GEOCACHING MAGAZINE

i was never interested in TC because it was completely gc.com-centric and its editorial positions were those of Groundspeak. of course it may not have been ENTIRELY that way, since at some point i simply stopped paying attention.

i play exclusively through gc.com, but it is not the whole of the sport. a magazine wishing to represent geocachers in general might cover geocaching in a more general way.

Maybe the issues could be quarterly, or bi-monthly? Would that relieve some of the deadline pressure? Human nature says probably not, chaos theory and all (or is that the entropy effect?).

If TC was ressurected and tied into premium membership, that'd spur me shell out the $$ to join. When I sign up for something that involves a fee, I want free crap. Stickers, newsletters, etc.

Just a thought...

Maybe the issues could be quarterly, or bi-monthly? Would that relieve some of the deadline pressure? Human nature says probably not, chaos theory and all (or is that the entropy effect?0.

I think an actual quarterly magazine could work if the focus was on ALL GPS games and websites.

If TC was ressurected and tied into premium membership, that'd spur me shell out the $$ to join. When I sign up for something that involves a fee, I want free crap. Stickers, newsletters, etc.

That does nothing to address the narrow perspective that was an issue with the previous version that caused many folks not to subscribe.

There is more than one lane on the geocaching highway. Granted, gc.com is the widest and best paved. :drama:

Just a thought...

I don't think tying it to membership is very good idea. The ezine should be available to all cachers. Even those that aren't PMs might find it very enjoyable. Also I don't think that it should be tied to GC in any way. That would tend to make it much more complex. If TPTB want to put out a mag they would. I don't think they would want to approve all the stories and the layout, and so on, for every issue plus everything they do now.

Keeping it a grassroots effort is the best route to go. K.I.S.S. :drama:

My second article on how I play My Game (based on my thread) was printed in the e-zine. I believe the person I turned it in to said thanks in advance, yet once again, after the article left my hands, NO FEEDBACK. A couple local people emailed me to tell me I wrote a good article. I had NO IDEA it had even been published. No one from the magazine even bothered to tell me and certainly no thanks for delivering an article fit to print.

That was me and I can't imagine not saying thanks when I received it. If I didn't it was a major oversight on my part. Beyond that I didn't think any feedback was necessary. It's mere appearance in the magazine I figured was evidence that it was a quality piece.

My intent was not to call anyone out. I truly have no hard feelings. I just wanted to illustrate a pitfall to anyone considering picking up the baton.

I don't need fanfare. I don't need money. I do need feedback. A few words is all and maybe some follow up.

I.E.

Thanks for your submission. Sorry we can't use it at this time.

Thanks for your submission. It will be in the ____ issue out on ______.

Thanks for your submission. Sorry we can't use it at this time, but we will retain a copy for possible publication in a future issue. We will contact you if we select your article for a future edition.

Follow up:

Here is the edited version of your article that will run on _______.

Or something of that nature. A feeling that I was part of the process rather than a resource to be tapped would have gained my loyalty and effort to submit more articles.

It's a bit early to make final decisions since I am just pulling together a volunteer team and we're still bouncing ideas around, but here is my thinking so far:

World-wide scope, focused on geocaching and geocachers

By cachers for cachers

No staff, no staff writers, just the publication of whatever appropriate material is sent in by cachers by a flexible corps of volunteers willing to help

No subscription, no fees, the website will be open to all comers

Web based

No periodic release... material added as submitted

No deadlines... submit what you want when and if you want

Materials scroll off the bottom as new material is added to the top

Editorial bias will be kept at a minimum, with the caveat that I am personally a huge fan of single-sourcing and favor Groundspeak's listing service over all others extant today as the place to go to get all geocache listing information. This won't be a Groundspeak house organ, but fans of other listing sites may think it's the next thing to it!

