GEO-holidays - when tupperware beats the sun?

kewfriend

Its just three weeks from the days getting longer again, and next year's hols are already being planned. When the kids were small it was all about fun for them and peace and sun for us.

We still like the sun - (well we would wouldn't we ) - , but we seem to be planning our next hols around good spots for a bit of the 'ol geo-cacheing'. Are we sad and mad - or is this behaviour typical of the disease we seem to have caught? Our last weekend away we 'hit the New Forest'. Last year it was 'cache and Nosh' in Paris. This year it might be 'whats up in the Western Isles'?

Oh dear - find my a geo-psychiatrist ...... and tell me we're normal .......

How can we go on holiday and NOT do a spot of tupperware/film container hunting.I've already planned my cache hunting in Sydney,Melbourne and Tassie for next March. :laughing: ..in between drinking with me old mates that is. :laughing: .(they have been warned that I may be late on some occasions) :laughing:

PS..Praises to Google Earth!!

Edited by currykev

We have just booked for Mauritius for next March.

According to Google Earth there are only a few caches there so with a bit of luck we will be able to do ALL the caches in the country. (I think that would take some time in the UK)

Has any one else doe all the caches in one country?

Gordon

Its just three weeks from the days getting longer again, and next year's hols are already being planned. When the kids were small it was all about fun for them and peace and sun for us.

We still like the sun - (well we would wouldn't we ) - , but we seem to be planning our next hols around good spots for a bit of the 'ol geo-cacheing'. Are we sad and mad - or is this behaviour typical of the disease we seem to have caught? Our last weekend away we 'hit the New Forest'. Last year it was 'cache and Nosh' in Paris. This year it might be 'whats up in the Western Isles'?

Oh dear - find my a geo-psychiatrist ...... and tell me we're normal .......

Totaly normal, don't worry - just get on with it and feel better for it.

:laughing:-->

QUOTE(Old B @ Dec 1 2006, 01:04 AM) 2592972[/snapback]

According to Google Earth there are only a few caches there so with a bit of luck we will be able to do ALL the caches in the country. (I think that would take some time in the UK)

Gordon

I think CurryKev has done all the Caches in Trinidad and Tobago!

I've not exactly planned my holidays around caching, but I am going to France for Christmas and Mexico in February and have already planned a list of caches accesible for both...

Given that we use the excuse of seeing places we wouldn't otherwise have seen for geocaching at home, there's no reason why we can't use it when abroad, is there?

ZL

:laughing:--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Old B @ Dec 1 2006, 01:04 AM) 2592972[/snapback]</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->

Gordon

Not me!!!!!

But another trip to Tobago would be nice.

Edited by currykev

:laughing:-->

QUOTE(Old B @ Dec 1 2006, 01:04 AM) 2592972[/snapback]

Has any one else done all the caches in one country?

Gordon

I've done all the ones in Gibraltar :laughing:

Gordon

A couple of years ago I attempted every cache in Mauritius- although 3 were missing at the time so we couldn't complete the island. The one in the botanical gardens is worth doing but watch out for the guides!

Two years ago we did every cache in Trinidad and Tobago- all two of them at the time!

Edited to correct me confusing two countries

Edited by Pieman

Given that we use the excuse of seeing places we wouldn't otherwise have seen for geocaching at home, there's no reason why we can't use it when abroad, is there?

Thanks to Gecaching, I will have to visit the Eiffel Tower in a couple of weeks to do the new cache there, otherwise I could easily have missed it whilst in Paris!!!

:laughing:--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Old B @ Dec 1 2006, 01:04 AM) 2592972[/snapback]</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->

Gordon

Not me!!!!!

But another trip to Tobago would be nice.

Sorry curryKev - it was Pieman - I must have been getting the foods mixed up!

I was in New York last week - Five Star New York would take five days on its own, let alone with all the others!

I'm off to Rome in May - I wonder how many there are in the Vatican?

I've done all the ones in Gibraltar :laughing:

Sorry Nigel - you had done until another one was placed on 2nd September, unfortunately!

Incidentally i was the first to have done all 5 when i was FTF on the 5th one placed in April 2005. I no longer go out regularly as i used to so I havent been able do the latest one - not too worried about that as its a puzzle, i'm no good at puzzles!!

Thanks to Gecaching, I will have to visit the Eiffel Tower in a couple of weeks to do the new cache there, otherwise I could easily have missed it whilst in Paris!!!

