Geowoodstock 6 Traders?

Damenace

I realize that it is a bit early to ask this question, but it is inevitable that it was going to be asked. In light of GeoWoodstock 6 being just around the corner ( :laughing: ), I am sure many of you are in the process of desiging and or already minting a new personal coin for the big event.

Would anyone care to state there intent or maybe even share their idea/concept???

I will start, I am hoping to have three new coins with me and they are as follows:

1. BooBoo will have her very first personal coin to trade. It will be a Trolley coin utilizing the image from her profile.
  2. BooBoo and I will colaberate on an all new personal. Concept to include Stars, Fairies and the Moon.
  3. My all new Lenticular Lens coin that will be a Face to Face trade only, limited quantities will be "handed" out!

We are considering doing something.

Everyone should keep in mind the Geowoodstock people have strict rules about using the name "Geowoodstock" and even rules about using the letters "GW" :) I guess they are claiming ownership over the letters "G" and "W"......

:P

Well I am going to wish them good luck enforcing this :D , I copy righted the alphabet so I have all the rights i need.

I was going to do a coin that says "Geowoodstock" in all the foreign languages :) ! Or maybe a round coin with the letter "G" on one side and the letter "W" on the other side.

Here is the quote from the GWIV website....

Using the name "GeoWoodstock" on your products

The name "GeoWoodstock" has been trademarked by JoGPS and he has authorized the hosts of GeoWoodstock VI to charge a licensing fee to vendors who want to use the name on their products. This applies to all uses of "GeoWoodstock" and "GW" both with and without the roman numeral "VI". We would prefer that you don't use the arabic number "6" but even if you do, the following fee structure still applies.

* For any product which will be sold, such as geocoins and T-shirts, there is a $1 (one US dollar) licensing fee per unit manufactured. We would also like to see all designs before they are manufactured.

* For any product which will be given away for free, there is no licensing fee. Again, we do wish to be advised of all designs before they are manufactured.

Sesame Street better watch out.......I think they have a show sponsored by those 2 letters. :P

We plan on giving our items away for free, so I guess we are ok to use GW. In fact sometimes we will give a coin away for free to people and they will give a coin away to us for free also. :)

Here is the quote from the GWIV website....

The name "GeoWoodstock" has been trademarked by JoGPS and he has authorized the hosts of GeoWoodstock VI to charge a licensing fee to vendors who want to use the name on their products. This applies to all uses of "GeoWoodstock" and "GW" both with and without the roman numeral "VI". We would prefer that you don't use the arabic number "6" but even if you do, the following fee structure still applies.

* For any product which will be sold, such as geocoins and T-shirts, there is a $1 (one US dollar) licensing fee per unit manufactured. We would also like to see all designs before they are manufactured.

* For any product which will be given away for free, there is no licensing fee. Again, we do wish to be advised of all designs before they are manufactured.

Sesame Street better watch out.......I think they have a show sponsored by those 2 letters. :)

We plan on giving our items away for free, so I guess we are ok to use GW. In fact sometimes we will give a coin away for free to people and they will give a coin away to us for free also. :D

I can have so much fun with this, merely based on the premise that I am being told not do do something :) !

I trademarked "tsun", "tsunrisebey", and all the letters in my name, so none of you better have a t,s,u,n,r,i,s,e,b,e, or y in your coins. Otherwise, your birthday will be taken away. (I used "e" twice because of the silent one). :P

Birthdays, what are those? Mine was taken away a long time ago!!!

We are considering doing something.

Everyone should keep in mind the Geowoodstock people have strict rules about using the name "Geowoodstock" and even rules about using the letters "GW" :) I guess they are claiming ownership over the letters "G" and "W"......

:P

My coin will avoid the "G and W" issue by using the letters F and U. :D

When we first asked JoGPS about doing a GWVI coin, he told us we had to pay him $10,000.00. We explained that was too much and would increase the cost of a 250 coin run to $40/coin! He also explained that a non-trackable personal coin would cost $1000.00.