Volunteer support will be needed to create the web page, host it, solicit, edit and publish material, but no volunteer will be asked to give this effort a lot of time. KISS is the order of the day

I suspect that many cachers have considered starting a blog or personal web page about their geocaching - by submitting their articles to the tentatively named Geocachers Online magazine whenever they desire to write they avoid having to maintain such structures and gain a much wider audience.

Ed

Maybe the issues could be quarterly, or bi-monthly? Would that relieve some of the deadline pressure? Human nature says probably not, chaos theory and all (or is that the entropy effect?0.

I think an actual quarterly magazine could work if the focus was on ALL GPS games and websites.

That does nothing to address the narrow perspective that was an issue with the previous version that caused many folks not to subscribe.

There is more than one lane on the geocaching highway. Granted, gc.com is the widest and best paved. :drama:

I Don't believe our perspective was narrow. We supported GC.com who was gracious enough to support us. With out them we would've had a hard time getting the word out about the magazine.

They never influenced the magazine one way or another. I as the publisher decided the focus of the magazine. A few people were unhappy that the focus wasn't extended to Terracaching, or Navicaching. I gave them both a chance to state their positions. Only Terracaching took me up on the chance, and the article was published.

Our goal was to reach the most people possible. The obvious way to do that was to build a relationship with GC.com. It's a relationship that we enjoyed and if I bring the magazine back, one that we will continue to enjoy. I would guess that 98% of cachers belong to GC.com. That's the audience and support I want as a publisher.

In our hayday we had over a million hits per month on our site. That success was mainly due to the support of GC.com.

As you pointed out Snoogans, you were part of the original team on Woodsters to put the magazine together. If you also recall the majority wanted to use the magazine to attack Jeremy. That's when Richard and I parted company with the rest.

Ed, Good luck on your adventure. If you need help let me know.

El Diablo

Edited by El Diablo
As you pointed out Snoogans, you were part of the original team on Woodsters to put the magazine together. If you also recall the majority wanted to use the magazine to attack Jeremy. That's when Richard and I parted company with the rest.

Honestly El D, I don't remember folks wanting to attack Jeremy with that project. :D I remember several verrry late nights of fun brainstorming the project. I remember quite a bit, but not that. :D

Given some of Jeremy's remarks in this forum at that time, I could very well see how folks in a private candid forum might have chosen to speak more freely. That's hardly a conspiracy to use a publication as a means to attack Jeremy.

I was pretty openly critical of Jeremy at that time myself, but I tend not to print things that I wouldn't say to one's face or that I would be embarassed about being confronted with. I tend to speak my harshest words for plausable deniability's sake and then only to not hurt someone's feelings.

Too bad Woodster's site is gone, but maybe he kept a disk copy for old time's sake. :ph34r: I'd like to reread that thread just to see how I missed such a conspiracy. :P

I enjoyed the brainstorming project right up to the end and I wasn't sorry at all that I got cut. :):P I think the TC e-zine and the printed magazine you produced were first class. I really enjoyed them, but that didn't stop me as an outsider from thinking the focus was a bit narrow.

Edited by Snoogans

Hmmmmm. I think they call that a forum. The only difference is it isn't filtered for content first.

Actually it will be nothing resembling a forum, at least I can't see any conceptual resemblance. Much closer to a blog or wiki, but with numerous contributers.

Right. Nothing at all like this thread or these forums with multiple opinions submitted by numersous contributors. The only substantial difference is the blog is static and subject to review before posting is allowed versus this dynamic thread where reviews occur after the posting. No conceptual resemblance at all.

I don't buy it.

I don't mean to be the "spelling police" or anything of that sort...

Of course you do. You did. At no small effort.

Yes, some spelling and grammar might be corrected, but this is for cachers by cachers, not an erudite publication for academia. Most articles will go out as the author wrote them.

taking the time to spell simple words correctly is not the mark of erudition. it is the mark of basic literacy.

