Geocaching Maturity

Lighteye

I recently had some thoughts about this sport/hobby/addiction that we all participate in, and wanted to see if others feel this as well.

When I first started caching almost a year ago, it was such a rush. The feeling of finding something hidden from most folks... an adult Easter egg hunt...the lure of hidden treasure... It was magical. I remember my first find like it happened just seconds ago...the awe that I felt upon finding this piece of well camoed tupperware in the middle of the woods. It was like...how do I put this delicately.... conjugal relations for the first time.

I then started going after the urban caches, as they were so plentiful, and I could hunt them on the way in to work, at lunch, or grab a couple after dinner without having to set up my pack, print out maps, etc. It was so easy. The lovely Mrs. started hunting with me, and we were hooked.

The last few months, however, I began to get a feeling that urban micro spew was indeed getting out of control, and I admit to helping feed that particular beast. I was no longer happy hunting for lame caches in front of the public, and was saddened to see my enthusiasm for my hobby fade away. It used to make me so happy to go out with my wife on an urban run and grab 20-30 smilies in a few hours. It no longer satisfied me, and the Mrs. and I no longer had a fun pasttime to share. The realization of this made me bitter and unhappy.

After 3 surgeries this year laid me up from going on hikes and finding woodland caches, I realized that I would rather wait and heal up until I could get out underneath the trees and walk the forests and swamps and find things along the way.

I started going out with a friend that I had made through GCing, and he had the sense to not fall into being a numbers ho. His cache find count was half of mine, but he was the smarter man. We have had many many great hours of hiking and talking and exploring places together that we would never have known existed without GC.com.

I then proceeded to kill some of my lamer urban micros in hopes of bringing this hard earned wisdom to the masses, but it is failing. New, equally lame ones spring up in their place. "You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink"... So true.

I realize that for some, it IS an addiction...I felt it running just under the surface of my skin as well, but something in me snapped, and I walked away from it. Some folks have grown so snobbish because they have so many more finds, and think they are superior to you as a human being. Blinded by cache find numbers, and not able to see what is has done to them.

The last dozen times I have been out, I went just for the hike, as I had already found the caches. It proved to me that I can still have a great time without having to log a find. Even when I was able to hike and grab a few new caches, the numbers meant so little to me that I logged them days later if I bothered to log them at all. This is in contrast to before, when I used to log them IMMEDIATELY upon walking in the door from a day of hunting. It's more about the journey now, and friends made, and experiences shared.

Now...to plan tomorrow's 11 mile hikeand get my ALICE pack ready...

Fortunately, I have cached so sporadically that with a pitiful 150 some-odd finds I haven't had the (dis)pleasure of burning out on any type of cache yet. I do prefer full sized caches in the woods to urban micros, but I've done my share of both. I still love to cache, and with the arrival of Autumn I will make the time to get out as often as I can.

It's probably pretty common for people to gravitate to one type of cache over another. I think it's cool that you have settled on the most traditional type of cache. There is nothing like a walk in the woods on a brisk Fall or Winter afternoon. Cache on!

Good post Lighteye. I think that you have captured the feelings of many.

I think that just "going for the hike" is what it is about for me now. I still don't mind a game of hide and seek in a city park now and then. I really don't care for guardrails and utility boxes. My kids like finding urban caches because they can score several caches in a small amount of time. As they get older, their tastes will probably change.

My only active GC that I have listed is a quick driveby cache, the first one that I ever placed. I keep it open as it serves a good purpose to many. I have other caches listed on other sites that involve good hikes. I didn't list them here as they are a considerable distance away from me and would not qualify as GC's under the guidelines for being reasonably maintainable.

the numbers meant so little to me that I logged them days later if I bothered to log them at all.

I am pretty indifferent to the whole urban caches seeing as that is not a problem in Western Colorado. I would say though, PLEASE log your finds whether you want the smilies or not. 99% of the fun of hiding a cache is getting a reaction from people who find it. DNF's equally interesting to hear about.

the numbers meant so little to me that I logged them days later if I bothered to log them at all.

I am pretty indifferent to the whole urban caches seeing as that is not a problem in Western Colorado. I would say though, PLEASE log your finds whether you want the smilies or not. 99% of the fun of hiding a cache is getting a reaction from people who find it. DNF's equally interesting to hear about.

I'll agree with Lighteye. I've gotten to where I don't bother logging uninteresting micros. If the fun of hiding a cache is just to see someone log it, then I suggest hiding one worth looking for. :blink: Personally I think lame hides are starting to drive people away from this game.

El Diablo

I certainly have lost the rush for finding most caches, but my personal search for a balance of 60% quality to 40% quantity in my cache find totals have kept me firmly in the game.

I'm an opportunistic finder, but I rarely have time to plan a day of caching. My numbers are slowly marching toward the 500 milestone. Just 27 more to go! YAY! Rather than be led around by my GPSr, I consciously choose the caches I go after. The choices are mine, so I have no one but me to blame if I don't enjoy myself. Most of my choices are determined by word of mouth, or the rout I'm taking on a trip. Other than to attend an event, I can't remember the last time I planned a whole day of cachin near to home. I could make time to do it, but I just don't. Although, my One Degree of Separation project has sparked my interest in finding more caches just as soon as some other more important details are taken care of. :blink:

Being more of a hider than a finder, I seriously doubt that I'll ever burn out on geocaching. I'm very proud of my hides and even though many of my caches are remote and seldom found, it's those that give me the most satisfaction. I get tickled to death when I find one mentioned in someone's profile as a favorite. A great find log, or a nice picture, on one of my caches makes all the effort worthwhile. Even if I never hunted another cache (fat chance) I would always be looking for just the right spot to place another one. I have another 50 half baked cache ideas in production (Some for over 3 years...) and a few that are ready to go. I've never hidden an LPC, but you can bet that if I ever do it will be properly Snooganesque. :blink:

This is one of my favorite pictures on one of my seldom visited caches in 5 star terrain:

727bbf0f-fd35-49a7-b9f5-1260e37d077a.jpg

Edited by Snoogans

Jeez - I have 24 whopping finds. And I think it's because from the beginning I don't really have time to run out for a day of caching or whatnot. I definitely prefer regular caches in the woods. I'm coming up on not even looking for another micro in the woods - that's just goofy crazy. I enjoy the hike, getting back to the woods.

I have always viewed this game as hiking with a destination. I never really went just hiking before, because, being the pragmatic soul I am, never really saw the point unless I was camping in a new area. I've hiked around lakes, and along paths, but always with a destination in mind. I never really did hike just for the sake of hiking.

Geocaching combined the "hike with a destination" with the desire to go to woods I would probably not visit otherwise. I like urban micros in parks because there are only so many places they could be hidden. Same with urban micros - there's really only so many placesthey could be hidden. Much as I understand the "lameness" I don't think I'm quite ready for some of the challenges awaitng me out there. Maybe finding lame micros will help with other caches. Besides it's nice visitng new places.

I understnad the frustration and can only offer this advice - have fun. If micros don't do it for you, just ignore them... I do.

--MGB

It is always about the journey and not the destination. It is not about the numbers but about the quality. So much or my taoist wisdom.

I have placed one cache and have one other planned. I take my time, look for places to put them that will offer good experiences for the cachers, no sense in numbers.

And, you're showing your age with the Alice ruck, you ought to get something that is better for your back, 12 years of humping one of those had destroyed my back. Check out REI Co-op for something good for you...

And keep trying to up the standards, it is worth it, if only for yourself....

And, you're showing your age with the Alice ruck, you ought to get something that is better for your back, 12 years of humping one of those had destroyed my back. Check out REI Co-op for something good for you...

Yep...same pack frame I bought on base in '85, and even though I have run through 3 different packs on it, I have it adjusted perfectly so that it fits me like a pair of well broken in jeans. :rolleyes: Thousands of miles, through hell then back, and I can't seem to get another pack that rides on me so well. ALICE will always be my girl at this rate, and the Mrs. doesn't mind.

On a serious note in line with the original post, I am not alone, apparently. Thanks for reading folks and replying. If we keep up the noise, eventually it will be all about the journey and destination, and forget the numbers.

El Diablo, you nailed it...if reading cool logs turn the hider on, make interesting caches. The more fun I had on one, the more detailed and fun the log. If it is another lamppost hide, be prepared for the generic copy and paste type log that is generally written on an urban cache.

I am NOT knocking all urban micros, I was just stating that they caused a serious flameout in the caching engine. Lord knows I have hunted down a few hundred of them, and will grab a few occasionally in the future.

Carry on with the hunt, folks!

Edited by Mr. & Mrs. Lighteye

Since becoming a parent of kids not old enough to hike yet, I haven't done much other than maintaining my two caches in the last three years. In my semi-retirement TONS of micro caches now litter the area around my pride and joy. So much so that hardly anyone bothers to visit it anymore. I was really peeved by the proliferation of so many drive by micro caches. I longed for the days when there weren't so many caches in the Chicago area and the majority required at least some hiking in woods. It seemed there was a more rugged element to Geocaching then. But in reading the log entries of the micro caches I sneered at, I realized many people really, really enjoy going after them. So who am I to judge?

Hunting for my type of Geocache requires much more effort now. Of the caches in my area, I don't even bother reading the description if it isn't at least a 2 terrain difficulty. And even that doesn't guarantee it'll be worth the read let alone the trip.

Oh well, back to my rocking chair.

I'll agree with Lighteye. I've gotten to where I don't bother logging uninteresting micros. If the fun of hiding a cache is just to see someone log it, then I suggest hiding one worth looking for. :ph34r: Personally I think lame hides are starting to drive people away from this game.

El Diablo

I feel exactly the same way! I find myself driving right by lamp post after lamp post! I'm not stopping anymore. It's my quiet revolution! :rolleyes:

I hiked up a mountain today with my daughter. We didn't log any geocaches because I had already found the geocaches on this mountain. But we had a great time! :rolleyes:

I'll agree with Lighteye. I've gotten to where I don't bother logging uninteresting micros. If the fun of hiding a cache is just to see someone log it, then I suggest hiding one worth looking for. :rolleyes: Personally I think lame hides are starting to drive people away from this game.

El Diablo

Yeah, I can see your point there. That is why we try to make our hides interesting, both in location and how it is placed. We try to put a hide out there that will get a reaction, not just a "found it" or "TFTC TNLNSL"

I enjoy my hides as much as the finds and wish more cachers would seek them as I try to make them challenging and interesting, I try to avoid micros and stick with small or standard sizes. I do enjoy reading the logs which are also interesting.

There are nothing wrong with micros, just some of the placements, and of course the same can be said for regular size caches. I've found some great micro hides, and I've found some lame regular caches.

