Geocaching Today?

ptd99uk

Here's a link - don't get too excited, it doesn't go anywhere!

It appears to be an online magazine - I thought it might be the old fashioned kind... :rolleyes:

As an aside has anyone ever heard of a "traditional" magazine about caching? How many people would have to buy it to make it commercially viable, and if there was one would you buy it? :huh:

Edited by The Golem

It appears to be an online magazine - I thought it might be the old fashioned kind... :rolleyes:

As an aside has anyone ever heard of a "traditional" magazine about caching? How many people would have to buy it to make it commercially viable, and if there was one would you buy it? :huh:

It was an online magazine, and a dam fine one at that!

there's some more info on what happened to it here - http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...geocachingtoday and if you scroll through the thread The Forester posted a link to an archive copy of the mag you can read.

"Geocaching Today" was run very successfully for a year as an online magazine with excellent support but the originator got involved in another Geograph related project (which is doing very well too) and asked someone else to take it on. Unfortunately the new owner of the site has not had time to develop it as he wanted and it is in limbo.

At least that is how I see it - maybe one of those involved will come on here and update us! :rolleyes:

Edited to note that choccymandum already has found the right link for which thanks - it would still be nice for someone now involved to post.

Edited by John Stead

I originally offered to help Gary (Inukshuk), the original editor, with revamping the site, but the success of the Geograph.org.uk site has left us both with little time! We were talking recently with another fledgling online mag about pooling our efforts, so that seems the most likely route forward at the moment.

As an aside has anyone ever heard of a "traditional" magazine about caching? How many people would have to buy it to make it commercially viable, and if there was one would you buy it? :(

i would buy it if it had plenty of coverage of GB, not if it was an american mag

I dare say a UK fanzine style real mag of the sort sold at football matches might work, but a "proper" publisher is not likely to get too excited about a potential market of a couple of thousand and likely sales of a couple of hundred copies!:rolleyes:

Edited by Pieman

I've got the option to renew the geocachingtoday domain name for another year and with a long and hopefully hot summer on my hands I was wondering if there would be any support for the old online magazine?

those who know me are aware that my technical web skills aren't that great and that i have a few personal problems that limit me from time to time so I'd need all the support I can get in terms of contributors and techie help <_< All the old articles are still safe and so i'm sure we'd have a good head start.

If there's enough interest and out there i'm prepared to get it back on line and see how it goes.

comments appreciated :mad:

thanks and best wishes

Gary

Edited by Inukshuk

As you know, I was a great fan of the "geolemmas", and enjoyed reading all the articles - and indeed Gary's photography. I'd love to see it back, and might even find the time to contribute a story one day... <_< I've still got the site bookmarked on my custom homepage, and check back regularly to see if anything has happened... But I understand the time pressures. :mad:

I would love to see it back, and I too would contribute. Perhaps a pragmatic approach would be to aim for a quarterly update.

I rather suspect that there is not a big enough target audience for any commercial printed geocaching magazine, given my experience of the same question for other interest groups. An online magazine seems to be the best approach, and if commercial suppert were needed, then I guess the dreaded banner ads etc would have to be endured.

I've got the option to renew the geocachingtoday domain name for another year and with a long and hopefully hot summer on my hands I was wondering if there would be any support for the old online magazine?

those who know me are aware that my technical web skills aren't that great and that i have a few personal problems that limit me from time to time so I'd need all the support I can get in terms of contributors and techie help <_< All the old articles are still safe and so i'm sure we'd have a good head start.

If there's enough interest and out there i'm prepared to get it back on line and see how it goes.

comments appreciated :mad:

thanks and best wishes

Gary

Yes I would love to see it back too.