Are geocaching forums more to see who is the wittiest or for information on geocaching

This reminds me of a story of my youth.

Years ago I participated in a weekly card game with a group of friends. Inevitably, we'd spend the first hour or two preparing and enjoying food and beverages. Then someone would bring up sports. Or politics. Or pull out a new cd that everyone had to hear. Sometimes we never even got the cards pulled out, which suited everybody just fine. Except for one of us.

One of our friends took his cards very seriously, and would always get annoyed if we got sidetracked. We'd tell him it doesn't matter as long as we were having fun. His famous, oft-repeated reply was, "We're not here to have fun. We're here to play cards."

It's all entertainment for me.

Edited by Googling Hrpty Hrrs

This reminds me of a story of my youth.

Years ago I participated in a weekly card game with a group of friends. Inevitably, we'd spend the first hour or two preparing and enjoying food and beverages. Then someone would bring up sports. Or politics. Or pull out a new cd that everyone had to hear. Sometimes we never even got the cards pulled out, which suited everybody just fine. Except for one of us.

One of our friends took his cards very seriously, and would always get annoyed if we got sidetracked. We'd tell him it doesn't matter as long as we were having fun. His famous, oft-repeated reply was, "We're not here to have fun. We're here to play cards."

It's all entertainment for me.

Excellent.

I think there is good information given here, but I see it as a bunch folks setting around talking about caching. There will be information given, debates will rage, but also jokes will be told and fun will be had. So in answer to the question.....

Yes! <_<

The only place where wit or fun is allowed is the "invitation only" area for Charter and Premium Members. It's all very Super Secret Squirrel. As a matter of fact, I could be banished for mentioning it. (good thing I'm using my sock to post) If you're posting any mirth in the Lesser Member areas, or what I like to call "the forums for the unwashed masses", you will be dealt with in the harshest of manners.

Hey, why does my post say ...The Girl?

"Are geocaching forums more to see who is the wittiest or for information on geocaching"

Well?

Neither.It's to nuke the crap out of something fun like geocaching and anaylize it to death for the purpose of doing away with YALPs-YAGs(Terms courtesy of TrailGators),lame woods micros,numbers cachers,FTF hounds,and black garbage bag caches.Oh,also to call out elitists and FTFing reviewer incidents that may or may not have took place.

Inbetween those drama posts we can find out how old you are,if you're a geek,what kind of GPSr you use,the will this work or how does this sound threads,six threads on the contents of your caching bag,7800 threads comparing the 60csx&76 csx,and the creme o' the crop,the 5,008,998 threads titled "how do I change my user name yo?"DUDE!!!It's in the friggen FAQs!!!It says it right there when you create it!Search the dang threads first!

\rant.

Am I getting warm?

"Are geocaching forums more to see who is the wittiest or for information on geocaching"

Well?

Neither.It's to nuke the crap out of something fun like geocaching and anaylize it to death for the purpose of doing away with YALPs-YAGs(Terms courtesy of TrailGators),lame woods micros,numbers cachers,FTF hounds,and black garbage bag caches.Oh,also to call out elitists and FTFing reviewer incidents that may or may not have took place.

Inbetween those drama posts we can find out how old you are,if you're a geek,what kind of GPSr you use,the will this work or how does this sound threads,six threads on the contents of your caching bag,7800 threads comparing the 60csx&76 csx,and the creme o' the crop,the 5,008,998 threads titled "how do I change my user name yo?"DUDE!!!It's in the friggen FAQs!!!It says it right there when you create it!Search the dang threads first!

\rant.

Am I getting warm?

Nope.

Well?

\rant.

Am I getting warm?

Nope.

<_<

Well?

Neither.

The problem with the "battle of wits" around here, is so many come here unarmed.

The problem with seeking information is you mainly get concrete opinions - thoroughly mixed & permanently set.

The real reason for the forums is to see the signature tag lines!

Well?

Neither.

The problem with the "battle of wits" around here, is so many come here unarmed.

The problem with seeking information is you mainly get concrete opinions - thoroughly mixed & permanently set.

I'm under the impression no one is reading them.

Some one should start a thread..."What does that say?

Sig lines...Are you reading?"

Well?

Neither.

I'm under the impression no one is reading them.

Some one should start a thread..."What does that say?

Sig lines...Are you reading?"

There are already several threads like that, but I'm to busy too markwell one right now.

Edited by Snoogans

Well?

If you have a direct question with a simple answer then you can get information, for everything else you have to sift the bits of useful info out the witty remarks.

Geocaching forums are like any other hobby forums. There are people here seeking information and people who want to share information. There are people here who want to just chat about the hobby. There are people here who like to stir others up. And, finally, as there are in any Internet venue, there are trolls, people who are simply mean, people who set others off and sit back to enjoy the spectacle.

It happens here. It happens in Second Life. It happens on aquarium-hobby forums. It happens at geek sites like slashdot. I could go on and on and on.

Do I deplore the trolls? Sure. Do I play their reindeer games? Not a chance.

The point is that you're not going to be able to get rid of them, no matter how many indignant posts you leave. And if you change hobbies, you'll find them there, too. Wherever you go. The Internet affords a degree of anonymity that at its worst protects trolls and worse (see the horrible threats to IT blogger Kathy Siena as one example if you don't believe me), and there is little that can be done.

The best you can do -- to my mind -- is try and be Zen about it. If someone bothers you, don't read their posts: life is too short. Make sure that you never sink to their depths. And enjoy the good people here, because there really are a lot more of them.

-- Jeannette

Thanks Confucius' Cat for starting this thread. I half heartedly suggested someone start this thread in another thread that got way off subject and crazy. I guess you were listening.

My answer is this: In the Geocaching Topics forum being witty is the cool thing. If you want serious answers, go the the Getting Started forum. The only thing wrong there is it's a little too elementary (kind of like some of the witty comments in the Geocaching Topics forum)

I'll be back to read the witty comment that someone comes up with for my post.

Edited by bomb280