you wish there were more of?

Edited by Ride The Heights

I don't care for long and drawn out cache descriptions, especially those that don't format well on a PDA. Those I might actually skip. Succinctness is a virtue in my book.

Not that I've not been guilty of it myself, but I know what it's like on the viewer's end. We tend to try to get the required info out as brief as possible, now.

The longer the writeup, be it historical, scenic, interesting, little known or whtever, those get the most attention from me.

I particularly like the historical ones though.

I can guess that a cache is fairly un-inspired when I see a description of 5 words or less.

I've seen caches go overboard with the writeup. I'll end up not reading the whole thing if there's too much incidental, blah blah blah information added. I definitely enjoy caches that bring us to a historical site but i have to admit that scenery and challenge are what i like most in a cache!

We tend to go for those that are apparent that the owner has taken more time on them. It doesn't need to be historical, but we greatly appreciate extra info given in any subject. We're homeschoolers and enjoy incorporating our caching into our teaching so we enjoy any extra info, geography, geology, history, cultural studies, etc. We also appreciate a well laid out cache listing filled with photos, a thorough description, and plenty of info to help us find the immediate area like directions, parking info (if needed), etc. Because we appreciate the "something extra" that we look for, we include those items into all of our caches where they apply.

I don't think that it's necessarily important to make a lengthy description and sometimes can be just too much to read on a PDA. But, for the instances where we would like to supply more info we include links to information online as well as listing facilities in the area of the cache where more information can be obtained. I think a little extra time and planning makes for a well-liked cache. They may not be more sought out, depending on the remoteness of the cache, but the finders are much more appreciative of the effort you put in to them.

Several years ago, I had a cache at an old foundation in the middle of the woods. I didn't mention this on the cache page. I wanted it to be a surprise. In the cache, I had a laminated sheet explaining what it had been and some history of the area.

I recently revived that cache after compulsory archival. This time, I put the info on the cache page, including an old photo of the original structure that a finder of the previous cache gave me, thinking it would be a bigger draw. It gets about one hit per month, much less than the original cache. So apparently, around here, history isn't a real big draw (at least, not enough to get people to hike more than a mile).

But for me, history on a cache page is absolutely draw. Especially when it involves ruins out in the woods.

Edited by Dinoprophet

History and background info does add something to a cache page, as long as it's not overdone. One of my favorite types of caches are the ones where the writeup sucks you in with some info, but you have to find the cache to get "the rest of the story". A great example of this is The Beer Well. It's one of my favorite caches, in a great location, and with a great story. I've hidden a similar one myself, and have another in the planning stages. Using history or a story to pique someone's interest and providing the full story in the cache is a great way to set your hide apart.

The longer the writeup, be it historical, scenic, interesting, little known or whtever, those get the most attention from me.

I particularly like the historical ones though.

I can guess that a cache is fairly un-inspired when I see a description of 5 words or less.

I've seen caches go overboard with the writeup. I'll end up not reading the whole thing if there's too much incidental, blah blah blah information added. I definitely enjoy caches that bring us to a historical site but i have to admit that scenery and challenge are what i like most in a cache!

Agreed - there is such a thing as too much...... :(

...Besides racking up another find on your list of caches, what draws you to pass some caches to do others? Do you enjoy a cache more if it has the added history to the area or does finding any old cache at the edge of a parking lot do it for you? What makes a cache your favorite type of cache to do? What do you wish there was more of?

Location, Location, Location.

I will pick a cache dense area of town. I may pick a certain route. Or a trail All the caches in the 'zone' will get hit. I read the description and logs just before looking for the cache, but it's not what makes me look for the cache.

There are a couple of things that are always better for me than worse. A good cache description, a larger container. I've never been dissapointed by either of those things and they have always been the icing on the cake.

I have to admit that an overly verbose cache write up just reads like 'blah blah blah' and I tune it out. Interesting verbosity is another thing. I like that.

Edited by Renegade Knight

I like a bit of history when I'm reclining on the couch with an old Reminisce magazine, but when it comes to geocaching I have to admit that history hits me as irrelevant information and I tend to mentally filter it out. My goal is the cache, getting to the cache and finding the cache. Once I've returned home, I'll take the time to read the lengthy cache page, but it's never what draws me to the cache.

I pick and choose caches more by who hid them and whether I think the cache is still in place and maintained. I also choose them based on proxy, and whether or not I think it's the sort of area where I'll end up making a fool of myself in public.

