Northeastern Autumn event

I'm thinking of an event for early/mid november. You will need to find 2 caches to find event so yer can log 3 caches just for the event alone... now for the cruncher..

I was thinking that any cacher who attends will have to do, as we call it up norft, a turn.. Be is a song a recitation a poem.. funny or serious.. This just to add a slant and a bit of fun to the occasion.. :):D

What do yer recon, would you attend if you HAD to stand up an make a fool of yer self to log the event.

Comments.. an keep em clean, there are children watching :)

Moss

To me it sounds a good idea, but I warn you that I may do a technical introduction to satellite navigation technology and boar you all to death. :)

Actually this presentation is not overly different from the idea of “BarCamp”. At the recent BarCampLondon I actually gave an introduction to Geocaching.

Actually the challenge to find the event is also not a bad one, just a long as it is not to hard.

I'm thinking of an event for early/mid november. You will need to find 2 caches to find event so yer can log 3 caches just for the event alone... now for the cruncher..

I was thinking that any cacher who attends will have to do, as we call it up norft, a turn.. Be is a song a recitation a poem.. funny or serious.. This just to add a slant and a bit of fun to the occasion.. :):)

What do yer recon, would you attend if you HAD to stand up an make a fool of yer self to log the event.

Moss

No I would not attend if I HAD to do "a turn".

I have been known to get up and walk out of a club with coat in hand simply because some fool had stuck a mic in my face and wouldn't take no for an answer :D

I take it out-of-towners won't be welcome then? Having to find 2 caches before the event makes it very difficult for anyone coming for the day, and possibility of DNFs on any of the 2 makes it a waste of travelling all that way.

T

You have done the find a cache to find the event before Moss and you know it works, so go with what you think is best. :)

But I do like Dave's idea of posting the coordinates for the pub, but still having 2 caches to find before the event and if you find them then you need not do your "turn", you could put a word on the lid of the two caches say for example MOSS on box one and TROOPER on the lid of box two and ask the attendees what the words were, and if they can tell you they don't do the forfeit. :)

Any way Moss you do what you think is best and the rest of us will go with the flow, you know all the local cachers are as mad as fish up here :)

I don't think it would be a problem for people travelling a longer distance to find 2 easy caches most folks cache before meets anyway, they could find the caches or do the "turn" it's only a laugh. :D another thing could be if you don't find the caches and don't want to do the turn would you please donate 1.00 to GNAA who the local geocachers will be raising money for next year.

Moss why don't you try copying and pasting this thread to some of the locals, lots of them don't come into the forums and see what they think.

My 2p worth

Mandy :)

If an event has certain criteria that need to be fulfilled before you can log then what’s the difference between that and having to send an email or a photo to log a cache? You could always still turn up and enjoy the company: unless it’s just another notch you’re after.

The finding of a cache before you attend just makes it a multi-cache event, doesn’t it? If people were overly concerned about a stage of a multi being missing, no-one would ever do one that was more than ten miles from home. It makes it a challenge and if you don't find the event there're a billion caches to do around here.

It’s back to that old caching chestnut isn’t it? If you don’t like micros, don’t do ‘em; if you don’t like rubbish don’t do a CITO yada yada yada. I didn’t go camping recently but I haven’t whinged about it. Actually…

<climbs into rear end of pantomime horse>

<LIGHTS CAMERA ACTION>

The finding of a cache before you attend just makes it a multi-cache event, doesn’t it? If people were overly concerned about a stage of a multi being missing, no-one would ever do one that was more than ten miles from home. It makes it a challenge and if you don't find the event there're a billion caches to do around here.

Not really the point if you are travelling over 100 miles to go to an event (which plenty of us often do).

T

I don’t think there are too many of us that have actually attended a Moss event?

Well, as someone who has (and with a similar criteria of finding a cache beforehand) it’s not that difficult – check it out at GCG24V.

I think people have become used to caching events either being on their own doorstep or they are just so common that they don’t have to do any work on the way. So what’s the problem with doing something different?

The argument that people not from the area wouldn’t attend simply doesn’t hold water…unless we were a more determined bunch way back then. That event was no way local to us and many people travelled a lot more than our paltry 50 odd miles.

The ‘turn’ thing might put people off but the suggested alternatives sounds fine.

I was thinking that any cacher who attends will have to do, as we call it up norft, a turn.. Be is a song a recitation a poem.. funny or serious.. This just to add a slant and a bit of fun to the occasion.. :):)

Moss

No I would not attend if I HAD to do "a turn".

