Events and coins

ATMouse

Informal poll:

1) An event with a coin, one metal, only 100 struck, with pins. You can ONLY get the coin and pin at the event. Would it make going to the event more enticing?

2) An event that did a pre-sale of a coin and pin combo, but a larger minting, say 200, would you buy and still come to the event?

3) A coin minting like #2, but the coin at the event is another metal. Does the event have the same attractiveness as #1? Would you still come to the event?

:D

Edited by ATMouse

a coin wont get me to new york but that doesnt mean I would not buy or trade for the coin!!

The KOTAB event in england did several coloured coins and I believe they sold well might be worth asking other event organisers how they feel

Bob

Aw! New York events are awesome!

e-mail sent ATmouse.

edit added:

1. yes

2. yes

3. yes, yes, yes - best option

Edited by avroair

In my opinion............

If you are trying to get people to come to the event to get the coin or if you are trying to keep the coin "rare" then dont presale the coin, leave it so you can only get them at the event. If you have extras (lol) then you can sell them at the event or you can sell them after the even to people who did not attend.

It really depends on what you are attempting to accomplish............

I am sure you would sell a lot more if you did a "public" sale but then the coin loses some of its rarety...

I would come just to see ATMouse. :D

We did have a great time last year at the Geobash...even it being cold, what a hoot, eh?

And you were great - pitched in and helped! You gonna come this year???

Ooops!...OT on my own thread...Uhhhh...So LadeBear, you would come PARTLY 'cuz of the coin??? :D

I must concur with Avroair. The event only coin for G.O.N.E. Caching II being in a different metal at the event was golden :D (the opportunity, not the coin) and I'm sure it had an influence on people because the question I heard over and over at the event was When and where can I get the coin? Followed closely by How many can I get? The event coin was limited in production and went at lightspeed! It helped that it was a great coin design and I'll be taking the inevitable dirt-nap before I give it up :D

edit:

So Yes

Yes

& heck Yeah!

Edited by fox-and-the-hound

1) Yes...makes the coin more valuable to me.

2) Yes...maybe make the pin only avaliable at the event

3) Yes...my favorite choice of the three. Seems like the best of both worlds.

The ASP Geobash was an event we'll never forget. Next year will be even better, especially if we get some nice weather! :D

#1: Good chance

#2: Maybe (if you have the event coin, it'd be nice to have been at the event)

#3: Probably

We are actually doing something similar at the MGA AGM this weekend (GCVF8X). An event coin was created with the new EV prefix, but the design has been kept secret and there was no presale. It will be unveiled when it goes on sale at the event so the people attending will have first crack at them. Whether they'll be sold after the event all depends on whether they sell out. I suspect there will be leftovers, but given there are only 75 LEs and 25 XLEs it's very possible that people not attending will miss out on one if not two of the metals.

Edited by islander1988

Informal poll:

1) An event with a coin, one metal, only 100 struck, with pins. You can ONLY get the coin and pin at the event. Would it make going to the event more enticing?

If we lived within driving distance, most desirable option.

2) An event that did a pre-sale of a coin and pin combo, but a larger minting, say 200, would you buy and still come to the event?

Again, if within driving distance, yes would still attend

3) A coin minting like #2, but the coin at the event is another metal. Does the event have the same attractiveness as #1? Would you still come to the event?

If we can get there, having the event coin in a different metal would make this #1 choice. Assume pin still available only at event. Some people like event coins just for what they look like or just because it is an event coin. We all collect different things for different reasons. So making at least some kind of metal available to the "rest of us who cannot get near an event unless we organize it ourselves" makes this the best overall choice for us and maybe for a lot of people. :D

Edited by GPX Navigators

#1: Good chance

#2: Maybe (if you have the event coin, it'd be nice to have been at the event)

#3: Probably

We are actually doing something similar at the MGA AGM this weekend (GCVF8X). An event coin was created with the new EV prefix, but the design has been kept secret and there was no presale. It will be unveiled when it goes on sale at the event so the people attending will have first crack at them. Whether they'll be sold after the event all depends on whether they sell out. I suspect there will be leftovers, but given there are only 75 LEs and 25 XLEs it's very possible that people not attending will miss out on one if not two of the metals.

We did nearly the same thing last year, but only we had only one metal. The coins were sold at the event and we had a handful left over that we sold within a month.