I like both. Sometimes it's nice to just do an LPC or some such, like when I don't have a lot of time or it's rainy, or whatever. I do like the history ones for when I have the time to appreciate the area and it's a nice day. Essentially, if it's a cache, I like it. If more thought is put into it, I appreciate it even more.

From my observations:

For most cachers within their local (home) area, the comments of nonaeroterraqueous are probably spot-on. They simply do not care.

Yet, there are the few that are drawn to a cache with meaning, and has some history behind it. These types generally will save such a special cache for a milestone, and generally leave decent on-line and physical logs.

From my experience (recent, at that):

When caching out of my home turf, and presented with limited time to cache, for me the discriminator is to select caches that have MEANING. I love historical caches, since I can see & feel the history of the region.

Yet, there are also those who would plan a caching expedition with a business trip that would select for most number of finds in the shortest period.

Quite frankly, I'm overjoyed with some of the spots a recent trip revealed - while there are others that would be just as satisfied with a lamp post micro in Wal Mart parking lots fest.

To answer the OP's remarks : Yes, both. :(

i Love the fact that there is a history lesson to be learned. I have learned so much caching about the local history. In our area there is a cemetary where the North and South soldiers are buried and i went up and down that road all my life but never knew that was there. Thanks so geocaching i found it out and that has been my story on countless times i have been to a cache. Never knew there was a telescope that the local college uses in our area. Found that out cause of caching. Lots of history about my own town that i never knew until i started doing research for some of our caches.

we"re lost

I love history related caches when there is some thing to find like an artifact, but without something like that, it makes it less interesting. It doesn't mean I won't consider finding it. I prefer history related caches for milestones, but I might not consider a cache for a milestone if there is nothing to see.

Cool histirical info about the site/area are definitely a big draw for me, as is an interesting and/or unique location in and of itself.

As for long write-ups, I look at them like long movies. I'm fine with them being long so long as there's a good reason to be and aren't just dragging on.

Agreed. Basic textbook historical is okay but unique, little known, funny, or presented in a creative way is better. If anything starts to look like the standard page out of a Chamber of Commerce brochure, or college textbook, I try to get through it but my hand has a mind of it's own and seems to want to scroll...

A favorite example was a kind of funny historical blurb that was included in the description of a cache site that I have driven by daily for years. Turns out that the cache was hidden in the stone wall of a former Carmel-by-the Sea nudist colony. If you live here, you know that this now very conservative community did once have a colorful bohemian past. However, learning (through geocaching) that there was a nudist colony smack in the middle of town was a hoot! (And no, you won't find that info in any of the city historical or chamber info :ph34r::ph34r:

Edited by private bones

I love historical caches! My passion is looking for ghost towns and old cemeteries. Have caches at 71 ghost towns and numerous old cemeteries. I research the ghost towns and include the history on the cache page. Have even met the author of a book about some of the ghost towns I've done. He's a geocacher himself and was delighted to see the caches and the information I had included from his book. He placed caches at the rest of the ghost towns in his book- the ones I hadn't been able to find. And is now researching others in his county to place more caches. So yes, I like to see historical information on a cache page and will read every word.

I love historical caches! My passion is looking for ghost towns and old cemeteries. Have caches at 71 ghost towns and numerous old cemeteries. I research the ghost towns and include the history on the cache page. Have even met the author of a book about some of the ghost towns I've done. He's a geocacher himself and was delighted to see the caches and the information I had included from his book. He placed caches at the rest of the ghost towns in his book- the ones I hadn't been able to find. And is now researching others in his county to place more caches. So yes, I like to see historical information on a cache page and will read every word.

Cool! I'm going to have to look at your cache pages! I like the idea of ghost towns!

Cool! I'm going to have to look at your cache pages! I like the idea of ghost towns!

Me too! Now THIS sounds like a creative and unique way to present historical information. Makes me wonder what geocachers in CA have done with ghost towns....I bet there are some good ones up in the foothills of Gold Counrty or along the Cal /Nev border. Thanks for bringing this up!

I'm a big fan of hiding and finding historical caches.

Some of my historical write-ups are quite long. If cachers don't care to read them, due to the pursuit of the "all mighty smiley," then it's their loss not mine. You can tell when a "numbers cacher" finds a nice historical cache because their log says, "#26 of 80 today, nice spot TFTC TNSL."

