Calling all Geocampers!

HazelS

Earlier in the year, several of us hardened Geocampers decided it owuld be a good idea to get as many of the camping events as possible booked early so that we ensure they don't clash with each other.

This is my contribution!

Let's Go Camping in Cheshire #2

I have managed to secure a group booking for Fri 18th - Sun 20th May 2007 at the site below

Elm Cottage Campsite

The site is between Northwich and Winsford - Ideally sited for those great clusters of caches around Northwich!

The site is about 12 miles form Chester and for you speed Fiends, about 3 miles from Oulton Park,although I don't know what racing will be on that weekend!

There'sa Real Ale pub only 400 yds from the site, and I'll make sure we get a bookin for a day event on the Sunday.

Cache site will be produced as soon as TPTB will allow! :anibad:

Earlier in the year, several of us hardened Geocampers decided it owuld be a good idea to get as many of the camping events as possible booked early so that we ensure they don't clash with each other.

Cache site will be produced as soon as TPTB will allow! :anibad:

Is it possible to set the page up now, give it a placed date as far in advance as is possible, and then amend this at the end of each month until it displays the actual dates. As long as the first line of the cache page, in BIG BOLD letters says what the correct camping dates are, it shouldn't be a problem, and does mean that the cache is listed ASAP.

This was done for, I think, the Carry on Camping event?

As an aside, why can't we list events earlier? surely TPTB understand that people may need to book holidays, hotels, possibly even flights. The current restrictions seem a bit unnecessary...

Oh, and I expect we'll be there!

This is my contribution!

I have managed to secure a group booking for Fri 18th - Sun 20th May 2007 at the site below

Elm Cottage Campsite

The site is between Northwich and Winsford - Ideally sited for those great clusters of caches around Northwich!

The site is about 12 miles form Chester and for you speed Fiends, about 3 miles from Oulton Park,although I don't know what racing will be on that weekend!

There'sa Real Ale pub only 400 yds from the site, and I'll make sure we get a bookin for a day event on the Sunday.

Cache site will be produced as soon as TPTB will allow! :rolleyes:

That looks great Hazel! I will be there if the broomstick allows

This is my contribution!

Elm Cottage Campsite

Cache site will be produced as soon as TPTB will allow! :rolleyes:

Will this be on the main site or the rally field? Looks like our first camping event of 2007 is already sorted out. ;)

Main camping field Keith.... There is hookups for those that need them.

we can spill onto the larger rally field if necessary, but I've prebooked 20 pitches as a starter!

I believe the price will be about £6 per pitch per night.

Edited by HazelS

As you know we cannot normally publish events more than about 3 months in advance. This limitation is in place to prevent the weekly notification list being overburdened with future events. In exceptional circumstances we have some leeway, but I stress this is only done rarely.

My colleagues and I have been discussing how we can help the forward planning of events and we have come up with one idea which might work. This is to use a Google Calendar which is visible to all. Util this afternoon I'd not used one before but I quickly knocked one up which you can see here (hopefully!) Our idea was that it could be used for both published events and also planned ones which are too far in the future to be publishable.

Let me know if you think this could work. Also, if you've used this facility before please feel free to make (polite :unsure: ) suggestions. If we can make it work I would anticipate having a link to it, plus some information in a pinned topic at the top of this forum.

Hmmmm..... we already have a calendar on GC:UK which is automagically added to for published events.

How's this for an idea:

I want to organise an event for next August (or whenever)

I make the page and submit it for review.

Obviously, the file cannot be reveiwed, but the reviewer could post an "published in principal" note.

At this point, the GPX file could be downloaded by me and sent to GC:UK for pumping into their database, thus filling the calendar.

OK, this would need co-operation from Ian/Brian I guess.

Thoughts?

As you know we cannot normally publish events more than about 3 months in advance. This limitation is in place to prevent the weekly notification list being overburdened with future events. In exceptional circumstances we have some leeway, but I stress this is only done rarely.

