More FTF Debate

OK, I have decided that from now on, when I'm FTF, I am waiting to log my find online until someone else has logged a find, and here's why:

Quite frankly, the FTF races aren't that fun if no one else is racing to get them. Not only that, but I think that most people in my area, once they see a log, delay chasing the new caches. So, in order to get a few of them out a little faster, I think that from now on, I will not log until I see another log.

The only exception to this will be if it is a rather remote one, but I don't chase most of those anyhow.

Go ahead and tell me what an (jerk {edited by moderator}) you think I am and all that stuff. But this is my story, and I'm sticking to it.

I have one that came out about 5 hours ago. I found it 2 hours later, and still no other logs. I'm sitting on it.

Edited by mtn-man

OK, I have decided that from now on, when I'm FTF, I am waiting to log my find online until someone else has logged a find, and here's why:

Quite frankly, the FTF races aren't that fun if no one else is racing to get them. Not only that, but I think that most people in my area, once they see a log, delay chasing the new caches. So, in order to get a few of them out a little faster, I think that from now on, I will not log until I see another log.

I would think that such behavior would *discourage" other people from racing to be FTF, exactly the opposite result that you claim to want.

I'd rather people find caches because they want to find them, not because they're rushing to be ftf. That just doesn't make any sense at all. Live your life for yourself, and let others take care of themselves. Stop playing games.

I agree. Cache because you want to and enjoy it, not for the FTFs , all the stats, etc. I suspect that a lot of the FTF fever is testosterone driven.

Maybe start leaving something nice for the STF when you're FTF on a cache. That may encourage others to go after a cache even after it was FTFed, and it's better than deception, in my opinion.

Edit: spelling

Edited by Mr. 0

I'd rather people find caches because they want to find them, not because they're rushing to be ftf. That just doesn't make any sense at all. Live your life for yourself, and let others take care of themselves. Stop playing games.

:blink::ph34r::D:ph34r:

But ... but ... but caching is a game!

:ph34r::lol::lol::D

:D:lol::D:D

I've never really delayed a posting for the purposes the OP states, but there have been times I haven't rushed home to log the FTF.

Maybe start leaving something nice for the STF when you're FTF on a cache. That may encourage others to go after a cache even after it was FTFed, and it's better than deception, in my opinion.

Delaying logging your FTF is not going to go over very well with your fellow cachers, but Mr. 0 has an excellent suggestion. We were recently STF on a cache where the FTF left $20, and what a lovely surprise that was. We've decided to do this once in a while, although probably $5 or $10, not $20. If we did it every time then there would be no one going for FTF, but there'd be a stampede for STF for the money :ph34r:.

It sounds like you feel guilty about being FTF. They may be so many FTF hounds in your area that when one of you finds a cache the rest stop looking for it. And you feel guilty when you are FTF because then no one else will visit the cache. If this is the case, then you should stop trying to be FTF. Let the FTF hounds fight out who gets to find the cache first. Then you can go log the cache. Start a new movement of people who will look for caches only after someone else has found them. :ph34r:

it's just rude.

when people stopped racing to FTFs because i was always first, i stopped doing them. gave other people a

chance.

it is unsporting, dishonest and grossly discourteous to do what you intend.

Edited by mtn-man

Since the primary object of geocaching is to find geocaches, and not to comfort "possible FTFers," I log when I have time.

On several occasions, I was FTF on caches very early in the morning, but didn't log my find until the next day. I'm sure some will scowl because they didn't get FTF, but I had a good reason:

I was too busy having fun finding other geocaches and I didn't get home until late at night. I logged my FTF the next day along with all of my other finds. I'm not worried about how other cachers feel because they missed FTF.

Edited by Kit Fox

Since the primary object of geocaching is to find geocaches, and not to comfort "possible FTFers," I log when I have time.

On several occasions, I was FTF on caches very early in the morning, but didn't log my find until the next day. I'm sure some will scowl because they didn't get FTF, but I had a good reason:

I was too busy having fun finding other geocaches and I didn't get home until late at night. I logged my FTF the next day along with all of my other finds. I'm not worried about how other cachers feel because they missed FTF.

I think most of us are all doing it that way. But to intentionally not log it when you can and wait for another log. That is a different matter.

