geo-cache video

1francie

http://www.exploreasheville.com/geocaching...ideo/index.aspx

I want to watch this video but it doesn't work .........does it work for you?

Works fine for me. Did you hit the play button in the middle of the screen?

yep, I did and it said 'loading' but after 2 min of waiting I decided it wasn't going to work....

is there some kind of program I need to get it going?

Nope. What's your Internet speed? What browser are you using?

Worked fine. Can't believe all the caches he's hidden though. 901 caches...... Wow! I've had a very hard time just finding enough places to hide 20 caches. :sad:

Lots of countries and states to maintain all those caches in.....

But who am I to second guess the reviewers? ;)

#2 for caches hidden.

Who is number 1? :lol:

And who is number 1 for most archived? :D

I would really like to know how someone can realistically maintain 900+ caches?

Are you implying he can't? ...he doesn't?

Might want to peruse his listings before making comments with nothing to back it up. Looks like he's more responsive to cache issues than folks with only a few listings.

Now, back on topic. I was able to get the video to work no problem. Pretty cool that an Asheville tourism site is using geocaching as a draw. It's beautiful country all up in western NC. It's our favorite caching area.

Worked fine. Can't believe all the caches he's hidden though. 901 caches...... Wow! I've had a very hard time just finding enough places to hide 20 caches. :D

But who am I to second guess the reviewers? :)

#2 for caches hidden.

Who is number 1? :D

King Boreas is #1 (from my area)...and he does a good job maintaining them

Edited by new_dharma

Worked fine. Can't believe all the caches he's hidden though. 901 caches...... Wow! I've had a very hard time just finding enough places to hide 20 caches. :D

But who am I to second guess the reviewers? :D

#2 for caches hidden.

Who is number 1? :D

Nice video by Ozguff. No. 1 in the world? King Boreas of course. :)

http://www.exploreasheville.com/geocaching...ideo/index.aspx

I want to watch this video but it doesn't work .........does it work for you?

Works fine for me. Did you hit the play button in the middle of the screen?

yep, I did and it said 'loading' but after 2 min of waiting I decided it wasn't going to work....

is there some kind of program I need to get it going?

Nope. What's your Internet speed? What browser are you using?

speed is fast connection,. browser is Firefox and IE,

anyway, thanx for your trying to help but I will wait on my son to come over and help out his poor mama!

Worked fine for me. I'll second that the Asheville area is a great place to go caching, and it's great that the local Visitor's Bureau has recognized the value of Geo-Tourism.

I just hope I can find the time to make a trip out there this fall.

I can also vouch for Ozguff's ability and desire to maintain all of those caches. I've found a few myself, have cached with the man and his daughter(mentioned in the video), and sat down for a few cold ones at the end of the cacheing day too. And then gone out for a few more laughs and finds.

I just don't understand how he finds the time to show up at work enough without losing his job!

Interesting comment from a cacher with only ONE hide...

We have around 60 caches placed and i can easily say that they are a handful to keep up with. Elminster asked a question which is proper in these forums. To me, it's easy to see how he, no matter what his find or hide count is, might be curious about this. While i probably wouldn't ask publicly, i'll be honest and say that i too am curious to know what some of the secrets are for being able to maintain that many caches. Certainly not saying it can't be done but i would think it's a feat that most of us wouldn't be able to accomplish!

On topic, Nice video that plays fine even with the AOL browser... :)

On topic: Works fine for me. (And I am using Firefox 2.0.0.7.)

Slightly off-topic: The Asheville Tourism folks shot the video in the hopes that geocachers would be drawn to Asheville and western NC in order to geocache (and maybe spend some money there). They contacted me as I was a local geocacher with a decent number of finds and a decent number of hides.

Slightly more off-topic: I like to find caches and I like to hide caches. I work as a financial advisor for a large, international firm, but my office is more like a sole proprietorship. What that means is that I can work the hours I want to, and if I work hard for a few days I can then take a few days off to cache.

Possibly even further off-topic: I am reasonably scrupulous with cache maintenance, and try to keep all of my caches in good condition. Of my 901 current hides eight are currently either disabled or have a Needs Maintenance icon. Of those eight, a couple may be missing and a couple are missing (and I just haven't made the effort to replace them yet).

Way more off-topic: But what I can't understand is how someone can keep track of over 1500 hides?!?!? 900 cache hides is manageable but 1500 is loco!!! :)

I'll go the nice way and actually answer your question.

OzGuff does travel a lot for business, taking him near where his caches are placed. He also uses a local cacher to maintain when he can't. There is a couple of his in the St. Louis area and one is listed as maintained by someone else.

I'm sorry some of you took my question the wrong way. I didn't mean to suggest he couldn't do it, if he has them obviously he can.

I'm still very new to this game, and just found the idea of someone one owing so many caches to be amazing. I really was interested in the answer and again apologize to OzGuff (et al) for any misunderstanding. :wacko:

901 caches great work man. I can't even see the day when I get to 900 caches found. :laughing:

It worked fine for me with Firefox 2.0.0.7 -- it started up about 8 or 10 seconds after I clicked on the "play" arrow.

Nice video -- I especially liked the part where he points to the surroundings as he walks along and says "This is a nice place to be... You got flowers, you got water -- who wouldn't want to come to a place like this?" :laughing: (It seems that all too frequently, caching videos show people walking along with eyes glued to the GPS screen, oblivious to their surroundings.)

My previous mental image of OzGuff was all wrong, though -- I assumed he'd have an Australian accent.

I wasn't bent out of shape about anyone questioning my ability to monitor 900 caches. (In fact, it is easier than that as only 700 or so are currently active. But I place new ones faster than I archive old/missing ones...) With the number of caches I find (while in cache-find mode) that are in need of maintenance I can understand other cachers wondering how someone with lots of hides might have a problem keeping up with them.

And as for my accent -- I was born Down Under but have lived there only 12 of my 43 years. I still had an Aussie accent while attending the University of Illinois, but once I had my green card it was no longer necessary. :D