Planning on buying Magellan explorist 500 LE

shootingstar7

I'm planning on buying the Magellan explorist 500 LE http://www.offroute.com/product/view_produ...&fromfind=1 on offroute.com and I want to know what the experts here think about this GPS.

I also would like to know:

-I live in Puerto Rico and I'll probably move to Hawaii in 1-2 years. Would the maps included bring Puerto Rico and Hawaii?? Do I have to buy additional maps ?? How about activation fees etc etc?

- how do I charge the Li-Ion battery pack http://www.offroute.com/product/view_produ...&fromfind=1, can I do it through USB?

Monica :laughing:

Shootingstar7

The included maps will have very minmal detail - you must purchase spearate mapping software to see much of anything.

Some folks I know swear by this unit - but I also know several that swear at it.

I generally recommend units from Garmin. For a roughly equivalent unit - make take a look at the Garmin Venture Cx.

It's an OK unit but I'd personally get the equivalent Garmin (Venture CX or Legend HCX). All things being equal with the units themselves, Garmin's rep for customer service is quite good, while Magellan's rep ranges from poor to abysmal.

No, there are no activation fees, etc... with any GPS unit.

You'll probably find the maps that come with the unit very lacking (whether you buy Garmin, Magellan or another brand) and want to buy detailed maps. I'm not sure about coverage of PR, but HI is covered with the Garmin software and I assume Magellan as well.

I have this unit and I love it. I've had no problems with it whatsoever. I've been caching with a friend who was using a Garmin and her unit would frequently lose sat. signal while under some tree cover while mine would still be receiving a fairly strong signal.

I have dealt with Magellan's customer service in the past on a different GPSr I have, and they were friendly and helpful and the problem was fixed very quickly.

It's like anything else, a few people can have a negative experience with something and it colors their opinion.

For what it's worth, I would highly recommend this GPSr.

I have the unit the batteries charge through USB, however much more slowly. It is not an extremely intuitive unit from the cache download perspective. In fact it is so difficult that you must be a Mensa member to do it at all--thus eliminating most of the market. Nice display, reliable thus far. Compact design. But if I were looking at this very moment I would check out the Brunton's and the Delormes with the aerial photo/satelit photo capability, one can not exceed one's desires for bells and whistles.

I have it, and I love it....when it's willing to work with me.

Awhile back it decided it didn't like satellites. Wasn't gonna deal with them anymore. It wouldn't listen to me when I told it that satellites were its sole purpose for living, just kept insisting that they weren't its thing anymore. Until my boyfriend acquired the EU version of the firmware and gave it a lobotomy. Now it works like a dream again. Only problem was it had the EU maps so it said I was in the Atlantic Ocean all the time, but now I have maps again.

The maps are minimal but I don't use it for navigation. They show highways and major routes which is more than sufficient for me. If you need it for navigation they sell better maps. The battery charges through usb or you can buy a separate charger that plugs into the same cable. It lasts a long time if you keep the screen light on low. And always (nowadays) leads me in a straight line for the cache when the bf is going in circles with his. It's great. One major problem though, is I don't think you can enter coordinates from the unit only a computer; so multi's are out. maybe you can, but it's not obvious and I tend to be lazy if somethings not obvious (we use the bfs unit for multis). Also, I'll echo what was already said about Magellans customer service. To say that it sucks is being incredibly nice. I went around in circles with someone in another country who had no idea what I was asking for half an hour or so before flinging the phone at the wall. Basically, with any issues, you're on your own.

Good luck with the decision

One major problem though, is I don't think you can enter coordinates from the unit only a computer; so multi's are out.

Actually the ease of hand entry of coordinates is one of Magellan's strong suits. Just push down on the "mark" button to create a point for where ever you are, then use the joystick to modify the coordinates to what ever you need.

Battery life is good. The recharge through the usb is slow. The unit comes with a car charger connection and a block for charging from an outlet. Or mine did.

Once you get used it, the file management is quite a nice feature. I expect I'll miss it when ever I replace this unit, assuming it's not available on the next unit I buy. YOu can have both a POI file and a geocache file active at once. I have all my hides in as geocaches, so they always show up on maps and then use a POI file for caches I'm hunting. I use GSAK to create those POI files so they contain as much info as the standard geocache file that the magellan software would create for you.

You CANNOT download .loc or .gpx files directly to the unit. I accepts it's own proprietary file format only.

Customer service is poor.

The base map likely has main roads for Hawaii. I don't know about PR, but would doubt it. You'll have to buy maps with any unit if you want more than base main highways. The TOPO map for this unit is first rate - it has the USGS topos and the road grid as well. Very nice. You don't get the address info with the TOPO map that you would with the street maps, but that's no loss to me.