There need to be some sort of guidelines as to what is a suitiable hide. I understand that's a subjective guideline. They had no problems applying them to virtuals when they got out of control.

Scenario....

Cache hider: Submitting my cache for review.

Reviewer: I'm showing it behind a shopping center. Where is it placed?

Cache hider: On a dumpster. :rolleyes:

Reviewer: Why do you think people might find this an interesting cache to find?

Cache hider: Uh...uh...hmm...

Reviewer: What I thought. Cache denied!

That scenario might be the key to helping this sport/game/hobby grow.

Just my not so humble opinion.

El Diablo

I'm in pretty much the same boat as the OP. Urban micros are ok if you hunt them with a few friends as a social event, but alone? No. I've learned that this game is much more fun if you leave urban micros out of it. In fact, as of late I've used GSAK to filter all micros out of my queries, and you know, I'm finding that I'm liking the game more. Micro burnout is unfortunately a part of this game for some of us. The sad thing is, because of all the spew out there, the really GOOD micros get lost in the crowd. And yes, there are some really good micros out there, but they're so few and far between that you really need to look to find them.

Once you get beyond the "numbers" mentality (ok, IF you get beyond that.. some never do) then the game really becomes something special. Sorting through the spew to find quality is time consuming and difficult, but making that effort is rewarding.

There are many times now where I use GSAK to filter out micros so they don't even get loaded into the GPSr. My exceptions to this are any micros that I hear about through the grapevine that sound out of the ordinary and worth the effort. While I have been evolving into a numbers hound, sometimes it is about the destination.

I started caching earlier this year (2006) because a friend/coworker took me to find a couple of urban micros, and I found one of them myself while he was pinning down the coordinates. I was hooked.

For a while we did some urban caches at lunchtime. Just one or two a day. Found a few little parks that I didn't know existed. Whenever we did NOT go at lunch, I would go on the way home. If it was just me, I'd just do one.

I spent the period that Daylight Savings Time was in effect trying to do at least one per day, usually on the way home.

On the weekends, I'd try to grab a cache that was nearby whatever errands I might be running. Sometimes the wife would go and after a while it became clear that she was actively "competing" with me trying to find them before I did, while I was really operating as part of a team. So I play along with her and try to find it first. (When she does find it first, I note that in the log, and I usually say "and wife" when actually signing the logs.)

Then we went on vacation, and I took my geocaching hobby with us. Geocaching while vacationing is very different than when not geocaching. You go to different places. Very cool.

When I got back, the friend that got me started had lost interest. Partly because if the "damage" done by Geowoodstock IV that was around here. Partly because I wasn't there to keep dragging him out...

Later I discovered Waymarking, and more specifically, got hooked on Texas Historical Markers. So I started alternating Waymarking with caching at lunch or after work. Eventually I ran out of markers I could get to at lunch, so I started "going home the long way". When I began the long trips home, I decided to try to grab the closest cache to the Historical Marker I was seeking. Eventually I began checking to see if there was a benchmark nearby too. If so, I'd log that. Messing with that has pointed out how many benchmarks are actually watertowers and stuff...but I digress.

As the days got shorter I got pretty irritated. I'd found all the caches and Texas Historical Markers that I could after work. So I had to give up the after work stuff. I knew I'd have to when the time switched back, but I didn't expect to have to BEFORE that.

I'm not really after numbers. But they do play a part. One day I noticed that the Waymarking total was fast approaching my geocaching total (because sometimes I'd find more than one thing to Waymark at the site of an historical markers). I feel (for some reason) that the number of geocaches needs to stay higher than the Waymarks. So now, once a month, we try to have a geocaching expedition. Also once a month we try to have a Waymarking expedition. The other weekend days that aren't covered by the expeditions, I still TRY to get one Waymark and one geocache. Maybe some day I'll go to an event cache.

My friend, while not actively caching, had been watching the forums and stuff and has gotten so irritated with some of the controversies (found/not found - and dumb micros - and some other stuff) that he has completely given it up and won't even go to the geocaching.com website or to the Waymarking.com website. (Please don't comment on this paragraph...it's not my story.)

I'm trying to get a couple other friends/coworkers into this, by showing them the general location some caches (I've found them but they hadn't), letting them do the final find and sign the log. Neither of them have found the budget to buy a GPSr yet, but one has done a few urbans based solely on Google Maps. I'm kinda hoping they'll get GPSrs for Christmas.

I logged my 180th find today, out with my wife. We "did" a small park (three) and two graveyard caches, one of which was a multi. My wife likes graveyards; she likes the history. The first of the Geocaching Expeditions. It was fun!

Not sure if I'm gonna get one of either tomorrow. Maybe. Might depend on whether we go anywhere. But, since next weekend I will be going across town to visit my parents, I KNOW I'll seek a couple of geocaches and probably an Historical Marker to Waymark.

We're going a few counties south for Thanksgiving. I'm hoping to get a Texas Historical Marker and a cache per county. They'll have to be pretty close to the freeway (thanks GSAK and geocaching.com's new caches-along-a-route), but hey it's a game (or two) and I'm playing them as I want to.

Now I've only done two hides. Both were pretty typical urban micros, because I wanted to do them, and I named them "Cliche" caches. I'm plotting and planning and scheming for the next hide, which will be a small or regular and hopefully NOT a cliche.