Fifty years ago, maybe. Now, just making a sentence comprehensible is literacy.

i was never interested in TC because it was completely gc.com-centric and its editorial positions were those of Groundspeak. of course it may not have been ENTIRELY that way, since at some point i simply stopped paying attention.

i play exclusively through gc.com, but it is not the whole of the sport. a magazine wishing to represent geocachers in general might cover geocaching in a more general way.

I think Today's Cacher was GC.com centric because the sport is. If you start a magazine about automobiles, you will mostly read about GM, Honda, Toyota, Ford, et. al.. You won't see many articles about Joe's Backyard Automobile Manufacturing Co.

Edited by briansnat

Hmmmmm. I think they call that a forum. The only difference is it isn't filtered for content first.

Actually it will be nothing resembling a forum, at least I can't see any conceptual resemblance. Much closer to a blog or wiki, but with numerous contributers.

Right. Nothing at all like this thread or these forums with multiple opinions submitted by numersous contributors. The only substantial difference is the blog is static and subject to review before posting is allowed versus this dynamic thread where reviews occur after the posting. No conceptual resemblance at all.

I don't buy it.

I'm not sure why this is hard for you - in a newsletter or magazine people submit articles, someone decides to publish or reject them, if published you read them, you like them or don't like them. If you have a comment or correction, fine - write the editor. The readership will most likely never see your follow-up.

In a forum comments and questions are posted and multi-party open debate ensues.

You really can't see the difference? Come on, I bet you can. :)

I think Today's Cacher was GC.com centric because the sport is. Some of the users of the other minor geocaching sites are promoting the use of terms other than geocaching to describe the sport now.

Can't speak for Today's Cacher, and this thread isn't about them anyway, but attention goes where the eyeballs are.

The magazine I am contemplating won't do any paid advertising, but if we did where would we put it... on gc.com or terracaching? Since gc probably has 95% or better of the world's geocacher's attention, that's a no-brainer!

Is that gc-centric? No, that's common sense!

Articles are just starting to come in, so far they are all about geocaching the game, not the listing service, but so far they mention geocaching.com as 'the listing service' in one way or another and none I have read mention terracaching.

Does that mean I should edit them to add mention of TC? Try to be 'fair' and force a supposed level playing field?

Does that mean the magazine will be GC-centric?

No to both - it's geocaching-the-game-centric, and when TC earns a bigger share of eyeballs I am sure articles about them will come in... but this or any other magazine has no control over that... we'll publish what folks give us.

I don't buy it.

I'm not sure why this is hard for you - in a newsletter or magazine people submit articles, someone decides to publish or reject them, if published you read them, you like them or don't like them. If you have a comment or correction, fine - write the editor. The readership will most likely never see your follow-up.

In a forum comments and questions are posted and multi-party open debate ensues.

You really can't see the difference? Come on, I bet you can. :)

It is basically the same thing under different mediums and I think I stated it correctly:

The only substantial difference is the blog is static and subject to review before posting is allowed versus this dynamic thread where reviews occur after the posting.

I think Today's Cacher was GC.com centric because the sport is. Some of the users of the other minor geocaching sites are promoting the use of terms other than geocaching to describe the sport now.

Can't speak for Today's Cacher, and this thread isn't about them anyway, but attention goes where the eyeballs are.

The magazine I am contemplating won't do any paid advertising, but if we did where would we put it... on gc.com or terracaching? Since gc probably has 95% or better of the world's geocacher's attention, that's a no-brainer!

Is that gc-centric? No, that's common sense!

Articles are just starting to come in, so far they are all about geocaching the game, not the listing service, but so far they mention geocaching.com as 'the listing service' in one way or another and none I have read mention terracaching.

Does that mean I should edit them to add mention of TC? Try to be 'fair' and force a supposed level playing field?

Does that mean the magazine will be GC-centric?

No to both - it's geocaching-the-game-centric, and when TC earns a bigger share of eyeballs I am sure articles about them will come in... but this or any other magazine has no control over that... we'll publish what folks give us.

Just catching up on the thread.

If you don't mention Terracaching, and Navicaching in every issue, you will be considered GC.com centric. Today's Cacher published hundreds of articles and I'll bet you if you look back there are less than a half a dozen times we even mentioned GC.com. If we did it was usually in an editorial. Yet we were centric. On the other hand...perception is reality.

Also I know this thread isn't about Today's Cacher, but we were the first and had thousands of readers. It's only natural that you'll be compared to us, for better or for worse. Like it or not.

I know you don't want my advice, but for what it's worth....there will always be a few out there that will find fault in what you do, but do you publish for them, or the majority? Which will make your publication work?

El Diablo

I know you don't want my advice, but for what it's worth....there will always be a few out there that will find fault in what you do, but do you publish for them, or the majority? Which will make your publication work?

El Diablo

Yikes! I don't know how I managed to give that impression, and I am sorry that I did!

I very much value and need your advice and contributions!

In fact you are on my list of volunteer collaborators that I am making who will be invited to a private forum I will soon be setting up to interact, make some decisions and get this ball rolling.

My business was successful because I made it my practice to hire folks that were smarter than I in the subject area, pay them more than I paid myself and get out of their way and let them do their thing. Except for the pay that shall be my practice here! In this effort we will all earn exactly the same... bupkis!

I already know that in the areas of online publications and artistic hiking staffs you are way ahead of me and therefore your help will be invaluable and appreciated. :o

Edited by TheAlabamaRambler

New guy here just dropping a quick opinion. I have been involved in a niche type magazine for www.lightleaks.org which is about toy camera photography. When we first started out, we used Lulu.com to self publish. Doesnt cost anybody anything but time to upload a published magazine, guide, or book. Just cost for people to buy.

Lulu sets a base price which depends on how many pages, format, etc. You can then set the price above that to make a profit if so desired. Publishing this way allows many people to get their foot in the door and see what kind of volume they can sell. Lulu ships, accepts the money, etc.

Really hands off once your publication is ready. Allows small scale projects to really work. A few cons are they usually will cost a little more this way, but makes it so nobody producing the magazine is out money for a few hundred copies that may or may not sell. It is publishing on demand- they only print what is ordered at any given time- Might be 1 copy or 1,000- you get the point.

We eventually sold enough magazines to start using a real printer and started offering subscriptions. Lulu allowed us to see what the market would be like before we invested any of our own money.

I personally like having something I can hold and read instead of spending every minute in front of the computer. I love the idea of a magzine. I would also love a guide book, granted maybe smaller and in less depth than "caching for idiots" ( which I own)

In any case- just wanted to give a perspective from "on demand publishing" options. Looking forward to seeing how this all shakes out.

Edited by cgmoyer

Had seen the topic and had to pop in. Doing most of the graphics for the magazine, I was involved in many of the meeting from the beginning. El Diablo was so right about the time and money needed to make it successful. My black hat is off to El Diablo for his vision and execution of the first Geocacher's Magazine despite its conclusion.

One suggestion is to update Today's Cacher page to reflect its current state and push the back issues online as archived information for the cachers of today.

Amish Hacker

secondissue.jpg

There is a lot of work that goes into publishing a magazine. The best advice I can give is the old K.I.S.S rule...Keep It Simple Stupid. One of our downfalls was always trying to make the next issue bigger and better than the previous one.

The only reason we managed to last the 3 years we did from because of the dedication of the regular staff. However we all soon became tired of meeting deadlines and trying to get the next issue up. You'll find many people that say they want to help and may do so for a short period of time, but most don't follow through.

It's harder than you might think to decide wether or not to publish an article or to cover a subject. Some will try to use the magazine as a vehicle to carry a personal message or a grudge.

One day I might bring back Today's Cacher, and If I do it will be a lot more laid back for the people involved.