Edited by Isonzo Karst
One major problem though, is I don't think you can enter coordinates from the unit only a computer; so multi's are out.

Actually the ease of hand entry of coordinates is one of Magellan's strong suits. Just push down on the "mark" button to create a point for where ever you are, then use the joystick to modify the coordinates to what ever you need.

I never tried to modify a POI I created! I feel kind of silly now. Thanks so much!! :D

I have the 500LE and it is a good unit. I am however going to be taking it back and picking up the Garmin Vista HCX. The only reason that I am doing this is that with the way the Canadian dollar has been going, I have much more buying power and can pick up the vista for less than I paid for the 500LE.

Things I like about the 500LE:

1- large screen

2- easy navigation buttons

3- system used for storing cache information

4- bundled geocaching software - makes it easy to import from geocaching.com

Things I don't like:

1- the batteries drain VERY fast if the light is on.

2- the cable connection on the unit is a bit of a pain.

3- not waterproof - I would like to take this boating with me, but can't afford to.

3- Does not have the trip computer like the garmin. I found this to be a fun, and useful tool.

I am looking forward to my Vista, but not looking forward to the button configuration. To me it seems that the garmins are designed for left handed people.

Hope some/any of this is helpful.

I have this unit and I love it. I've had no problems with it whatsoever. I've been caching with a friend who was using a Garmin and her unit would frequently lose sat. signal while under some tree cover while mine would still be receiving a fairly strong signal.

I've never used a Magellan, and I don't know anybody that has one (we're all Garmin fans here!), so I can't judge that. I will say, however, that my original GPS (Garmin eTrex) didn't like trees all that much. But once I upgraded recently (to the 76CSx - no middle ground for me!), I haven't had a problem with trees at all. As long as you have a high sensivity reciever, you'll not have a problem.

Things I don't like:

3- not waterproof - I would like to take this boating with me, but can't afford to.

I am looking forward to my Vista, but not looking forward to the button configuration. To me it seems that the garmins are designed for left handed people.

Hope some/any of this is helpful.

It's about time somebody took care of us Lefties!

I can't imagine not having a waterproof unit. I've been caught out in the woods in the rain, dropped my receiver in the snow, puddles, etc. For the money you end up spending on a GPSr, I'd really hate to brick it by getting it wet.

I have the 500LE and it is a good unit. I am however going to be taking it back and picking up the Garmin Vista HCX.

pure, unadulterated BS. The maggies have the same IPX-7 waterproofing rating as the garmins.

IIt is not an extremely intuitive unit from the cache download perspective. In fact it is so difficult that you must be a Mensa member to do it at all--thus eliminating most of the market.

hmmm, never knew I was a mensa member...

My standard 'procedure' for loading my eXplorist.

1] do a pocket query

2] PQ sent to my e-mail account

3] With the e-mail showing on a reduced window, I simply double-click on the attached PQ, and a program called WinZip opens the zipped file, and shows me whats inside the file.

4] I click on and drag the main gpx file to my desktop.

5] I rename the numbered gpx file to something that makes sense to me, like Home.gpx, or route.gpx, or Lexington.gpx

6] I open GSAK and drop the .gpx file in there to update my database, and to send the caches to my palm for paperless caching.

7] I attach my eXplorist to the computer and turn it on, I make sure it is in data transfer mode, then go into the geocache folders on the SD card and delete the old .gs (eXplorist geocaching) files and any .fnd (found) files in there.

8] Open geocache manager program

9] hit the new file icon (white sheet of paper) to clear out any old cache data.

10] hit the open file icon (folder, next to the new file icon).

11] move the search to my desktop (where I saved the .gpx files) and double click on the .gpx I want to load.

12] Hit the save to eXplorist button (looks like a satellite) and since I renamed it Home.gpx, it will save it to the eXplorist SD card as Home.gs.

13]repeat 9-12 until all of my .gpx files are laoded.

Oh, and I limit all of my .gpx Pocket queries to a maximum of 190 caches.

Oh my . . . that sure looks like a lot of work. To load my Garmin GPSr, there are fewer steps.

• Request new 500-cache PQ/PQs
  • Receive the PQ/PQs and open them in GSAK
  • Filter the GSAK database to fit my destination for the day
  • Turn on the GPSr connected to the computer and click the "Send to GPS" option in GSAK
  • Disconnect the GPSr from the computer and go caching

Oh my . . . that sure looks like a lot of work. To load my Garmin GPSr, there are fewer steps.

• Turn on the GPSr connected to the computer and click the "Send to GPS" option in GSAK

My daughter has an eXplorist 500 and really likes it. When loading her GPSr I basically do the same steps as you (Jhwk went into greater detail - their steps 2-6 was basically the same as your step #2). The steps I take are:

• Request new 500-cache PQ/PQs (she is a premium member - not loading one of my PQ's)
  • Filter the GSAK database to fit our destination for the day
  • Put GPSr SD card in the computer slot and click the "Export to Magellan eXplorist" button, save on card with meaningful name. Repeat last two steps for multiple geocache files
  • Insert the SD card into the GPSr and go caching

How do you save multiple geocache files on your GPSr? Or are you limited to whatever your unit can hold in memory and need to reconnect to the computer to load caches for a different area?

How do you save multiple geocache files on your GPSr? Or are you limited to whatever your unit can hold in memory and need to reconnect to the computer to load caches for a different area?

The Garmin Vista HCx holds 1000 waypoints. Because this is such a cache-rich area, I have three main databases in GSAK, so if I am covering a wide area around here, I use the Arc/Poly filter in each of the databases to get caches I am likely to be near.

Although I haven't used it yet, Garmin's POI loader allows the loading of thousands of Geocache waypoints onto the memory card as POIs. Using the "Caches Along A Route" Premium feature, GSAK, and the POI loader, someone could go on a long trip with just their GPSr and PDA loaded with the cache data.

I'm curious. If the software and hardware components supported it, would you load 2,000 caches? More? :blink:;):huh:

Actually they are designed for right handed people. The idea is to use the unit with your left hand to keep your right hand free for other things like writing, using a hiking stick, eating, etc...

I have the 500LE and it is a good unit. I am however going to be taking it back and picking up the Garmin Vista HCX.

pure, unadulterated BS. The maggies have the same IPX-7 waterproofing rating as the garmins.

From what I have read, and what the documentation that came with my 500LE is that it is "water resistant". I may be wrong here, but to me that would indicate that it would not survive a dunk in water, but could handle rain or splashes. Please correct me if I am wrong.

marc

I'm curious. If the software and hardware components supported it, would you load 2,000 caches? More? :blink::);)

Sure . . . if I were taking a weekend trip from my home up to Palm Springs and back a different route, having 2000 caches in my GPSr might not be enough, especially if I varied from my original "Caches Along a Route" route . . . :huh:

Okay, the only product I can choose is a Garmin because Magellan doesn't include ANY maps with Puerto Rico in it. So I'll start by looking at mapping software and then units lol

so please can someone tell me which mapping software includes Puerto Rico and Hawaii?? what is the best software for geocaching? Can the City Navigator be used for geocaching ?

City Navigator includes Hawaii. Even my older Topo maps have Hawaii. Not sure about Puerto Rico . . . :blink: The auto-routing City Navigator maps are useful for me when I am in unfamiliar areas.

The best software for Geocaching, IMHO, is first, a Premium Membership, then GSAK (Geocaching Swiss Army Knife) for your PC, and Cachemate for your PDA. If you don't already have a PDA, an inexpensive, older Palm works great for "paperless" caching. :huh:

3- Does not have the trip computer like the garmin. I found this to be a fun, and useful tool.

I'm not familiar with this; could someone explain what this feature is please? Thanks!

It also keeps stats on top speed reached, and max elevation, for a trip. This is not a critical function, but I like to use it on drives through the mountains, as it is fun to look at these stats. Really just one more thing I like about the Gramin products.

Never had any problems loading anything into our Magellan. I call bs on the 'my list of loading is shorter' bit.

I download the info from GC.com, load on GSAK, and push the load to Magellan button and bang I'm good to go. Reliability? Still have my GPS 315 and it works great. I don't do 2,000 caches a weekend so immediate availability isn't an issue.

You do need to go with whom has the maps you're looking for. That I can agree.

The Trip Computer can be Reset prior to starting out on a trip, or a hike, so you can see how far you have traveled. I often forget to Reset it, but when you remember, it is handy to refer to while on the trail.

In that case, the magellans do it too. From any screen that shows the odometer, click menu and you can reset the odometer.

I have this quaint oldfashioned idea that I want to know the caches I put on the gps are ones I want to find.

1) Use google earth to find one cache in an area I'm visiting. Then look at it in "geocaching googlemaps."

2) if that one or any nearby ones look interesting, put them in a bookmark list.

3) When I'm done, PQ the bookmark list,open the email and save it on my desktop.

4) open geocache manager (already on my desktop) and drag and drop the PQ

5) send it to the gps, which takes about 1.4 seconds.

Later I will delete found caches from the bookmark list, which is easier than doing it in geocache manager. If I want to add more to the same list, I just put them on there, then the next time I transfer the PQ to the gps, it will just override and automatically take out the (deleted) found ones. I have grown to appreciate the "found" list on the gps. Recently I found 14 caches in 3 states in the same day and when I went to log them, i just clicked "found caches" on the maggie and there was my caching day in order and even timestamped.