Tomtom 6

Is this on a PDA? Have been told by TomTom it will not work on my ipaq 5550 but may do so in the future. Seems it is going to be power hungry and will not work on some slightly older PDAs.

I have just installed it on my 5550, so will let you know how it copes. To be honest it doesn't look a lot different to V5, the only real difference I can find is the "Safety preferences", "arrival time", "TomTom Buddy"? and the most useful addition "Navigate to Latitude Longitude". To me theses wouldn't seem like resource hungry additions but time will tell.

One surprising non-addition is customisable sounds for POI warnings, will just have to carry on using CheckPOInt!

Is this on a PDA? Have been told by TomTom it will not work on my ipaq 5550 but may do so in the future. Seems it is going to be power hungry and will not work on some slightly older PDAs.

I have just installed it on my 5550, so will let you know how it copes. To be honest it doesn't look a lot different to V5, the only real difference I can find is the "Safety preferences", "arrival time", "TomTom Buddy"? and the most useful addition "Navigate to Latitude Longitude". To me theses wouldn't seem like resource hungry additions but time will tell.

One surprising non-addition is customisable sounds for POI warnings, will just have to carry on using CheckPOInt!

OK, so I have now given it a quick test of about 5 miles on my 5550 and it worked at least as well as v5. For a moment I did think it was going wrong when it gave some strange directions on a nearby roundabout, but on the journey back I realised it was due to the maps being very up-to-date. The roundabout is currently going through a major transformation and in a few months wont be a roundabout as such and TomTom has the new layout, now that's up-to-date!!!

I have just installed TomTom 6 on my Ipaq 2210 and updated to CheckPoint V 6.

If I start CheckPoint first and then select Navigate, I get a Window saying that TomTom failed to start, followed by the new TomTom splash screen which I can't get rid of other than a soft reset.

If I start TomTom first and then select CheckPoint from the menu and then Navigate, all works OK.

With TomTom 5, the first method above worked every time.

Has anyone else experienced this? or can anyone explain it? Is there a solution ?

Brian

I have TomTom 6 working on my 5550 and it works fine but can lag behind a bit on big roundabouts for some reason :) .

but other than that the only difference I can honestly see between 5 and 6 is the naviagte to a Lat Long feature.

I just installed version 6. Haven't driven with it yet, but went through the menus. I was excited about being able to enter latitude/longitude, thinking I would be able to use it for geocaching until I get a more suitable hand-held.

Either it doesn't do what I expected, or I'm just not smart enough to figure it out. When I tell it to navigate to a lat/long, the route it calculates stays on the roads and sets the destination to the spot on the nearest road closest to the numbers I entered.

I typed in the lat/long for several hundred yards out in the woods by my house, and it just sets up the destination on the road close to my house... it won't venture into the woods. I have it set on "walking route," but that doesn't seem to do the trick either.

I did find one way around it... sort-of. Here's how:

Go to "Browse Map"

hit "find"

then "Latitude Longitude"

enter the Lat/long

There you will have a map, the position you entered, and your position on the map, and it has a zoom slider on the right for when you get close. This may be the best way to use it for geocaching.

The only problem is that it would be useless for caches that are near any road since the tomtom will "snap" your position to the road (i tried it in my backyard and couldn't "unsnap" from the road.

Does anyone know of a way to turn off the "snap to road" feature? Thanks.

i don't own a tomtom myself but is there an off road option along near fastest/shortest etc? i have this option on my garmin nuvi and it then just straightlines to the point of co ords.

Unfortunately not. There is one called "walking path" which sounds like it would be the right one, but it still keeps you to the roads.

i don't own a tomtom myself but is there an off road option along near fastest/shortest etc? i have this option on my garmin nuvi and it then just straightlines to the point of co ords.

Unfortunately not. There is one called "walking path" which sounds like it would be the right one, but it still keeps you to the roads.

When I first started geocaching, all I had was a PDA and TOM TOM. I used the TOM TOM to get me as close as I could by road and then used the Satellite page to get me to the cache. Unfortunately, there was no arrow, just Lat/Lon numbers so you had to guess which way to walk and watch the numbers until you were as close as you could get.

Hard work.

Tomtom has tried sending us down some footpaths before, but not when we wanted to.

The best thing if you want to try and use tomtom for caching using lat/long could be adding a favourite with the lat/long setting, and then at least you can see where it is on the map. This is how we started, but soon realised we needed better software.

Good luck.

If you have tomtom on a pda why not install another app for geocaching? I use beeline gps but there are loads about.

I don't have the pda version, I have the Go 300, which is a vehicle unit (but it's small enough to carry.)

I tried it out for the first time today and it worked pretty good. It got me within 10 feet of each cache (they were my first 2 caches ever!)

I added the lat/long points as a favorite. Then I went to the "browse map" mode when I started walking. You can zoom in really far. One thing I did learn is to take a compass with me. The Tomtom isn't good at telling you what direction you're facing unless you're moving. So I'd see my position on the map and see that I had to walk southeast, but couldn't really tell which way that was (it was cloudy too.) It involved a lot of trial and error, but I eventually got it.

So using a Tomtom is not too bad. I can see how it would be much easier to use a GPS that's made for this sort of thing, but I don't think I'll be rushing out to get one anytime soon. I just have to find my compass and I'll be set.

By the way, this geocaching thing is pretty fun! I'm glad I tried it.

I've got a TomTom ONE (the ancient one, came out last December!!!)..... I upgraded the firmware to the latest version which gave me the GO TO lat and long with V5 Maps. Just got the new V6 maps and they are pretty good. Only problem I've found is some roads - M5 South from Bristol is an example - have the speed limit indicating incorrectly - shows 50MPH on part of the M5 when it is 70. Otherwise its excellent. I create a POI file with GSAK, load it up and off to caches!! Then the Garmin for the final bit. Best thing is when you've finished for the day, no matter what obscure country lane in some far flung county you're in, just select navigate to HOME and off you go!!

Chris

I've got a TomTom ONE (the ancient one, came out last December!!!)..... I upgraded the firmware to the latest version which gave me the GO TO lat and long with V5 Maps. Just got the new V6 maps and they are pretty good. Only problem I've found is some roads - M5 South from Bristol is an example - have the speed limit indicating incorrectly - shows 50MPH on part of the M5 when it is 70. Otherwise its excellent. I create a POI file with GSAK, load it up and off to caches!! Then the Garmin for the final bit. Best thing is when you've finished for the day, no matter what obscure country lane in some far flung county you're in, just select navigate to HOME and off you go!!

Chris

I do the exactly the same - TTG300 gets me to the correct parking spot either by putting the coords in direct using the lat / long feature on V6 or by uploading them as POI's. After that I use my garmin to get me to the cache. Does mean two bits of kit but they're both small enough to sling in a bag so I don't really notice.