I have been known to get up and walk out of a club with coat in hand simply because some fool had stuck a mic in my face and wouldn't take no for an answer :D

Message to Moss Trooper.Can you get a refund on the postage for stora's invite. :D

PS..I always have "a turn" whenever I have a DNF :)

Edited by currykev

Aint it a shame when folks seem to moan that you have to cache to find an event.. then want to just sit an waffle.. let yer hair down fer pity sake.. is a laugh and if you can't laugh at yer self then who can you laugh at.. And who is going to know apart from a bunch of wacko's looking fer plastic boxes.. weired!!!!!!!!

As it is still early days then there may be changes.. we shall see..

Moss

Aint it a shame when folks seem to moan that you have to cache to find an event.. then want to just sit an waffle.. let yer hair down fer pity sake.. is a laugh and if you can't laugh at yer self then who can you laugh at.. And who is going to know apart from a bunch of wacko's looking fer plastic boxes.. weired!!!!!!!!

As it is still early days then there may be changes.. we shall see..

Moss

Jeez mate!

Was on your side till this post.

You asked for opinions you don't like em so you call em moaners.

Nice one, not.

Cheers

Tony

Maybe it's just me, or maybe it's just the events I've been to, but don't most cachers go and find caches BEFORE going to the event location itself? It seems to me that often new caches are placed specifically for events and folk go and find them on the day of the event itself so what's the difference in finding two specific ones before attending?

As for doing a turn, well I would be happy to do that as long as my turn came towards the end of the evening so there was a possibility of people not remembering what an eejit I made of myself!

Maybe it's just me, or maybe it's just the events I've been to, but don't most cachers go and find caches BEFORE going to the event location itself? It seems to me that often new caches are placed specifically for events and folk go and find them on the day of the event itself so what's the difference in finding two specific ones before attending?

As for doing a turn, well I would be happy to do that as long as my turn came towards the end of the evening so there was a possibility of people not remembering what an eejit I made of myself!

Mostly at events I don't do any caches. Just stay around and chat.

...would you attend if you HAD to stand up an make a fool of yer self to log the event.

Moss

We wouldn't go to an event where you HAD to stand up and do a 'turn', but we do also avoid Karaoke, bingo etc. We would be happy to make a charity donation to avoid it :rolleyes:

A format I liked for a caching event was meet in the car park 10 or 11 a.m. to be given details of newly released caches, then meet in the pub afterwards. Meant that if you could get there early you could join in the caching, otherwise you could just join the main event in the pub later. We have kids that often have activities that they think have priority over caching :D

There seem to be lots of events, so I would try out a different format if you want to.

We haven't yet been to an event in the North East (well north of N Yorks) but we hope to one day as we regularly visit.

Having just read through some of the earlier posts I feel the need to point something out. The events must be open to all, but they do not need to be appropriate to all. If you don't want to do a turn or risk not finding the caches then you do not have to come.

I do see why Moss thinks people are moaning. He is being told why he should not (or is that can not) do this and that he is not thinking of others by suggesting this. the is a difference is disagreeing and poo-pooing.

Anyway, I just had to get that off my chest, sorry.

What about the newbie who maybe finds the geocaching site , spots a local event and wants to meet other cachers at the event to get more info,before taking the plunge and having a go but hasn't yet found these forums ?

They would be excluded and it does say in the guidelines on events that they should be open to all.

That actually happened to me a short time into caching. I emailed the event cache owner and got a "you will have to go and find the caches before the event...*" Well no, actually, it was the Monday of the week preceeding the event, I had to work, the evenings were short and the caches were far flung.. so I did not go. I think I have subsequently felt more miffed about this now I have done more caches and attended more events and know what normally goes on. However, I think if there is a 'get out of jail' phone line for newbies/DNFs and out of town types, perhaps only available nearer the day, then I don't see any major objection.

Mind you, playing devils avocado... if an event is open to all, should that mean that everyone can attend it? Not everybody is physically capable of doing every cache, not everybody can solve every puzzle, these caches are open to them, but they may not be able to do them. Should every event be a D1/T1? I dont know, but it's an interesting thought. Does scruitinsing the guidelines help? What I do know is that people have become used to simply falling into the pub to collect their smiley, so anything that bucks this trend will probably leave you open to rotten fruit flinging.

Also, I would not object to doing 'a turn' but I know that some people would hate being put in that position. When we have gone around the campfire before (at non geocaching events) people who are shy have generally been coaxed into telling some jokes or funny stories... but then they were by the campfire before they knew what was happening... posting in advance may have put them off... and of course, it was not strictly compulsary, just highly encouraged. BTW, if you have more than... is it 2 people?... singing in the pub, I think that the pub may now require a music license.

However, I applaud anybody who thinks about how events could be improved or else just varied from the usual. It's all in the cause of keeping us entertained, after all. If these ideas are deemed to be a non-starter, I would hate anybody else discouraged from being creative.

I do see why Moss thinks people are moaning. He is being told why he should not (or is that can not) do this and that he is not thinking of others by suggesting this.