My historical caches:

Ghost Town (Four Caches in four locations)

The Llano Del Rio Cache

(Downed Aircraft related)

The Last Flight of the Hercules

C-46A Commando Crash site

EA3B/ P-38 Crash Site

My "wordiest" historical cache:

F6FK Hellcat Drone Wreck Site

I too enjoy hiding and finding caches with historical or education information. But, I do understand that many cachers do not. As a result, on one of my historical caches, I included the following note in the first paragraph of the description:

"I apologize about the long description, but this was originally intended to be 3 separate virtual caches. (To skip the details and work the cache only, you can jump directly to the 4 headings marked by *** below.)"

I then put 3 asterisks immediately in front of the information required to only make the find. To see how I incorporated this feature, here is the cache:

Well, Well, Well: 3 Artesians

Hopefully, this setup has kept both types of cachers happy. :)

medoug.

I have a list about a mile long of things I say I would do if I won the lotto, but...

One thing I would do is place caches on each of the accessible ship wrecks up and down the East coast, very much like what Kit Fox does for aircraft. I love to scuba any dive is a good dive but the best dives are one with a true "treasure" to behold once you've made the journey. (Hence, my enjoyment of caching.)

:)

I enjoy geocaching because of the marriage with local history. I have set up some geocaches (I call history-caches) at historically significant locations and continue with building a Google Earth overlay with the coords. Don't you think it's cool to stand at a spot where you found a geocache and learn that ancient natives were buried in that area or a famous movie star visited this exact spot or even a battle was fought close by?

Or that a treasure ship went down just off this shore.

I'd like to meet some other geocachers who would like to share methods and techniques for expanding this

marriage between geocaching and history. Send a friends request and I will tell you what we are up to.

-RKO

"Live from Cape Canaveral"

Edited by History-Cacher

I have a list about a mile long of things I say I would do if I won the lotto, but...

One thing I would do is place caches on each of the accessible ship wrecks up and down the East coast, very much like what Kit Fox does for aircraft. I love to scuba any dive is a good dive but the best dives are one with a true "treasure" to behold once you've made the journey. (Hence, my enjoyment of caching.)

:rolleyes:

I enjoy geocaching because of the marriage with local history. I have set up some geocaches (I call history-caches) at historically significant locations and continue with building a Google Earth overlay with the coords. Don't you think it's cool to stand at a spot where you found a geocache and learn that ancient natives were buried in that area or a famous movie star visited this exact spot or even a battle was fought close by?

Or that a treasure ship went down just off this shore.

I'd like to meet some other geocachers who would like to share methods and techniques for expanding this

marriage between geocaching and history. Send a friends request and I will tell you what we are up to.

-RKO

"Live from Cape Canaveral"

I love history related caches and have placed my share. I have a series called Revolutionary Places that highlight sites that are related to the American Revolution.

I love those cache pages that hint at something interesting. A long lengthy history is fine if it is interesting. (I'm actually a little bored with earth caches which all seem to talk at length about the geological formation of the area) Fortunately we have lots of clever and inspired cachers around here that make their caches fun and interesting to find. Lamppost caches are nonexistant and guardrail caches are not your usual fare.

When I travel I always look through the area caches to see what sounds like they might be interesting. Here is a sampling:

An Eternal View

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...3d-2ff942069e7f

Esperance Witch (never did get there before it was archived, but sounded so interesting I still think I'll look up the place if ever I get out that way)

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...cb-fc361ba23387

OLC Nature Trail Walk1

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...77-9353774454cd

This final one is my history cache which takes you on a tour around town where you gather info from numerous historical spots for finding the final cache. A lengthy cache but well received by those who have been able to do it. (disabled)

James Fenimore Cooper's Town

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...c7-f37a18c4cf37

We too love caches that highlight something historical or otherwise special about the area, especially when it would not otherwise be obvious. We very much appreciate the cache page writeups (but prefer a paragraph or two).

There are so many caches these days it is often harder to find these gems. In a high density area we sometimes screen by cache name. If looking at google maps or a long list of caches the ones with a name that sounds like there is history or some other special feature will get a click and a look.

I am an opportunistic cacher. I do not have time to do all the caches in my area, so I am selective to the caches that are of interest to me. I have passed many sites to find the caches that had a little spice added to them. These Caches attracted my attention and brought me to areas I wouldn't bother with because of the added historical information put on the cache page.

isn't that Waymarking?

I have some caches in downtown Providence, RI. There are already a number of caches here, including other nanos, but I have tried to place caches where I can draw someone to a site that I was excited about when I first saw it.

For example, my cache at the Rhode Island Famine Memorial:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...c9-6f4eb53106d8

Even Rhode Islanders remark in their logs that they were there for the first time. Makes me glad I shared my discovery!

- Will