Gettings FTFs!

In this part of the world, there is fairly strong competition for FTFs, and although we are sometimes in the running, it would be good to get a few more! (Its all good fun, and it'll give the others something to think about!) Its almost always about 30 minutes from published to found, assuming its a trad cache...

So what do people do to give them an edge, if they're trying to get those FTFs? Obviously, there are the notification e-mails from GC.com, but sometimes they simply get missed or not downloaded in time. Any other tips? A message rule that plays a tune for notification e-mails only? Special software? Texts to a mobile?

All help gratefully received!

Dave

In this part of the world, there is fairly strong competition for FTFs, and although we are sometimes in the running, it would be good to get a few more! (Its all good fun, and it'll give the others something to think about!) Its almost always about 30 minutes from published to found, assuming its a trad cache...

So what do people do to give them an edge, if they're trying to get those FTFs? Obviously, there are the notification e-mails from GC.com, but sometimes they simply get missed or not downloaded in time. Any other tips? A message rule that plays a tune for notification e-mails only? Special software? Texts to a mobile?

Dave

Ask Spindlewood ! He is a past master at the FTF game.

Dave

Ask Spindlewood ! He is a master at the FTF game.

1. Get a Blackberry or similar mobile Email device so you get the notification Emails straight away, even if you're not at your computer.

2. If you don't have a mobile Email device get a mail system that sends you an SMS text to your phone whenever the notification mail comes in. If you're on an Orange mobile you can set this up for free - you don't even pay the "standard text" charge (PM me if you want details); I believe you can do it with other systems for a small charge.

Have your GPS and swag bag ready to go at all hours of the day. Have an understanding wife that doesn't mind you running out the door at midnight to go nab a cache. Be a premium member with notifications sent to your cell phone or other mobile device.

And the most important way to get FTF is when you arrive at the scene of the cache and find another cacher's vehicle already there, call the police the report a suspicious person in the area, wait until they haul them off and then go nab the cache! :rolleyes:

The following FTF had been up for grabs most of this week: the log says it all!!!

GC176XB - FTF I first intended to do this cache on Wednesday, but an unfortunate accident stopped me (My wife driving to work with both the pushchair and toddler rucksack in her car.) So as compensation my wife agreed that we could have a day at Wakehurst Place. Being National Trust members we had free access, so didn't have to use the trades entrance .

After toddling along the paths (one of us quite literally) we eventually came to the first point of the multi. It was then that I realised that I had left my compass back in my car a good 30 minutes walk away. But before I could muster a plan to work out which way SE was, a volley of shots rang out just a few feet away. This distressed certain members of my family, although funnily enough not my 19 month old son. So I relocated the family back inside Wakehurst place before working out what to do. Luckily I had an OS map in the backpack so it was not long before I was on the trail of the multis. After finally reaching the cache I was about to open the log when more shots rang out, followed a few seconds later by a pack of Beagles. They were intent on something a barely gave me a second look

So before you all rush off for your next FTF - stop, look listen!

I'm afriad i've turned into a bit of FTF shark (2x FTF's today) I think the secret is to check regularily for new caches, and be ready to dash out of the door at the first opportunity (caching back packed and well equipped.

Also be prepeared to go out at any time of the day or night to grab the cache.

I don't bother with FTF much but I'd guess the best way to get quick notifications would be to set up a separate e-mail account for your FTF notifications via your Internet Service Provider. Then set up your mobile phone to check that account on a regular basis. I know I can set various options on my phone regarding how often to check such as:- every 30 mins; during which hours of the day to check; and which days to check. Might be worth checking with your phone operator first though to see if you would incur any charges just for connecting without downloading anything.

Dave

Whoops , sorry about that!

Just got a faster car! :laughing::D

Cache U Nutter

Dave

Whoops , sorry about that!

Just got a faster car! :D:laughing:

Cache U Nutter

Bah!! although I confess you're not the only one! :D The prime candidate is away this week though.... :D

I think you might be right with a faster car though - apart from e-mail to my phone (only on PAYG, so can't get that) I have every suggestion in place already, including the PQ homepage! I think what I really need is for caches NOT to published when I'm sitting down to eat dinner!

Keep watching for those church micros Nutter!

Dave

I just got my first FTF. I guess you have to be ready at all times like I was the other night. It was pitch black out there (the New Moon was the night before). Here is my log from it. (GC177VY) "This my first FTF. Spent most of the afternoon out in the High Desert and found 12 of the 15 on my list. I got home and found this one was new and 22 miles from home so I jumped back in the truck with the wife and kids and headed out in the dark at a little past 8:00 PM. I was able to get within .12 miles from it in my 2WD Dodge Ram and then set out on foot. I found it at 9:30 and took the basketball and was going to leave a Happy Meal toy. During that process, I heard some kind of growling nearby and apparently forgot to leave the toy because when I got back in the truck I found it in my pocket. I did sign the log and rehide the cache and got out of there in a hurry before I became some coyote's dinner. Might not be the best cache to go after in the dark. LOL"

I heard some kind of growling nearby and apparently forgot to leave the toy because when I got back in the truck I found it in my pocket. I did sign the log and rehide the cache and got out of there in a hurry before I became some coyote's dinner. Might not be the best cache to go after in the dark. LOL"

I went out for a couple of FTF's late last night. I found one at 10pm and had a DNF on the other. It made me jump when I startled a duck in the canal, thank god we do not have growling things in the UK or animals that could eat you! :laughing:

Any other tips?

PP's remember we are in Eckington land and he publishes late, so sit at your computer from mid evening onwards (solving the multitude of puzzles) and don't go to bed before 1. At the first sign of a cache rush out the door, preferably with the coords and a torch. Did you say you wanted a life? :blink:

Alternatively do as the main culprit does around here and 'work' an awful lot from home.

Hope this helps :blink:

Any other tips?

PP's remember we are in Eckington land and he publishes late, so sit at your computer from mid evening onwards (solving the multitude of puzzles) and don't go to bed before 1. At the first sign of a cache rush out the door, preferably with the coords and a torch. Did you say you wanted a life? :blink:

Alternatively do as the main culprit does around here and 'work' an awful lot from home.

Hope this helps :blink:

1.Find out where the main culprit lives - then submit an evil cache as close to his house as possible - this will be so tempting that it will give you time to go and find some of the other ones round about!

2.Find out when they are away and ask people like me to submit their new ones during that time!

Only joking - perhaps!?!? :ph34r:

Edited by parmstro
Any other tips?

PP's remember we are in Eckington land and he publishes late, so sit at your computer from mid evening onwards (solving the multitude of puzzles) and don't go to bed before 1. At the first sign of a cache rush out the door, preferably with the coords and a torch. Did you say you wanted a life? :unsure:

Hope this helps :cool:

cheers Gary - 'very' helpful information! MrsPP is just as keen a cacher as me, but I don't think the staying up to 1am will go down well!

Working from home is tricky in my job... however the main culprit is currently galavanting round the states, so clearly now is the time to publish!

My personal favourite is letting down the tyres of Nutter, TJ, yourself, and a few others - its a blue ford focus I believe ;-) :ph34r::D