Parking Waypoints

Why dont more people post them? It has happened more than once that we have been in a totally unfamiliar area to us and the description reads something like:

"Park in the lot #2 north of the Nature center"

or

"Park North of Lee Rd on W side of Rd 183"

If i knew the area it wouldnt be a problem. Where is the Nature center? What about users who dont have maps at the time and dont have them in their GPS?

It would just seem courteous to me that others would add parking waypoints to their descriptions. I know logs sometimes have them- but that doesnt mean the description will.

In all fairness many caches we have done have great parking waypoints and it makes the day much more enjoyable and efficient.

But those that dont... :mad:

To me finding good parking is part of the adventure. I only include parking coordinates where it is necessary to avoid getting a cacher in trouble with private property and such.

Also, don't assume that parking coordinates are always the best approach. I went to one in Colorado that had parking coordinates .75 miles from the cache location. On the way to those coordinates, we found perfectly good parking just .2 miles from the cache. Not sure why the owner gave us parking so much further away. I have seen similar on 2 localo hides as well.

I guess to each his own. I would rather be out in nature than driving around in a car with fighting kids while everyone is grumpy that we keep going in circles.

I guess the ones that irritate me the most is when they tell you where to park- but give you no coords. Like you know the area.

I guess to each his own. I would rather be out in nature than driving around in a car with fighting kids while everyone is grumpy that we keep going in circles.

I guess the ones that irritate me the most is when they tell you where to park- but give you no coords. Like you know the area.

I'm in the 'finding parking is part of the adventure' crowd. Heck, getting TO the cache area is part of the adventure. I have a 60CSx with autorouting and all of the maps, but when I'm on a cache run, I won't let it autoroute. I'll pull up the compass and strictly follow the arrow. Well, not strictly...rural roads here are on a 1 mile grid, so I pick a paved road and head out on that until the arrow is almost perpendicular to my current line of travel, then turn that way on the next closest road.

Most caches around here are hidden in county or town parks, and parking is fairly obvious. However, there have been times where I have parked within 0.7 of the cache, hiked 0.5 in, realized that there was no way I was on the correct route, hiked BACK to the truck, driven around to the other side and parked 20 feet away from the cache.

Or this last weekend, parked 0.15 from the cache, bushwacked 400 feet only to find a river nearly out of it's banks. Bushwacked another 300 ft to the highway (with a dog, mind you), crossed the road bridge to find the parking lot I SHOULD have parked at on the other side of the river. 120 feet from the cache. (and 50 feet below the cache). Found the cache, and enjoyed the nice quarter-mile hike back to the truck-on the road this time. It's all part of the adventure.

Parking IS part of the adventure...even if someone does post parking coords, I still don't use them unless it's stated that you MUST park there (and then I may still not depending on the area and such). I have been to caches where I've circled repeatedly.

If you think this is a problem, map out the areas on GE before heading out.

I appreciate when cache owners post parking coordinates, because I don't like wasting gas and time trying to find a place for my car that allows access to an area. Many times roads on maps are gated and it can be extremely frustrating not knowing whether a road will provide a way into an area or not. One trick I've learned is to use is aerial photos and topo maps - I can see on them where a cache is, as well as any roads or trails that might be nearby, and I can usually determine parking coords with them. Not knowing the area it's a shot in the dark, but it usually helps. Reading the logs of prior finders sometimes turns up good places to park too.

Parking is, unfortunately, part of the equation. I don't find it a fun part of the "game", but a necessary evil I need to deal with. And I use everything in my power to make sure that I get parked in the right place the first time so I can spend time on the part of the game I DO enjoy (the part outside of the car).

Most of the time, I don't care. But I've done caches in other states where I wouldn't have been able to even start the hunt without parking instructions. In one case, only with the given parking instructions was I sure that it was even safe/legal to park there, assuming I could even find the spot. I'd have missed what's perhaps my all-time favorite cache.

Also, don't assume that parking coordinates are always the best approach. I went to one in Colorado that had parking coordinates .75 miles from the cache location. On the way to those coordinates, we found perfectly good parking just .2 miles from the cache. Not sure why the owner gave us parking so much further away. I have seen similar on 2 localo hides as well.

Maybe the hike from the other spot was better. Shortest doesn't always mean best! :mad:

Or maybe they don't know about the closer parking, as happened with one of my hides.

Edited by Dinoprophet

Bleh. Geocaching is not about driving around looking for a parking spot. If correct parking is non-obvious, mention it.

That said, good parking is usually reasonably obvious, and I don't include it. OTOH, for hiking caches it's good form to mention the appropriate trailhead since these can be terribly non-obvious.

I agree that finding parking is a big part of the adventure... however, in some cases pointing out parking could be useful.

When the cache description says "short walk to the cache" but the nearest public parking is over a mile away, then parking advice would be appreciated.

This weekend I had several caches lined up to find... however, I ended up dropping several of them as the park they were in was surrounded by housing. I don't much care for parking in front of someones house and walking through their yards to get to the park.

"Park in the lot #2 north of the Nature center"

or

"Park North of Lee Rd on W side of Rd 183"

I'll take the center and say that if people are going to post this much info into the text, taking the time to give coords would be appreciated.

However, if they choose to post none, that's okay too.

This weekend I had several caches lined up to find... however, I ended up dropping several of them as the park they were in was surrounded by housing. I don't much care for parking in front of someones house and walking through their yards to get to the park.

Are you saying there was no public parking for this park? No trail to get in there, either? No access other than through someone's yard? Doesn't sound like a public park to me, then...

I'll take the center and say that if people are going to post this much info into the text, taking the time to give coords would be appreciated.

Thats really all i meant. Most caches are fine with no coords, but try to help your fellow cacher out.

I have kids and we like walking. But unless its a great area and a nice day i dont want to be walking somewhere or bushwacking when i could be finding a cache and letting the kids find their prizes.

Thats really all i meant. Most caches are fine with no coords, but try to help your fellow cacher out.

I have kids and we like walking. But unless its a great area and a nice day i dont want to be walking somewhere or bushwacking when i could be finding a cache and letting the kids find their prizes.

I guess that I kind of get what you are saying, but it seems to me that the cache owners were trying to help you out. Sure, they didn't meet your expectations, but they tried to help you.
I guess that I kind of get what you are saying, but it seems to me that the cache owners were trying to help you out. Sure, they didn't meet your expectations, but they tried to help you.

Yeah that makes sense too. My examples were entirely made up. So im not picking on any one cache or owner.

This was a rant. Not really a question. If it was a question i would have searched before posting as i always do. :D

The linked thread directly applies to your "rant." Didn't you expect other people to respond to your thread? Or were you hoping everyone would agree, but not post?

Yeah that makes sense too. My examples were entirely made up.So im not picking on any one cache or owner.

So you're ranting about a "fabricated issue?"

Edited by Kit Fox

The linked thread directly applies to your "rant." Didn't you expect other people to respond to your thread? Or were you hoping everyone would agree, but not post?

Sure it applies. So what? People can respond as they wish. Its ok with me if they agree or disagree. I wasnt searching for an answer to a question. I was ranting about something that I didnt care for.

I wasnt asking for anything. Any questions were rhetorical.

Would you rather i just used the old thread? Is that your beef?

What does it matter? If the details were fabricated the issue still exists. (Whether or not anyone feels it is an important issue/problem is another issue.) I dont care either way.

I can dig up caches i think may apply but what would be the point of that?

Please stop being a PITA.

What does it matter? If the details were fabricated the issue still exists. (Whether or not anyone feels it is an important issue/problem is another issue.) I dont care either way.

I can dig up caches i think may apply but what would be the point of that?

I think they spell it PETA.

Geez. I guess no one reads. I never said that all caches need parking coords. But if someone takes the time to make info on where to park- it would be a little more handy to have coords if you dont know the area.

What difference does it make if anyone agrees or disagrees? Its not gonna change a thing.

I think Parking coords are best if there may be an issue with trasspassing by accident from coming in the wrong direction, or in a situation where it will make getting to the cache safer than by finding yourself a spot.

In addition to that, use the "add waypoint" feature instead of only putting it in the description. Many like myself don't always read the cache pages, but do have additional waypoints loaded into the GPS.

Personally, the game to me is not trying to find parking, it's trying to find a cache, the less trouble it is for me to find a place to park the truck, the more relaxed I will be. Any info from the cache owner to make the transition from truck to on foot easier is appriciated.

Geez. I guess no one reads. I never said that all caches need parking coords. But if someone takes the time to make info on where to park- it would be a little more handy to have coords if you dont know the area.

What difference does it make if anyone agrees or disagrees? Its not gonna change a thing.

Actually (man that's a great word) It's been suggetsed that somehow parking coordintes be included as waypoints in PQ's or cache LOC files, so you have them handy in your GPS when you are out cruising around looking for caches.

While I don't really provide them often, or pay attention to them when they are...when I do provide them I'd like them used. Plus when I realize that I'm lost and it's time to RTFCP (Related to RTFM) It would be nice to have a waypoint ready to go.

...In addition to that, use the "add waypoint" feature instead of only putting it in the description. Many like myself don't always read the cache pages, but do have additional waypoints loaded into the GPS....

Does that stick the extra waypoint into the GPS? I've not seen this in action yet.

Yes, they come in with your PQ. GSAK recgonizes them and you can set it to send them to the GPS with the caches. You can customize the icon as well, mine is a car.

I have a two and a five year old, and I understand your feelings about having trouble finding parking, while dealing with fussy/ fighting kids in the car seats. I've skipped dozens of caches where a legitimate parking spot was not readily apparent. I had 499 other waypoints programmed into my GPS that I could seek instead.

If a cache looks like it's going to be a hassle to find, or to access it, just skip it. Too many cachers get fixated on this notion that they have to find every cache that pops uo on their GPS. Look for caches without these issues. If your GPS doesn't have good road maps try AAA or even the Thomas Guide. Planning out a trip, and having everything ready is far easier than "caching on a whim," with little ones.

I've experienced the kid crying induced migraines, so I know where your coming from. :mad:

Edited by Kit Fox
Geez. I guess no one reads.
Kind of like people that don't read the forum guidelines, huh. :mad:

I never said that all caches need parking coords. But if someone takes the time to make info on where to park- it would be a little more handy to have coords if you dont know the area.
I just came back from Minnesota and Washington state. Later this week I will be in Pittsburgh. I travel all the time. I might find your cache at some point. I guess what I was saying is that you could lead by example.

...In addition to that, use the "add waypoint" feature instead of only putting it in the description. Many like myself don't always read the cache pages, but do have additional waypoints loaded into the GPS....

Does that stick the extra waypoint into the GPS? I've not seen this in action yet.

Yes, they come in with your PQ. GSAK recgonizes them and you can set it to send them to the GPS with the caches. You can customize the icon as well, mine is a car.

Here's an example of the parking coords as a waypoint.

Edit: Forgot the link :mad:

Edited by Totem Clan

Yes, they come in with your PQ.

Correct. All the additional waypoints associated with any cache retrieved in a PQ get passed in a second GPX file that is identified with the text "-wpts" in the file name.

...Correct. All the additional waypoints associated with any cache retrieved in a PQ get passed in a second GPX file that is identified with the text "-wpts" in the file name.

Excellent. I had alwasy thought that second was just a "waypoint & coordinate only" version of the main GPX. Not the parking coords. Since I don't use GSAK for loading my GPS and tracking active caches I never really noticed anything special about the file.

Edited by Renegade Knight

...Correct. All the additional waypoints associated with any cache retrieved in a PQ get passed in a second GPX file that is identified with the text "-wpts" in the file name.

Excellent. I had alwasy thought that second was just a "waypoint & coordinate only" version of the main GPX. Not the parking coords. Since I don't use GSAK for loading my GPS and tracking active caches I never really noticed anything special about the file.

I suspect that many people don't realize that the extra waypoints are passed along in PQs. Perhaps that's one of the reasons more people don't make use of them.

I suspect that many people don't realize that the extra waypoints are passed along in PQs. Perhaps that's one of the reasons more people don't make use of them.

What's interesting, is when you download the GPX file from the page, the additional waypoints are included in the one file. This also puts them on the cache page when downloading them from GSAK (to the PDA or such).

I have a two and a five year old, and I understand your feelings about having trouble finding parking, while dealing with fussy/ fighting kids in the car seats. I've skipped dozens of caches where a legitimate parking spot was not readily apparent. I had 499 other waypoints programmed into my GPS that I could seek instead.

If a cache looks like it's going to be a hassle to find, or to access it, just skip it. Too many cachers get fixated on this notion that they have to find every cache that pops uo on their GPS. Look for caches without these issues. If your GPS doesn't have good road maps try AAA or even the Thomas Guide. Planning out a trip, and having everything ready is far easier than "caching on a whim," with little ones.

I've experienced the kid crying induced migraines, so I know where your coming from. :mad:

We have skipped those caches where it seems to be a pain or at least more than we want to deal with at the time. Depending on your location though- the next cache may be miles and miles away.

Geez. I guess no one reads.
Kind of like people that don't read the forum guidelines, huh. :mad:

I never said that all caches need parking coords. But if someone takes the time to make info on where to park- it would be a little more handy to have coords if you dont know the area.
I just came back from Minnesota and Washington state. Later this week I will be in Pittsburgh. I travel all the time. I might find your cache at some point. I guess what I was saying is that you could lead by example.

What makles you think i havent read them? I didnt violate them. :D

Our cache has parking within 12 feet of cache. If you feel it is necessary then i will add a waypoint.

Again- i never said all caches should have them, nor do they need them.

I'm in the 'finding parking is part of the adventure' crowd. Heck, getting TO the cache area is part of the adventure.

Me too. I don't need someone to hold my hand. Finding parking, planning the route are all a part of the hunt.

The only time I use parking coordinates for my listings is if there is private property I want to steer people away from, or if I want the searchers to approach from a certain direction.

While I agree that posting parking coords could be handy in SOME situations, I very rarely use them. First off, when I pull up a cache on my GPSr, I usually don't even realize there ARE parking coords. I like the "driving around in circles" part of the game, and it has become a brunt of many jokes amongst me and the person I cache with most. HOWEVER, there have been MANY times that we have gone after caches in parks placed in the middle of sub-divisions, behind rows and rows of houses. I would VERY much like to see parking coords used on those, as the only parking available is smack dab in front of someones house. How am I to know that the house that I choose to park in front of isn't the local parking police of the neighborhood?

What makles you think i havent read them? I didnt violate them. :mad:
Well, maybe if you read my post, you would understand. Let me make part of it bold for you.

I think your current avatar can be used to sum up my feelings regarding what I've quoted from your post.

d27202fa-7a38-422f-9498-ea5574fbeec6.jpg

If you don't want opinions, don't start topics. What I quoted is uncalled for.

You hit the big three with that post. From the guidelines:

Respect: Respect the guidelines for forum usage, and site usage. Respect Groundspeak, its employees, volunteers, yourself, fellow community members, and guests on these boards. Whether a community member has one post or 5,000 posts, they deserve the same respect.

Foul Language and obscene images will not be tolerated. This site is family friendly, and all posts and posters must respect the integrity of the site.

Personal Attacks and Flames will not be tolerated. If you want to praise or criticize, give examples as to why it is good or bad, general attacks on a person or idea will not be tolerated.

1. Your post is disrespectful to the person you directed it to.

2. It is an acronym/abbreviation for profanity.

3. It flat out is a personal attack.

I agree that you sound angry in this topic. You have used this emoticon twice so far >> :D <<. That equates to "mad". I tried to be nice and somewhat comical in my in-topic friendly reminder. Next time I will simply spike your warning meter. If you have further questions, send me a PM.

Are you saying there was no public parking for this park? No trail to get in there, either? No access other than through someone's yard? Doesn't sound like a public park to me, then...

There was, but it wasn't the short walk to the cache as indicated on the cache page. Unless of course a short walk is approximately 1 mile. I guess some could consider that a short walk, but I don't.

The public park is approximately 4 miles north-south, and 1/2 east-west. Public parking at the north and south ends, housing areas on the east and west sides.