Special Stash Items?

I'm new to geocaching, and am looking forward to my first find.

The question I have is, does anyone make their stash items? I'm a leathercrafter, and so I've got a couple already made to put in the stash. Would be fun to hear from folks that find 'em!

I'll see if I can attach a pic to this of my stash item...

Geocache.jpg

Handmade trade items and signature items are very popular and coveted. After seeing Happy Meal Toys and golf balls all day long, the only thing that even makes me stop and *think* about trading is something that is handmade and/or personalized. So, go for it. I am jealous that I don't have any craft skills like you do. Thank you for sharing your talent.

Here's a few tokens I make out of Sculpey modeling clay.

067d380c-9b3c-4329-91a6-3e8808824621.jpg

Also check out the Geocoin forums section, there are two sub-catagories, one is "Tokens are Cool" and the other is "Wooden Nickel Trading" These forums kinda fall along these lines of home made trading Items. There's a LOT of crafty people out there. -57'

Tokens are Cool

Wooden Nickel Trading

Edited by 57chevy

I'm getting that idea! Lots of people with talent... And what a way to show it.

One thing my Dad used to tell me "Anyone can make art it big ways... It takes REAL talent to make art in small ways". I'm starting to believe him! LOL

Thanks everyone, I'm heading out in a while to see if I can bag my second cache find!

The question I have is, does anyone make their stash items? I'm a leathercrafter, and so I've got a couple already made to put in the stash. Would be fun to hear from folks that find 'em!

Geocache.jpg

I'm a newbie, but for my own personal finds (this is being posted under my family profile), I am making seahorse pendants out of polymer clay. I collect seahorses, and it's a fairly unusual thing to collect. Our family stash item is dice, because we love playing games, and my husband and I have spent many happy hours playing role playing games.

jymNjenn

Although not art-like, some of the most desirable objects you can make yourself and leave in caches are ready-to-go micros. I'm talking about just making them to use as trade items. A little cammo tape, a beach safe or key hider, a nicely folded logsheet in a baggie, all the usual. Even a small tup with a few trinkets and a bagged logsheet for those larger caches.

Inexpensive to make, and if you look at logs on caches you've visited, you'll see they are claimed right away.

i'm a jewelry designer, so i often leave less expensive pieces of jewelry-- usually earrings & bracelets-- in the caches i visit, as well as the one i've hidden (which is into its 4th year-- unusually long time for a cache around here)

I design and make gemstone jewelry also,and sometimes leave pieces of my work in especially interesting hides.I also recieve "free" items from my jewelry suppliers with my orders for gemstones and pass them along in my caches or finds.You see so much cheesy trade items (at least in my area)that my daughter and I have taken up a crusade to upgrade the trade items in the caches that we find and place to make it a little more interesting for the folks who come along after us.This makes it a little more fun for my daughter too,thinking that she has left one of the coolest items in a given cache.I do have one concern though,does putting a more valuable item in a cache make it more vulnerable to being muggled?I'd hate to get someones cache wiped out by putting nicer trade items in them.i'd like to see some opinions on this.

Edited by DaddylonglegsandShorty

Yes, I do make my own item, and it's pretty scary!

geochip1.jpg

That's supposed to be a greyhound on the front. I bought a bunch of various colored poker chips. I number them as my own personal means of knowing what chip I put where. I know of only one time when one was logged as taken out of a cache (intentionally) but several geoachers have actually asked for one from me.

Bec

Geocache.jpg

I don't actually "make" my signature item, but I cut the wrapper off my favorite soda (Moxie) which I got my screen name from. It is a rare time that I don't have a bottle in my hand, so I said, "self, you should use the wrapper as your signature caching item...your calling card, per se".

Come up with something original, and people will enjoy it...and I hope you will as well.

A new Caching Fool,

MoxieMan

Dave

I'm not going to be hiding any caches until I find at least 50 (currently my n00bish total stands at 0 with one DNF)

But when I DO hide one I wouldn't consider putting anything but a personalized item in there.

I have a pile of hand-painted plastic goblins that I'll probably use, as well as a pile of inexpensive fine stones that I can probably make into a token of some kind. A friend of mine is a jeweler so I can get all sorts of shiny things for wholesale prices.

b2143500-7ff0-4451-b9f8-30ebf69d1b2c.jpg

Placed 16 of them Gunfight sig items in Dayton, OH area caches a couple of weeks ago. Very cool and neat idea!

And I thank you kindly for doing that! It was great to meet you, even if I did have to run off too soon with my friends in the Ringling Brothers! What a week!