buying trackable codes

scavok

I make my own geocoins (yes melt, hammer and engrave, not just scratch pet ID tags) and would like to make them trackable so here are some questions that I haven't been able to just find a straight answer to.

If I wanted to purchase a number of trackable codes from geocaching.com how much would it cost? for 10, 50, 100 or whatever the minimum is?

If that costs too much (i'm guessing it will), is there a way i can just purchase a handful of generic geocoin codes or TB codes and just get them from email or something and not wait a week for the tags in the mail?

Thanks!

I believe the minimum for codes is still 100 @ $1.50/each - but verify that in the pinned threads up top.

As far as whether or not you can use the codes on your own coins - you'll hve to get the artwork/design approved by Groundspeak (see threads up top for how).

Any pics of what you make?

I make my own geocoins (yes melt, hammer and engrave, not just scratch pet ID tags) and would like to make them trackable so here are some questions that I haven't been able to just find a straight answer to.

If I wanted to purchase a number of trackable codes from geocaching.com how much would it cost? for 10, 50, 100 or whatever the minimum is?

If that costs too much (i'm guessing it will), is there a way i can just purchase a handful of generic geocoin codes or TB codes and just get them from email or something and not wait a week for the tags in the mail?

Thanks!

You can buy a minimum of 250 tracking codes at $1.50 a piece, but I don't know about buying them and putting on something you make, I'm thinking Groundspeak isn't going to approve that.

Thanks!

You can buy a minimum of 250 tracking codes at $1.50 a piece, but I don't know about buying them and putting on something you make, I'm thinking Groundspeak isn't going to approve that.

I didn't realize there was an approval needed to get geocoin codes. Good point.

TB's get attached to items all the time and aren't approved formally by GC (at least mine weren't?). Can I buy TB codes in bulk?

Edited by scavok

I was thinking the same thing C4 said...it IS a bit costly if you buy any number of those, but not as much as the $150 for the coin codes if you're only buying 10! You'd get a better deal from the codes, IF you'll be making that many...but you do have to get the coin approved! I don't know how tricky that is, but I wouldn't think it's too hard!!

I would be in for a trade too, if you make many of these!!

Why not just make your coins and drill them out and attach a travel bug to them?

(: too normal. but it may be pretty close to what I end up doing unfortunately.

Then buy the normal TB tags, engrave the numbers from the tag into your personal item, activate the "Tag", and set it free! :D

Wow--Cornerstone, that's a REALLY creative idea! Never thought about that. Would get a little expensive though! B)

Keep in mind, that if you engrave numbers on things, people may not realize it's a TB. You run the risk of people not knowing that it's trackble.

And no - Groundspeak will not sell coin codes to put on other items. I'd assume it's the same for TB#'s but they would have to tell you for sure.

hoenstly, you're better off shooting them an email and then posting the answer here than speculating on what they may/may not do.

I have a request. I would like to see mini dog tags.

I have a few TB's that I want to send out, but the dog tag is just too big. I ended up drilling out a micro generic coin and attaching it. Still, I would rather not do that given the loss rate for coins. Where can I post this request.

Cheers,

nooks

I have a few TB's that I want to send out, but the dog tag is just too big. I ended up drilling out a micro generic coin and attaching it. Still, I would rather not do that given the loss rate for coins. Where can I post this request.

Cheers,

nooks

I believe I've seen this discussed before, try the Travel Bug forums. I'm sure someone there could help you.

Cheers,

nooks

if you want to make your own trackables or just want the codes go and make a request in my forum called "Trackables Request..."

I recently found this site that tracks sig items. I have not used it yet, so cannot say how well it works. Just tossing out an option to look into.

Hey :D

That's our local guy, Marky, who set that up. Lots o' people use it and it's a very good alternative to Geocaching.com check it out!

Cheers,

nooks

I recently found this site that tracks sig items. I have not used it yet, so cannot say how well it works. Just tossing out an option to look into.

Hey :D

That's our local guy, Marky, who set that up. Lots o' people use it and it's a very good alternative to Geocaching.com check it out!

Cheers,

nooks