I believe that you have to sign the log (except virtuals) to count it as a find. That's my answer to one controversy. I think you should log all DNFs, if you made it to the coordinates and actually looked (or if you got out of the car to look, when seeking urbans). I have minor handicap-a bad leg. I'll NEVER be able to get a cache with a terrain rating of 4 or 5, and 3 will probably be a strain, so many of the caches that you guys think are quality caches are forever out of my reach.

So that's MY story. Geocaching has brought some fun to my errands, in addition to giving me reasons to visit a park and have a nice walk. It's also brought me an interest in history via my interest in Waymarking. I'm noticing things that I'd previously never looked at. I'm getting a kick out of finding stuff that other people don't know exists. I'm having fun.

I'm in pretty much the same boat as the OP. Urban micros are ok if you hunt them with a few friends as a social event, but alone? No. I've learned that this game is much more fun if you leave urban micros out of it. In fact, as of late I've used GSAK to filter all micros out of my queries, and you know, I'm finding that I'm liking the game more. Micro burnout is unfortunately a part of this game for some of us. The sad thing is, because of all the spew out there, the really GOOD micros get lost in the crowd. And yes, there are some really good micros out there, but they're so few and far between that you really need to look to find them.

Once you get beyond the "numbers" mentality (ok, IF you get beyond that.. some never do) then the game really becomes something special. Sorting through the spew to find quality is time consuming and difficult, but making that effort is rewarding.

Well said! :rolleyes: I'm really glad to hear that more and more people are feeling the way I do! :ph34r:

P.S. Too bad I missed caching with you when you came out to San Diego. Maybe next time!

Edited by TrailGators

Yep...same pack frame I bought on base in '85, and even though I have run through 3 different packs on it, I have it adjusted perfectly so that it fits me like a pair of well broken in jeans. :rolleyes: Thousands of miles, through hell then back, and I can't seem to get another pack that rides on me so well. ALICE will always be my girl at this rate, and the Mrs. doesn't mind.

On a serious note in line with the original post, I am not alone, apparently. Thanks for reading folks and replying. If we keep up the noise, eventually it will be all about the journey and destination, and forget the numbers.

El Diablo, you nailed it...if reading cool logs turn the hider on, make interesting caches. The more fun I had on one, the more detailed and fun the log. If it is another lamppost hide, be prepared for the generic copy and paste type log that is generally written on an urban cache.

I am NOT knocking all urban micros, I was just stating that they caused a serious flameout in the caching engine. Lord knows I have hunted down a few hundred of them, and will grab a few occasionally in the future.

Carry on with the hunt, folks!

I find the urban micros as they come along, but the QUALITY caches require a bit pf planning.

It IS about the journey, and what you find along the way.

Sometimes you find a gum wrapper.

Sometimes you find a $50 bill!

Since becoming a parent of kids not old enough to hike yet, I haven't done much other than maintaining my two caches in the last three years. In my semi-retirement TONS of micro caches now litter the area around my pride and joy. So much so that hardly anyone bothers to visit it anymore. I was really peeved by the proliferation of so many drive by micro caches. I longed for the days when there weren't so many caches in the Chicago area and the majority required at least some hiking in woods. It seemed there was a more rugged element to Geocaching then. But in reading the log entries of the micro caches I sneered at, I realized many people really, really enjoy going after them. So who am I to judge?

Hunting for my type of Geocache requires much more effort now. Of the caches in my area, I don't even bother reading the description if it isn't at least a 2 terrain difficulty. And even that doesn't guarantee it'll be worth the read let alone the trip.

Oh well, back to my rocking chair.

which cache? I'll go take a look! If you're talking about Skokie lagoon - dude.... I'd be PO'ed If I got there and got a DNF - that'd be a heck of a trek!

Edited by mgbmusic

Calling it 'Geocaching Maturity' would seem to indicate that those who disagree with you are 'immature'?

Geocaching has many things to offer many people (some since archived.) I've done twelve mile geocaching trips. And enjoyed them very much. But if that were all that geocaching had to offer, I would not be here. And, quite frankly, there are not a lot of twelve-mile caching trips available around here.

I find 'urban micro' to be a misnomer, if it's intended to mean 'lame micro'. Most of the caches I've done in NYC were very well done. Around here, the problem is 'suburban spew'. Do I tire of them? Definitely. But they're fun on trips. I'm also rather tired of trailhead micros. There's plenty of room to put something larger! Then again, I've found some very lame ammo cans. XYZ Preserve. Okay, I guess it's nice to preserve open space. Okay, it's sort of a swampy field. Boring! Wonder why they bothered to preserve it? Guess it was too wet to build on?

On the other fin, geocaching has introduced me to some tremendous places that I would never have known about. I do a lot of .4 to 1 mile geocaching hikes. I found myself in Sullivan County, New York this weekend. Eight caches in Basher Kill Preserve. I only had time for two, but WOW!!! Thanks for bringing me here!!

Myself, I have a few two-mile hike caches. I think that they are special places (but then again, I think that of my urban micros.) I can't say that they get a lot of visits, but they bring you somewhere worth visiting.

To recap: Geocaching has something to offer almost anyone. Just because you prefer long hikes does not mean that that is the only way the game should be played. And calling your way the 'mature' way is rather insulting.

I agree with the initial comments. We are not really into micros (in any form) but we will seek them from time to time though we prefer larger ones. Living in Seattle means we have to travel farther afield to find those so that means our geocaching has tapered off a bit.

That being said, I would take geocaching over yardwork, home projects, cleaning, watching TV or websurfing as a form of entertainment.

Calling it 'Geocaching Maturity' would seem to indicate that those who disagree with you are 'immature'?

Maturity, as in growth. It's not a bad word.

BlueDeuce, you nailed it. THAT was my original point here. Sorry Harry missed it. There is more to life than lamp post micros. We have found some really really neat micros, but the majority fall into the "please not another embarrassing public shrub dive or lamppost or newspaper box hide".

I am quite sure that there are thousands of better uses for 35MM film canisters instead of holding moldy logs under a lamp skirt. Ditto for magnetic key holders.

Did around 8-9 miles hiking today on a neat trail, saw deer from 60' away, cypress trees,oaks, and pine forest...beautiful. It was a fun journey with lots to see and a few challenging hides along the way.

Now that I'm back home, I guess I need to bust this out before anyone else gets misled by the title:

0c3f22fe-2fa8-466a-89f6-353f5b81fa48.jpg

We have learned as a couple that there is so much more available than micro spew. But if that kind gets your motor turning, have fun, we'll pass. Give me a challenging,interesting, clever micro, and I will write quite a bit in my log, if it was worth it. Stick a 35MM under a lamppost skirt and I'll be gone to look for more challenging and fun ones. We have just grown to loathe the lame ones.

Now to download my track and waypoint log from today's hike, log them all, then it's Miller Time :)

... the numbers meant so little to me that I logged them days later if I bothered to log them at all. This is in contrast to before, when I used to log them IMMEDIATELY upon walking in the door from a day of hunting. It's more about the journey now, and friends made, and experiences shared....

Logs are not about numbers. They are for you as a finder to help track what you found and more importantly they are for the owner so they know their cache is being enjoyed, or at least still doing ok.

Over time my number went from "Gotta get them all" to "Gotta get them all in my town"ain't never going to get them all" Once things flipped to impossible to keep up I set my personal goal of 1000, then stopped finding caches to deal with some real life events that demand my attention. When I get back to it I'll excercise a lot more discression as there are now "To many good ones to do them all" so I can exercise some judgment, and get back to placing the kinds of caches that I like.

... the numbers meant so little to me that I logged them days later if I bothered to log them at all. This is in contrast to before, when I used to log them IMMEDIATELY upon walking in the door from a day of hunting. It's more about the journey now, and friends made, and experiences shared....

Logs are not about numbers. They are for you as a finder to help track what you found and more importantly they are for the owner so they know their cache is being enjoyed, or at least still doing ok.

Over time my number went from "Gotta get them all" to "Gotta get them all in my town"ain't never going to get them all" Once things flipped to impossible to keep up I set my personal goal of 1000, then stopped finding caches to deal with some real life events that demand my attention. When I get back to it I'll excercise a lot more discression as there are now "To many good ones to do them all" so I can exercise some judgment, and get back to placing the kinds of caches that I like.

Sorry, I have 45 guests in my house right now. I needed to get away but only have time to respond that Rk is straight on target.

This is where I'm at too! I'm tired of the numbers rat race, but I'm not tired of enjoying a few great caches! So now I make it a point to find the better caches and let those caches owners know how much I really enjoyed their extra time and effort! :) Edited by TrailGators

I go though phases of liking different things, and wanting different things from caching--but I don't think I would want to think of it as "maturing"--to me, that implies that you've reached your peak and it's all about getting older and more feeble from here on out! Certainly not what I want to happen to me, anyway! :)

Seriously, I do think that what I want has changed over time---but I expect that it will change even more in the future. I don't think of how I cache as something static or one-directional.

In the beginning, I wanted to see "one of everything" out there--so I could know what I liked best. Then I realized that was never going to happen--and I started wanting to "clear out my nearest to home" Well, some of those were archived before I found them, and others are in their place, so I'm probably never going to achieve that either.

For a few months, I wanted to hunt the devious ones. I enjoyed the challenge. Then I came across some in wonderful places--and got interested in caches that took me to places I would never discover otherwise. A nice hiking experience got me interested in scenic trips and for a few weeks I only wanted to do those---and then spring ticks and summer humidity cured me of that notion until this fall and winter!

I realize now that I want it ALL! At least right now that is what I want. Next month, it will be something else. I figure it's all good, as long as I never want to quit entirely.

Edited by Neos2

I'll take mild exception to the use of the word maturity myself. Evolution, yes but maturity? The nature of what you enjoy in geocaching has changed. It may change again. The issue I have have with this thread (and the many others like it) is the mildly judgmental attitude - "smarter man". Hey, he's a great guy no doubt, but his smarts consist of doing something for fun and his luck is that he's still finding it fun.

You thought it was fun (running numbers in urban caching) "make me so happy to go out with my wife on an urban run and grab 20-30 smilies in a few hours". Great, glad you enjoyed it. Some other people STILL DO. And they aren't immature, they're just doing what they enjoy. Which is what this game is about.

Back in my hippy dippy days I lived on a farm in West Virginia - very 19th century. No electricity, no running water. Cooked on a wood stove. One of the guys living there returned from a trip with new girl friend. She was overwhelmed with the place. All that work, just to make a meal. I remember her telling me, "I don't like to sweat". I was shocked.

Shocked to my very core, both that it could be true (don't like to sweat? you might as well not like breathing) and that she would admit it. It seemed like a moral failing to me, somehow. But it isn't you know. She can and did go back to an urban life, with workouts in an air conditioned gym. Living a fine and productive life not sweating and not on the farm.