He did, however, ask for opinions. If someone is not prepared to listen or take the opinions seriously, then why ask in the first place?

I do see why Moss thinks people are moaning. He is being told why he should not (or is that can not) do this and that he is not thinking of others by suggesting this.

He did, however, ask for opinions. If someone is not prepared to listen or take the opinions seriously, then why ask in the first place?

Thought I'd stick my oar in here and try and give an unbiased opinion (in as much as its too bl**dy far for us to travel so we won't be going anyway!)

IMO, I wouldn't go if we HAD to do a turn of some sort. I'm usually more than happy to make a fool of myself, and sing songs round campfires, but usually as part of a mildly tipsy group! And we never have to...

regarding the requirements to complete 2 caches, its not a bad idea, but I'd be careful. The caches would HAVE to be accessible to all-comers, therefore accessible to those in a wheelchair for example. I know plenty of caches aren't, but those aren't required in order to attend an event. I would also be aware that at this time of year, and depending on the time of the event, some people may not have the time to cache beforehand, particularly during daylight hours... Another option could be solving an online puzzle to get the coords rather than going to caches. Sort of a puzzle event rather than a multi-event...

Having said all this, and with the proviso that certain 'group's aren;t excluded on for being in a wheelchair for example, then its your event to do what you want to. Obviously, requirements to be met will always mean less attendees than a free-for-all event, but thats your choice. When we organise our first event, the aim will be to get as many people as possible there, but you may prefer a smaller group and thats entirely your prerogative! :anitongue:

phew! anyone want the soapbox? :laughing:

dave

I might stray south of the border for a NE event. I have no problem in being required to do a bit of work to find the event (as long as there is a helpline). There's no way I would do a 'turn' though, so would you seriously not let me log the event if I came and didn't perform? Perhaps the 'acts' could be thought of as added entertainment, just like raffles etc at other events.

Edited by Firth of Forth

I was thinking that any cacher who attends will have to do, as we call it up norft, a turn.. Be is a song a recitation a poem.. funny or serious.. This just to add a slant and a bit of fun to the occasion.. :cool::(

Moss

Sorry can't make it.I have some serious Alvin Stardust moves to practice in front of the mirror that night. :anitongue:

Well,I only have one leather glove and a Lucky Bag ring to my name! :laughing:

Don't see a problem with having to find caches to get to the meet. :anitongue:

No doubt Moss will make sure they are in situ on the morning of the meet and will provide a mobile number for those who can't find them (or are running late) so they can be named and shamed at the meet later on! :(

Totally disagree with the other idea but don't mind watching others making a fool of themselves if they want to. :cool:

All irrelevant for me as I won't be able to make it in any case but have fun! :laughing:

Cheers!

Seasider

The cache page is now awaiting approval.. And I HAVE been taking note of what has been said. So the :D is now on a purely voluntary basis. So you can all breath a sigh of relief, but I have obtained a rather snazzy double barelled persuader. :D

The two cache idea stays but will be easy to find with a maximum of a 100 yard walk if not a drive by. But then again this was always my intention.

Moss

New to all of this event stuff and only have a few finds under the belt, however, thought I'd make a comment. Would love to meet fellow cachers at a meet and like the idea of having to find clues (in advance) to establish the event location. Not keen on the stand up and "Do" idea, not my cup of tea :cry: but then hey it would be a sad world etc etc...

Look forward to further info on the event ! :P

The two cache idea stays but will be easy to find with a maximum of a 100 yard walk if not a drive by. But then again this was always my intention.

Is it practical to take the train to the event and find the caches on route? If so, what it the approximate distance?

Ps. I will do a turn, but only if you promise not to throw things at me :cry:.

Edited by alistair_uk

Wait, Wait, I have just had an idea.

What about offering several ways to get he coordinates? You could either solve one puzzle cache, do a "family style" multicache or find two caches. This way you can choose the path that most appeals to you, but still have a second option if you fail the first.

Is it practical to take the train to the event and find the caches on route? If so, what it the approximate distance?

Ps. I will do a turn, but only if you promise not to throw things at me :P.

Sorry Alistair it isn't really practical to do it by train.. you would have about a 4 mile walk from the station.. but if yer up for it I'll lend yer me boots :cry:

New to all of this event stuff and only have a few finds under the belt, however, thought I'd make a comment. Would love to meet fellow cachers at a meet and like the idea of having to find clues (in advance) to establish the event location. Not keen on the stand up and "Do" idea, not my cup of tea :P but then hey it would be a sad world etc etc...

Look forward to further info on the event ! :cry:

Hi Magpie.. Welcome aboard.

There is no need to worry, I aint about to make anyone do what they don't want to, so come along, have a chat and meet some of the best cachers you could ever hope to meet :o

MT