At the risk of being suspended for a few days!

AtwellFamily

One of my threads was just closed and I am a bit confused. I have sold more than 1/2 dozen coins on this forum. I have sold GeoTags on this forum (over 5000). And Now I am being shut down because I am not "an approved vendor". Where does it say you have to be an approved vendor to sell geocoins on this site?

I RE-read the guildlines and here is what I found:

This forum may be used for selling, trading or giving away of geocoins which are trackable on Geocaching.com. This includes any trackable coin produced by an individual, business or geocaching organization. Non-trackable coins may be posted for trade by individual coin owners. The proceeds from a permitted coin sale can be used for any purpose, such as personal profit, support of a geocaching organization, or to benefit a charitable cause.

It clearly states that any individual, bussiness or organization can sell, trade or give away geocoin.

I see nothing about an approved vendor list for qualifications. Is this something new that I and others should be aware of and how do we get on that list?

Thanks for your help.

Mike

My guess would be that it was the link to your commercial site in your post thats the problem.

"Commercial Postings/Solicitations are not allowed. Commercial content as a direct or indirect (either intentional or non-intentional) attempt to solicit customers through a forum post will be edited or deleted. Notwithstanding the above, Groundspeak reserves the right to include limited commercial content in this Forum, in its sole discretion."

Probably for the same reason that links to coin sales need to be direct links to the coin.

You can advertise a coin; but not the coin store.. I believe the closed thread was announcing that Geotags were making the leap from "individual coin project" (okay) to an item you can buy anytime from the store (advertising the store).

My guess would be that it was the link to your commercial site in your post thats the problem.

"Commercial Postings/Solicitations are not allowed. Commercial content as a direct or indirect (either intentional or non-intentional) attempt to solicit customers through a forum post will be edited or deleted. Notwithstanding the above, Groundspeak reserves the right to include limited commercial content in this Forum, in its sole discretion."

That is a pretty fine line if this is the case.

I didn't change the site much from the first 2 groups but now that it is an open listing I can't post? If I had said sales are open for another group then I would have been OK. That seems a bit strange. I didn't link to my home page or geocoin listing page but to the GeoTag page. Thought that was how you were suppose to do it.

BTW, where did you find that quote you posted?

From Earthas post:

"This website is not on the www.geocaching.com approved vendor list. Closing this topic until I ascertain that permission was given to post a link such as this in these forums."

It just sounds like she is getting clarity from TPTB. Most likely this will be opened up very soon once it is confirmed. Plus, since you are more a commercial vendor, why not ring Groundspeak and get on the list?

From Earthas post:

"This website is not on the www.geocaching.com approved vendor list. Closing this topic until I ascertain that permission was given to post a link such as this in these forums."

It just sounds like she is getting clarity from TPTB. Most likely this will be opened up very soon once it is confirmed. Plus, since you are more a commercial vendor, why not ring Groundspeak and get on the list?

I asked that question and here was the response:

You get approval from Groundspeak.

From this page:

"Business Inquiries

If you are interested in advertising with us, or have an idea for a promotion through Geocaching.com please read the information on the Advertising with Groundspeak page. We can provide location-based banner advertising, or creative promotions that engage the geocaching community."

See this link:

It's the same process to get on the geocoin approved vendor list. Contact Groundspeak.

Groundspeak Volunteer

That is why I commented about the advertising. I'll go down this path without the advertising and see what happens. But again, didn't think I had to get approval, been selling coins for 1 yr now.

Edited by Atwell Family

Selling Coins is one thing.

Advertising the company is another.

Had your orignal post sold a specific trackable tag/coin. There would have been no question. When you moved to the generic service of selling a tag, then there was a question.

While you may not like what Eartha did, I have to kive her kudos for saying what she did and why. Now we all know the scoop. Much better than no information at all.

Selling Coins is one thing.

Advertising the company is another.

Had your orignal post sold a specific trackable tag/coin. There would have been no question. When you moved to the generic service of selling a tag, then there was a question.

While you may not like what Eartha did, I have to kive her kudos for saying what she did and why. Now we all know the scoop. Much better than no information at all.

Still confused...

