Consecutive Days Caching?

Go figure, I was on my longest streak ever until yesterday, which was the first time in 30 days I haven't found a cache. A cache a day for 30 days straight was hard enough; I can't imagine the kind of dedication it would take to keep it up for several years! Hats off to those who have enough passion for the game to maintain a streak for so long (and who are lucky enough to have an endless supply of caches to find near their home :lol: ).

edit: spellling

Edited by DavidMac

The real measure of dedication might be the number of days with a DNF. Because people who do so many caches might give up after a few minutes and go on to another just to get that one for that day. But most people, like me, will not post a DNF if we didn't really put our hearts into the search. My streak a measly 39 days, I know someone in Connecticut with just about 300.

Now how many days in a row not caching is also an interesting stat. Rain or snow or illness or even boredom preventing cache finds. My longest is only 19 days, I guess I'm really into this sport. Perhaps it's 30-40 days if you ignore traditional caches since I don't do many of those anymore.

Pretty easy in urban areas such as SF or LA. It helps if you have a long commute, or if you have a job which invovles driving.

Personally i just moved VERY close to work, and it has noticeably decreased my cache finds. It's easy to stop for a cache on the way home with a long commute... but not so much when you live 30 seconds from work.

I started on a streak run hoping to get to maybe 30 days. Today will be 197 if I find one. Yes, it gets pretty tough to work around things like dental surgery, chigger infestations and the various injuries and ailments that come with getting older not to mention work and home commitments.

I can honestly say I probably would not have gone this long if Mrs. SQ had not been on the cachng bandwagon and gotten me outta the house when I really didn't feel like going and doing all those other little things that made getting some of those finds possible. The one the evening of the dental surgery was particularly rough!

As for the previous comments about the DNFs, I have plenty! When I go for my day's find I try to have 2-4 targets in mind and I look for each cache just as diligently regardless of my streak's needs. I have more of a time crunch because of work than because of trying to keep the streak alive. That being said, I always try to keep a couple of park and grabs between my job and my house so I can bag one if I need a quick grab for the day! Yes, a lot of strategy and discipline is necessary to keep a long-term streak going! Come to think of it, I probably should not have grabbed all 3 P&Gs yesterday. D'OH!

I did 51 days this spring. I had originally challenged myself to 30, but I managed to hold back on enough local caches that I kept it going.

Thankfully, I shared my challenge with a local cacher who placed about 10 caches within 10 miles of our home area. These were handy "emergency caches" for busy days when I couldn't get away. I also laid low on caches in a wider circle around me for about a month before the challenge. The rest was simply a matter of planning caches around necessary errands and trips.

In the end though, gas prices hit above $3.00 a gallon and the caches got farther and farther away. In the end it just started to seem pretty irresponsible.

Still, 51 days is pretty amazing to me...especially in this rural area. I might try it again later, but in no hurry.

That last day...it actually felt good to not cache. :D

Go figure, I was on my longest streak ever until yesterday, which was the first time in 30 days I haven't found a cache. A cache a day for 30 days straight was hard enough; I can't imagine the kind of dedication it would take to keep it up for several years! Hats off to those who have enough passion for the game to maintain a streak for so long (and who are lucky enough to have an endless supply of caches to find near their home :rolleyes: ).

edit: spellling

Yeah. It makes me feel better about myself, hearing there are people out there who are much more obsessed with geocaching than me. I start to wonder about myself sometimes. :blink::D

My most days without a find is 30, which I hope not to break. Anyone else know their consecutive days without a find?

First, so I stay on topic: My record for most days with a find is just 9, which happened between Christmas and New Year's when I didn't have to work. That one might fall on my summer vacation this year, we'll see.

As to your question, my longest drought is 102 days which happened in 2004. I moved, my mother moved, my sister moved, we had just had a recent death in the family and things were just nuts...I hope I never come close to that mark again!

The real measure of dedication might be the number of days with a DNF. Because people who do so many caches might give up after a few minutes and go on to another just to get that one for that day. But most people, like me, will not post a DNF if we didn't really put our hearts into the search. My streak a measly 39 days, I know someone in Connecticut with just about 300.

Now how many days in a row not caching is also an interesting stat. Rain or snow or illness or even boredom preventing cache finds. My longest is only 19 days, I guess I'm really into this sport. Perhaps it's 30-40 days if you ignore traditional caches since I don't do many of those anymore.

True, I think perhaps many of my almost 1500 DNFs are perhaps kind of weak. I get frustrated a lot easier than I did in the "old" days, and I start to get impatient with a cache if I haven't found one yet for the day and it's getting around 9pm or so. Even so, I think I've spent a half hour to an hour on a good portion of those DNFs, and since I don't actually have that many caches to choose from nowadays, even the ones I can't find, I know I have to go back for; so I usually try to give them a pretty good search. My longest DNF streak is only 10 days.