Best caches that got vetoed..

team lagonda

I had one last summer that didn't pass muster.

Titled "Have a cold one", it would have been a 50 cal ammocan with holes drilled in it, attached to a chain anchored to the bank of the Snake river in the canyon. The ammocan would contain cans of soda. The idea was that cachers would bring a can of soda with them and exchange it for an ice cold can from the cache. Kinda like a perpetual ice chest in the desert.

The issue was of course, food items in caches. TPTB agreed that this type of food in this particular cache placement would negate anything but trout bothering the cache but they didn't want to water down the guidelines regarding food items. It was also pointed out that I'd probably need to make frequent maintenance visits to swap out the beer that would most likely be left in the cache.

I didn't lose much sleep over the denial. I knew from the start that it violated the guidelines, but was hoping for a waiver. I'll probably place it as a terracache this coming summer.

I had a great cache idea that was vetoed by the land manager of the local state park. It was a once in a life time, never to be duplicated opportunity that used a benchmark located at the center of an old observatory on a little known side area of the park. It was a thing of beauty...absolutely amazing.

sniff :laughing:

Bret

my first cache placement was nixed within minutes .(legitimately)

It was placed in a great area on public city-owned land near a college campus. Was a beautiful forested area, great scenery, lots of wildlife, and some great caves that very few people in town know about.

apparently, the college security views that area as their property (a plat map shows otherwise) and had previously confiscated a cache in the general vicinity. Further review showed that they don't allow non-students to even set foot on the campus, even though they are taking my tax dollars to pay for the place.

too bad, because it would definitely be one of the top cache locations within 25 miles.

Well...I knew a guy who placed a great little multi along a bike path. His goal was to have a cache every tenth of a mile along the whole route, and each traditional cache was numbered accordingly. The multi-cache was meant to bridge a gap over an area that already had some others nearby. He didn't know that multi waypoints had to keep their distance from other caches. He mistakenly listed the multi as a traditional, so it passed at first. I asked him if that was what he meant to do, so he re-submitted it as a multi and got refused. Only one person got a chance to log it. Sadly, the interfering caches are up a cliff and have to be approached from a long way around, so they don't really act to continue the series either. He let me find the multi before he removed it, and I really enjoyed it.

Fortunately, I've never had one refused, personally. Merry Christmas, by the way. (psst...the forums are really quiet today, aren't they?)

Sadly, the interfering caches are up a cliff and have to be approached from a long way around, so they don't really act to continue the series either.

It's my understanding that reviewers will take that into consideration when looking at caches if it's pointed out to them. If 2 caches are close on a map, but there is no possible route between them due to terrain, they may be excepted from the guideline.

I submitted a virtual that got nixed, but then placed an altoids tin nearby, had the revier change the cache type, and everything was good. THe cache turned out to be the most found of all my caches..

Until the city mowed over the forest and installed bleachers for the baseball field... Amazingly they found the cache and got it back to me!

I placed a cache inside a spigot on the end of a fake pipe sticking out of a wall behind a nearby strip mall ... I even painted it and let it get dirty for a while to match the other spigots on the wall. It was a great camo job ... cachers looking for it would have to unscrew the spigot to find the log sheet. I had a great write-up for it, along with a cleverly encrypted hint, everything was all set to go.

But the reviewer was concerned, and she asked me to get permission first. So I went around to the store and asked for the manager. The assistant manager was there, but when I described what I wanted he said I'd have to speak to the owner who wasn't there. When I finally managed to drop by when the owner was there, I found he spoke no English (and I speak muy poquito de espan~ol). Going back later, I was able to talk to the assistant manager who said I should talk to the owner. After waiting a month for the owner to come back from vacation, he said he was fine with it but that the store owners on either side of his shop might have concerns so I should call them ...

I gave up at that point. It would have been faster and easier if the first guy had just said "no way" :-)

Edited by ePeterso2

I've got one that will have taken me and several others several monhts of effort coordinatd over 3 summers to pull off. This summer I plan on placing it. It pushes or breaks serveral rules and should be a kick for those who complete it.

I expect a very hard sell to get it published, lots of suggestions on how to force it to fit in the box, and a more than fair chance that the suggestions will entirly compromise the cache experience and even if they didn't, they would require re-doing/coordinating the entire cache over several months months to get the parts to fit, so we won't go there.

I knew all this going in, and I've watched rules get changed and clarified that will hurt the cache's odds of being published. Some may ask why not change it now? The answer is simple, The cache isn't broke. None of the rules that protect caching are broken, a few of the rules that are simply preference or convenince are broken or pushed. Plus you never know. Occasionally a reviewer does see the bigger picture. Besides there is a difference between pushing the rule on how close you can get to a courthouse with an ammo box cache and pushing the line on when exactly you need to be able to whip our your GPS to find the cache.

Edited by Renegade Knight

Sadly, the interfering caches are up a cliff and have to be approached from a long way around, so they don't really act to continue the series either.

It's my understanding that reviewers will take that into consideration when looking at caches if it's pointed out to them. If 2 caches are close on a map, but there is no possible route between them due to terrain, they may be excepted from the guideline.

That's what happened for me. I've got 2 about 360' apart. No way they're going to be confused, though. One is in a tree and the other is underwater. Of course our reviewer is not anal in any way, thankfully.

Edited by k_statealan

Well, the reviewer had already done that for him a couple of times before on that series. The bike trail runs along the base of a cliff, so I think the reviewer got tired of that exception, or else he thought the cache owner was pulling his leg. Who knows?

I placed a cache inside a spigot on the end of a fake pipe sticking out of a wall behind a nearby strip mall ... I even painted it and let it get dirty for a while to match the other spigots on the wall. It was a great camo job ... cachers looking for it would have to unscrew the spigot to find the log sheet. I had a great write-up for it, along with a cleverly encrypted hint, everything was all set to go.

But the reviewer was concerned, and she asked me to get permission first. So I went around to the store and asked for the manager. The assistant manager was there, but when I described what I wanted he said I'd have to speak to the owner who wasn't there. When I finally managed to drop by when the owner was there, I found he spoke no English (and I speak muy poquito de espan~ol). Going back later, I was able to talk to the assistant manager who said I should talk to the owner. After waiting a month for the owner to come back from vacation, he said he was fine with it but that the store owners on either side of his shop might have concerns so I should call them ...

I gave up at that point. It would have been faster and easier if the first guy had just said "no way" :-)

I would seriously be concerned about this one. If i was the business owner and understood the nature of the cache, i would say "NO WAY" right off the bat.

Since you have to dismantle the spigot, what would happen if a seeker unscrewed the wrong one? Have you ever tried to put a charged water device back together? Darned hard in any case and pertineer impossible if the pressure is over about 40 psig.

Any cacher that would even try to unscrew a faucet or stem to see if there is a cache is in it should seriously take a course in common sense.

I have serious reservations for any cache disguised as something dangerous or any fake fixture that looks like real ones in the vicinity. Cachers inadvertently damaging property, getting hurt, or unwittingly putting others in danger whilst looking for a cache does not do our hobby any good at all.

If I have to open or unscrew something that isn't OBVIOUSLY the cache, i move on.

I would seriously be concerned about this one. If i was the business owner and understood the nature of the cache, i would say "NO WAY" right off the bat.

Since you have to dismantle the spigot, what would happen if a seeker unscrewed the wrong one? Have you ever tried to put a charged water device back together? Darned hard in any case and pertineer impossible if the pressure is over about 40 psig.

Any cacher that would even try to unscrew a faucet or stem to see if there is a cache is in it should seriously take a course in common sense.

I have serious reservations for any cache disguised as something dangerous or any fake fixture that looks like real ones in the vicinity. Cachers inadvertently damaging property, getting hurt, or unwittingly putting others in danger whilst looking for a cache does not do our hobby any good at all.

If I have to open or unscrew something that isn't OBVIOUSLY the cache, i move on.

That happened to me at work one day. We have a hose reel on the side of the building that was leaking for a few months. We filled out the paper work to have the place I work for buy us a new one. The part came in so we figured it would be a quick swap. Turns out that the water shut off valve is older than creation, and the handle broke in our hands. We figured it was just a metal water line for a garden hose, how bad could it be?

After a quick vote, we decided that the pressure couldn't be that much and the easiest thing to do is just try to unscrew the old hose real, and screw the new one on as fast as possible.

Well all four of us got soaked, and we all had a shot at it before somebody got it. And like I said, the pressure wasn't even that high.

Makes for good stories during lunch break though :laughing:

I had a great cache idea that was vetoed by the land manager of the local state park. It was a once in a life time, never to be duplicated opportunity that used a benchmark located at the center of an old observatory on a little known side area of the park. It was a thing of beauty...absolutely amazing.

sniff :P

My toughest try has been at a state park too. The last time we talked he said he retires in a few years -- maybe then (in other words -- "Not while I'm here."). I have a virtual and a multi with a combination box in their office, but I wanted one hidden way deep at the end of the park to get people to go out there. He has said no even to that.

At a GGA Meeting in 2004, I suggested a bison tube in a dummy hand grenade. :):P

We all agreed it might not be a good idea. :P:) :)

42a0655c-3673-4038-9c60-75a5387a2198.jpg