Cache Contents

psi-lo

I've just placed my first cache (a couple of weeks ago) and I'll be the first to admit that the contents aren't fantastic which leads me to my question.

I enjoy the hunt, solving the puzzle and finding the cache which is my main motivation but I know some folk enjoy the swaps side of things. So what do you consider to be good cache contents? What do you like to find in a cache?

We're much the same as you and very rarely, if ever, swap anything in a cache as that's not what we cache for. We much prefer to solve a good puzzle, have a good walk with some great views or see something historic etc etc and then have a good old fashioned treasure hunt.

We do like to find TB's and Geocoins in a cache and will swap these if we have any to swap or just take and help with their missions otherwise.

When placing a new cache we always leave at least one TB and if we have some, some Geocoins in as that's what we'd like to find if we found a new cache. We also always leave 1st, 2nd and 3rd finders certificates as we'd like that ourselves if we found them.

Hope this helps.

My kids wouldnt go geocaching if there were no swaps in the caches it's one of the reasons we avoid micros.

The contents don't have to be much you can fill an ammo box with loads of stuff for a couple of quid from tesco's or asda.We adults often find some good stuff packs of brass cup hooks etc are good cheap adult swaps.

MrB likes to find good boot laces.

MrsB recently found a nice tumble-polished, rose quartz pebble and an ammonite fossil in caches.

When we set a new cache I often try to "theme" the initial contents to the name or location of the cache. So our Wales/Cat/Piscean caches all had items relating to those names. Obviously these items get swapped out of the caches but we top them up with a few new theme items when we do maintenance visits.

MrsB :D

Not necessarily - our 7 year old has never shown any interest in the swaps but loves coins and TB's in caches. He gets most enjoyment out of finding the cache which means I have to bite my tongue and let him find it sometimes as I quite often spot the obvious hidey-hole first.

I'd admit though this would not be exciting enough for junior cachers!

I've just placed my first cache (a couple of weeks ago) and I'll be the first to admit that the contents aren't fantastic which leads me to my question.

I enjoy the hunt, solving the puzzle and finding the cache which is my main motivation but I know some folk enjoy the swaps side of things. So what do you consider to be good cache contents? What do you like to find in a cache?

I would like to find a FTF certificate!!..................

JOKE....

keys to a new car.........a Florida holiday voucher......a new GPS so we can find some more caches.......a brain to work out puzzle caches........and Disco Jacks treasure!! :D:(:D

Edited by lollybob

I like to leave stuff that kids would like and must admit to often leaving loads of swaps and taking nothing cause the cache has no swaps for kids.

When i set a new cache i like to leave a good ftf pressie an unactivated geocoin or travel bug and stuff that will be of use caching.

On the odd cache I have done on my own I'm not interested in the swaps - it's the walk, exploring a new area and the thrill of the hunt.

But - I usually cache with my 3 (nearly 4) year old and we would never get him to come out with us if it were not for the lure of "treasure". He is always dissapointed if there is nothing for children, so we try not to do micros and if there is nothing obvious for him in the cache I try and sneak one of our swaps in for him to take. It's always hard to get him to join us if we have had a run of caches which are poorly stocked for children.

It's always great to see him keen and eager when he finds a good swap - a ninja turtle we found is still a well played with toy, a dalmation still joins him in bed, cars/trucks/fire engines are very very popular with him.

So, our swaps are for the little-cachers. I'm willing to bet that most adult cachers aren't there for the contents, but the fun so I don't cater for adults, unless I've been caught without my cacher's bag and then the cache gets what I have on me!

HTH

V

I am just putting together my first Cache and so far I have in it:

Torch

Keyring

Toy knight

Pedomitor

Toy car

Toy train

and for the FTF I am waiting on a nice coin that is on its way from the USofA, a Geocaching keyring and a FTF cert'

I will add a few more as I go but I am putting in what my kids would like to find and a few things for the older cacher

John

Edited by Crazy Druid

How about a 2nd and 3rd to find certificate too - I know we really appreciate these if we are doing something else and cannot dash out to get FTF?

Torch

Keyring

Toy knight

Pedomitor

Toy car

Toy train

and for the FTF I am waiting on a nice coin that is on its way from the USofA, a Geocaching keyring and a FTF cert'

I will add a few more as I go but I am putting in what my kids would like to find and a few things for the older cacher

John

How about a 2nd and 3rd to find certificate too - I know we really appreciate these if we are doing something else and cannot dash out to get FTF?

Torch

Keyring

Toy knight

Pedomitor

Toy car

Toy train

John

Good idea, will have to make a couple :D

Torch

Keyring

Toy knight

Pedomitor

Toy car

Toy train

John

Good idea, will have to make a couple :D

a decent pencil and a pencil sharpener are always a good idea.

The best thing I got out of a cache was a Geocaching yellow compass..............I was well chuffed!!

I have a bag full of swaps that I carry around with me all the time and I do tend to stick them in caches that are a little sparce. The thing that always seems to go straight away is the geo keyrings. I always have a bag full of them on me. The kids do get excited when they find a well stocked cache and will not do micros because there is no "treasure" at the end of it. It does not cost a lot to stock a cache with some kid stuff and they love it.

<snip>

Toy knight

<snip>

John

Ohhh oohh oohh :(

I do hope this is near us ...... I know of a certain little boy who would be absolutely over the moon and all the way up to the stars to find one of these in a cache!!!!!

:D

<snip>

Toy knight

<snip>

John

I do hope this is near us ...... I know of a certain little boy who would be absolutely over the moon and all the way up to the stars to find one of these in a cache!!!!!

How about a " Last to Find" certificate? There's one waiting for you in out Toots Hill: Trophy Treasure GCR1XR !

Is there some etiquette about types of knights? I've dropped a couple of knights I found at home in caches lately

Ohhh oohh oohh :D

Is there some etiquette about types of knights? I've dropped a couple of knights I found at home in caches lately

Not for my wee lad - to him a knight is wonderful, no matter what sort!

:(

I might just have to find where you have been recently to take him on a hunt, as you're not all that far from us! I'll keep you posted!

Plasters! I always seem to get attacked by brambles or gorse on caching trips!

Funny you say that, I try to leave plaster too!

I found a nice range of hypo allagenic ones with Mr Bump on and also cartoon pictures! (OK! so who wants to return to the car with a Mr Bump plaster on the head?) Designed for the BIG kid in you!

Plasters! I always seem to get attacked by brambles or gorse on caching trips!

Funny you say that, I try to leave plaster too!

I found a nice range of hypo allagenic ones with Mr Bump on and also cartoon pictures! (OK! so who wants to return to the car with a Mr Bump plaster on the head?) Designed for the BIG kid in you!

Waiting for moote to reply with the fact that some people are allergic to plasters :laughing::rolleyes:

:angry: