Are Trackable Coins -- trackable?

Lemon Fresh Dog

I've been giving some thought as to whether trackable coins are worth the extra costs to get minted. In a typical run (100-500 coins), the added cost of tracking and a custom icon runs at $1.50 per coin (with an additional .15 or less per coin for the custom icon). On an item that typically run $4-$6 to produce, this represents approximately a 25% bump in cost.

So, the questions I have are: (and I am looking at opinions here, obviously there is no "data" available)

1) How many coins that are produced as trackable do you think are released to travel?

2) Does having the custom icon "attract" cachers (good and bad) to the cache for the coin?

3) Is drilling a hole (or minting with a loop) an effective alternative to allow that attachement of traditional tags?

4) Are non-trackable coins attractive to buyers and collectors?

I'll be the first to admit - I kinda like the little icons in my pofile. My dilema is that I am not sure I want to add the expense to my future coins. I've created both trackables (red-handed) and non-trackables (geobones w/loop and my new black nickle ones) - they each have their pluses and minuses and I am interested in the "community" thoughts.

Thanks!

PS - there is no right/wrong answer here - so please be respectful if someone passionately disagrees with you! <_<

1.) I think more coins are released if they have a tracking number because if you only put a tag on a coin it can be removed and then is a bigger target for pirates. Then when it's gone no one knows because you cant report on the page because the tag isn't there.

2.)It certainly attracts me alot more then one that doesn't. They will both sell very good with or without a icon or trackable numbers. I just look at a coin that trackable and has a icon better then a coin that doesn't , but I will still buy a coin, even if it doesn't have numbers or an icon, if I like if enough

3.) Like I said in #1

4.) Like I said in #2

Wow, LFD goes all philosophical....

1-I would guess 5-10% are actually released

2-Yes-and yes, good and bad

3-I think drilling is, I think it makes them a little less desirable. Though if you're going to be a TB to attach you might as well just buy a trackable coin as in the end it'll probably cost the same or less.

4-Some... Non-trackable are harder to sell being that you can't sell them here and let's face it, there are a lot of icon ho's.

For us trackable means nothing other than for the ones I/we release. We stopped activating coins a long time ago the icons just don't mean much to us. We like coins for there look and meaning, the icon or trackability have no impact on whether we want it or not.

I think it depends on what your goals are.

I think that if you intend to sell the coin you will sell more if you make them trackable with a custom icon. Overall you will have a much bigger investment but they will appeal to more people with the trackability. Not to mention that you can promote a sale here in this forum if they are trackable

If you simply intend to trade your coins then i would guess that tracking would be less beneficial. I know there are some traders that might not trade if a trackable coin for a non-trackable but I think most will

I know we have never turned down a trade.

1) How many coins that are produced as trackable do you think are released to travel?

2) Does having the custom icon "attract" cachers (good and bad) to the cache for the coin?

3) Is drilling a hole (or minting with a loop) an effective alternative to allow that attachement of traditional tags?

1 -- I think Less than 5%

2 -- yes definately, same can be said for the Jeep TBs

3 -- I think drilling a hole will slow down the theft but it will still get stolen. Even non trackables with an attached TB tag will get taken.

4 -- Yes they're attractive, but I think many collectors feel trackable ones are more desirable (some only collect trackable coins). It's the icon thing. With a non-trackable coin, design is more important. That is collectors will want an ugly or plain trackable coin for the icon (if nothing else). Whereas a non-trackable has to be appealing. Take the Dorkfish coins for example, those are such great looking coins that they would be highly sought after even if not trackable. (I won't mention any trackable coins that few would have wanted if they had not been trackable).

Windrose

Excellent topic. Our group is thinking of making another coin and we are toying with tracking or not. Maybe we'll just go with non-trackable and numbered instead. You have some very good points. I used to just try and get trackables but now I don't really care. It's the design of the coin that attracts now. Many trackables out there IMHO are not very nice looking or desirable and some of the non-trackable are fantastic. Good topic...keep it going and thanks.

Is it worth it, YES! For me anyway I dont collect coins and keep them in a binder I set all mine free and would not do so if they were not trackable. I have never drilled holes an any of my coins and so far they have done great I had a bad week about 2 mo. ago where 3 of my coins went missing all within a few days all in different states but those are the only that have gone MIA. As far as the icons go I will admit I love icons as when I get a coin I look at it for a bit then set it free so the icon is the only thing I have to look at, I have bought a few coins that I liked the icon more than the coin, but thats just me....

If you are doing a trade only coin then tracking is just an extra as most will never see the light of day being hidden away in a book somewhere. You will find a few that will only trade for trackable coins but a good design will easily over come this.

If you are going to sell them then you might as well make them trackable as most of those buying coins are doing it for the icon along with some setting them free.

Team Sand Dollar

I've been giving some thought as to whether trackable coins are worth the extra costs to get minted. In a typical run (100-500 coins), the added cost of tracking and a custom icon runs at $1.50 per coin (with an additional .15 or less per coin for the custom icon). On an item that typically run $4-$6 to produce, this represents approximately a 25% bump in cost.

So, the questions I have are: (and I am looking at opinions here, obviously there is no "data" available)

I'll be the first to admit - I kinda like the little icons in my pofile. My dilema is that I am not sure I want to add the expense to my future coins. I've created both trackables (red-handed) and non-trackables (geobones w/loop and my new black nickle ones) - they each have their pluses and minuses and I am interested in the "community" thoughts.

Thanks!

PS - there is no right/wrong answer here - so please be respectful if someone passionately disagrees with you! :rolleyes:

GREAT TOPIC!!

1.Darned few.(Maybe 5%)

2.FOR SURE!!

3.Don,t know,but ,it would seem so!

4.Being an icon ho got us collecting coins,BUT we collect any coin that is cool,don'tcare about icons for our collection,or trades.

In a typical run (100-500 coins)

I am not sure 500 is a typical run now --- closer to 250 at the upper limits in my experience

4-5%

Not me, but sometimes I am sure it has an effect

Yes, I like the holes being minted, it provides an added ability to put a traveler tag on it, but in my experience drilled coins still go missing.

Absolutely! Some of my favorite coins are not trackable

I'll be the first to admit - I kinda like the little icons in my pofile. My dilema is that I am not sure I want to add the expense to my future coins.

I am in the same boat --- on the one hand I would like to make a personal that's non-trackable, on the other hand I would also like a trackable version. I have done both but now stand at a dilema.

I've been wondering some of the same things lately along with a few local cachers. I'm in the process of designing my own coin and I'm in a group working on a West Virginia coin. The serious replies to this post will prove interesting. The others will just be fun to read. :rolleyes:

1) I would guess 25% if we look at the global market, I think less than 10% in the US. A lot of people buy two (1 keep/1 trade) but I don't think a lot of the keepers make it into the caches.

2) I think so. It seems to be a beacon. Good cachers go discover them or move them, bad ones steal them.

3) I think drilling a hole is more effective. It actually defaces the coin. If it is monted with a hole or loop, then there's no physical change to effect perceived value.

4) This always seems to be a 50/50 opinion. Personally, they are to me. I'm interested in the design or the person that created the item. My personal coins will not be sold and I'm having a hard time justifying the cost of tracking numbers and and an icon. If I was selling a large number of coins, I would probably make them trackable with an icon - especially if it will be a state, regional, or event coin.

1. In my case, 100% are released (eventually). I'm way behind right now in photographing, coming up with a goal for, printing a small goal sheet to go in the coin flip, and releasing my geocoins. But they will all travel. I really don't see the attraction of having a bunch of coins laying around that rarely get looked at, and then just glanced at. Plus, I have way too much stuff laying around the house anyway. I get much more enjoyment in seeing them travel and reading the comments posted in the logs. The photos I take of the coins are all I need as a keepsake.

2. I think a coin (with or without an icon) is a major attraction for a cache. Coins tend to get picked up quickly. Travel bugs - not so much.

3. I've never attached a travel bug tag to a non-trackable coin and don't think I would. I don't want to spend the $$ for the coin, then spend more $$ for a TB tag when I could just buy a trackable coin. Plus, in my opinion, minting a coin with a hole in it doesn't reduce the allure of the coin and therefore doesn't discourage anyone from stealing it. Putting a hole in a coin with a drill though, should make the coin less attractive to thieves. I've bought pairs of coins and sent one out without a hole and the other with a pretty big hole drilled in it. So far, the drilled coins seem to travel slightly more often than the undrilled coins, but I think that is just random chance. I've just had more undrilled coins picked up by new cachers or people that hardly ever cache and hold onto the coins for a long time before moving them on. My hole/no hole experiment, so far, hasn't shown any significant difference.

4. I doubt I would buy a coin that wasn't trackable unless it was a really awesome design that I just couldn't resist.

What they all said :rolleyes: .