My colleagues and I have been discussing how we can help the forward planning of events and we have come up with one idea which might work. This is to use a Google Calendar which is visible to all. Util this afternoon I'd not used one before but I quickly knocked one up which you can see here (hopefully!) Our idea was that it could be used for both published events and also planned ones which are too far in the future to be publishable.

Let me know if you think this could work. Also, if you've used this facility before please feel free to make (polite :) ) suggestions. If we can make it work I would anticipate having a link to it, plus some information in a pinned topic at the top of this forum.

Nice idea and I'm sure we all appreciate the work you're putting in to make this easy.

I think the main concern here was that an event was put into the calendar and then rejected for whatever reason (does this happen?)

Surely this is something that Groundspeak up above could have a think about?

I work with these types of databases myself and it's easy to put filters into auto-emails to take out ones that happen say, so far in advance etc.

What if (ooh, here goes one), we were allowed to put them in months in advance, but then disable them?

This way, those of us who want to run queries against events etc. can do?

The other thing (which is outside of Groundspeaks remit) is that I find the easiest way to find out which events are when is to look on gcuk. Maybe if we have the calendar, we can also link it this way?

Or mebbe a complete rethink is needed? I would have thought this actually is more of a problem in the US.

Say I lived in Texas, I'm probably not going to want to know which NY events are going to happen. However, I also have a job which means that I have to plan a long way in advance. How do I know which events are in the Texas area (or say 150 mile radius) in the next 12 months? A calendar won't help me much because it will hold all the US data, not just my local stuff.

Just my 2 pence worth, please don't flame me, I'm trying to make suggestions :) :) :)

Having realised that this campsite is about 5 or 6 miles from the newest Go Ape Project, there's been some discussion about trying to secure a group booking for alte in the afternoon of the Saturday of this camping Event.

Go Ape

Anyone up for it???

There was a Go Ape event in the lakes last year and it was very well attended and everyone loved it, so now's your chance to combine the two....

Let me know, and I'll see what I can do!

Hazel

Unless I can find some way of converting hubby to caching properly beforehand. Any ideas?!!!

Sorry, but as a “Non Caching partner ™” owner, the upgrade from v1.0 to the required v2.0 wont instal due to incompatible hardware configuration. <_<:unsure:

However if you mange to get the "let's go caching darling.... I will make it worth your while ©" patch to instal please send me your settings and I will try them in my model. :rolleyes::angry:

Unless I can find some way of converting hubby to caching properly beforehand. Any ideas?!!!

Sorry, but as a “Non Caching partner ™” owner, the upgrade from v1.0 to the required v2.0 wont instal due to incompatible hardware configuration. <_<:unsure:

However if you mange to get the "let's go caching darling.... I will make it worth your while ©" patch to instal please send me your settings and I will try them in my model. :rolleyes::angry:

And everyone laughs at me because one of my criteria for my men is that they MUST be cachers, or VERY open to the idea of caching..... See, there IS method in my madness!

Hmm, May 20th.... I'm sure there's something i should be remembering about May 20th.......

ah, got it. Anniversary. First.

Chances of a pass to a caching event that weekend will be roughly NIL. :rolleyes: Unless I can find some way of converting hubby to caching properly beforehand. Any ideas?!!!

If you can persuade Simply Paul to bring some of his nice lady friends along,that may help in converting hubby.If not,never mind,I'll enjoy it anyways! <_<

Having realised that this campsite is about 5 or 6 miles from the newest Go Ape Project, there's been some discussion about trying to secure a group booking for alte in the afternoon of the Saturday of this camping Event.

Go Ape

Anyone up for it???

We'd absolutely love to but I think Horrid Henry would revolt if we went and had all the fun as kids have to be 10 and over 4 ft 7in. :):)

This is my contribution!

Elm Cottage Campsite

Cache site will be produced as soon as TPTB will allow! :)

I'm up for it.