What do you say when...

Cougar21

people ask you..

What are you doing?

Whats that? (when looking at your GPS) when you are out caching.

I find when caching in London people generally just ignore you but while out caching near Cambridge I had a few people/children ask me what the H I was doing while out walking with my GPS.

So far Ive been lucky and not been "muggled" while hunting or looking at the goodies of a cache.

people ask you..

What are you doing?

I find when caching in London people generally just ignore you but while out caching near Cambridge I had a few people/children ask me what the H I was doing while out walking with my GPS.

So far Ive been lucky and not been "muggled" while hunting or looking at the goodies of a cache.

In Texas the other week a guy asked me if I was looking for a gas leak.

I've been using that excuse ever since. a hi-vis jacket and a clip board also helps.

We do the same - usually results in a short chat as most people are fascinated by the idea, even if they would never do it themselves. We're obviously careful not to let them see the hide just in case.

I tell the truth, that I am involved in a hi-tech treasure hunt. They are usually interested - or pitying!

Edited by The Bolas Heathens

So far I've only once been asked what I was doing whilst I've been geocaching, and that was by a member of Bedfordshire Constabulary! I had just found Dilapidated Des Res (Beds) and was returning to my car across the fields, from the direction of Luton Airport.

As I arrived back at the road, he asked me if that was my car, and also if I would tell him what I was doing. After quite a while of explaining, showing cache notes, and indicating the position on his map, I think I convinced him that I was a complete nutter, and he ought to steer clear of me!

It was only a few days later, and after a few stories on the news, that I realised why he might be interested in someone walking away from the direction from a major airport. :shocked: I wonder if there was a connection.

people ask you..

What are you doing?

Next time anyone is approaching you, put PDS to your ear and pretend to be making a phone call. No one will ask you what you are doing unless they are cachers, in which case they will probably call you a Pratt :huh: and then introduce themselves. ;)

Early one sunday morning on a quite single track road in the mountains I got pulled over by the police who wanted to know what I was doing....I had the GPS on the dash so it took a bit of explaining.

Also at Kites in Flight cache I saw a couple looking around the spot where the cache was....so I asked if he was looking for the cache and he had no idea what I was talking about and then he asked me if I'd lost any money and proceded to help me look for my money no matter how much I told him not to?!?!

Funny!

Just yesterday i was looking for 3 caches is a large garden/park. i always try to avoid people unless i have family or dogs with me but a dog came running up to me so i could hardly turn and run so i stood with the dog while the owner came over and started talking to me about the change in the weather and such, then she asked me where my dog was. i told her they where at home and i was out geocaching which drew a blank expression so tried to explain it, think she was happy enough with the story that she can home and tell her friends she bumped into a weirdo in the park!

I had one instance at one of Stuey's Exeter Bridge caches.

He struck up a converstaion after thinking I was taking photo's of the bridge - something I foolishly didn't deny.

I learnt my lesson that day, and now I just say 'internet game' or 'internet treasure hunt'. It's really surprising the number of people to whom the word 'internet' immediately registers as an acceptable mystery with no further questions needed.

I was writing the log the other day with the cache box on a fence beside me (some way from the cache location) when a couple asked me if I was a fisherman or an artist. I suppose the box might have housed bait or paints! :huh:

I am afraid I was so surprised that I simply answered that I was neither which on reflection must have seemed a bit rude. ;)

Never been asked whilst trying to find a cache but have been asked whilst trying to suss out a possible location for a multi. Told the wee lads who asked what I was doing that I was trying to make up clues for a treasure hunt. They then gave me a perfect excuse when they then said "Oh, is it for the scouts or something?". I said "Yes, something like that" and they seemed perfectly happy with my explanation!

There was one cache, now archived, that started with a hunt for a micro on a footpath that passed the entrance to a village primary school. Although I tackled this one in the evening, well after 'going home time', there was obviously some after hours activity going on as there were one or two small groups of parents and children about. I'd obviously been 'pinged' and when I walked back past the school, I was asked, very politely, what I was looking for. I explained that I helped with a local (to me, not them) boys club and was arranging a map reading / initiative exercise for them and I was looking for suitable places to hide clues. That was accepted without hesitation and I was even offered advice on where I should hide them.

Cougar,

You can edit the typo yourself.

Errr yes but I don't think one can change the title of a topic? Unless I was missing something. (been fixed now anyways) Cheers to the mods!

Next time anyone is approaching you, put PDS to your ear and pretend to be making a phone call. No one will ask you what you are doing unless they are cachers, in which case they will probably call you a Pratt ;) and then introduce themselves. ;)

Well with the GPS unit I have.. Garmin GPS45 Id look a pratt to anyone.. It has a swivel antenna.. Or maybe I can say its a satellite phone ;)

Only just started but found that a camera helps.... Just pretend to keep taking phots..... Works well in London.... :o

Yep I have used this one as well. Spent ages on a bridge in Regents Park one morning. Searching in between gaps in traffic and muggles.. and snapping away at the water fowl while they were passing :) But generally when walking to a cache with GPS in hand people to give you a funny look. Again I blame my old GPS unit :)