Also, unless you have deep pockets, stay away from any thoughts of making it profitable.

I would be happy to share my knowledge (be it what it is) to anyone wanting my advice.

El Diablo

New guy here just dropping a quick opinion. I have been involved in a niche type magazine for www.lightleaks.org which is about toy camera photography. When we first started out, we used Lulu.com to self publish. Doesnt cost anybody anything but time to upload a published magazine, guide, or book. Just cost for people to buy.

Lulu sets a base price which depends on how many pages, format, etc. You can then set the price above that to make a profit if so desired. Publishing this way allows many people to get their foot in the door and see what kind of volume they can sell. Lulu ships, accepts the money, etc.

Really hands off once your publication is ready. Allows small scale projects to really work. A few cons are they usually will cost a little more this way, but makes it so nobody producing the magazine is out money for a few hundred copies that may or may not sell. It is publishing on demand- they only print what is ordered at any given time- Might be 1 copy or 1,000- you get the point.

We eventually sold enough magazines to start using a real printer and started offering subscriptions. Lulu allowed us to see what the market would be like before we invested any of our own money.

I personally like having something I can hold and read instead of spending every minute in front of the computer. I love the idea of a magzine. I would also love a guide book, granted maybe smaller and in less depth than "caching for idiots" ( which I own)

In any case- just wanted to give a perspective from "on demand publishing" options. Looking forward to seeing how this all shakes out.

Thanks for the input, but this will be a totally free online effort only.

Just a different perspective:

If you build a church in a development, off the main road, thinking that you'll get most of the 400 houses to be involved in that church, you have miscalculated. You will most likely get less than 10%, much less. Some people may drive 15 miles while others won't drive two blocks. It's just the way it is. When churches do that, most of the time they stay very small.

When our largest event is 2000 people, we have to count ourselves as small. We're just a small neighborhood, and to try to run a full paying magazine in a small neighborhood isn't likely to work. If 50% of all geocachers would subscribe, it could work....... but that isn't likely. And, BTW, no one is obligated.

I always appreciated the big efforts of the free ezine, and the people who contributed. What I really hated was to see people get hurt by what was intended to be a good thing. :lol:

Just a different perspective:

If you build a church in a development, off the main road, thinking that you'll get most of the 400 houses to be involved in that church, you have miscalculated. You will most likely get less than 10%, much less. Some people may drive 15 miles while others won't drive two blocks. It's just the way it is. When churches do that, most of the time they stay very small.

When our largest event is 2000 people, we have to count ourselves as small. We're just a small neighborhood, and to try to run a full paying magazine in a small neighborhood isn't likely to work. If 50% of all geocachers would subscribe, it could work....... but that isn't likely. And, BTW, no one is obligated.

I always appreciated the big efforts of the free ezine, and the people who contributed. What I really hated was to see people get hurt by what was intended to be a good thing. :lol:

What part of 'free' and 'volunteer' do y'all not get?

As far as size and readership, it will be what you geocachers make it, no more, no less!

I don't mean to be the "spelling police" or anything of that sort...

Of course you do. You did. At no small effort.

Yes, some spelling and grammar might be corrected, but this is for cachers by cachers, not an erudite publication for academia. Most articles will go out as the author wrote them.

taking the time to spell simple words correctly is not the mark of erudition. it is the mark of basic literacy.

Fifty years ago, maybe. Now, just making a sentence comprehensible is literacy.

Horse pucky. My children and their children speak properly and understand rules of grammar. My wife did daycare for 20 years and was constantly complimented by the kindergarten teachers because the children who started school spoke properly. When you applied to work for us you were required to sit down and write something about yourself. If you didn't understand basic English and sentence construction you weren't hired. People who are illiterate and don't comprehend basic rules of grammar were taught to be that way. We all make spelling mistakes or other mistakes due to hurry or other issues. Errors are especially common in electronic forums such as this one. However, in a publication, there is no excuse. That's what copy editing is all about. There is no substitute for quality and attention to detail.

http://www.geocachermagazine.com/

Looking good!

Hope they get more submissions than I got - two would in fact double mine!

Good luck!

Suggestion:

I noticed that the page doesn't fit on the screen at 1024x768 resolution. I'd venture a guess that the majority of cachers don't use a resolution higher than that. Perhaps the page could be formatted so that it fits without scrolling from side to side.

Greetings everyone! Yes, there is a new venture called Geocacher Magazine that will be available later this year. We are now compiling content, features and a limited number of select advertisers. We welcome any and all thoughts, suggestions, input, etc.... This is to be largely a 'Cacher-Driven' publication and as you can tell from our "work-in-progress" website (www.geocachermagazine.com), we will be featuring interesting cachers from all over the world and supporting those groups and associations who support us!

We try to check forum and blog postings as often as possible but with limited time available, we'd love to hear directly from you! Feel free to email us anytime at: info@geocachermagazine.com

Also visit: www.myspace.com/geocachermagazine

Cache On!

P.S. Thanks for the note on the image size of our web page - we're on it!

Greetings everyone! Yes, there is a new venture called Geocacher Magazine that will be available later this year. We are now compiling content, features and a limited number of select advertisers. We welcome any and all thoughts, suggestions, input, etc.... This is to be largely a 'Cacher-Driven' publication and as you can tell from our "work-in-progress" website (www.geocachermagazine.com), we will be featuring interesting cachers from all over the world and supporting those groups and associations who support us!

We try to check forum and blog postings as often as possible but with limited time available, we'd love to hear directly from you! Feel free to email us anytime at: info@geocachermagazine.com

Also visit: www.myspace.com/geocachermagazine

Cache On!

P.S. Thanks for the note on the image size of our web page - we're on it!

Later this year? From looking at the teasers, it looks like you have enough for an issue now.

El Diablo

I have to admit that I don't know where we are on this mag!

GeoWorms has stepped up to host it and a number of folks have volunteered to help in various important ways, but so far I have two submissions - one article and one copy of a cache log!

I asked for submissions and got lots of promises and "I would love to send something", but no content, so I let it sit for a bit, thinking folks needed time to write article submissions. Still none.

So up pops GeocacherMagazine.com, who says he's starting one. Kewl, I don't care who does it, I just think we want one.

I told all my contacts to send their stuff to him, no need to have two magazines!

So now he writes and wants my help. Cool, I totally support anyone who wants to do this! But when I ask who Geocachermagazine is, he won't tell me any nick but geocachingmagazine!

I get this explanation:

TheAlabamaRambler: K, your name shows up as Geocachermagazine so I didn't know who that was... what's your geocaching nick?

geocachermagazine: I just created a profile for the magazine " Geocacher Magazine"

TheAlabamaRambler: So you don't have a caching name?

geocachermagazine: I'm keeping my actual Premium Membership name private for now, but I'm based in [deleted] - been caching with my kids for about 3 years now - just got past 150 finds

geocachermagazine: I'm trying to keep my personal caching stuff seperate from my magazine stuff

TheAlabamaRambler: K, if you don't want to be known I am not sure I can help you. I was prepared to shut down my eforts to start one and have folks send their articles to you, but nobody is going to deal with a shadow.

geocachermagazine: I post pics of my kids on my personal profile and with some of the hostility I've read in the forums I just want to keep that seperate. - Same goes with the Cub Scout and Boys Scout groups I run - we keep anything with kids 'off line'

geocachermagazine: I will likely post more information about "just me" on the "Geocacher Magazine" profile in the near future.

TheAlabamaRambler: K, then starting a geocaching mag is probably not the thing for you. If anyone is going to attract atention, support and submissions they will have to be a known name in the game, and known to be associated with more. Good luck!