1. I sold these same things before and not shut down. Not a specific tag/coin but an idea.

2. Why wasn't this shut down? http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...=170003&hl=

edited for: I figured #2 out...they are on the approved (advertising) vendor list

Edited by Atwell Family

The thread you opened was a general thread, it was not to one coin/tag in particular. If you wish to open a general thread like that, you need permission from Groundspeak. I sent it to them to ask. I PM'd you as well. I am waiting for a reply from Groundpseak as to whether it is allowed or not. Since that website is not on the approved vendor list, I have to ask first. So the thread is closed until I get a reply. As of this post, I have not gotten a reply, but it hasn't been very long since I sent them an email.

Eartha

Groundspeak Volunteer

A little more clarification, as I understand the policy>

If you put a link to a general page like my store, it or the thread would be closed because I sell occassional non trackable coins or other items, like pins. If I had a link to a store where the only thing being sold was trackable items, the guidelines would allow that.

My understanding. . . .

Edited for a bit more. If you have a general website selling only trackables, it does not give you a license to then to flood the forums with posts to that general site:

Allowed:

Acme stores now has a new watch geocoin available at www.thegeneralstorepage.org

Not Allowed:

We have lots of really great coins available at www.thegeneralstorepage.org

Edited by WWC-World's Worst Cacher

A little more clarification, as I understand the policy>

If you put a link to a general page like my store, it or the thread would be closed because I sell occassional non trackable coins or other items, like pins. If I had a link to a store where the only thing being sold was trackable items, the guidelines would allow that.

My understanding. . . .

Edited for a bit more. If you have a general website selling only trackables, it does not give you a license to then to flood the forums with posts to that general site:

Allowed:

Acme stores now has a new watch geocoin available at www.thegeneralstorepage.org

Not Allowed:

We have lots of really great coins available at www.thegeneralstorepage.org

I'm not sure this is correct either. Earlier on when I only sold trackable items and Groundspeak items only I was still not allowed to post a direct store link. Only a link to the individual coin being sold.

I'm not sure this is correct either. Earlier on when I only sold trackable items and Groundspeak items only I was still not allowed to post a direct store link. Only a link to the individual coin being sold.

Correct. As the guidelines stand currently, you must link directly to a coin sale page, not a general store page.

Is that not what I have done? Or because you can personalize then it is not a direct link? What about all the group activities where they get to personalize items. Why was i allowed to do it the first 2 times. The inconsistancy is what is confusing me.

some can...some can't, some times...some times not?

I would suggest waiting to hear back with Eartha as that's who you've been dealing with.

Had I been around, the same thing would have happened.

It's been explained earlier in this thread - the main difference is having a group design done (i.e. a specific coin) versus posting that geotags are "new and improved" - come buy some.

There is a world of difference.

At this point - there's nothing left to say until Eartha contacts you again or posts here.

Correct. As the guidelines stand currently, you must link directly to a coin sale page, not a general store page.

Is that not what I have done? Or because you can personalize then it is not a direct link? What about all the group activities where they get to personalize items. Why was i allowed to do it the first 2 times. The inconsistancy is what is confusing me.

some can...some can't, some times...some times not?

Eartha's just running it by her bosses, that's all. GC's rules are designed to avoid solicitation for a general product line which contains multiple "potential" products. Technically, you need customers to "finish" the product by customizing it, so that might be the issue. It seems that you are kind of inbetween the posted rules, and they just want to run it through airport security. Capiche?

I think the difference is that you were a cacher making a shared coin (tag) but now you've decided to make it an open commercial venture and posted a link to your site. It looks like some other coin production threads have crossed the line before, but yours is the one that's raised TPTB's eyebrows.

Ideas:

1. If you will sell Groundspeak items on your site, Groundspeak offers a free link to your store from their page with the list of approved retailers.

2. As a business producing personal coins we choose to advertise with Groundspeak via a per-per-click ad. Perhaps you could explore that option and then you'd be advertising to geocachers inside and also outside the geocoin forums. There's a whole big world of consumers out there!

There's a reason you don't see all the approved coin production companies/vendors here with general coin production ads... we'd be here all day getting free advertising if it was allowed! :mad: FSM/Eartha... last sentence made in jest, no worries about us increasing your workload!

Well, I made it to the approved supplier list without the advertising piece.

Hi Mike,

You have now been added to the approved vendor list. I added you to the list in my forum post and you've also added to the list here:

Note, you do not need to purchase advertising to become an approved vendor. Of course, that might be a good way to promote the sales of geotags.

Still working on the other thread. At this time I am on the wrong side somehow (this time but not the other times I sold Geotags and not the other thread I mentioned about someone else selling similar products) of the very thin line.