The only exception to this will be if it is a rather remote one, but I don't chase most of those anyhow.

Go ahead and tell me what an a-hole you think I am and all that stuff. But this is my story, and I'm sticking to it.

I have one that came out about 5 hours ago. I found it 2 hours later, and still no other logs. I'm sitting on it.

Yeah. That's sure to win you friends. NOT! I have a friend who, like me, is into being FTF. I know he just loves it when he gets up early, travels 25 miles, finds the cache, and then sees it was found the previous evening but not logged yet. Oh, yeah. That really makes him happy.

I fully understand that, sometimes, it's just not possible to log the find in a timely manner. Sometimes you are on your way out of town or you just started your caching day and won't be logging anything at all until evening rolls around. However, if you get the FTF and then deliberately leave the cache unlogged so that it appears to be available as a FTF I think you are being a bit of a butthead. Most folks don't care about being FTF but, for those who are willing to put out the extra effort to be FTF, it seems pretty nasty to screw with them.

I'm just glad you don't live in my area.

I'm not a big FTF hound, but there are some around here who are.

I know they would take a VERY dim view of this behavior.

Why drive up the angst level for no good reason?

Too bad he lives in our area :ph34r:

You have brought this same topic up at least once before and all it did then was cause angst, mainly towards your practice. I'm not even going to go there in this thread but i will throw something else out that you might want to think about.

You said that "FTF races aren't that fun if no one else is racing to get them". I agree with you wholeheartedly but what you are doing isn't going to help bring more FTF competition. In fact, purposely delaying logging is probably only going to take away some of the fun competition. I'm sure that some would simply quit going for FTFs when they know a cache is several hours or days old, realizing that there is a chance that you already got it but also knowing that you don't log in a timely manner.

Totally acceptable. Things like this happen with us as well but the OP is purposely doing this.

when people stopped racing to FTFs because i was always first, i stopped doing them. gave other people a

chance.

Yes it is a nice gesture but to me, it takes away from the competition. Being FTF isn't the grandest thing on earth but when i do go for it, i do want to earn it. It certainly wouldn't be any fun if someone gave it to me! :ph34r:

I think you have geography working against you for lively FTF races. Other cachers who live on the Peninsula are pretty far flung, so if they have a regular job, kids in school, making a 25-50 mile roundtrip to chase a cache takes a lot of effort.

I used to be a "Northroader" on Cabin Lake. I worked out there, too. If geocaching was up and going when I lived out there, I would not have routinely dashed into Kenai (13 miles away), Soldotna (20 miles away), or Sterling and Kasilof (even further away) just to FTF a single cache. Time and gas would not have been on my side. The FTF not logging the cache would not make me hurry a long ways to get one, so your not logging your FTF on a timely basis wouldn't make a difference. Frankly, if I was on the Peninsula and I knew someone was delaying logging their FTFs, once I figured out the pattern, I'd be even more reticent to chase the FTF, which would be just the opposite effect you seem to hope to achieve.

I'm just glad you don't live in my area.

I'm not a big FTF hound, but there are some around here who are.

I know they would take a VERY dim view of this behavior.

Why drive up the angst level for no good reason?

Too bad he lives in our area :ph34r:

Go be FTF but sign the log in UV ink so he thinks he's FTF signs on top of your log, and then doesn't log online. Then when you see he's loged in the cache log, log online and brag about your FTf, then when he claims the real FTF ....

It sounds like you feel guilty about being FTF. They may be so many FTF hounds in your area that when one of you finds a cache the rest stop looking for it. And you feel guilty when you are FTF because then no one else will visit the cache. If this is the case, then you should stop trying to be FTF. Let the FTF hounds fight out who gets to find the cache first. Then you can go log the cache. Start a new movement of people who will look for caches only after someone else has found them. :ph34r:

Guilty?? Hardly. I'm one of the hounds. And I'll never intentionally wait for someone else to find if I have a shot at it.

I have presonally witnessed a couple local cachers race after FTF, and when they talked to me and found out I already got it. Turned around and went home rather than go get the cache. I thought that was a bit childish, but its thier perogotive I guess. To each their own.

I do understand the reasoning a bit, but wouldn't do it mainly since I would rather just log and be done with it. Makes no diff to me one way or the other why folks do or don't rush after a cache.

Theres been a couple times that I got a FTF and kept on caching for several hours. So it would be as if I withheld logging right? Only I didn't do it for any reason other than I wasn't home to log yet. I certainly hope no one felt burned by that. I was just doing my thing, caching. :ph34r:

I've not intentionally waited to log a FTF on a cache late but have done so in the natural course of events. The couple of times it's happened the STF just mentioned that I was first and hadn't logged it yet. On the other hand if they wanted to make a big deal about it that's their problem- I'm not going to change the way I log just to satisfy their FTF lust. In the end I'd say log 'em as you normally do.

So the entire problem is that it's hard to gloat without an audience?

bingo.

sometimes you don't get to log right away. sometimes it just doesn't work out.

it is simply boorish to wait on declaring yourself the winner of a race until the next finisher tries.

what you don't seem to get or want to get is that by withholding your log, you are not prolonging the race. if the race was actually still going on, suspense would be exciting. unfortunately, this race has been over for a while and you are simply too rude and too childish to let people know. what you are doing is not creating suspense; you are waiting for someone to come and be disappointed and that's an attitude that just sucks.

just rhetorically: when you were a kid, did you like to pull wings off of flies?

since this is at least the second thread you have started on this very topic, i can only assume that you wish for people to know that you are petty, childish, and that your prime entertainment is causing or seeing the disappoinment of others.

if i lived in your area, my prime amusement would now be starting a campaign in which all the local cachers publish caches that have not been placed yet and making the true placement time available to a mailing list that includes everybody but you. if i had MY way, no cache in your local area would actually be placed until you had logged a DNF.

Oh, oh, FIRST COURSE of JUSTICE is being served~!

I was in Alaska once years ago on a fishing trip so thought I might try to track down where this guy might be and came across the cache he refers to. Pretty easy just calling up NEW caches in the state.

>>>>LINK>>>>Man In Stripes Scam Cache

LOOKS LIKE SOMEONE IS ALREADY ON THE CASE. Hohoho I wonder how the local caching folks are going to look upon this guy now. HEY, he posted his opinion and tactic on THIS forum for the entire world to see. So now his entire Alaska caching world will see what he is up to when they go to a new cache page and see that.

My hat is off to Geoenforcer. WTG. I agree STF or 4thTF or even a mystery xTF that is notified by email that they are the "winner" of that cache's prize (to find it stashed at xx coords or it could be mailed if they were passing thru) would be encouraging to other cachers to not worry about a FTF and just play the game and maybe get rewarded. Kinda like the 10th caller getting the free Concert Tickets to the Rolling Stones in Sydney, AU. And the Cache Owner can always DELETE his FTF log and banish him from logging the cache. That is totally within a cache owner's capabilities and ethics in maintaining the best game in town so to speak. In fact every cache owner publishing a NEW CACHE should make it plainly clear that failure to log FTF within 6 hours of discovery will result in a deletion of the log when it appears. Nothing wrong with setting the RULES OF THE GAME as all cache requirements do in one way or the other. That is what makes Geocaching a growing sport....it is evolving as new innovations....or workarounds are discovered to eliminate abuse.

As a final thought, based on ManInStripes' profile, he is nothing but a geo-leech. He has NEVER placed a single cache to allow others to enjoy the game and a chance at FTFs too. He thinks God invented Geocaching for only him and he gives NOTHING back to the game, the geo-community, or the reputation Geocaching is trying to establish worldwide. Too bad tar and feathers have gone out of style!

Just my 2 cents from a desert rat.

Edited by Coyote Ugly

In fact every cache owner publishing a NEW CACHE should make it plainly clear that failure to log FTF with 6 hours of discovery will result in a deletion of the log when it appears.

As a final thought, based on ManInStripes' profile, he is nothing but a geo-leech. He has NEVER placed a single cache to allow others to enjoy the game and a chance at FTFs too.

i have to disagree here. it is unusual for me to return home within six hours of a morning FTF; sometimes i get a FTF and then don't return home for days. does that make my find less legitimate?

we can't be denying people legitimate finds on the basis of the fact that we despise them.

as for the charge of geo-leech, there is no requirement to hide caches. i don't hide them out of social responsibility but rather from pleasure. my mom has never hidden a cache, but she still likes to go out and find one every now and again.

is she a leech?

my mom is likely to leave expensive little trinkets in a cache. she loves to imagine people's happy surprise.

thsi guy not only thrives on people's unhappy surprise, but he wants everyone to know about it. he is a certifiable lewisclan.

Edited by flask

ooh, ooh, wait! everone in his area should log false finds before they go out! then he'd log his greedy killjoy FTF and everyone could be informed.

i think maybe he's not even real; a caricature of a cacher. is ANYONE aware that they are THAT big a jerk and then call attention to it?

i have peed in the punchbowl. isn't it grand? did everybody take notice? (into commandeered mic) attention, attention everybody! i peed in the punchbowl! aren't i smart? i waited until it was half empty to tell you. i know that when you asked me if you would enjoy that, you said no. i just want you to know that i did it anyway.

Edited by flask

As a final thought, based on ManInStripes' profile, he is nothing but a geo-leech. He has NEVER placed a single cache to allow others to enjoy the game and a chance at FTFs too. He thinks God invented Geocaching for only him and he gives NOTHING back to the game, the geo-community, or the reputation Geocaching is trying to establish worldwide. Too bad tar and feathers have gone out of style!

Just my 2 cents from a desert rat.

I smell a sock puppet troll :ph34r: .

Go ahead and tell me what an a-hole you think I am

You are!

The only FTFs I have are ones that took a few days to get a FTF, as they were remote. I wasn't trying for them. However, I do know there are a lot of people who like the FTF race, and what you propose is just plain stupid. :ph34r:

In fact every cache owner publishing a NEW CACHE should make it plainly clear that failure to log FTF with 6 hours of discovery will result in a deletion of the log when it appears.

i have to disagree here. it is unusual for me to return home within six hours of a morning FTF; sometimes i get a FTF and then don't return home for days. does that make my find less legitimate?

we can't be denying people legitimate finds on the basis of the fact that we despise them.

Well I have to disagree with your disagree. Hmm, does that make an agree? :ph34r: You have to realize that the GAME is always infinitely variable. Every cache in the world is unique if not in just the tiniest respect from every other cache...afterall, they are all located at least 528 feet from the next. Whether a cache challenge requires solving mind-blowing puzzles, going on a navigation treasure hunt of a five set multi-cache, hiking/trekking to the top of a mountain to log the cache.....THAT is what the game is all about. Not everyone has the skills, mentally on some challenges or physically on other challenges, to compete in seeking certain caches.

If the requirement of the Cache says "Log FTF within Six Hours of Discovery" then THAT is the challenge and requirement of THAT cache to make it unique. If you are out on a five day cache hunt and don't have your wi-fi laptop and a nearby community library for net access, then obviously YOU can not qualify for gaining the FTF rights although you can log the cache as a find for your count. (The cache owner can "edit" your log entry to remove the FTF claim yet leave it there for a find.) That is completely fair. I don't rock climb, and there are caches that specifically require that skill to reach it. I'll never log those for sure. The Six Hour limit is the challenge, it is not unfair.

That's my four cents now.

if the ADDITONAL LOGGING REQUIREMENT of the cache is the six-hour limit, that's all fine and dandy. that's a fair challenge.

how would you police this?

if it became normal in my area, by golly i'd find a way to subvert the system.

i could log online that i found it a two AM and then leave the house to look for the cache. i could simply not say what hour i signed the physical log.

i once picked up a pair of FTFs on the first day of a five day trip. since i'm chronically several months behind in logging, i ONLY log promptly if i'm FTF. consequently, my log rarely occupies that first slot online. and unles somebody else mentions that i was there first, nobody would know.

my signature is first in the book, and i have already taken the FTF prize. at least two of us know the truth, and that's good enough for me.

i notice that although this thread is labeled "more FTF" debate, there isn't any debate but rather a giant pigpile of all those who think the OP is a ...hole.

let's all get some shovels and see what we can do.

By my tally, this thread has so far covered just over half of the 'classic' feature set. As we know, 'classic' status isn't officially achieved until we hit 80%, so please carry on, everyone.

Covered so far:

• Drama
  • Entertainment
  • Angst
  • Sock puppet and troll references
  • Sarcasm
  • Witty banter
  • Sage wisdom

Not yet covered:

• 'Ringbone' reference
  • Moderator intervention
  • Bannination
  • AuntieWeasel appearance
  • Geocide
  • Godwin's Law Invoked

Well I have to disagree with your disagree. Hmm, does that make an agree? :o You have to realize that the GAME is always infinitely variable. Every cache in the world is unique if not in just the tiniest respect from every other cache...afterall, they are all located at least 528 feet from the next. Whether a cache challenge requires solving mind-blowing puzzles, going on a navigation treasure hunt of a five set multi-cache, hiking/trekking to the top of a mountain to log the cache.....THAT is what the game is all about. Not everyone has the skills, mentally on some challenges or physically on other challenges, to compete in seeking certain caches.

If the requirement of the Cache says "Log FTF within Six Hours of Discovery" then THAT is the challenge and requirement of THAT cache to make it unique. If you are out on a five day cache hunt and don't have your wi-fi laptop and a nearby community library for net access, then obviously YOU can not qualify for gaining the FTF rights although you can log the cache as a find for your count. (The cache owner can "edit" your log entry to remove the FTF claim yet leave it there for a find.) That is completely fair. I don't rock climb, and there are caches that specifically require that skill to reach it. I'll never log those for sure. The Six Hour limit is the challenge, it is not unfair.

That's my four cents now.

But you said that "every cache owner publishing a NEW CACHE" should make this requirement. That would mean that no one would be able to get a FTF if they couldn't log it within hours. That's not the same as a multi, hiking, etc. cache. Those are seperate caches, this would be for EVERY cache.

Besides, it wouldn't happen, because that would be considered an additional requirement and would need to be a Mystery type cache, which would make every cache a Mystery (if every cache owner did this). Which is impossible. So that's a moot point. :rolleyes:

i notice that although this thread is labeled "more FTF" debate, there isn't any debate but rather a giant pigpile of all those who think the OP is a ...hole.

Well, since the OP specifically invited the (jerk) references.....

Edited by mtn-man

it's just rude.

chance.

when people living in the next town up (read: 50 miles away) started complaining because i was driving in from out of town (mind you, they had an hour head start!) and getting FTF's, i stopped doing them.

freakin' whiners.

To the OP: lame idea. Log your finds as 'normal'.

The ISSUE is "intentionally" delaying logging a FTF to sucker unsuspecting cachers into heading out there in the hopes and anticipation of grabbing an FTF, especially if you are dragging your young geocachers along.

Its one thing to have mitigating circumstances which prevent cachers from making a valid log entry online....its an entirely different ethics scenario to intentionally deceive other fellow cachers, thereby discouraging them from EVER wanting to go for a FTF at least in that area where the deceiver lives.

The ISSUE for that area is what to do with a cacher who has the attitude of the OP? Urban caches in smallish communities are easily monitored by the cache maker and they are often close to home and on that person's home turf. So monitoring a time limit on a cache one mile from home is not a demanding scenario for the cache owner especially since it involves usually only a SINGLE day...the day of publishing or the following. A cache on a mountain top is a different story of course.

You have to also realize, once the FTF is completed there is no reason to even leave the requirement on the cache page any longer. The challenge has been met. The "winner" complied and captures the honor. Its not rocket science. I'm not saying everyone across America should publish time limits on their new caches. But where problems may arise in an area then its fitting to rely on rules of the cache to discourage things which do not promote the fun side of geocaching. This person's attitude is the first I've seen of this caliber (you should select "read forum posts by this person") and I'm repulsed by some of his earlier statements in July. Check it out for yourself. The tar and feathers comment remains~!

As for the troll comment, I've been promoting geocaching far longer than your membership date!

By my tally, this thread has so far covered just over half of the 'classic' feature set. As we know, 'classic' status isn't officially achieved until we hit 80%, so please carry on, everyone.

Covered so far:

Drama

Entertainment

Angst

Sock puppet and troll references

Sarcasm

Witty banter

Sage wisdom

Not yet covered:

'Ringbone' reference

Moderator intervention

Bannination

AuntieWeasel appearance

Geocide

Godwin's Law Invoked

Rarely is Godwin's actually invoked, but it sure is entertaining when it does happen! :rolleyes: