logo use and coin design

wesleykey

Two questions as I work to design a geocoin:

1) I can't locat the thread on GC logo use. Help?

2) I need to hear from folks who DON'T live in Alabama - What is Alabama "known for" in your mind? FOr example, we all know Idaho has potatoes and Alaska has a lot of snow. What does Alabama have?

Thanks!

2) I need to hear from folks who DON'T live in Alabama - What is Alabama "known for" in your mind? FOr example, we all know Idaho has potatoes and Alaska has a lot of snow. What does Alabama have?

I thought this was Alabama's state anthem: :anitongue:

Lynyrd Skynyrd - Sweet Home Alabama:

1, 2, 3

Turn it up

Big wheels keep on turning

Carry me home to see my kin

Singing songs about the southland

I miss alabamy once again

And I think its a sin, yes

Well I heard mister young sing about her

Well, I heard ole neil put her down

Well, I hope neil young will remember

A southern man dont need him around anyhow

Sweet home alabama

Where the skies are so blue

Sweet home alabama

Lord, Im coming home to you

In birmingham they love the governor

Now we all did what we could do

Now watergate does not bother me

Does your conscience bother you?

Tell the truth

Sweet home alabama

Sweet home alabama

Here I come alabama

Now muscle shoals has got the swampers

And theyve been known to pick a song or two

Lord they get me off so much

They pick me up when Im feeling blue

Now how about you?

Sweet home alabama

Sweet home alabama

Sweet home alabama

Oh sweet home baby

And the governors true

Sweet home alabama

Lordy

Yea, yea montgomerys got the answe

I think of the Confederate "Stars and Bars" flag, but some people might not think it's appropriate to put on a geocoin.

I also think of Lynard Skynard. How about putting a Freebird on the coin? :anitongue:

I also think of the Stars and Bars, and from those that I know from Alabama, they're pretty much unabashedly proud of that down there despite the whole political correctness thing. I'd suggest at least incorporating it somehow. Other than that, you can go to the old standards and look up the state bird, state flower, etc.

Two questions as I work to design a geocoin:

1) I can't locat the thread on GC logo use. Help?

Thanks!

Well, as a southcentral Alaskan (also known as an upper noncontiguous American), I'll point out we never have too much snow. Folks who feel that way just move on after their first experience with winter... Yes, snow appears on the 2006 Alaska Geocoin (coming very very soon to a coin thread near you), as does a rendering of the Northern Lights. However, our primary 2006 coin image focuses on the wolf (as last year's coin featured the moose - good eating, as 7,000 or so wolves will tell you!). When you hear 'Alaska' we'd like you to think of snow, the Northern Lights, and the Wolf... (that premium example of the penultimate cacher - tenaciously hunts alone or together in all weather conditions, seldom gives up the chase, and respects the Law of the Pack...).

With those thoughts in mind - what do YOU want people to think about when they hear Alabama? As an example - there's so much more to Idaho than 'famous potatoes'... Your state's motto is 'Heart of Dixie' (with whatever imagery that's supposed to convey) as well as 'Stars Fell on Alabama' (a lovely song, but do non-Parrotheads know what that means?). The magnolia is a lovely flower... and your state's got some cool topographical features, neat national parks, and dramatic heritage. Work off those angles and have fun!

I think of the Confederate "Stars and Bars" flag,

The Stars & Bars (first official Confererate flag) is on the back of the Civil War geocoins. But, I suspect that you were referring to the Naval Jack in the above quote.

I too think of Huntsville when I think of AL. I also think of many of the early Civil Rights movement events that took place in AL. Other atypical memories include driving to AL from Atlanta when I was in graduate school to buy foreworks for the 4th. I also have a memory of a HUGE black snake crossing the road when I was driving to an Interview in Macintosh - but neither of those are much of a subject for a geocoin.

The first thing that comes to mind is the Space Center. People always seem surprised to learn that the research facilities for space flight are in Alabama when I mention it. I've even been told "No, you're wrong, that's all in Florida and Texas!"-LOL! Shows how far off perceptions are from the truth :P I've also heard you referred to as the "red rock state", although not to many people know what that means. How do you want to be perceived might be a better jumping point. :P Horseback riding, rock climbing, rappelling, spelunking, scuba diving and off-roading are all a big part of outdoors life in Alabama, too.

Edited by fox-and-the-hound

I need to hear from folks who DON'T live in Alabama - What is Alabama "known for" in your mind? For example, we all know Idaho has potatoes and Alaska has a lot of snow. What does Alabama have? Thanks!

Alabama has our oldest daughter, our son-in-law and four of our grandkids! :P They got an offer that was too good to pass up, it fell through, but it all worked out well, as now they own their own business :P Maybe Alabama should borrow New Mexico's motto: The Land of Opportunity :P

Isn't Alabama the state of the magnolia blossom? I would forget about the Stars and Bars; it might be emblematic of the state, but you don't need that hassle. There are other images that will serve just as well, or better. The USPS has put out several issues over the years honoring all 50 states, and the ones for Alabama have some good ideas on them. Considering that Talledega is there, as much as I think that NASCAR (indeed, all auto racing) is about as pointless an endeavor as man has devised, a race car would certainly be appropriate, as long as it isn't modeled after any one particular driver/team. And those who mentioned NASA have a good idea, as well.

If I was designing it, the front (obverse) would have "Alabama 2006" in an arc across the top, and "The Heart of geocaching" in an arc across the bottom; this would be a reference to "The Heart of Dixie". I don't think anyone will complain about it, and if they do, you can bet they have no sense of humor or proportion B) Put a magnolia blossom in the center. That's it. On the reverse you would have the standard info that a trackable geocoin has to have, and then a current space probe that is being tracked at Huntsville. Not a rocket launch! That's Florida: Alabama doesn't launch 'em; they design 'em and watch 'em. If you *must* toadie to popular taste, then the race car would be the way to go. I'd do it in metal, not in enamel colors. Magnolia blossoms are white, and that's a bear to work with, when trying to get shades that don't look weird.

Back to the Stars and Bars for a minute: you could do quite an interesting historical coin, with the flag on one side, and Martin Luther King, Jr. on the other. Both threads run deeply through 'bama.

Good luck, from a Fourth-Generation Californian who has never been to Alabama, although I did go to Southern Florida, once, but wasn't impressed B)

Edited by chaosmanor

For Alabama I usually think of 'Mountain Music' and 'Roll On (Eighteen Wheeler)' :laughing:

Btw- have you looked at some of the AGA's coins? The state outline on a field of stars looks pretty good.

Btw- have you looked at some of the AGA's coins? The state outline on a field of stars looks pretty good.

We only have two coins in existence. The 2004 had no color and was not GC trackable. In 2005, we added color and GC tracking. Stand by for 2006.....

Yes I know, I have them both :laughing:

I like the outline on a field of stars that they both have, thought maybe the OP would like it too.

ae758ab2-0cff-4dd3-a53b-811c7ea1c04c.jpg

4da59550-365b-4a47-88fa-a918497cd51d.jpg