There are cachers that don't like to sweat, and don't want to encounter snakes or mosquitos or poison ivy. There are cachers that get a little "I found it" thrill each and every time they find it. Even if it's just a skirt lifter.

Numbers are an interesting issue. My husband and I went caching yesterday. Went about 5 miles finding 5 caches in a preserve south of us. A few years ago we went to that preserve to find the only 2 caches in it. Walked quite a bit further for just the 2. Today, I'm not sure I would return for 1 cache, but I did for 5. (2 ammo cans 2 decons and a micro - I enjoyed the micro the most, as it was the only hide I had to hunt for, BTW). I like seeking and finding. So seeking and finding 5 times is more fun that seeking and finding once.

I notice you went to a preserve where there are around 15 new hides. Would you have made the same hike for one? As it happens there are just 2 hides in that same preserve accessible from the more northern parking, and they get darn few visits. So even among those who like to hike in the woods (me, you) numbers of caches attract.

"Some folks have grown so snobbish because they have so many more finds, and think they are superior to you as a human being". I'm sorry if you've encountered this, I can honestly say I never have. I've cached a couple of times with the folks that work numbers the hardest (CCCA and in Florida legna&s0ulbAit) - just nice folks that are honest about being numbers competitive. Once in a while that kind of running is fun, though I lack the endurance to really cache with them, so I follow for a bit and then drop out.

I was prepared to jump into this thread with my standard 'if you don't like them, don't hunt them' response when I got to thinking about my own feelings about the maturity of the game and my own changing feelings about this maturity. It got me thinking of this post that I made in 2002 in a thread about locationless caches:

Just to give a voice to the other side of the argument, I kinda like virtuals.

Lately, the middle Tennessee area has been so overwhelmed with micro caches scattered about like so many easter eggs that virtuals are like a holiday. I like the fact that locationless virtuals do not come up in my regular searches. This allows me to go after locationless virtuals and not be bothered by non-virtuals, or go after 'real' caches and not have locationless virts cluttering the place up.

We have a good way to segregate locationless from 'real' caches, so I have no problem with either. The only caches that I truly despise are those that are truly lame.

I have three caches out there right now: a challenging regular cache (in ammo box), a virtual cache, and a locationless cache. I realize that the chances of anyone being jazzed by all three of these is unlikely, but I think they all have merit.

Now if we could do something about the 'easter egg' micros...

Like most posters to this thread, I was sick and tired of going from lame micro to lame micro as I tried to find all the caches in my area. I would have been happy if TPTB put some type of rule in place that would limit the amount of micros that could be placed.

A number of things have happened that have changed my opinion. First, the number of cache placements in my area exploded. I was forced to realize that I could not hope to keep my area 'cleared'. No matter how hard I worked to find them all (within reason and limiting marital discord) There would always be more local caches to find. Perhaps, I could concentrate on the caches that I would probably enjoy and not find the ones that I probably wouldn't like.

Second, pocket queries were introduced and local people like Robert Lipe and JoGPS had gone paperless. They were convinced that it was the greatest thing since sliced bread, so I gave it a try. I was impressed. I still included all caches in my download, but by taking a look at the cache description before hitting <GOTO>, I could avoid caches that I wasn't in the mood for.

Third, I had my accident. I remember how frustrating it was to not be able to comfortably walk even 100 feet to a cache. The pain was severly limiting my fun. Easy peasy micros were helpful in getting me through. At least I was still able to get out of the house and do something that I enjoyed. Granted, I was still in pain and the caches weren't all great, but they got me out of the house and out of my funk.

So here we are in the present. I now receive three PQs a week: Local micros with a terrain rating over 1, local non-micros, and all caches. They are all loaded into my PDA and GPSr so I can easily look for the kinds of caches that I am in the mood for.

Do I still end up finding 'lame' caches. Of course I do, but I've found that lameness has mostly to do with my mindset, not the hiding style of the cache owner. For instance, I didn't have to go to work on Friday. To celebrate the Corps' birthday, I went geocaching. At some point, I found myself in the lot behind a fast food restaurant, logging a find on a small cache. As I thought about how lame the location was, I spotted a rabbit sitting about 25 feet from me. I had my camera with me, so I snapped a quick pic. He bolted, so I got a couple of him in flight.

c73cfe53-eb87-48bb-98dd-9930d24d13de.jpg

3f8b8ba2-c6fe-4d74-9477-f755c393da41.jpg

df4e0d1b-fced-4202-9550-0eb11e0ebf68.jpg

Granted, a stray rabbit isn't awesome widlife, but it reminded me to work harder to find interesting things around me. It also gave me a chance to play with my new Canon 20d.

Edited by sbell111
....So here we are in the present.... Do I still end up finding 'lame' caches. Of course I do, but I've found that lameness has mostly to do with my mindset, not the hiding style of the cache owner.
Good attititude! :) But I still think we need to influence newbies and others to try a little harder. :) Edited by TrailGators

There have been a lot of good points brought up here about the micro craze. Personally my wife and I prefer to do the regular size caches in the woods. However, a well done micro hide is sometimes worth the effort. One problem we have in our area is that there are too many micros hidden in good wooded areas that eliminate the space for a well done regular cache hide. There are a few good ones, but mostly they are usually the result of impulse hides instead of well planned hides by cachers visiting other caches. It all plays into a numbers game again. Not for the number of cache finds, but rather the number of cache hides. Thus it leads to sloppy and predictable caches.

We try to avoid urban micros as we always feel as though we are drawing attention to ourselves, trespassing, or just plain uncomfortable searching the urban area. We haven't ruled them out completely as we can assume the quality of the cache by the hider that is placing it. Fortunately our urban micro spew is not as overwhelming as larger cities. We live in the Quad-Cities area and we usually have plenty of open wooded areas to hunt for caches.

Another item of note while reading the previous posts is that others are getting into benchmarks and Waymarking. My wife and I are beginning to direct our efforts this way as well for a little variety in our hunting. We are also looking at Terracaching (probably a bad word here) as caches considered lame in Terracaching will not last long thanks to the logs and input from the hunters. This would include caches of any size. The benefit for us with all of the above mentioned activities is that we once again can enjoy some good outdoor activity and remain relatively close to home.

I guess we have mixed feelings when it comes to micro caches. At one point every new cache that came out was a micro, sometimes to the tune of up to four or five per day. I broke the mold and placed a few new ammo box caches, in which each had several log entries indicating that the finders hope the ammo box cache in the woods would be an idea that catches on in Geocaching again. My slogan of "Long Live the Ammo Box Caches" has been echoed on several log entires as our Geocaching community is also hungry for non-micro size caches.

With all that being said, in the end it is about the hunt. Our preference is a good hike instead of a drive up and dash cache. Make me get out and really hike to get to my cache. If it's a micro at the end, so be it. Just make it a darn good one.

SpaceCowboy

P.S. Hello to BlueDeuce. We just happened to bump into each other earlier this year. Ironically we were both searching for the same micro cache near Coralville Lake. At least it required a hike, had a good view, and provided a challenge as we both came up empty.

Edited by SpaceCowboy & PattyAnn

..... In my opinion, benchmarking is more boring than a day full of LPMs.

Your not alone in that opinion. Benchmarks always remind me of my intern days working for a couple of surveyors. They would take met out to the gravel pit, hand me a shovel, make a show of the force telling them where the benchmark was at then tell me to dig and find it. They would then snooze while I dug for the mark. After awhile they would wake up refreshed, tell me that it must be gone and we would get back to real work.

Benchmarking has never been a temptation.

..... In my opinion, benchmarking is more boring than a day full of LPMs.

Your not alone in that opinion. Benchmarks always remind me of my intern days working for a couple of surveyors. They would take met out to the gravel pit, hand me a shovel, make a show of the force telling them where the benchmark was at then tell me to dig and find it. They would then snooze while I dug for the mark. After awhile they would wake up refreshed, tell me that it must be gone and we would get back to real work. Benchmarking has never been a temptation.

I have only logged benchmarks when I stumbled across them while geocaching and if I remembered stumbling across them when I get home to log my finds for the day. Edited by TrailGators

It always surprises me when someone posts about there being too many lame micros and then mentions that they like benchmarking. In my opinion, benchmarking is more boring than a day full of LPMs.

Well I can assume that you are referring to my post as you made the quick comment immediately afterwards. In my post I mentioned benchmarks as a variety to the hunt, which does not necessarily mean that benchmark hunting will be the specific activity for the day. If there happens to be one relatively close to an area that I may be caching, Waymarking or Terracaching, then I may be inclined to check it out. Some of the discs can be rather interesting. It all boils down to personal taste.

Happy hunting.

Well I can assume that you are referring to my post as you made the quick comment immediately afterwards. ...

Your post did spark my thinking, but you are not the first poster to share the impression that benchmarks are good while urban micros tend to be bad. For that reason, I did not quote your post.

Well I can assume that you are referring to my post as you made the quick comment immediately afterwards. ...

Your post did spark my thinking, but you are not the first poster to share the impression that benchmarks are good while urban micros tend to be bad. For that reason, I did not quote your post.

I do think benchmarks are more interesting than LPCs. I didn't used to think that way but now I do! You can't find a benchmark by pointing at a lamp post 200 feet away when you're driving by it in your car. :laughing: Most benchmarks are a little bit tougher to find than that! :laughing:

I do think benchmarks are more interesting than LPCs. I didn't used to think that way but now I do! You can't find a benchmark by pointing at a lamp post 200 feet away when you're driving by it in your car. :ph34r: Most benchmarks are a little bit tougher to find than that! :laughing:

I am not lone. :laughing:

I'll take mild exception to the use of the word maturity myself. Evolution, yes but maturity? The nature of what you enjoy in geocaching has changed. It may change again. The issue I have have with this thread (and the many others like it) is the mildly judgmental attitude - "smarter man". Hey, he's a great guy no doubt, but his smarts consist of doing something for fun and his luck is that he's still finding it fun.

If you took exception to it, that's YOUR perception. I don't believe you were called out as a prolific hider of boring micros simply because you aren't. If this thread offends you, please move along.No one forced you to read it. The FGA forums are much more tame, I hear.

You thought it was fun (running numbers in urban caching) "make me so happy to go out with my wife on an urban run and grab 20-30 smilies in a few hours". Great, glad you enjoyed it.

Yep used to, but got bored with the lack of imagination,creativity, and over-abundance of dumpster scenery, along with destroying public shrubbery.

Some other people STILL DO. And they aren't immature, they're just doing what they enjoy. Which is what this game is about.

I don't believe I called anyone immature, either. My spouse and I have evolved (feel better?) into a stage of wanting to find something creative, something entertaining, somewhere to grab a nice cup of coffee or take a break...a REASON to hunt and log a find. Good for other people, I glad they enjoy it. I did not come here to foist an opinion that all lame micros be banned and no one should hunt them. I was simply stating my thoughts on what drives the spouse and I.

I notice you went to a preserve where there are around 15 new hides. Would you have made the same hike for one? As it happens there are just 2 hides in that same preserve accessible from the more northern parking, and they get darn few visits. So even among those who like to hike in the woods (me, you) numbers of caches attract.

Since you took the time to notice THAT, did you also take the time to notice GCJ5F1 (1 cache-5mile hike), GCTDKK (1 cache-9 mile hike), or GC7A68+GCYWBR (2 caches-8miles), or GCT8Z4 (1 cache-6+ miles)? I would and have made long hikes for one or two finds, as the hides are inventive and /or the scenery is beautiful. There is a REASON to hunt them. No lamppost skirts to raise, no dumpsters or trash piles to hunt in, no mindless rock flipping when there is a micro buried somewhere in 1'000s of rocks in a pile, no stepping over BCDs and used feminine hygiene products... If I want to hunt in town for micros, please let there be a reason other than the fact that it's at least 528' from the last shrub dive/lampost skirt hide.

Anyone can throw a 35mm canister under a pile of rocks or hang it in a bag in public shrubbery to destroy. We find it thoughtless and pointless to hunt these anymore. We have grown/matured/evolved into enjoying looking for something better. This game can be so much fun with the higher quality hides.

The more I think about it, there is a reason I am on this forum so much more than the FGA's... no cliques to run afoul of, even though some from there occasionally drift over here. I considered locking this thread, although a tad late apparently, as I can only imagine the yowling through the phone lines of the Tampa Bay area. I made an observation with my OP and you took offense. Please skip reading through any threads I create here, and save us both the aggravation. I'm off now to plan next weekend's hike, 2 caches in 11 miles in 4 star terrain. I hope that you have fun doing whatever floats your boat, and I'll do the same...the crusade for higher quality caches is underway.

Edited by Mr. & Mrs. Lighteye

Maturity, as in growth. It's not a bad word.

BlueDeuce, you nailed it. THAT was my original point here. Sorry Harry missed it. There is more to life than lamp post micros. We have found some really really neat micros, but the majority fall into the "please not another embarrassing public shrub dive or lamppost or newspaper box hide".

Not sure what Harry missed here. But I do see that you verified my conclusion:

To recap: Geocaching has something to offer almost anyone. Just because you prefer long hikes does not mean that that is the only way the game should be played. And calling your way the 'mature' way is rather insulting.

Then you continued with

QUOTE(Isonzo Karst @ Nov 13 2006, 06:15 AM)

If you took exception to it, that's YOUR perception. I don't believe you were called out as a prolific hider of boring micros simply because you aren't. If this thread offends you, please move along.No one forced you to read it. The FGA forums are much more tame, I hear.

Maturity? Growth? Not sure I see the difference. Other than that anyone who disagrees with you is welcome to ignore this thread. Since you ignored my point entirely, I'll leave you to your mutual admiration society.

1. Yes, at first it was a rush. Especially being FTF; now it's more enjoyable to put out caches and see who is going to be the FTF.

2. Has allowed me to go places, and see things I never would have otherwise in four+ years.

3. Allowed me to have two lower inguinal hernias, and have them fixed. As this is no fun at all, I recommend avoiding doing this now or in the future for anybody.

4. Has allowed me to lose a substantial amount of weight, and feel much better, since this is a good thing I will continue to do it.

5. Has given me a tremendous amount of respect for the outdoors.

6. Unfortunately has shown me to people/things/muggles/a**####s that steal things and deprive others of their hard earned fun. This allows me to continue to have NO respect for people like this, and I will continue to do so.

7. Allows me to see whether or not it is really enjoyable to have to solve some of the worlds 18 mysteries, and the puzzles that go with them, to simply find a container, or just go for a pleasant walk and find a container. I prefer the walk without the "puzzle of how the pyramids were built in seventy days or less", along with my camera to share pictures with others in the galleries.

8. It continues to be good clean fun, and great mental and physical exercise for me.

Edited by Colorado Cacher

I recently had some thoughts about this sport/hobby/addiction that we all participate in, and wanted to see if others feel this as well...

I took a well-earned break from the forums the last few months after my fight against Micro Spew and The New Numbers Game started to become just a bit too personal during some of the discussions, especially post-GW4. I've been quietly lurking the forums in recent weeks, easing my foot back into the water and resisting the urge to get involved in the "same ol' conflicts" that I now realize are no-win situations. This is my first post since my self-imposed moratorium.

All I care to say with regard to the OP is: I could have written it about myself! So, Mr. & Mrs. Lighteye, consider me another kindred spirit on your issue and your points.

I'm not too picky I guess. I definitely enjoy the hikes/views above everything else, but I don't ignore the other caches either.

Actually, I am big on clearing areas of my map. My PQ covers a 30 mile radius, and I tend to go to areas and clear them out, regardless of what cache types they are. There's just something about looking at my PQ in Google Earth and seeing no caches in an area that makes me smile. Right now I have everything within 10 miles of my house, so my map looks like a donut, but now I've gone north and am working my way clockwise around the donut to clear everything out (still 490+ caches to go).

Of course by doing it that way I also have to do all of the lame caches (which are lame to me but not to other people) but on more than several occassions I've been pleasantly surprised by the hiding style or a location for a cache that I would have probably ignored based on a preconceived notion that it would be lame.