Watch out for the armed soldiers and gendarmes on patrol. You'll only have a small window of time to retrieve it without being spotted, before another load come round the corner with their machine guns.

T

:tired:-->

QUOTE(Old B @ Dec 1 2006, 09:04 AM) 2592972[/snapback]

Gordon

We placed the first cache in Singapore, does that count?

I don't think I'll manage to do all the caches at my holiday resort...

Manhatten has WAY too many caches to do in 5 days!!!

New York City has a very good transit system, I just had a look on Google Earth and there seem to be a few more caches now than when we went in January, but I think you could do all the Manhattan ones in 5 days (excepting the 5/5). The problem is there is so much other stuff to do...

Check out Squealy's little bits @ Central Park and Bryant Park Micro when you are out there, they are both good, and Bryant Park Micro will lead you to an NGS benchmark for a nice new icon on your profile.

In response to the OP, I am contemplating trips to a couple of places I would never otherwise visit if not for caching opportunities. Also, when on holiday I always make the effort to grab a few caches, wherever I go.

Edited by Cryptik Souls Crew

I don't think I'll manage to do all the caches at my holiday resort...

Manhatten has WAY too many caches to do in 5 days!!!

New York City has a very good transit system, I just had a look on Google Earth and there seem to be a few more caches now than when we went in January, but I think you could do all the Manhattan ones in 5 days (excepting the 5/5). The problem is there is so much other stuff to do...

Check out Squealy's little bits @ Central Park and Bryant Park Micro when you are out there, they are both good, and Bryant Park Micro will lead you to an NGS benchmark for a nice new icon on your profile.

In response to the OP, I am contemplating trips to a couple of places I would never otherwise visit if not for caching opportunities. Also, when on holiday I always make the effort to grab a few caches, wherever I go.

Oooooh thanks Cryptics!!!!

Yeh, wot he said :tired:

I managed a fair few of the Manhattan caches in January and picked up a few more when I was back there in August.

Catch the Cat is a nice one downtown, especially if you want to leave a TB.

Of course the virtual at the top of The Empire State Building is pretty special too.

A note of caution; Central Park is HUGE, and simply walking from one end to the other will take quite some time!

I've done all the ones in Gibraltar :ph34r:

Sorry Nigel - you had done until another one was placed on 2nd September, unfortunately!

Incidentally i was the first to have done all 5 when i was FTF on the 5th one placed in April 2005. I no longer go out regularly as i used to so I havent been able do the latest one - not too worried about that as its a puzzle, i'm no good at puzzles!!

I knew I should have checked before I made such a rash claim! :tired:

Incidentally, while we were there we did find a couple of nice restaurants amongst the rather mediocre ones. Funnily enough they were almost opposite each other.

Hope its a micro attached to metal! :(

My parents went and cached the whole of Malta at the beginning of the year and loved the place. I think that there were 12 on the island at the time.

I've recently got back from Afghanistan (not a holliday recommendation - trust me on this one) and didn't even think about looking for caches over there until i got back and thought "I wonder...", did a search and low and behold there are loads over there, most of them in camps and bases - what a missed opportunity, although the thought of picking up hidden ammo boxes over there does make the hair on the back of my neck stand on end.

Ian

Edited by studlyone

I've recently got back from Afghanistan (not a holliday recommendation - trust me on this one) and didn't even think about looking for caches over there until i got back and thought "I wonder...", did a search and low and behold there are loads over there, most of them in camps and bases - what a missed opportunity, although the thought of picking up hidden ammo boxes over there does make the hair on the back of my neck stand on end.

I have a friend who is on the fringe of the US military in Germany... I asked him if he can get hold of ammo boxes. He checked and came back with "at the best of times, most of them get taken by US personnel for tool boxes etc in their garage; but right now, it seems most of them are actually being used for their intended purpose. And they're painted sand colour".

I've only done a couple of caches abroad and they are great fun!! What disconcerts me, and I could incorrect saying this though, is that I think Britain is pretty unique (in Oh so many ways!! :laughing: ) with the public rights of way. Footpaths, bridleways, BOATs etc. Most of them are pretty well signposted so even if you're not familiar to an area, you can still go geo-bashing.

When abroad - are you on private land, public land etc etc? I know the caches should have been placed in accordance with the rules but are the rules enforced the same way as here?

The other thing I think that helps us here, is the British eccentricity. The police will think you're wierd but they'll let you be. Can you imagine trying to explain to a Greek policeman if you recall the plane spotter incident in Athens a few years back? :D

Those have always been my concerns - but I'd still do it!! :D