The current 'rules' seem more in line with what is reasonable. You can find them here: http://www.geowoodstockvi.com/News/article/sid=5.html

And from how I read it, free items, ie items not sold, will not be charged a fee:

For any product which will be given away for free, there is no licensing fee. Again, we do wish to be advised of all designs before they are manufactured.
Edited by nielsenc

When we first asked JoGPS about doing a GWVI coin, he told us we had to pay him $10,000.00. We explained that was too much and would increase the cost of a 250 coin run to $40/coin! He also explained that a non-trackable personal coin would cost $1000.00.

The current 'rules' seem more in line with what is reasonable. You can find them here: http://www.geowoodstockvi.com/News/article/sid=5.html

And from how I read it, free items, ie items not sold, will not be charged a fee:

For any product which will be given away for free, there is no licensing fee. Again, we do wish to be advised of all designs before they are manufactured.

I know Jo just recently had the Trademarked name transferred, but doesn't the above open him up for all kind of tax issues? Don't have a dog in the fight, but I don't think I would want that liability.

Wow what a scam here. The guy decides to trademark the name and he all the sudden gets a fee?

For any product which will be sold, such as geocoins and T-shirts, there is a $1 (one US dollar) licensing fee per unit manufactured. We would also like to see all designs before they are manufactured.

Wow what a scam here. The guy decides to trademark the name and he all the sudden gets a fee?

For any product which will be sold, such as geocoins and T-shirts, there is a $1 (one US dollar) licensing fee per unit manufactured. We would also like to see all designs before they are manufactured.

That is how licensing works.

I just filed a trademark on the word "GEOCOIN". Please do not use unless you pay me $1.00 per coin per transaction. :)

Yeah... Yeah.... That sounds like a good idea doesn't it? :P

BTW, while submitting my trademake I searched for GW and GWVI and there is no trademark relating to geo...opps almost said it "The Event that shall not be named" so Can I use that?

One other question... If I give coins away that say GeoWoodstoc- on them but charge $10 for shipping do I have to pay the fee?

Edited by Atwell Family

I just filed a trademark on the word "GEOCOIN". Please do not use unless you pay me $1.00 per coin per transaction. :D

Yeah... Yeah.... That sounds like a good idea doesn't it? :)

Actually....you could make a killing! :P

But I'm sure you do well with all those fabulous coins you are putting out already!

1. BooBoo will have her very first personal coin to trade. It will be a Trolley coin utilizing the image from her profile.
  2. BooBoo and I will colaberate on an all new personal. Concept to include Stars, Fairies and the Moon.
  3. My all new Lenticular Lens coin that will be a Face to Face trade only, limited quantities will be "handed" out!

So are you selling your collection or making more coins? Or both... :P

I just filed a trademark on the word "GEOCOIN". Please do not use unless you pay me $1.00 per coin per transaction. :D

But I'm sure you do well with all those fabulous coins you are putting out already!

Killing no. But it keeps the lights on.

Killing no. But it keeps the lights on.

I meant you could make a killing with the Geocoin trademark.

I don't think many of us who mints coins makes a killing. I know when I sell one edition, the money goes to the next one! :)

I know Jo just recently had the Trademarked name transferred, but doesn't the above open him up for all kind of tax issues? Don't have a dog in the fight, but I don't think I would want that liability.

I am pretty sure that the money is going to the GWVI committee for GWVI. That being said, I think the fee for people selling geocoins is reasonable as the money goes to support the event. We have done a few events and I know of others doing events where the cost to do the event was high for the number of people. If this helps the event breakeven, I am ok with it.

Once again, I dont think the fee covers items like those Damenace brought up, small, trade only items. Of course, the best way would be for some clarification.

As for taxes, I have my own taxes to do :).

I dont see it as a scam. From what I read, the $1.00/coin goes towards the event. Put on a large event and you will quickly see your costs go up and up. Those of us that attend rarely see the costs of those putting on an event.

I have NO problem with the $1.00 fee going towards the event. I think it is fair and provides a good balance.

How about traded but not sold?

I just filed a trademark on the word "GEOCOIN". Please do not use unless you pay me $1.00 per coin per transaction. :)

BTW, while submitting my trademake I searched for GW and GWVI and there is no trademark relating to geo...opps almost said it "The Event that shall not be named" so Can I use that?

Personally, I really hope you dont try to file a trademark for the word 'geocoin'. If you do, I am sure there are a few people who would make sure that trademark never happens. You are just wasting your money since the term "Geocoin" has been in use for many years now. You are just wasting your money.

As for GeoWoodstock, you can find it here:

Word Mark GEOWOODSTOCK

Goods and Services IC 041. US 100 101 107. G & S: (Based on Use in Commerce) Entertainment services, namely, participation in Geocaching. FIRST USE: 20030423. FIRST USE IN COMMERCE: 20030621

Standard Characters Claimed

Mark Drawing Code (4) STANDARD CHARACTER MARK

Serial Number 77282122

Filing Date September 18, 2007

Current Filing Basis 1A

Original Filing Basis 1A

Owner (APPLICANT) William J. Armstrong INDIVIDUAL UNITED STATES 9725 Clovercroft Road Nolensville TENNESSEE 37135

Type of Mark SERVICE MARK

Register PRINCIPAL

Live/Dead Indicator LIVE

---

For coins which are SOLD, esp those which are sold at the event, what is wrong with Giving $1.00 back? This goes to support the event which allows the seller to be there to sell. I think this is more fair than what happened last year where people who didnt donate anything were given free tables to sell their GW Coins while giving nothing additional to those who donated to the event. I even know of one vendor who donated and didnt even get a table to sell.

How about traded but not sold?

The way I read it, as long as the coin is not sold, there is no payment required. I assume if you were to trade 1/2 the coins and later sell the rest on ebay or the forums, you might get a note about having to cough up the money since you broke the 'spirit' of the agreement presented.

Two Notes:

1) I am not a lawyer

2) I am not involved anyway with the planning of the event. This just how I read it.

Edited by nielsenc

---

For coins which are SOLD, esp those which are sold at the event, what is wrong with Giving $1.00 back? This goes to support the event which allows the seller to be there to sell. I think this is more fair than what happened last year where people who didnt donate anything were given free tables to sell their GW Coins while giving nothing additional to those who donated to the event. I even know of one vendor who donated and didnt even get a table to sell.

I agree. Having been on a commitee that hosted a GW event. It takes a lot of money to feed all those folks and rent all those chairs. The event nearly doubles in size each year which makes the burden bigger each host.

The fee going to the Committee is a great idea. That is who should get it.

After this thread, I was thinking about a Geotag like this? Do you like the idea?

theeventthatshallnotbenamed.jpg

Might be ok, but this guy may not like you using his trademarked word GEOTAG :)

Word Mark GEOTAG

Goods and Services IC 042. US 100 101. G & S: Providing specific information as requested by customers via electronic communication devices and the Internet. FIRST USE: 20070402. FIRST USE IN COMMERCE: 20070402

Standard Characters Claimed

Mark Drawing Code (4) STANDARD CHARACTER MARK

Serial Number 77975037

Filing Date February 19, 2007

Current Filing Basis 1A

Original Filing Basis 1B

Published for Opposition October 9, 2007

Owner (APPLICANT) Geomas (International) Limited PRIVATE LIMITED COMPANY UNITED KINGDOM World Trade Centre, Via Lugano 11 6982 Lugano Agno SWITZERLAND

Attorney of Record Ernest W. Grumbles III

Type of Mark SERVICE MARK

Register PRINCIPAL

Live/Dead Indicator LIVE

So are you selling your collection or making more coins? Or both... :)

Both, :) ! I have another 29 hitting Thursday :lol: .