GPS theft

I watched an item on Meridian news this morning concerning a spate of GPS thefts from cars in the south. The thieves are apparently using bluetooth mobile phones to locate the GPS units in cars (hidden under seats, glovebox etc) and then breaking in and stealing them.

What I am wondering is, doesn't the bluetooth in the GPSr go off when the unit is turned off?

I watched an item on Meridian news this morning concerning a spate of GPS thefts from cars in the south. The thieves are apparently using bluetooth mobile phones to locate the GPS units in cars (hidden under seats, glovebox etc) and then breaking in and stealing them.

What I am wondering is, doesn't the bluetooth in the GPSr go off when the unit is turned off?

I'd think they should go off, only one way to know for sure, though, test!

I have the Holox BT321, (great unit btw) and this powers down after 5 mins of loss of bluetooth signal. If the thieves watch you walk away, they can then scan before the power down but I manually turn it off every time I leave the car.

I use it with the Ipaq HX4700 and always take this with me.

Edited by Jimblonduk

Wasn't this one of those US urban myths about 6 months ago? Surprised it's made it to the mainstream news here....

Since when did anybody have a bluetooth receiver accurate enough to pinpoint (a) where abouts in a car a bt device would be, or (:ph34r: even which car it was in? Surely they're far more likely to just target cars with stuck on screen and dashboard mounts, on the off chance that there's a navigator in there....?

Wasn't this one of those US urban myths about 6 months ago? Surprised it's made it to the mainstream news here....

Since when did anybody have a bluetooth receiver accurate enough to pinpoint (a) where abouts in a car a bt device would be, or ( :ph34r: even which car it was in? Surely they're far more likely to just target cars with stuck on screen and dashboard mounts, on the off chance that there's a navigator in there....?

Think I'll try a blue tooth scan at the next meet just to see if it is possible to narrow it down to which cars have BT devices in them.

Another similar thread here with BBC link

:ph34r:

Please correct me if I am wrong (and I am sure someone will...) :ph34r::ph34r::D

As long as you turn your GPS off then it's no more sensitive to DF equipment than a bag of chips.

Jon

Well, that's what I thought, hence my question ...

The item included a copper this mornng and a journalist demonstrating how it is done ... maybe some take a while to power down?

Surely they're far more likely to just target cars with stuck on screen and dashboard mounts, on the off chance that there's a navigator in there....?

That's pretty much the score - most crime is opportunist......

Everyday I look at cars that have been broken into and without fail people always ask why their car was broken into even though they put their valuables out of sight.

Criminals out there know people leave stuff hidden in cars so it's worth them breaking into a car even if there is nothing on show because 9 times out of 10 they'll find something worth taking. Simple solution is to take your valuables with you....

I often do a bluetooth search on a train or in pub etc.but even if you find other devices you have no idea where they are. Which pocket or bag etc. So i guess if it was a lone car in a car park it would be obvious, other wise its hard to pin point. as others have said its far easier for a thief to spot a tell tale suction ring mark on the screen!

Since when did anybody have a bluetooth receiver accurate enough to pinpoint (a) where abouts in a car a bt device would be, or ( :ph34r: even which car it was in? Surely they're far more likely to just target cars with stuck on screen and dashboard mounts, on the off chance that there's a navigator in there....?

Think I'll try a blue tooth scan at the next meet just to see if it is possible to narrow it down to which cars have BT devices in them.

I know there are cheap, keyring-size Wi-Fi detectors available that have a series of LEDs - the nearer you are to the source & the stronger the signal, the more LEDs light. Maybe there is a similar device available for Bluetooth?

Here is a link for one such device but I think it only shows the presence of a Bluetooth signal, not the strength.

I guess it is more likely to be more a case of opportunism and spotting the dashboard mounts rather than any high tech thievery. Taking your vauables with you has to be the best advice.

On a similar, but happier, note the other Friday night we did a Bluetooth search in the pub trying to transfer a ringtone to a friend and as well as the names of the usual locals appearing, the name of 'SuperKnockers' popped up on the list. Certainly caught our attention :ph34r:

you're creditting the average criminal with way too much intelligence.

they walk into a car park and qucikly see if they can spot anything lying on seats etc or if they see someone obviously putting something under a seat.

why go to any more effort than that? trust me that is all you need to do to keep you busy in the average car park. look properly next time you walk through one.

I've not read all the logs so forgive me if I'm repeating (I need to get to work!) but this is nothing to worry about if your GPSr does not have bluetooth. Your normal handheld Garmin, Magellans, Lowrance (I think...) do not have bluetooth. It is the people who have got car type GPS / sat navs. These tend to have bluetooth, and all the thieves are doing are walking around cars where people have not switched of their GPS units properly and if detecting a bluetooth network, the fact there are people unlikely to be around and bluetooth only has a range of about 10 metres, its a pretty sure thing that there is GPS / laptop / mobile on nearby. Possible stashed inside the car.

Ready that, with the 10 metre variance, its sounds like a rather more illicit version of geocaching!

lol nevermind the GPS.

Some of you may remember Mac D's gave away winnie the pooh clip on toys a few years ago. Well my mate thought it would be cool to clip them to the back of the chair in the car.

Anyway, scummers came along smashed the window and stole the teddy toys. £50 that cost and it was for worthless tat.

I guess the moral of the story is don't go to Mac D's and don't leave anything on display in your car.

Aii

lol nevermind the GPS.

Some of you may remember Mac D's gave away winnie the pooh clip on toys a few years ago. Well my mate thought it would be cool to clip them to the back of the chair in the car.

Anyway, scummers came along smashed the window and stole the teddy toys. £50 that cost and it was for worthless tat.

I guess the moral of the story is don't go to Mac D's and don't leave anything on display in your car.

Aii

Yeah, imagine someone going to so much trouble just to get their hands on some worthless tat.

I mean, with geocaching you end up with ... er ... hang on :laughing:

Our local finest are giving away a free packet of "SatNav Suction Circle WipeAways", sure there's a lovely abbrevation for them but can't be bothered :lol:

Vehicle break - ins, bit of an "expert victim" on the subject having had four in the past 12 months, well I do drive a van.

Break - in (1) Screwdriver through doorskin "popped lock", nicked everything of value.

Break - in (2) Again, screwdriver through doorskin, nicked, not sure not much in van.

Break - in (3) Again, Again, screwdriver through doorskin, nicked anything of value out of the back, tools etc

Break - in (4) No!! no screwdriver this time, smashed rear window, kicked in rear window grill, put small child into broken back window and well, nicked anything of value!!!!!!!!!

All of these break-ins took place in hotel car parks with CCTV, police were unable to use any CCTV recordings as they were very poor quality and as one policeman told me " We saw them doing your van, but we cannot tell from the CCTV if they are black or white :lol: ".

Moral of the story, "DON'T LEAVE ANYTHING OF VALUE IN YOUR VEHICLE", if the want to break in they will!!!!!!

Nick