Delivery Confirmation

ozymandiasism

If geocoins are lost in the mail during transit, and USPS delivery confirmations were unable to track the package, who is responsible for the lost? The buyer or the seller? Do buyers generally request new coins to be sent or a refund? Do sellers just say 'tough luck'? I am curious of everyone's experience dealing with this.

I would think it would be the proper thing to do if the seller replaced them. What fault is it of the buyer? I kept back enough to ensure delivery before I kept selling coins. My experience has been that coins that I didn't get were replaced fairly quickly (geocoinstore). I fortunately haven't heard of anyone not receiving their Blind Acorn geocoins.

I would think it would be the proper thing to do if the seller replaced them. What fault is it of the buyer? I kept back enough to ensure delivery before I kept selling coins. My experience has been that coins that I didn't get were replaced fairly quickly (geocoinstore). I fortunately haven't heard of anyone not receiving their Blind Acorn geocoins.

I haven't gotten The Blind Acorn Geocoin!!

:cry::cry::):):D

:) But of course I would have had to order one... :cry: (and would have if I had know about them... )

I haven't gotten The Blind Acorn Geocoin!!

:o:):):D:cry:

:cry: But of course I would have had to order one... :P (and would have if I had know about them... )

Where were you? http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...dpost&p=2220477

:)

Sorry, PM me if you want one... I can scrounge up one for you. :cry:

I agree completely.

I can defintely see both sides of the argument though. On the one hand, if the seller did everything right and USPS lost the mail. Should the seller be "penalitzed" and have to pay out of pocket to resend new coins? Or give a refund and take the loss? On the other hand, if the buyer paid for the coins and USPS lost the mail, it is not his fault either.

How about, if a coin set of $50 geocoins, or 8 coins that worth $80 althougher, got lost in the mail. Do you thik the seller would be more or less likely to resend the coins or refund the money?

but yes, I would agree that most buyers will probably take the loss, depends on the cost

I've been on both sides of the situation. I felt it was the seller's responsibility to provide me with what I paid for. And as a seller, I definately want good word of mouth, so I'll do whatever it takes to make my customer's happy.

I would take the loss, replace the coins if possible, or a refund. Insurance is a viable option when shipping coins. I've never used it, but maybe someone else has?

Edit to add: I say this, knowing that only one shipment of my coins was lost. I replaced it. A month later they got the original package, e-mailed me offering to return it! I let them keep it.

Edited by MustangJoni

I always replace or refund. That is assuming that delivery confirmation shows the package was not delivered.

But . . . you need to wait a reasonable amount of time particularly for international. Usual for international is about 6 days (to Europe). But have seen Canada take over 3 weeks.

I also keep track of people who report lost coins / packages. Looking for a trend.

I would at some point ask someone to not trade with me or buy my coins. (Did it once and may have been just coincidence, but was an easier way to deal with the problem.)

I think this is a touchy subject...

Many people use Paypal now and use Paypal's "protection". We offer insurance on our items that we sell and mail with delivery confirmation now. If the buyer declines the insurance and we have a receipt showing we mailed the item/delivery confirmation confirms it was delivered, I do believe it is tough luck for the buyer. We give them a chance to protect it as once we place it in the shippers hands we have no control over what happens to it.

We had a coin we paid for get lost in the mail, and the seller replaced the order immediately. We stipulated, though, that if the original order did happen to show up, we would either send them back, or purchase them. (seller's choice)

Another time we were sent the wrong coins, so we contacted the seller, and had them send us an invoice for the coins they sent, and then they shipped the ones we had ordered.

We have always had good luck dealing with coin sellers. If you both treat each other with mutual respect, then most problems can be worked out.

When we sell a coin, if the buyer doesn't receive the item, we offer a replacement or refund IMMEDIATELY. If you want people to buy from you again, you have to show them you are a responsible seller. That is just the chances you take when you offer something for sale.

As a seller on our web site of wooden coins, we take orders only through Paypal. As we all know, Paypal requires Delivery Confirmation.

Of the several hundred packages we've shipped, only a handfull, meaning MAYBE 5 have been lost. And of those, delivery confirmation shows that the item was never delivered. So, after we convince the buyer that 3 days is not a reasonable amount of time for a package to be delivered (even domestically), we ship another set at no charge to the buyer. It is not their fault that is was not delivered. Either it was wrongly addressed or it was lost. So long as it did not hit their mailbox according to the USPS, we'll ship another package.

Now, here's a big question for you other shippers out there. If the item did not get delivered. And I can prove this because the delivery confirmation was never entered. Should I (the shipper) not be entitled to my postage and Delivery Confirmation fee back? Didn't I pay for a service that the USPS did not complete. Technically, sending the package again should cost me nothing because I have already paid for it to be shipped, and they did not ship it.

Anyone every try to get their money back for a package that was not delivered?

I agree completely.

I can defintely see both sides of the argument though. On the one hand, if the seller did everything right and USPS lost the mail. Should the seller be "penalitzed" and have to pay out of pocket to resend new coins? Or give a refund and take the loss? On the other hand, if the buyer paid for the coins and USPS lost the mail, it is not his fault either.

How about, if a coin set of $50 geocoins, or 8 coins that worth $80 althougher, got lost in the mail. Do you thik the seller would be more or less likely to resend the coins or refund the money?

but yes, I would agree that most buyers will probably take the loss, depends on the cost

The person who selected the mode of shipping should eat the loss. Sometimes that's the seller. Usually it's the buyer.

Many sellers might suck it up and refund/replace, but I can see lots of situations why they wouldn't: for example, they offer insurance and tracking (which is about +$12 in Canada) and the buyer refuses, well, I'd say the seller has discharged their duty, and anythign they do beyond that is just overwhelming niceness.

I would tend to be very wary of buyers who choose cheap shipping then complain that they didn't get their merchandise.

So overall, it's kind of a trade off. As a seller, I'd be much more willing to suck it up and issue a refund to a polite and patient buyer who was genuinely interested in resolving the situation in a mutually agreeable way. On the flip side, a bitchy buyer who is on about how uber their $10 purchase was and how awesomely fortunate I am to do business with their big-spending selves even though they skimped and wanted the goods shiped 58th class slug-mail is liable to end up with a great, big, "bite me".

Anyone every try to get their money back for a package that was not delivered?

Never tried it with the post office, but I have received a full refund from Federal Express for a package that took 2 days instead of 1.

Edited by geoSquid

The one thing to remember is that despite what you've heard, the customer is not, in fact, always right. Sometimes it's better to tell a customer to blow than accept the loss that results from doing business with that customer. It's always a hard business decision to make, but sometimes it's the necessary one.

As a buyer, i haven't had a problem yet with receiving coins. As the person who sold the CA 05 and 04 geocoins i came across this dilemna.

the last shipment of the 05 coins had terrible problems with shipping. i offered delivery confimation and insurance as options when purchasing.

i had about 15 orders that had difficulty reaching people. one took almost 1 1/2 months to go from san diego to michigan!! i did my best to treat people how i would expect to be treated:

• keep in touch with them contantly
  • ask them to give it time
  • send a replacement free of charge w/delivery confirmation
  • offer a refund

some replacement sets mysteriously arrived on the same day as the orginal package. each time the buyer asked if they could purchase them or send them back....all purchased them. in all i hope i satisfied all buyers.

not quite sure what happened with the last batch mailings. previously i sent 3000 coins without a hitch. the last 750 were a pain. based on that experience i let coinsandpins.com distribute the Earth Coin. It cost the buyer more, but no headache for me.

Edited by The Dillon Gang

If you are sending out $50 coins or a whole batch of coins I would certainly hope you insure it. I don't often have to mail a coin, since I'm not collector, but when I mailed out a Volunteer Coin, I insured it for $300. If it goes lost, by golly I want it covered! I can see not being able to pay for insurance on idividual coins, that would be costly, but at least get tracking, and delivery confirmation. It would seem to me that it's just good business to be able to follow through on it.

... As we all know, Paypal requires Delivery Confirmation. ...
I have been using PayPal commercially for 5 years & have never been required to have delivery confirmations... However, I do guarantee that I will replace an item with it's EXACT duplicate if the first is not received. The second is sent with a delivery confirmation. :wub:

On the geocoin issue, I have no intentions of selling anything other than MY OWN coin so I am able to have a duplicate coin made. :wub:

Edited for horrible spelling issues!

Edited by Mandollyn

I have probally mailed over 600 packages. With the exception of sending large packages to my dad with 18-20 coins that I have collected for him I never issure or add confirmation. As far as I know all packages have made it to there destinations.

The key is to package the coins properly. I use a #0 (6X10) mailer with an interal bubble mailer (REUSE) with an additional label on it. I do think the larger mailer may help with loss.

But to get back on topic, If there was a problem I would want to correct it as soon as possible.

Team Sand Dollar

If geocoins are lost in the mail during transit, and USPS delivery confirmations were unable to track the package, who is responsible for the lost? The buyer or the seller? Do buyers generally request new coins to be sent or a refund? Do sellers just say 'tough luck'? I am curious of everyone's experience dealing with this.

Shipping is always a risk for the buyer and seller. As a seller tracking is always a good idea. That way if you do gurantee delivery you know that the shipping company flubbed up. UPS and others have a set amount of insurance even if you don't request more. USPS doesn't unless you pay.

Who assumes shipping risk should be stated in the auction or transaction. Especially if you don't have an extra coin laying around to cover a shipping loss. Insurance exists to cover the loss. If insurance is offered by the seller, that's a strong hint that the buyer is assuming the risk of loss.

A lot of coins are single items only. There is no replacment to be had and insurance will only help find another when and if it comes up again.

ICE buy's new coins, we buy insurance where we can. Insurance makes life simpler for everone. So far all sellers have honored a shipping loss even if they didn't offer insurance.

... As we all know, Paypal requires Delivery Confirmation. ...
I have been using PayPal commercially for 5 years & have never been required to have delivery confirmations...

I'd like to know how you do this. Do you use Paypal to print the label? Delivery confirmation is not able to be removed (Business account). We don't have to insure or signature confirmation, but delivery confirmation is forced on us at I believe $0.14 per package.

when I mailed out a Volunteer Coin, I insured it for $300. If it goes lost, by golly I want it covered!

Don't bother putting more insurance on it than it's worth. When I say what it is worth, that means actual value of what it was sold for, not what you value it at. You will have to prove the value of it if it is lost.

Edited by pghlooking

when I mailed out a Volunteer Coin, I insured it for $300. If it goes lost, by golly I want it covered!

Don't bother putting more insurance on it than it's worth. When I say what it is worth, that means actual value of what it was sold for, not what you value it at. You will have to prove the value of it if it is lost.

The coin I donated to the Skully and Mulder Fund was sold for more than that, so I figured I could prove its value, if needed.

when i've done trades i've had a few occasions when coins never reached me, after a couple of weeks i email the person asking what's up (nicely), they usually offer to send a replacement.

i've had 1 instance where i never received the trade and the other person did not have another and offered to send mine back and I told them to just keep it.

I've also been on the other end when someone told me they never received the coin I sent, i sentt another. on another occasion the person i traded with never notified me they didnt receive the coin, but a mangled envelope made its way back to me. with only my address readable (luckily) and i emailed them and sent them another coin.

NOW, if i sell a coin on ebay (i am right now to get rid of a bunch of extras), i have insurance as an option, if the coin does not make it for whatever reason, and they dont buy insurance, all i can say if tough luck.

but overall with USPS ive had pretty good luck.

Insurance is the responcibility of the SELLER.

As an active ebay seller, I have learned that it is the full responcibility of the seller to get merchandise to the buyer. If the buyer recieved damaged or missing items, it is the buyers responcinility to return the damaged goods and all packaging to the buyer, and sellers responcibility to file a claim to the USPS.

Delivery confirmation is not the be-all/end-all that resolves sellors of responcibility. Insurance, purchased by the buyer, is the key to claims.

Ed