Paperless

GIS_Champ

I've looked through the forums a little bit but haven't found what I'm looking for. I wanted to hear some thoughts on going paperless (or using less paper at least) without having to use a PDA. I'm going on vacation soon to an area rich in caches but I don't want to spend hours in the field shuffling through a stack of papers trying to see if the cache I'm looking for is a micro or a virtual, etc... So I just wanted to hear some ideas on what to do. I was thinking of cutting and pasting the descriptions into a single Word file but that will take a lot of time. Any thoughts?

I've looked through the forums a little bit but haven't found what I'm looking for. I wanted to hear some thoughts on going paperless (or using less paper at least) without having to use a PDA. I'm going on vacation soon to an area rich in caches but I don't want to spend hours in the field shuffling through a stack of papers trying to see if the cache I'm looking for is a micro or a virtual, etc... So I just wanted to hear some ideas on what to do. I was thinking of cutting and pasting the descriptions into a single Word file but that will take a lot of time. Any thoughts?

How is it that you can possibly spend "hours" in the field shuffling papers?

briansnat is right most of the new GPSr can save soem extra infor such as the size and type of cache with the waypoint.

I have an old GPS that can not do that so what I do is use my MP3 player. It can display plain text files on it's itty bitty (2 lines 15 characters each) screen. It is a bit of a pain in the butt but I don't have to print anything out unless it is a map or some other graphic that is required to find the cache.

It also allows me to keep a few other text files that are useful for reference in finding some of those puzzle caches.

I have seen mp4 players that can display jpeg images as well as text files and even pdb book files. I was thinking about getting one while back before I got into geocaching.

I have heard that you can get PDAs pretty cheap on ebay that are more than up to the task of keeping track of caches. tho right now I am a little on the poor side due to medical bills for my wife.

John Z. Doe

Not a lot you can do without a PDA or newer unit. I've heard of some people who shrink the cache pages, getting 4 on a sheet of paper.

A PDA is so much easier. Why would you be against that? You can pick up a used Palm on Ebay for around $30, toss on Cachemate for $8 and you're good to go. You can literally have thousands of cache pages in your hip pocket.

Edited by briansnat

Well . . . you could become a Premium Member for one month, for $3.00. Then you will be able to create Pocket Queries for the types of caches you want to look for with the Difficulty and Terrain rating specified.

Then, download and install GSAK (Geocaching Swiss Army Knife). If you use the "Smart Name" codes, you can get a lot of information in the waypoint name. This is the code I use:

%smart=6 %con1%typ1%dif1%ter1

This includes part of the Name, the Size of the container, the Type of cache (Traditional, Multi, Virtual, Puzzle), the Difficulty and Terrain (based on a 10-point scale). You may have to adjust this if your Legend accepts fewer characters than my Vista C does.

To get the hint, use this code in the Waypoint Description blank of the Send to GPS dialogue box in GSAK:

%hint

I don't get the Puzzle caches in my regular PQs because I don't want to accidentally load them into my GPSr before I have the "corrected coordinates."

I have been wanting to go paperless for a long time now. I like the ideas mentioned. I am going to do some research this week. There is nothing worse than going on a trip and having to carry around literally hundreds of pieces of stapled paper to find caches. Never mind the amount of paper I burn through when that second page has nothing on it but one line. I hate that.

I have been wanting to go paperless for a long time now. I like the ideas mentioned. I am going to do some research this week. There is nothing worse than going on a trip and having to carry around literally hundreds of pieces of stapled paper to find caches. Never mind the amount of paper I burn through when that second page has nothing on it but one line. I hate that.

Your savings in paper and ink supplies alone will easily pay for a PDA and software.

Plus allow for daily Starbuck runs......

If your a low volume cacher like I am, print the cache page in PDF format and then view it on your Palm. There is a great shareware app; I believe its called PalmPDF that does an excellent job of displaying them. I have tried cachemate, and its very nice, but I really like the layout of the cache page and getting all the logs.

Your savings in paper and ink supplies alone will easily pay for a PDA and software.

Plus allow for daily Starbuck runs......

Which would be the most important part... to be sure. Mmm... coffee.

I have been using the same routine as Miragee for, um, well how ever many years GSAK has been around, MINUS the hint (I'm a no-hint kind of a gal) and love it.

Granted, it may not work for someone who is new, or someone who totally survives on the hints in the cache page, and details that can be found in the logs you can get, or isn't so good at just moving on if something doesn't click with relative 'ease' and will spend hours hunting each and every cache they come across until they find it...

It works well for me as it's VERY low fuss and I'm good to go as long as I have my GPS with me.

michelle

If you have an MP3 or MP4 player that contains an e-book feature its not really that hard to put cache info on that in a txt format - thus Less paper required and no PDA purchase necessary. the only downfall is that you can not input info in the field so some paper like small notebook may still be required.

Has anyone tried using an IPod for wireless caching? I would imagine that screen capturing the cache page would work fairly well for caches with short descriptions that all fit onto one page. Plus you get to rock out while I cache :grin:

Although, I am alittle leery of bringing it out into the field but my Action Jacket should protect it fairly well.

Has anyone tried using an IPod for wireless caching? I would imagine that screen capturing the cache page would work fairly well for caches with short descriptions that all fit onto one page. Plus you get to rock out while I cache :lol:

Although, I am alittle leery of bringing it out into the field but my Action Jacket should protect it fairly well.

Actually, for simple caches where I'm not gonna get myself in too much trouble, I use GSAK and pocket queries. Then I paperlessly print the HTML output for the caches I'm going after onto my PSP. It works, but honestly it's not very smart! *grin*

If you have an MP3 or MP4 player that contains an e-book feature its not really that hard to put cache info on that in a txt format - thus Less paper required and no PDA purchase necessary. the only downfall is that you can not input info in the field so some paper like small notebook may still be required.

Many MP3 players have a voice recorder built in. Mine does. Tho I keep a geocaching jornal anyway. Tho I have used the recorder on occation when I just do a quick cache and dash.

John Z. Doe

A lot of geocachers use web-enabled cell phones. There is even a cell phone application that can use the gpsr built into some of the newer phones.

There is a free program called GPSBabel that shoud be useful.

for the IPod, the GPSBabel program can convert gpx file to an IPod format.

You can also create a single html file and save it to a laptop.

I use my video Ipod and it works great. CacheMagenet, for me is the easiest (one click... "Send to Ipod")and and its made for caching, oh yeah and it free. It organizes them very well, with the main info, hint's and logs separate... but very intuitive and easy to use.

Edited by geoSpartan