Tracking means nothing to me. I think there are a LOT of coins out right now that are not related to caching in any form - except the tracking number. Without it, nobody would consider it a geocoin.

I'd say the guestimates of what moves is about right as well - 5% sounds close.

I'm much more interested in the design and what it represents than the fact that it has a tracking number on it.

And I stopped activating coins in my collection a long time ago. I just didn't see the point.

Wow -- so much in a few little questions!

1) How many coins that are produced as trackable do you think are released to travel? -- Not very many. I'm hard pressed to find a trackable coin (or jeep) within 10 miles of home, especially on a regular basis. We probably have several hundred within that radius.

2) Does having the custom icon "attract" cachers (good and bad) to the cache for the coin? -- You bet. I've got a friend who I recently introduced to caching. One of the biggest complaints I hear from her is that a coin or jeep is listed as being in the cache, but when they arrive, it's usually gone. I'll often discover a coin or jeep that's in a cache, but usually won't move it along unless I happen to know that I can further its mission. I know there are others who would love to find that item.

3) Is drilling a hole (or minting with a loop) an effective alternative to allow that attachement of traditional tags? -- Yes, both those methods allow for attachement of traditional tags. However, if your goal is to have a coin travel, the drilled coin will probably move further than one with a minted hole or loop. What good is it to steal a drilled coin? The thief won't be able to show it off to other cachers. Most of my traveling coins are drilled (I now know how to use a drill press! :rolleyes: ) and none of them have disappeared without a trace, although one did get lost and I was contacted by the embarrassed cacher.

4) Are non-trackable coins attractive to buyers and collectors? I suppose that if you're into geocoins for the value, then I'd suspect that trackable coins are more valuable. I would think that collectors wouldn't care much, unless they are an icon ho. However, there are plenty of non-gc.com trackable coins out there that are sought after and therefore (one would assume) of some value. There are many 'early in the game' coins that are nontrackable and prized, and some current ones, too. Goblin Dust is one that comes to mind as a newer, non-trackable coin that seems to be on many wish lists.

Personally, I don't care what I trade for in the tracking department -- it makes no difference to me. My traveling coins get a tag in one form or another, depending on whether they are gc.com trackable or not. I want the person who picks it up to have no doubt in their mind what needs to be done with a coin of mine that they find.

1 - I'd agree with the others and say that 5% or less ever get released into the wild.

2 - Although I hate to say it (since coins I've minted dont have tracking), tracking nos and icons are a big part of this hobby for many folks.

3 - I've drilled holes in a few and released them with TB tags. So far, so good, but I do expect to lose them. I agree with others and wouldn't have the mint do it, because defacing the coin is what makes it less valuable. A pre-drilled hole from the mint doesn't have that negative impact - it's just a part of the design.

4 - I don't activate my coins anymore, could care less about tracking numbers or icons, and have sold 2 non-trackable coins with no problem, so I can honestly say that in my experience, non-trackables can be very attractive to collectors. The key is having a good or different or interesting design and a reasonable price. There are many coins being produced that I wouldn't buy because I don't like the design or price tag, irrespective of whether they are trackable or not.

(WAY OT: Just a little wave "Hello" to our friends out here in the coin forums. It's been a wild, weird, late summer and fall! The chicken clan is looking forward to a healthier, happier new year and to getting back to some coin collecting and trading.)

For me, tracking and icons are both important. Tracking because I release some coins and enjoy watching where they go and who moves them even though I am taking a chance they will disappear. I enjoy the icons simply because they are each unique and I like seeing them in my trackables list. I don't like it when a coin I really like has a generic icon but that is just my personal opinion. I don't collect any coin BECAUSE it is trackable or has a unique icon, I collect it because I like it and it is priced within my budget. I occassionally step a wee bit out of my budget but it has to be a very special coin and I don't fudge by too much. That's my opinion for what it's worth. :rolleyes:

1) I would swag that 5% is about right. Actually, That would be the very high end of my swag.

2) For myself, no. If there's one there, then that would be bonus points. When I go caching, I'm out to find the cache.

3) Dunno.

4) Not to me. Yes, I do still activate the trackables that I get. But, I collect the coins that I like. I have passed on many that were trackable, and not, just because I didn't care for the design.

As is common knowledge, we do not make trackable coins. Can't see any real justification for the expense. Also, our coins to seem to be fairly well thought of. AIn't too many laying around here, anyway.

The best I can figure, it really boils down to:

A) Can you afford it?

2) Is that little picture on the profile page worth the expense?

For us, the answers are A) yes, 2) No