• Pen
  • Swag
  • Bandaids
  • Tweezers (for micro/nano logs)
  • Water
  • Snacks
  • Walking stick
  • And other miscellaneous items

I have a Lumbar pack that stays next to the front door loaded with everything I need. I put the caches for the area I am headed towards in my GPSr and Palm the night before.

When you look for your first caches, just remember the GPSr might not bring you to the exact location. When you get about 30 feet away, put it away and just start looking for a likely hiding place. Look for something that is out of place. Starting out, it is better to look for Regular-size or Small, but not Micro containers. Those Micros can be pesky . . . and frustrating.

Have fun! :anicute:

If you'll be near your car then pack accordingly. Spare batteries, pens, baggies and notebooks are always handy as well as the prerequisite GPSr and swag. Even if you don't "believe" in trading items you'll sometimes come across an item you just have to have or find a cache that needs some help.

Longer hikes require more supplies, just apply the same rules as the hiking clubs or Scouts recommend and add in the GPSr, notebook, batteries and swag.

Always remember: You gotta carry it whether you need it or not but you can't use it if you don't have it.

Welcome to a fantastic hobby. :anicute:

To get the most enjoyment from it my recommendations are:

Do your homework on the caches that you would like to find first. Look at the postings (logs) of these caches. The more praises it got the more likely you will also enjoy the hunt. Go for regular or small but definately not Micro (which could even include Nano size). Go for the lower difficulty one's at first, the more sneaky ones are for later.

Remember to take the printout which should include at least the last ten logs.! With the hint decrypted!

Always enough WATER, more than enough is better!

Flashlight: to peek into darker hides. (even in daylight)

Extendable mirror: like auto-mech's. use to look into difficult hides.

Walking stick: to poke into holes and hides - there may be a snake in it. It will also help to feel under leave-cover for the cache.

Camera to record your new memories.

Pen and pencil.

Gerber type multi-tool.

If you don't find the cache, go and do the homework again, or contact the owner.

But the most important advice would be: TAKE ALONG YOUR COMMONSENSE, IF IT FEELS WRONG, DANGEROUS OR NO MORE FUN - DON'T DO IT. ( Geocaching should not be Fear Factor without a safety net. )

Enjoy it.

It's tough to come up with a comprehensive, one size fits all checklist because of all the different kinds of caches out there.

It all depends on the kinds of caches you are doing. For urban and suburban caches where you won't be far from your car all you need are your GPS and maybe a swag bag and some insect repellent.

If you are doing caches that are long hikes, you should always take everything you would need in case you have to spend the night.

Did anyone mention extra batteries? :blink:

Nothing worse than getting within a couple hundred feet of the cache and having the batteries die.(Been there done that)

My other problem is I carry too much and so I'll leave things in the car in an attempt to lighten my load, like the cache page printout, and I won't have it when I finally hike to the cache site and need that hint.

What you need really depends on where you go. I always want to be prepared for anything so I carry a ton of stuff, or at least it feels that way. One thing I like to bring are a pair of boots that I tie together and sling over my shoulder. I like hiking in sneakers, but those boots are great when I have to hike through muddy areas.

all great replies, don't think I have seen extra plastic bags listed for CITO!! you will be surprised even with the most reomote caches the trash you will find, so take a few grocery bags, and help keep things clean!

AND... yes... EXTRA Batteries!!! many a time you are gettig close to a cache and... ah.... nothing worse!

Really most important thing is: The adventure & fun!! maek ti fun! Enjoy the hunt, it's really not the cache but the challenge to find it!! Enjoy!! :blink:

I know this is an old post but I'm sure people still see it.

Most GPSr do not update the direction unless you are moving. Sometimes when there is tree cover or bad signal, it is not always accurate. I think a good old magnetic compass is a good tool to have.

There have also been a couple times that I wished I had some TP. I won't go into those stories though. Baby wipes are actually great in case of "emergencies," or for just cleaning your hands, face, etc.

I also bring hand sanitizer and gloves for when I'm digging around in leaves, dirt, etc.

Some caches may require some wading or just have some really wet ground. It doesn't hurt to throw some rubber boots in the trunk.

This is my complete list that I have been working on.

1. GPS

2. Pen

3. GPS cables (For running GPS from cigarette lighter and for uploading points from GSAK)

4. Laptop with points loaded (I use my laptop loaded with GSAK for paperless caching.) OR

5. Papers with waypoint info

6. Compass

7. Flashlights

8. Batteries

9. Rubber boots

10. Gloves

11. Screwdriver or something long and metal (For poking and digging)

12. Tweezers

13. First Aid/Bandaids

14. Water

15. Camera

16. Baby wipes or TP

17. SWAG (For trading)

18. Plastic bags for CITO

Geo-caching is an activity that gets attached to another activity.... such as hiking, biking... grocery shopping... etc. Just pack for the main activity, add your GPS and your set. Set with the basics, at-least. As you get more experienced you will decide what else might be worth bringing... swag, compass, magnet, string, duct-tape, etc.

1) GPS w/ GeoCaching capability, and extra batteries

2) iPhone (useful for those internet searches)

3) Bug spray (ticks suck)

4) Water (don't die)

5) Protein bars (don't starve)

6) Pen(s)

7) A little notebook for multis, notes, etc.; I also make a rough list of what I plan to do

8) ToT - magnetic collapsable stick thingy w/ light on the end

9) Extra logs of all sizes, small zip-locks, etc., to help those caches that need it

10) SWAG and trackables, to move them along

1) GPS w/ GeoCaching capability, and extra batteries

2) iPhone (useful for those internet searches)

3) Bug spray (ticks suck)

4) Water (don't die)

5) Protein bars (don't starve)

6) Pen(s)

7) A little notebook for multis, notes, etc.; I also make a rough list of what I plan to do

8) ToT - magnetic collapsable stick thingy w/ light on the end

9) Extra logs of all sizes, small zip-locks, etc., to help those caches that need it

10) SWAG and trackables, to move them along

>>>> the " ten essentials " plus the geo related goodies.

Many sporting goods outlets / stores have information regarding the " ten Essentials " >>>> Of course you folks in the Scouting Program have a leg up on the " ten essentials "

Depends on how far you'll be from your car. When I first started I had a pack full of stuff to use, but slowly things have been weeded out. Now I carry a pack with at least:

* Our caching name stickers

* Pens/pencils

* Spare batteries

* Camera

* GPS

* A few trade items

* Mirror

* Extra ziploc bags

* Notepad to log the order we did caches

* List of caches

Edited by anakerose