1. Slightly – I go to an event for the caches and camaraderie. A coin would be nice, but it wouldn’t be a deciding factor in attending.

2. Same answer as 1.

3. Same answer as 1. But, if it was a unique or very nice coin, I might consider purchasing the coin. However, I find myself passing on event coins that I haven’t attended more often than not

1. No

2. Neither is likely actually :blink: . I don't tend to collect event coins, I would only maybe want one if I went that event. Which is unlikely since I've never crossed state lines for an event, and so far have only only gone to ones within like 150+- miles. I like caching, but not enough I guess.

3. Still don't care much either way

Sorry if that doesn't help your poll, but you did ask :huh:

As a side note...

I think that if the coins are an event only coin, then they should only be sold at the event. It sucks to get something and think that it was special only to see it pop up for sale weeks later cuz there were extras.

For me, a coin will not get me to an event at all. I am motivated to go to events to meet fellow cachers, swap stories, and honestly to learn more about this great sport.

I believe, if you had an event coin made with a matching pin, perhaps the pin could be given to those who attended for free. Those who attended the event could also have the option of purchasing a coin at a reduced price since shipping charges are not involved lol. The coin could also be raffled off as door prizes to those at the event.

As far as for any coins that may be left over, I see nothing wrong in making them available for purchas to the general public. The extra pins could be swag for caches.

Edited by Lakersfan559

As a side note...

I think that if the coins are an event only coin, then they should only be sold at the event. It sucks to get something and think that it was special only to see it pop up for sale weeks later cuz there were extras.

Personally, I dont think it sucks. If someone has extra coins that people wouldnt buy, should they just trash them?

But to calm some, it would be nice to say:

We have xxx amount of coins for sale at the event. First come, first served. If the coins do not sell out, we will sell the extras to the general caching population.

For me, when I get an event coin for an event I go to, that coin means something to me. An experience I had.

Edited by nielsenc

#1,Yes, having an event only coin will get me to drive farther than not having one, even though I really like to attend events.

#2, If your intention is to attract people to your event this will defeat your purpose.

#3, By far the best choice, this way people who make the effort to attend will have a "rare" coin for their collections and regular coins for trading to those who live too far away.

If you plan properly and have experience with events you can come pretty close to ordering the right amount of coins. We've been to a couple of events where you could only get the coin there. They ended up with a handful left over and were ok with that. It made it really special for all of us in attendance knowing that we had something that you could only get there.

If you plan properly and have experience with events you can come pretty close to ordering the right amount of coins. We've been to a couple of events where you could only get the coin there. They ended up with a handful left over and were ok with that. It made it really special for all of us in attendance knowing that we had something that you could only get there.

"In the grand scheme of things, is it really THAT important?" I think not. If you need a coin to make you feel special after spending the day with the truly unique characters into geocaching, then I say there is just something wrong with that.

Edited by Lakersfan559

LOL, if you knew me at all or paid any attention to what I have to say in these forums you would know that I am not a coin collector and personally could care less if an event has a coin or not. There are however a lot of people who do care, that was what I was speaking about. Quit looking for things to argue with me about, thought you figured that out after your PM.

Our organization is putting on an event that will have a limited number of coins. While we hope to sell out at the event, our organization has no intention of losing money on these. Any not sold at the event will be sold afterwards, with all profits going to help support our organization and to hold future events.

We also have no doubt that people who buy more than one coin, will either trade or sell at the e-place. There is not a thing we can do about that.

Our organization is putting on an event that will have a limited number of coins. While we hope to sell out at the event, our organization has no intention of losing money on these. Any not sold at the event will be sold afterwards, with all profits going to help support our organization and to hold future events.

We also have no doubt that people who buy more than one coin, will either trade or sell at the e-place. There is not a thing we can do about that.

That is why I generally mint two versions --- an event exclusive of 50 and then a normal run of 200. The event exclusives are (1) only available at the event (2) one per person --- they usually sell out within 30-40 minutes. I also sell 200 'available to everyone' event coins, about 100-150 before the event in the forums, 50-75 actually at the event... then the last 20 for people who email me cause they forgot to get some. The last 5 go on the e-place for people oblivious to the forum sales.

It has worked well so far and we have been able to offset costs of pavillions, porta-johns and other event related costs.

PS- I doesn't bother me one bit that people sell them after we have sold them --- they can do whatever they want with them.