Working Out Multis

I have tried to go paperless with my geocaching but always find that I still need paper and pencil for the stages of a multi. This seemed silly to me so I have written a small program for my iPaq that does it for me.

cc.jpg

I type in an encoded Lat/Long, give it the A, B, C answers as I find them, and hit translate. Hopefully it then works out the correct coordinates so I can copy and paste them into my nav software.

At them moment it only supports +, -, * and / as I haven't found many caches that require anything else.

I have only tried it on 2 machines at the moment, HP iPaq hx4700 and iPaq h4150 as that is all I have access to.

There a 2 versions. one with copy and paste, the other without. The version with copy and paste requires the OpenNetCF framework to be installed first. The other version does suport copy and paste but you have to use the softkey board rather than press and hold.

It requires .Net compact framework sp2 or above.

I only have the exe to copy to the PDA, the rest you will have to sort out yourself!

If anyone want to try it, mail me. Just don't blame me if anything goes wrong/it just doesn't work. I suggest you back up your machine before running it.

Simon

Nice idea...

However, I just cut'n'paste to Word or Excel if it's a toughy.

I do have an Excel spreadsheet for decoding hints though.

PS I'm not a Premium Member so no fancy programs like Cachemate etc....

I used to use notes on the PDA. Got annoyed and wrote this.

Personally I use GPXSonar on the PDA, but being able to use GPX files is great in the field. Well worth the subscription.

fab, can we have a Palm based version please?

Nope unless you can tell me how to do it. Or if you want the source, that's fine to. (VB.Net)

Simon

theres one here only one letter at a time though :smile:

I occasionally use a HTML ROT13 Coder / Decoder webpage on my PDA, it's useful if you dont have the cache on the PDA but someone has a paper copy.

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN">
<HTML>
<HEAD>
<TITLE> ROT13 Coder Decoder </TITLE>
<META NAME="Generator" CONTENT="EditPlus">
<META NAME="Moote" CONTENT="">
<META NAME="ROT13" CONTENT="">
<META NAME="ROT13 code/decode" CONTENT="">
</HEAD>

<BODY>
<script language=JavaScript><!--
var last="";
var rot13cmap;
function rot13func()
{
 var cmap = new Array();
 var s   = "abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz";

for (i=0; i<s.length; i++)
cmap[s.charAt(i)]			= s.charAt((i+13)%26);
 for (i=0; i<s.length; i++)
cmap[s.charAt(i).toUpperCase()]	= s.charAt((i+13)%26).toUpperCase();
 return cmap;
}

function rot13(a)
{
 if (!rot13cmap)
rot13cmap=rot13func();
 s = "";
 for (i=0; i<a.length; i++)
{
  var b = a.charAt(i);

s	+= (b>='A' && b<='Z' || b>='a' && b<='z' ? rot13cmap[b] : b);
}
 return s;
}

function upd()
{
 if (document.forms[0].text.value==last)
return;

last = document.forms[0].text.value;
 document.forms[0].rot13.value = rot13(last);
}
// --></SCRIPT>

<P><strong>ROT13 coder/decoder</strong></P>
<FORM>
 <P><STRONG>Type Text Here:</STRONG></P>
<P><TEXTAREA onkeypress=upd() onkeydown=upd() onkeyup=upd() name=text rows=3 cols=40 onchange=upd()></TEXTAREA>
</P>
<P><STRONG>Tap below to Coded / Decoded Answer:</STRONG></P>
<P><TEXTAREA name=rot13 rows=3 cols=40></TEXTAREA>
</P></FORM>
</BODY>
</HTML>

Edited by Moote.

QUESTION

I got all excited and then thought....

What do we need JAVA ?

PS My PDA's 2002 :smile:

Unsure

I'm not 100% on this but I'm positive it will work on PPC 2002 without any 3rd party software, it's Java script and I believe that functionality was included in PPC 2002.

Just copy the code and paste it into an editor and save the file as rot13.html, then copy that to your PDA and test it by typing gerr and then tap the lower box, hopefully you will see tree!

QUESTION

I got all excited and then thought....

What do we need JAVA ?

PS My PDA's 2002 :smile:

Nah all you need for that is a web browser that has Javascript. Everything since about Internet explorer 3.

To those that have asked, I am putting together a short readme to go with the program. It will be a zip file with 4 files in it.

Simon

How we doing with the Palm version then ? :):)

Poor old Simon! LOL <_<

I think us Palm-ites may be left to fend for ourselves here.

and slapped wrist for P&T, that's truly dreadful.

I think you might be right! :D

I have no idea about developing for the palm, so someone else will have to do it. I'm sorting out the source for Alibags' tame coder which I will send in a bit. I've been trying to get it to recognise the !. Just for 2202. :)

Simon

Simon,

Just installed it on my iPAQ. Works great! Thanks for that, however, are you aware that if you have a formulae that has a component such as;

(E+D+1)

where E=1 and D=7

due to the multi letter and digit combo, it doesn't complete the calculation but translates into numbers only

i.e.

1+7+1

If you spot this you can get round it by entering it as

((E+D)+1)

Oss!

Simon,

Just installed it on my iPAQ. Works great! Thanks for that, however, are you aware that if you have a formulae that has a component such as;

(E+D+1)

where E=1 and D=7

due to the multi letter and digit combo, it doesn't complete the calculation but translates into numbers only

i.e.

1+7+1

If you spot this you can get round it by entering it as

((E+D)+1)

Oss!

Darn it, I'll look into that.

Thanks

Simon

Tame coder, he say "anybody got a Palm emulator for Linux". Now that's what I call a speciality application! He broke his own Palm be putting it in his pocket and then leaning heavily against it and smashing the screen.

If you want a palm emulator for linux, you can download it from Palmsource. You'll need to register to get access to it, and you'll have to compile it yourself from the sourcecode. I've used the windows version, which is nice, but not yet the linux version

Tame coder, he say "anybody got a Palm emulator for Linux". Now that's what I call a speciality application! He broke his own Palm be putting it in his pocket and then leaning heavily against it and smashing the screen.

Does this mean someone is writing a Palm version ?

If not I could knock one together (just checked and I still have the software).

That would be great. I am running Palm OS 3.5 on my Vx. Any chance that it would be compatible with that?

We'd LOVE a Palm version too please.

<_< It may happen quicker if you do it!

Sorry Simon that did nothing at all! Could not even find it. Andy, have a go please. Really would like this aide!

thanks in anticipation. ;);)

Yeah, I put up a broken version which I realized just after I posted. I removed it and have now put a working version back.

Try the link again.

Simon

I'd been keeping quiet on this, but since we appear to be declaring an interest, then here's one dedicated Palm user..! :unsure:

Just a thought, and I have NO idea if this is possible in any way at all, and is more a 'wouldn't it be great if I could do this....' If we could get a program that lifted a formula from a multi on GSAK (much like the Grab Coords) and put it into the above program. All we need to do is fill in the blanks. :unsure::unsure:

Dave

I'd been keeping quiet on this, but since we appear to be declaring an interest, then here's one dedicated Palm user..! :unsure:

Just a thought, and I have NO idea if this is possible in any way at all, and is more a 'wouldn't it be great if I could do this....' If we could get a program that lifted a formula from a multi on GSAK (much like the Grab Coords) and put it into the above program. All we need to do is fill in the blanks. :unsure::unsure:

Dave

I may need a bigger hammer. :unsure:

I have not programmed the Palm for six years, so it will be slow going. I should have a VERY basic version ready soon though.

I tried this on XDA running wm2003 and when pasting coords get an error,output is:

NullReferenceExeption

Application::Run+0xf

frmMultiCalc::Main+0xa

Any ideas what it means??

Would em nope count as a useful answer? :P

The only thing that gets called when you paste something is the OpenNETCF stuff.

Make sure you have installed that first.

Simon

I have tried to go paperless with my geocaching but always find that I still need paper and pencil for the stages of a multi. This seemed silly to me so I have written a small program for my iPaq that does it for me.

Sorry Simon that did nothing at all! Could not even find it. Andy, have a go please. Really would like this aide!

thanks in anticipation. :o;)

Yeah, I put up a broken version which I realized just after I posted. I removed it and have now put a working version back.

Try the link again.

Simon

I had a go at installing your multicalc program on my IPAQ this morning, which went smoothly. Read me file nice and clear which made things easier and so far it all seems to be working correctly.

Thanks Simon for a useful aid to caching - no more making mini spreadsheets before doing a multi ;) . Can't wait to try it for real, however, I best make sure my PDA battery is fully charged this time or……………blank screen time! :ph34r:

I tried this on XDA running wm2003 and when pasting coords get an error,output is:

NullReferenceExeption

It would appear that the html context menu in cachemate doesn't work in wm2003se and that is generating the problem,if anyone else finds this problem the work around is to copy the coords from the 'edit record' page instead and it works fine.

Maybe multicalc could disable the paste option when there is no info in the clipboard as I'm guessing that would be the 'NullReferenceExeption' that forces it to close.

NullReferenceExeption

It would appear that the html context menu in cachemate doesn't work in wm2003se and that is generating the problem,if anyone else finds this problem the work around is to copy the coords from the 'edit record' page instead and it works fine.

Maybe multicalc could disable the paste option when there is no info in the clipboard as I'm guessing that would be the 'NullReferenceExeption' that forces it to close.

I can do that, probably should in fact. Although I thought it would just paste nothing.

Oh well, I'll check it. I should have put some error handling in there anyway.

Al & Tracy Smith:

Glad you like it.

Simon

Edited by SimonC_Here