TheAlabamaRambler: I don't know how enamored you are with having your own mag, but we would welcome your support if you want to do the website for ours

geocachermagazine: thanks for the input

So, I don't think I can give a shadow credibility. I don't want to compete, one mag should suffice, but I would think that mag will have to be a community effort by respected volunteers, not the one-man-show of a shadow.

That being the case I renew my call for submissions and will continue with our plan to launch the free online mag so far discussed in this thread!

If y'all want a magazine, give me (or geocachermagazine.com, whichever) something to work with!

Thanks,

Ed

Edited by TheAlabamaRambler

GeoWorms has stepped up to host it and a number of folks have volunteered to help in various important ways, but so far I have two submissions - one article and one copy of a cache log!

I asked for submissions and got lots of promises and "I would love to send something", but no content, so I let it sit for a bit, thinking folks needed time to write article submissions. Still none.

So up pops GeocacherMagazine.com, who says he's starting one. Kewl, I don't care who does it, I just think we want one.

I told all my contacts to send their stuff to him, no need to have two magazines!

So now he writes and wants my help. Cool, I totally support anyone who wants to do this! But when I ask who Geocachermagazine is, he won't tell me any nick but geocachingmagazine!

I get this explanation:

TheAlabamaRambler: K, your name shows up as Geocachermagazine so I didn't know who that was... what's your geocaching nick?

geocachermagazine: I just created a profile for the magazine " Geocacher Magazine"

geocachermagazine: I'm keeping my actual Premium Membership name private for now, but I'm based in [deleted] - been caching with my kids for about 3 years now - just got past 150 finds

geocachermagazine: I'm trying to keep my personal caching stuff seperate from my magazine stuff

TheAlabamaRambler: K, if you don't want to be known I am not sure I can help you. I was prepared to shut down my eforts to start one and have folks send their articles to you, but nobody is going to deal with a shadow.

geocachermagazine: I post pics of my kids on my personal profile and with some of the hostility I've read in the forums I just want to keep that seperate. - Same goes with the Cub Scout and Boys Scout groups I run - we keep anything with kids 'off line'

geocachermagazine: I will likely post more information about "just me" on the "Geocacher Magazine" profile in the near future.

TheAlabamaRambler: K, then starting a geocaching mag is probably not the thing for you. If anyone is going to attract atention, support and submissions they will have to be a known name in the game, and known to be associated with more. Good luck!

TheAlabamaRambler: I don't know how enamored you are with having your own mag, but we would welcome your support if you want to do the website for ours

So, I don't think I can give a shadow credibility. I don't want to compete, one mag should suffice, but I would think that mag will have to be a community effort by respected volunteers, not the one-man-show of a shadow.

That being the case I renew my call for submissions and will continue with our plan to launch the free online mag so far discussed in this thread!

If y'all want a magazine, give me (or geocachermagazine.com, whichever) something to work with!

Thanks,

Ed

Heh..Ed I thought that was you when I saw the Geocacher Magazine post in another thread. :D

I get this explanation:

Thanks,

Ed

Heh..Ed I thought that was you when I saw the Geocacher Magazine post in another thread. :D

A number of folks did!

I am not criticizing the fellow, if it's indeed s a fellow, I am only assuming it is from the Boy Scout reference... don't get me wrong, I wish him luck... I just can't support an anonymous one-person effort.

Since I have gotten several emails about his new mag from folks thinking it is me I felt the need to clear the air!

Ed

My response to this thread is that I am definitely interested in helping on the magazine. Whether it is online or paper. I have been thinking of doing the same thing myself for about the last six months. If there are people serious enough to do this, then I am in. I used to be a proofreader and wouldn't mind helping out that way. I am not good at writing articles, but I wouldn't mind taking a shot at it.

Who is in charge? If no one is, then I am willing to get things going. Send me a quick PM or email and let's get cooking! And, if you just want to assist by giving advice, do the same thing (El D!). :D