The All New All New Groundspeak UK Pub Quiz

@keehote DING!

Both technically correct..but I was thinking of angels :)

Aaaaaagh. Ok - quicky one...

How many perfect cubes are there between 0 and 1000?

Well as 1000 is the cube of 10, I would say there would be 10 (1^3 2^3 3^3 4^3 5^3 6^3 7^3 8^3 9^3 10^3)

(not sure whether 0^3 counts, which would make 11, but I suspect not).

Well as 1000 is the cube of 10, I would say there would be 10 (1^3 2^3 3^3 4^3 5^3 6^3 7^3 8^3 9^3 10^3)

think it does actually, but it's still 10, as it's 'between' :)

but if it's 'between' then it wouldn't include 10^3 either so the answer would be 9.

edit - yep, lol

ah well :)

Edited by Team Noodles

think it does actually, but it's still 10, as it's 'between' :)

but if it's 'between' then it wouldn't include 10^3 either so the answer would be 9.

Ding

North: Dunnet Head

South: The Lizard

East: Lowestoft

West: Ardnamurchan Point

... at least, that's the four locations visited on a 'compass point' ride of GB! However, Dunnet Head is fairly close to John O'Groats and The Lizard close-ish to Lands End, and so most visit all six to get in a LeJog (or JogLe) in the same trip.

Edited by Pajaholic

North: Dunnet Head

South: The Lizard

East: Lowestoft

West: Ardnamurchan Point

... at least, that's the four locations visited on a 'compass point' ride of GB! However, Dunnet Head is fairly close to John O'Groats and The Lizard close-ish to Lands End, and so most visit all six to get in a LeJog (or JogLe) in the same trip.

Ding!

It should really be Lowestoft Ness but I'm not about to split hairs :D

Thanks. Next question:

Which word can go before 'pet', 'ton', and 'mine' to make three more words?

car

DING!

As a veggie the more obscure carmine came to mind easily.

There's a more common name for carmine... and an E number... I want both answers!?

I know carmine as a deep pinky purple, and am pretty sure it is made by crushing the wing cases of the cochineal beetle. I'll take a guess on the E number..E110?

There's a more common name for carmine... and an E number... I want both answers!?

After seeing other posts, I guess that there's two more-common names because, as an amateur artist, I know it as Crimson Lake (R514) and, although I knew that cochineal was a red food colouring, I didn't know it was also called carmine until seeing those other posts.

Mrs P's cookbooks couldn't shed light on the E number, but then it struck me that a manufacturer's site might. So I wandered over to Alibaba.com and drilled down through Chemicals > Food & Feed Additives > Food Additive Products > Food Colorants and then paged through the list (136 pages of 50 products per page) rather than use the site search (which might be considered 'Googling') to find two: E120 and E124, with E120 coming from crushed beetles and E124 being the synthetic version.

Edited to add: A lot of synthetic replacements for natural food additives have undesirable qualities. So having not used any search engines to get the answer, I turned to Google to check whether E124 is one of those - and it is! I'm glad that I'm not a vegetarian because E124 is made from coal tar and banned in the USA because it's a suspected carcinogen that produces adverse reactions from asthmatics and those with an aspirin intolerance!

Edited by Pajaholic

After seeing other posts, I guess that there's two more-common names because, as an amateur artist, I know it as Crimson Lake (R514) and, although I knew that cochineal was a red food colouring, I didn't know it was also called carmine until seeing those other posts.

Mrs P's cookbooks couldn't shed light on the E number, but then it struck me that a manufacturer's site might. So I wandered over to Alibaba.com and drilled down through Chemicals > Food & Feed Additives > Food Additive Products > Food Colorants and then paged through the list (136 pages of 50 products per page) rather than use the site search (which might be considered 'Googling') to find two: E120 and E124, with E120 coming from crushed beetles and E124 being the synthetic version.

Edited to add: A lot of synthetic replacements for natural food additives have undesirable qualities. So having not used any search engines to get the answer, I turned to Google to check whether E124 is one of those - and it is! I'm glad that I'm not a vegetarian because E124 is made from coal tar and banned in the USA because it's a suspected carcinogen that produces adverse reactions from asthmatics and those with an aspirin intolerance!

DING!

I don't eat much E124... but that said, tobacco has been "suspected of being a carcinogen that produces adverse reactions from asthmatics" and lots of other people for quite some time now, but I guess there's not much money to be made taxing synthetic food colourings!

DING!

I don't eat much E124... but that said, tobacco has been "suspected of being a carcinogen that produces adverse reactions from asthmatics" and lots of other people for quite some time now, but I guess there's not much money to be made taxing synthetic food colourings!

E124 (Ponceau 4R) isn't addictive in the same way that tobacco products are, so high taxation would probably have much the same effect as banning it (which is what they've done in the USA). That said, there are vegetable-based red colourings available (e.g. Amaranth - E123, Beetroot - E162) although some of them (e.g. E123) seem worse than even E124. FWIW, my post-answer research turned up http://ukfoodguide.net/enumeric.htm, which might be a good resource for anyone concerned about E numbers.

So, on to the next question and keeping to the theme of pigments: The pigment 'sepia' used in fine art and retouching of early photographs comes from what source?

DING!

E124 (Ponceau 4R) isn't addictive in the same way that tobacco products are, so high taxation would probably have much the same effect as banning it (which is what they've done in the USA). That said, there are vegetable-based red colourings available (e.g. Amaranth - E123, Beetroot - E162) although some of them (e.g. E123) seem worse than even E124. FWIW, my post-answer research turned up http://ukfoodguide.net/enumeric.htm, which might be a good resource for anyone concerned about E numbers.

So, on to the next question and keeping to the theme of pigments: The pigment 'sepia' used in fine art and retouching of early photographs comes from what source?

Cuttlefish.

I'll guess that, pre computerisation, it was someone who ran around a stock or commodities exchange carrying the paperwork associated with brokerage deals.

That said, every time I see the word 'deal' it reminds me that, as a shipwright, we used to jokingly refer to any timber of unidentified species as 'deal' ('deal' being wood about which 'Chippy' didn't know a great deal!)

My Dad was a 'carpenter and joiner' and spent the majority of his working life on building sites. As far as he was concerned, any timber that wasn't a 'hard wood' was 'deal' :)

Edited to add... when will I learn to just click on smilies instead of dragging them into a post?!!

Edited by Pharisee