Cache Contents Depletion Again !

Bad money drives out good.

This is as true of caches as it is of dodgy dollars, fading fivers etc. Whatever happened to the old silver sixpences ( anyone else remember them? ), which were buried in Christmas puddings.

So caches will fill up with tat ( and water usually ) till finally the bum is hauled out of the armchair for a maintenance re-stock de-hydration visit. I'm not sure it matters: as long as the note book is kept up to date etc. A few good TBs always helps people leave a little better something in the cache even if they dont have to.

I have always launched a cache with some quite expensive trinkets and I note that in my Death Cache, the solid silver powder puff is still there - dont all rush!! [ Gran didnt want it and neither did we - never been used! ]

PS dont anyone dare put another MacDonalds Toy in any of my caches :P:):) grrrrrr!

PS dont anyone dare put another MacDonalds Toy in any of my caches :):):) grrrrrr!

Hey.......... B) one man's tat is a wee child's absolute treasure!!!!!!! Please don't forget that the littl'uns often really like McD toys (as long as they are in good condition).

Who are the swaps really for? Do adults really take them or is it mainly kids?

Most adult only logs I've seen are "TNLN" logs. I've not put a McD toy in a cache but our son, who always caches with us, adores the ones he has found.

:P V

Edited by mjbvbjjb

We recently had a log for a cache complaining that the log was slightly damp so the cache needed maintaining. The finder then went on to say:

'We took a Hulk figure and a pink bracelet, and left a battery, feeling very guilty as we had left out cache bag in the car.'

My first thought was, 'Well it will need maintaining if everyone trades like that'.

Not that the items taken sound particularly valuable, but these type of trades do contribute to the 'emptyness' of caches.

T

Simple answer: Place Micros :P

Longer answer: Place caches with a small selection of items so if they get traded down, it's not a disaster and there's a choice of things so people can match what they have to trade with something in the box. Perhaps I've been lucky but it seems many people trade up in my caches. This might be a reflection on the tat I stock them with in the first place, of course...

Live with it, but feel free to vent. This subject winds me up too. I would never dream of placing a half empty cache or a cache with tat in it, but I do leave cheap stuff for the kids as the kids generally like to swap stuff out. I have no intention of continually restocking my caches, once the contents have been nicked. I think how much this happens depends upon where you are, because in other parts of the country I have been pleasantly suprised by well stocked caches. I think it's actually usually dishonest cachers rather than muggles who take the stuff. Shame, but there you go...

Have you put a laminate label on the inside lid or on the front of the logbook to explain to people that they must trade even or trade up? I’m really not sure if everyone has grasped the principle of the game. If newcomers see it as a treasure hunt they may just think you can take the treasure.

Being left with ‘tat’ is a different story but I can imagine how this happens.

Please don’t make them all micros our junior member enjoys making trades and we see it as part of her learning life-skills and gaining a few values.

We often have a conversation about whether it’s a fair trade or is it fair to the person who’s placed the cache. There have been times when regardless of wanting something she’s had to leave it behind because it’s not a fair swap.

Some of the conversations we have demonstrate that it’s a learning process i.e. ‘but what I’m putting in is much bigger so it must be fair’ or ‘but I like what I’m putting in more than what I’m taking out.’ She doesn’t always see it in monetary terms. She’s also happy to trade something good for ‘tat’ that she likes, which is fine.

At the end of the day I’m the adult, so it’s my responsibility to ensure the right decision is made.

Debbie

Yep, we've also seen "took item, left TB" on a number of occasions just lately (and the TB tracking number is also often included to make things worse).

Worst trade we've seen recently though, was taking a padlock and key, but leaving half of a ripped cloakroom-type ticket. What's the point, I ask you?!!

Edited by The Klever Boys

Just had this log come in so it looks like it was muggled.

Log Date: 4/17/2006

Found on 17 April, but had to get home today (20th)to be able to log it. Agree that

this cache needed refurbishment. When we found it, the container was in the open

just by the wall, not having been hidden at all. All contents gone except the

logbook and that was too wet to write in. Apart from that, a good location,

somewhere we would never have normally visited. TNLN TFTC.

Just wanted to throw my 2 cents worth on this topic... Problem in America with caches is that as time goes by, we find our caches overflowing with McDonalds toys. Seems that our caches are perfect drop off points for unused happy meal treats.

I personally always keep a stocked bag full of goodies for caches that have been depleted of trade items.

