Parking Waypoints

1. Your post is disrespectful to the person you directed it to.

2. It is an acronym/abbreviation for profanity.

3. It flat out is a personal attack.

Perhaps not the best place to bring this up, but that is best described as a 'vulgarity'. "Profanity", derivationally, and to most people (at least before the weakening of the English language) refers to things of an irreligious nature. Webster's Unabridged: Profane " L. profanus ... Before a temple. Hence, not sacred, common. Definitions being entirely of a irreligious nature.

Profanity? Definitely not. Vulgarity? Definitely. Other than that, all points well presented and taken.

So you're ranting about a "fabricated issue?"

What does it matter? If the details were fabricated the issue still exists. (Whether or not anyone feels it is an important issue/problem is another issue.) I dont care either way.

I can dig up caches i think may apply but what would be the point of that?

Please stop being a PITA.

And with this I am done with this person. Life is to short.

Main Entry: pro·fan·i·ty

Pronunciation: prO-'fa-n&-tE, pr&-

Function: noun

Inflected Form(s): plural -ties

1 a : the quality or state of being profane b : the use of profane language

2 a : profane language b : an utterance of profane language

Main Entry: pro·fane

Pronunciation: prO-'fAn, pr&-

Function: transitive verb

Inflected Form(s): pro·faned; pro·fan·ing

Etymology: Middle English prophanen, from Anglo-French prophaner, from Latin profanare, from profanus

1 : to treat (something sacred) with abuse, irreverence, or contempt : DESECRATE

2 : to debase by a wrong, unworthy, or vulgar use

Part 2 of the definition does not relate to "something sacred". Part one of the word debase is the important part of what he was trying to do in my opinion.

And this probably was the wrong place to bring it up. Please do it in private messaging and please stay on topic.

I typically post parking coords because for me the real fun starts after you park. ;)

Yes, well, we could have used some coordinates for Coins in the Cleft. We drove in circles for hours while looking for parking for that one :anicute: !

;) It's nice when the cache is at a scenic overlook!

If I think there is any question about the trailhead, I like to give parking coordinates for my caches. Recently, I have even placed caches near the correct parking as a sure-fire guide to the right location. :anicute:

Driving around unfamiliar areas looking for parking is not part of the fun for me, especially when I am traveling. In the small town of Montrose, CO, I drove around for more than half an hour, covering 15 miles, and never did figure out how to access the cache location . . . ;) And, I had a map on my GPSr . . . ;)

Driving around unfamiliar areas looking for parking is not part of the fun for me, especially when I am traveling. In the small town of Montrose, CO, I drove around for more than half an hour, covering 15 miles, and never did figure out how to access the cache location . . . ;) And, I had a map on my GPSr . . . ;)

I think that's part of the problem -- people like you and I with auto-routing GPSr's tend to rely on the GPS to get us to the right parking spot. For urban quickie caches, that's not an issue. But for any cache requiring a hike a good distance away from a road, parking coords are important. Otherwise the "stupid" GPSr will take us to the road closest to the cache -- which is very often NOT the correct approach. Then we're stuck trying to figure out where to go to park the car so the hike (and the FUN part of caching) can begin. I have to wonder how many of the folks who say "it's all part of the challenge" actually hunt for caches placed any distance from a road. If all you hunt are urban caches or roadside quickies, parking coordinates aren't necessary and parking isn't a challenge at all.

Edited by DocDiTTo

I have to wonder how many of the folks who say "it's all part of the challenge" actually hunt for caches placed any distance from a road. If all you hunt are urban caches or roadside quickies, parking coordinates aren't necessary and parking isn't a challenge at all.

I was going to say the same thing DocDitto, fine point.

In hunting for a parking spot, how many times has the GPSr tried to get you to go on a non-existing road?

Yep, it has happened to us. I don't know how this happens, but it has happened a couple of times.

Parking coordinates are handy, but since I DO read the cache page, I also like parking suggestions on the cache page.

I find caches that are deep in the woods often. I have no problem with searching out a parking spot! Since I used to write all the cache info down and used an etrex, I didn't worry about parking coords. Now, even with my Explorist 500LE, I still just download and go.

I do recall some fun times driving in circles and muttering to the co-pilot...but those are fun memories of an adventure!

I have to wonder how many of the folks who say "it's all part of the challenge" actually hunt for caches placed any distance from a road. If all you hunt are urban caches or roadside quickies, parking coordinates aren't necessary and parking isn't a challenge at all.
Too bad it's not accurate. For instance, my understanding of Brian's caches and preferred finds is that they generally require a hike. Yet, he posted this pearl:
I'm in the 'finding parking is part of the adventure' crowd. Heck, getting TO the cache area is part of the adventure.
Me too. I don't need someone to hold my hand. Finding parking, planning the route are all a part of the hunt.

The only time I use parking coordinates for my listings is if there is private property I want to steer people away from, or if I want the searchers to approach from a certain direction.

Edited by sbell111

I hunt any and all caches. I love going for a quick urban cache or two when I don't have the time for a longer hike. I love going out into the middle of nowhere to find the one cache in the miles the wilderness all around. I don't care which type I'm going after, I could care less about parking coords. I agree that finding the right spot to start the real hunt is just one more fun part of the hunt.

The only one of my hides I have put parking coords on is the one where folks really didn't know where they could park. It's near two busy roads in a small greenbelt. The only parking nearby is the hospital parking area. Some of the cachers voiced concerns because the free parking nearby is not at all obvious. I felt it best to help out so that no one tried to park on the road or illegally in the fee parking and got their car towed. I must admit for some time I didn't have parking coords on it, and I really had to think before I put them on. I too feel it's part of the hunt.

Having said that, when I am hunting for urban caches I pay attention to the coords given just in case the most obvious approach were to take me through private property or such. I figure that the owner had a reason for posting them.

Here's a question: if finding parking is in fact part of the hunt, shouldn't it be included in the difficulty rating? It seems to me it should, especially if it requires significant planning and navigating the streets of a small mountain town for two hours.

Edited by Dinoprophet

Here's a question: if finding parking is in fact part of the hunt, shouldn't it be included in the difficulty rating? It seems to me it should, especially if it requires significant planning and navigating the streets of a small mountain town for two hours.

I that case all your caches should be rated 4 or 5 because it requires special equipment (a car, plane, etc...) and an overnight stay for me to come find them. ;);)

I understand what you're saying, but if you notice in my post I said that

I agree that finding the right spot to start the real hunt is just one more fun part of the hunt.

I don't think of finding parking as part of the hunt for "the cache". It's part of the whole adventure of caching, just like the 2 or 3 hour drive up the mountain to the small town from the plains below. One of the reasons I love caching is it gets me out to see so many new things and new views.

Just my personal feelings on the matter. Not an endorsement for or against anything. If parking coords were required, it wouldn't really bother me. If they were made done away with, it really wouldn't bother me.

Too bad it's not accurate. For instance, my understanding of Brian's caches and preferred finds is that they generally require a hike. Yet, he posted this pearl:
I'm in the 'finding parking is part of the adventure' crowd. Heck, getting TO the cache area is part of the adventure.
Me too. I don't need someone to hold my hand. Finding parking, planning the route are all a part of the hunt.

The only time I use parking coordinates for my listings is if there is private property I want to steer people away from, or if I want the searchers to approach from a certain direction.

There are exceptions to every generalization, mine included. When I see people with thousands of finds (and most of the recent ones being micros) arguing that "parking is part of the challenge" then it's obvious I don't cache the same way as them and their idea of "challenging parking" might very well be finding an open parking space on a busy street. Not exactly the same as trying to locate a miniscule trailhead and 2 vehicle-sized pull off miles back a dirt road in the woods.

Why dont more people post them? It has happened more than once that we have been in a totally unfamiliar area to us and the description reads something like:

"Park in the lot #2 north of the Nature center"

or

"Park North of Lee Rd on W side of Rd 183"

If i knew the area it wouldnt be a problem. Where is the Nature center? What about users who dont have maps at the time and dont have them in their GPS?

It would just seem courteous to me that others would add parking waypoints to their descriptions. I know logs sometimes have them- but that doesnt mean the description will.

In all fairness many caches we have done have great parking waypoints and it makes the day much more enjoyable and efficient.

But those that dont... ;)

;)

Just wait until you bushwhack your first 150 yards of terrain only to arrive 30 feet from ground zero and find out "hey...there is a path here".

There are exceptions to every generalization, mine included. When I see people with thousands of finds (and most of the recent ones being micros) arguing that "parking is part of the challenge" then it's obvious I don't cache the same way as them and their idea of "challenging parking" might very well be finding an open parking space on a busy street. Not exactly the same as trying to locate a miniscule trailhead and 2 vehicle-sized pull off miles back a dirt road in the woods.

I can't argue with you they're not the same, but exploring that back road, and for that matter the research before I left home is part of the fun for me. I learned to cache in Alaska. There you have caches in the middle of vast areas of wilderness. Finding the right trail or trails, locating the best area for your approach before you head out and then taking that information and putting on to the real terrain was part and parcel of caching. It got you to experience things and learn things that you would not have otherwise.

Whether driving around the neighborhood a few times looking for the way into that pocket park or cruising the back roads looking for a trailhead, I find it fun. Maybe you don't, but that's just me. I'm in it for the adventure.

I think maybe it's that some people have to go out and find 15 caches between 2 pm and 5pm, and they get all upset when they get off schedule. I always take more than I can do with me. If I stop having fun I go home. Why get bent out of shape for something that is supposed to be fun?

I think maybe it's that some people have to go out and find 15 caches between 2 pm and 5pm, and they get all upset when they get off schedule. I always take more than I can do with me. If I stop having fun I go home. Why get bent out of shape for something that is supposed to be fun?

I could care less about numbers. We do it for the same reasons you mentioned. I dont mind driving from cache to cache but once we get there or at least close by, its more fun (to us) to go find the cache, than to drive around looking to park. Thats just us.

We load our system full of caches and just drive. If we get 3 in a day great. It doesnt matter to us in the least. When we don't want to do it anymore- we go home.

Its become apparent that some people like them and some dont. And some like them only in certain circumstances.

Maybe it should be like the hint is- and extra bit of info- if you wish to use, that can help you if you choose to use it to park. Of course i dont think it should be coded.

The caches I've placed all have well defined parking. 3 of them because the campground they're located at doesn't want cars parked in random spots. That said, I've had some caches that I've really enjoyed driving around looking for parking, and others where it is just plain irritating.

Did anyone else find it ironic that DocDitto got dittoed? ;)

;)

Just me? Oh... :anicute:

Maybe it should be like the hint is- and extra bit of info- if you wish to use, that can help you if you choose to use it to park. Of course i dont think it should be coded.

Are you trying to say it should be required as an additional waypoint on ALL caches? ;)

Because the way it works now is that it is an "extra bit" is added to the bottom of the cache page and sent as a waypoint if you chose to enter a parking waypoint on the cache page.

See this example.

I could care less about numbers. We do it for the same reasons you mentioned. I dont mind driving from cache to cache but once we get there or at least close by, its more fun (to us) to go find the cache, than to drive around looking to park. Thats just us.

We load our system full of caches and just drive. If we get 3 in a day great. It doesnt matter to us in the least. When we don't want to do it anymore- we go home.

Its become apparent that some people like them and some dont. And some like them only in certain circumstances.

Ok, and you have made your point more than once in this thread.

I don't see his posts Doc (but do since you quoted it). Twisting of words as usual. The statement was "I have to wonder how many of the folks who say it's all part of the challenge actually hunt for caches placed any distance from a road." Nothing to do with the great Briansnat, or his opinion on the matter.

The caches I've placed all have well defined parking. 3 of them because the campground they're located at doesn't want cars parked in random spots. That said, I've had some caches that I've really enjoyed driving around looking for parking, and others where it is just plain irritating.

That is good use of the waypoint for parking. In case like that I like to see it.

I guess my stance is, if it's needed because there is a true issue with parking, post it, otherwise..... whatever.

Are you trying to say it should be required as an additional waypoint on ALL caches? ;)

Because the way it works now is that it is an "extra bit" is added to the bottom of the cache page and sent as a waypoint if you chose to enter a parking waypoint on the cache page.

See this example.

I really dont know. It would be irritating if it was required, but if it wasnt then people would only sometimes use it. I have no answers.

Has that feature been around since this site started? The only reason i ask is because we have done some that included the parking coords, just not in that format. We have also done some with the format- which is more helpful because its easier to load in your GPS.

I'll take the center and say that if people are going to post this much info into the text, taking the time to give coords would be appreciated.

I think to sum all up about my original point was what is stated above. That pretty much covers what i was ranting about.

Ok, and you have made your point more than once in this thread.

They have a right to post there feelings in this topic. I thought the post you quoted was a well written one, more than taking into account my in-topic warnings.

Take a deep breath. The topic is getting back to a good discussion.

I think that's part of the problem -- people like you and I with auto-routing GPSr's tend to rely on the GPS to get us to the right parking spot. For urban quickie caches, that's not an issue. But for any cache requiring a hike a good distance away from a road, parking coords are important. Otherwise the "stupid" GPSr will take us to the road closest to the cache -- which is very often NOT the correct approach. Then we're stuck trying to figure out where to go to park the car so the hike (and the FUN part of caching) can begin. I have to wonder how many of the folks who say "it's all part of the challenge" actually hunt for caches placed any distance from a road. If all you hunt are urban caches or roadside quickies, parking coordinates aren't necessary and parking isn't a challenge at all.

Fair point. When I use routing to get me to a GPS I turn off the routing as I get close and then go to the rubber band map. From there it's half what the GPS is showing me and half what I'm seeing on the ground. Every now and then I still end up on the Interstate looking at a pocket park... But most of the time I do ok.

Then the question is whether all cache hiders should be required to hold our hands/fins every step of the way? Park here. Take this trail. Then take that trail.

I don't do paperless. I plan my caches for the day, print out the pages, and check Google Maps for the terrain. I do pretty well this way.

Yes. It is part of the game. And I have done some caches pretty far off the road. Twelve mile round trip on the AT for three caches. The two we found on the Presi Transverse were coincidental. Twenty-four miles with nine thousand feet of climb. Thanks, but I plan these things out beforehand.

If a parking spot is listed, I will take advantage of that. And I do list parking coordinates for many of mine.

Do I think less of a cache hider for not providing them? Not in the slightest! It's part of the game. I do not expect a map of the area with the best way to find the cache mapped out.

If I think there is any question about the trailhead, I like to give parking coordinates for my caches. Recently, I have even placed caches near the correct parking as a sure-fire guide to the right location. ;)

Yes, well, with your cache, Reclaimed Treasure of Manny A. Cacher (GCXJNY), we did not use the parking coordinates and missed the trailhead completely...twice, if you count the older cache that it essentially replaced. Lost an entire day on the second attempt, and almost got stuck in a snowstorm. About three miles into the hike we discovered we were on the wrong mountain ridge entirely. I remember looking over at the correct ridge and thinking, "Oh, darn, now I have to go on another hike (big sigh)." :D Seriously, that was an awesome cache to go after. The hunt for the correct trailhead was a big part of the experience, too.

(emphasis added)

I think this is where we differ: you expect to go from cache to cache.

Although I think that sums it up, I'll just add that taking several days just to figure out how to get to one cache just makes me want it more. The one day when I finally get it right and arrive on the spot is just a beautiful moment. We can agree to disagree, though, because although I can ignore your posted coordinates, you can't ignore my lack of coordinates ;) .

I think parking co-ordinates should be posted for every cache where there is a real possibility cachers will unknowingly tresspass, IE parling in a private lot or whatever. I put co-ordinates on my three hides because A: I don't want people driving across my pasture or getting stuck in the mud, I may do it, you may not. And B: I don't want them parking in the my driveway, it wouldn't bother ME, but I'm not the only one living here, and most cachers wouldn't like doing it anyway. Since I do have a preference where they park I would hope cachers will honor my request.

;)

While I agree that posting parking coords could be handy in SOME situations, I very rarely use them. First off, when I pull up a cache on my GPSr, I usually don't even realize there ARE parking coords. I like the "driving around in circles" part of the game, and it has become a brunt of many jokes amongst me and the person I cache with most. HOWEVER, there have been MANY times that we have gone after caches in parks placed in the middle of sub-divisions, behind rows and rows of houses. I would VERY much like to see parking coords used on those, as the only parking available is smack dab in front of someones house. How am I to know that the house that I choose to park in front of isn't the local parking police of the neighborhood?

I totally agree with the above. For most caches parking coordinates are not needed. But I ran recently encountered a situation like the above, where the cache areas was a wooden area surrounded by housing and it was not clear where I could safely park and access the area without tresspassing across someones property. I stopped at one possible access point and kids and I got out and immediately heard loud dog barking for one of the nearby houses. Made a quick retreat and will never return. Its just not worth the hassle to find a cache. Geocaching is supposed to be enjoyable and worrying about parking issues just isn;t fun.

For my caches, unless it is obvious or not a concern, I give recommendations on a safe parking location, as I don't want to have anyone run into trouble on my caches. I want the challenge to be finding the cache not finding a parking space.

Driving around unfamiliar areas looking for parking is not part of the fun for me, especially when I am traveling. In the small town of Montrose, CO, I drove around for more than half an hour, covering 15 miles, and never did figure out how to access the cache location . . . :D And, I had a map on my GPSr . . . ;)

Odd,most all of the caches that I've had the hardest time figuring out how the heck to get to them have all been urban.

Here's an old one of mine that didn't have parking coords, for the simple reason I wanted them to get frustrated and then maybe they might take the time to check caches out on google map or USPhotomap.And if you read the logs there were some unhappy people looking for it. but others knew where to go, they just didn't know which end to enter from ;) I finally gave out more info on it be fore I adopted it out and the new owner made it a pmo

A lot of the time just finding parking is the fun of the cache

And sometimes the parking coords are not the best or the closets to the cache.

In my early days of caching I hiked many an extra mile because I used suggested parking. I learned to check the cache out mainly using usphotomaps

it saved me a lot of wear and tear on my boots.

It can be irritating hike a couple of miles to find the cache is a couple hundred yards from a perfect parking area ;)

Edited by vagabond

Here's an old one of mine that didn't have parking coords, for the simple reason I wanted them to get frustrated and then maybe they might take the time to check caches out on google map or USPhotomap.And if you read the logs there were some unhappy people looking for it. but others knew where to go, they just didn't know which end to enter from :( I finally gave out more info on it be fore I adopted it out and the new owner made it a pmo

A lot of the time just finding parking is the fun of the cache

Hmm... Reading the hint (Cnex ng gur fbhgu raq vg' rnfvre sebz gung raq) reminded me of this thread. :cool:

Odd,most all of the caches that I've had the hardest time figuring out how the heck to get to them have all been urban.

I agree with the above, Out in woods, pulling off the road to park is not a problem and I will check Google Earth and the USGS topos to find the best route in. The difficulty is in suburban and urban areas where you know you are close, but there is no obvious legal access or parking. As a courtesy for sites where this may be an issue, coordinates should be provided, which can be ignored if you seek the challenge of finding a parking area on your own.

I once posted a complaint about a lack of parking coordinates. I was soundly scolded and made to feel like a fool. :blink:

Actually I'm posting now because I purposely left out parking coordinates on one of my recent hides. I mentioned the fact that this particular part of GSP (Gunpowder State Park) was off of Jones road, but I had blundered upon this area by accident and didn't want to make it too easy. No worries, a helpful cacher posted parking coordinates in their online log.

Anyway, I guess you can count me among the converted. Parking coordinates are great, but sometimes they are left out to make it a little more challenging. :D