Take care everyone...

I'll be in the UK in a little over a week (can't wait, my first trip out of the states)

JeromyL

Las Vegas, NV USA

You'll find much of the UK is just like Vagas. <_<

Just remember to look the 'wrong' way before trying to cross the road.

I am (sort of) glad the original post has been resolved - the cache had been raided by muggles. Sadly I suspect Alibags is right. Trading down and 'oh, I like the looks of that but have nothing to leave' by cachers will thin contents out, while a muggle is more likely to run off with the whole box. :lol:

i was just talking about this topic the other day the last number of caches i have done the contents have left much to be desired in fact they seem to be getting worse and this most probebly explains why

i just sign the log book now unles there is something worthwhile taking and i always leave like for like which i think all of us should do

i was just talking about this topic the other day the last number of caches i have done the contents have left much to be desired in fact they seem to be getting worse and this most probebly explains why

i just sign the log book now unles there is something worthwhile taking and i always leave like for like which i think all of us should do

I'm pretty much do the same thing... I usually only trade if there is something that I want.

I accept that the cache will end up depleted and can quite understand how it happens. I find ususally the kids take the bests stuff and the things I have for replacement are not always as good. I could stop the kids doing that, but then I have worked hard enough to convince them to come along. I'm not going to start arguing with them about what they take (I do moderate a bit). My response is to make sure I have lots of decent swaps, but I can not always match the quality of what is in the cache. As a result the caches slowly get worse - thats life I'm afraid.

The caches I set have always good stuff and ended up with tat. At least the kids enjoyed finding them, so I am happy.

Mark

I only have 2 caches out there and although I do trade at time more often I TNLN. Yes I admit I have left quite a few Kinder and McD toys out there recently, often took TB, left Kinder toy. But I also carry a selection of goodies that all cost just over £1 each.

Recently I was caching in a different area and some of the caches I noticed had some very low value trades. OK a snowflake obsidian but what about the normal piece of gravel in another cache. I wonder what they traded for that?

One cacher I noticed has recently restocked some of their caches and added a note on the cache page to that effect stating that all items cost about £1 each, please trade like value.

This is a wonderful hobby for all the family and far cheaper than most. But if you place several caches and have to keep restocking them then the costs rise considerably.

To me what you trade reflects your value for the hobby.

When I first started in this sport I traded tat for tat, but as I have visited more caches I have tended not to trade, or to try and leave something that at least looks like it might be of interest to someone.

I have also noticed that wet and poorly maintained caches usualy have nothing of value in, yet dry caches invite cachers to leave more goodies in there.

Edited by stora

I only place tat in the caches I have set. I visit the local £ shop and get stuff that I think the caching kids would go for. So when exchanges are made its no big deal. (Pun).

I normaly TNLN as I just want to find the darn thing and sign the log. But I do have some good items in my bag in case I find something that could interest me. Which is not very often.

Snap. Except I'll sometimes leave something (often just a candle, but beggars can't be choosers) if the cache looks a bit empty. The quality of swaps is always open to disagreement and interpretation so I'd rather TNLN/TTBLN or TNLS/TNLTB than make a swap which the cache owner or my caching peers might not class as a good one these days.

Snap. Except I'll sometimes leave something (often just a candle...)

Not wishing to sound picky but are candles a good thing for caches as I believe that some little creatures with sharp teeth may try to eat their way into the box because they like the smell? :laughing: - same goes for soap! OK maybe in ammo boxes but questionable in tupperware etc. :unsure:

Edited by John Stead

Unscented tealights, and I tend to put them in my own caches and have detected no unusual animal interest. You see what I mean about not being able to please all my caching peers? :unsure:

Fair enough, I stand corrected and no offence was meant - I should have known better than to think you would use scented candles even if some others do. :laughing:

We don't have kids, but although we very rarely actually do a trade, we find we are disappointed if there is nothing in a cache. I think this is beacause we like to see what people leave, even if we never actually want any of it.

On the other hand, we also take pleasure in buying "tat" to leave in caches that look a little empty. I mean, is it too much to ask that when you've had the fun of searching for and finding a cache in an interesting place, that we as adults with an income, leave a toy car bought as part of a pack of 30 in a supermarket for £5? If more of the resonably well off cachers about did this, depletion wouldn't be much of a problem.

Just my 2p...

Bambi.

PS It's not just toy cars that we leave, we also try to ensure that we leave stuff for little girls from time to time :ph34r: