Garmin Or Magellan?

NETWORKBMB

Tri axial magnetic compass so that you do not have to hold the GPS level for the compass to work

Magellan Meridian Platinum, Magellan sport track color, Magelles Explorist 600. (Garmin none)

System to file caches/waypoints/POIs in seperate files on the SD card, that can store to reflect geographic location of caches, difficulty level or terrain rating. Magellan Meridians, Magellan Explorist 400, 500, 600 and XL (Garmin None)

GPS with the ability to hold a good lock under tree cover Any Magellan, Garmin 60CX, 60CSX, 76CX and 76CSX only.

Oooops, you forgot Lowrance. My Expedition beats my Magellan Sportrak Map under trees by far. I was always the best under trees with my Sportrak, but now, I'm even better!

So, in summary, it seems that Magellan's have the better recievers, and Garmin rely heavily on their better customer support to keep their customers happy!

Easy choice then.....

If your worried that you're $400 toy is going to break down.....get the Garmin!

If you want to play with your $400 toy 'care free' get the Magellan!

too easy!! :D

That's why Garmin owners outnumber Magellan owners 2 to 1.

More likely the bandwagon effect and being the biggest player in the market.

The most likely explanation of the 2:1 Garmin to Magellan owners statistic!!! :smile:

So by this reasoning.......I can safely say that Magellans must be better!....Because the 10 people I know with GPSrs' all have Magellans!! (and Meridians at that!!)

So that gives Magellan a 10:0 ratio.................. and that means............? :)

So we base our assumptions of how much better brand x is over brand y because a small group of individuals use brand x....regardless of the facts that brand y may have a more rugged reciever, and marketed towards a different social group!

OK...put another way!

On the Yahoo Meridian group, there are 10000 members!!

(not to mention the 1000 explorists...2000sportrack.....etc..etc)

the CLOSEST Garmin Group is 5000!!..... and that's for the, Foretrex/Forerunner models...fantastic geocaching receivers!! :D

The two main Garmin GPS groups would have to be the GPSMap and Etrex groups with a combined 5500 membership!!

Just goes to show what figure really mean!!

I'll see your 2(Garmin):1(Magellan) users , and raise it to 3(Magellan):1(Garmin)!!!

If you want a GPSr that is accurate, reliable, rugged, accurate, cheap, has a good user support base, and last of all accurate.............there is no chioce past the Magellan!

And does it not occur to someone why Garmin needs so many models to compete with a real GPS???

like JohhnyV said

...your proclamations really are those of somebody that is functioning devoid of a understanding of the subject matter being discussed. I am quite positive you will persist to make your diminutive proclamations in your determination to display your limited aptitude.

Neo_Geo!!

You got your head is so far up your.........................GPS! :D .......

... it's a wonder you can even read the forums!!

Next time you go making assumptions centred around baseless facts and figures, do a little research first!

Oooops, you forgot Lowrance.

COMPLETELY OFF TOPIC :)

So by this reasoning.......I can safely say that Magellans must be better!....Because the 10 people I know with GPSrs' all have Magellans!! (and Meridians at that!!)

So that gives Magellan a 10:0 ratio.................. and that means............? :D

One of you made a bad mistake and the others were a bunch of lemmings.

So we base our assumptions of how much better brand x is over brand y because a small group of individuals use brand x....regardless of the facts that brand y may have a more rugged reciever, and marketed towards a different social group!

OK...put another way!

On the Yahoo Meridian group, there are 10000 members!!

(not to mention the 1000 explorists...2000sportrack.....etc..etc)

the CLOSEST Garmin Group is 5000!!..... and that's for the, Foretrex/Forerunner models...fantastic geocaching receivers!! :D

The two main Garmin GPS groups would have to be the GPSMap and Etrex groups with a combined 5500 membership!!

(Oh, c'mon man! This is Waaaaaaaaay to easy...)

Groups?? Garmin has such low group membership because they're so easy to operate, WE DON'T NEED GROUPS!!!

SCHTICK!!! I WIN!!! Next player! :smile:

Edited by Neo_Geo

So many people have multiple Garmins.

Does it take that many to find one cache? Do you have to average the results to get the location?

I've found mine using one Magellan, ether a GPS 15 or a Platinum which I got a couple of weeks ago.

You lost me here, so you do have two GPS's?

As far as I'm concerned I have four GPS's for the same reason I have four TV's. They are all really bad so I kept buying more of the same. :smile:

I reall would like to know what the OP wants in a GPS. (Then we can argue about that)

Customer service matters a LOT. I bought an Explorist 600 in spite of the bad rap on these forums for Magellan service. The backlight died less than 1 hour after the initial charge. It would not take me from frontyard to backyard without a 60 foot error. It locked up twice trying to go to a known cache. Now obviously this is not typical, but was my experience. When I FINALLY got Magellan after two hours on the phone their answer was send it in for repair. No way do I want a repaired unit that should have worked, so it went back to the seller in exchange for a 60CSx. I liked the 600 except for the failures of my unit and would still have one if Magellan had done the right thing and replaced the unit. Hereafter absent a very compelling technical reason I will stick with Garmin.

COMPLETELY OFF TOPIC :)

If like someone mentioned about having your head stuck up some "particular brand" of GPS, you probably can't see that Lowrance is a growing contender in the GPS market. Were not just talking Garmin vs. Magellan any more, because Lowrance units can easily match those units capabilities. :smile:

Lowrance people have entered the forums, were growing in numbers, and we are going to tell you how good our units are. Don't fight it. :D

I really would like to know what the OP wants in a GPS. (Then we can argue about that)

I can't help but wonder if the OP is a sockpuppet/troll account. One forum post. And only two finds over a two week period in April 2005 despite saying they've been "caching for a little while."
I really would like to know what the OP wants in a GPS. (Then we can argue about that)

I can't help but wonder if the OP is a sockpuppet/troll account. One forum post. And only two finds over a two week period in April 2005 despite saying they've been "caching for a little while."

Well, then he must be one heck of a fisherman! We all are sure taking the bait.

There are 25029 total members as off March 1st. 2006, 250.29 = 1% of all members, if 50 Members post in the GPS units and software forums on a regular basis, and that would be a charitable guesstimate. That would suggest that 1/5th of 1% of members post in these forums. This percentage would not be a very accurate indication of customer contentment with any product in any industry. One should also keep in mind that the GPS industry does not revolve around geocaching.

As far as the early Garmin proprietary memory chips, they were preceded by pre loaded map chips, which may have been popular in the marine industry (Marine chart chips), but non marine chips failed in other markets. When people saw prices of these chips, $150.00 for an area like Los Angeles or San Francisco, and $100.00 for a smaller area like Sacramento, then add in the fact that the map coverage was limited to larger metropolitan areas they not only passed on the chip purchase, they would also pass on the purchase of the GPS (Garmin Street pilot) that used them. This early version of the street pilot series GPS also failed to gain popularity in the market.

As far as SIRF III, Magellan manufactures their own chips which have always out performed what Garmin has offered, Garmin is just now catching up to Magellan with the use of SIRF III, this is a good thing for me because I am a SIRF III stock holder, and this has been a very good stock.

Now I have never said that Magellan’s auto routing software was perfect, it is not, it is annoying that when you are within 1/10 of a mile it assumes you have arrived. But all that is required at that point is to restart your goto using the point to point method which is not very difficult. Now if you are looking for a hotel, airport or any other business and you are witching 500 feet of it and you cannot find, maybe you should not be driving

I will agree that a magnetic compass in a GPS is a huge waste of money, I find it a lot easier to use a real base plate compass that one can purchase for about $10.00

But I see many people post in these forums that you must have a GPS with sensors, this is nonsense.

As far as the preposterous statement by Neo Geo regarding taxes, I find it very difficult to take anyone with any seriousness that would make such a statement that displays a lack of understanding of an issue. It is one thing to take a legally allowed tax deduction, it is quite another to hide income. I find it very odd that any company would feel a need to keep their world head quarters in a country that allows the keeping of numbered bank accounts. There are quite a few companies that do a large amount of business in the USA that keep their head quarters in what some would call tax friendly countries.

While these large companies make use of our infrastructure, we end up paying for their off shore banking practices with higher income tax rates to pay for services the these companies make use of while not paying their fair share.

Read up a little

WSR

http://www.wsr-corporation.com/en/index.html

Equity development group

http://www.equitydevelopers.com/default.as...lands_banks_exm

Thales is a FRENCH company! I need not say more about thatWhat a childish statement, we live in a world economy, Lets not forget about all the products sold on the USA that are made with child labor in China.

! Lets add that

Thales is a FRENCH company that pays US taxes.

Edited by JohnnyVegas

COMPLETELY OFF TOPIC :smile:

If like someone mentioned about having your head stuck up some "particular brand" of GPS, you probably can't see that Lowrance is a growing contender in the GPS market. Were not just talking Garmin vs. Magellan any more, because Lowrance units can easily match those units capabilities. :)

Lowrance people have entered the forums, were growing in numbers, and we are going to tell you how good our units are. Don't fight it. :D

DUDE! I didn't start the topic! If you wanna start a Lowrance vs Garmin thread, I'll be happy to shoot you down! :D

Just kidding... I really can't say anything bad about Lowrance. But again this is a Garmin/Magellan flame war. It has nothing to do with Lowrance.

So many people have multiple Garmins.

Does it take that many to find one cache? Do you have to average the results to get the location?

I've found mine using one Magellan, ether a GPS 15 or a Platinum which I got a couple of weeks ago.

You lost me here, so you do have two GPS's?

As far as I'm concerned I have four GPS's for the same reason I have four TV's. They are all really bad so I kept buying more of the same. :smile:

I reall would like to know what the OP wants in a GPS. (Then we can argue about that)

I bought the 315 five years ago to use for fishing. I keep it in the Jeep all the time now. I bought the Platinum a couple of weeks ago (Refurbished-$139.00) and use it for Geocaching. Wasn't anything wrong with the 315, I wanted to be able to download maps.

Some have said this has become a Magellan bashing post, but I see it as infomation that allows people to see the positives and negatives of these units and manufacturers. Our PC society doesn't want to hear anything negative. I do and thank you for pointing out the + @ - of different GPS. That in fact is why I joined. I don't do geo-caching but wanted to see differences in units so I could make a purchasing descision. I have had a Garmin and now have a Magellan and I'm not even a little offended by negative comments on either brand, but I have an opinion ono which is better for what I am doing.

My experience with the following GPS units:

Best GPS for rugged trails >Map76S

Best Geocaching Device I ever used> Meridian Platinum ( Good cache seeking device)

Best GPS for fitness> Map60C ( when held vertically, gave good results)

- - - - - - -

I like my new Map60Cx, and it is working good for me, as long as I hold it very close to vertical, that it faithfully records Trails better than the older GPS units.

Also with my Map60Cx, I like the new Garmin POI Loader, so I can load all kinds of POI.

I would like a feature that allows temporary files on the MicroSD card, then when you connect the GPS to the PC, it can then make the files more permanant, like making your Track files as MAP objects, that you can see on the map page. A Trail Loader for the Garmin would be really cool.

I don't like the fact that there is very little overlap between Brands of GPS units, that cause all this mess, like in this TOPIC, since it would be cool to use a Magellan for Running and Jogging, and use a Garmin to store ROUTES, POI, TRACKS, and MAP files to the MicroSD memory card. Too bad I can't just copy map regions to the MicroSD Memory card, but I can save the Maps back off the MicroSD Card to the PC, then get the file I want on the PC, and copy that to the GPS, but the problem with this, is that the MicroSD card is very fragile, and not good to handle too much.

One of you made a bad mistake and the others were a bunch of lemmings.

So by your reasoning........... again!!

Anyone that buys a Garmin is a lemmings............. so the Lemmings count on Geocaching.com is 2:1?

......therefore.........

I win!! :)

(Oh, c'mon man! This is Waaaaaaaaay to easy...)

Groups?? Garmin has such low group membership because they're so easy to operate, WE DON'T NEED GROUPS!!!

SCHTICK!!! I WIN!!! Next player! :anibad:

:anibad:B)

So you're not actually a part of this group?

You're not actually here?

2:1 huh?

After having bought a Garmin......

........you really needed a win!! :rolleyes:

Edited by arthurking83

No, I am NOT reading your Yahoo Magellan groups. I don't need to know how to work a Magellan. And I am not a member of the Yahoo Garmin group either. Again, that's completely unnecessary - very few people need help with working a Garmin. I imagine if I joined the Yahoo Garmin group, all I'd see is a bunch of Garmin owners trading Magellan jokes! What else would there be for them to talk about? :anibad:

I AM here in the Geocaching forum to learn about and share my knowledge of software, and to help the few unfortunates who need a little push in the right direction in learning how to geocache. The Garmin owners in this forum are not here about their equipment so much as they are about learning how to download waypoints files, open them, manage them and get them into their equipment.

I was gonna buy the Garmin gpsmap 76 cuz it looked liek the sweet hotness... but then i looked it up on google and saw a picture of a guy holding his.. and it's HUGE! it looked like he was holding a freakin refridgerator in his hands! WTF? i'm strongly considering the eTrex now. :anibad:

I was gonna buy the Garmin gpsmap 76 cuz it looked liek the sweet hotness... but then i looked it up on google and saw a picture of a guy holding his.. and it's HUGE! it looked like he was holding a freakin refridgerator in his hands! WTF? i'm strongly considering the eTrex now. :anibad:

IntheHand-60C76S.jpg

.....(Oh, c'mon man! This is Waaaaaaaaay to easy...)

SCHTICK!!! I WIN!!! Next player! :anibad:

......... The Garmin owners in this forum are not here about their equipment so much as they are about learning how to download waypoints files, open them, manage them and get them into their equipment.

You don't need "groups" because Garmin are easy to operate, yet here you are in a "group" to learn how to operate your Garmin!!

That makes much more sense now...... I think I get it?? :rolleyes:

You were right!!!!!............. "You Win" :anibad:

(What you won, may be below my level of understanding........)

So therefore all Garmin groups are there only for the purpose of teaching people ......

how to download waypoints, open files, manage them and get them inti their equipment

Is your Garmin that difficult to understand that you can't remember how to download/save/upload waypoints or files?

Must be those 'easy to operate Garmins' are causing severe cerebral side effects! :wub:

You should dump the Garmin and get a Magellan!!

They are really easy on waypoint mangement...........! :)

I win!! B) .........(next please!!) B) )

Y'know... If you're gonna quote me, I wish you'd not twist my words to make them sound like something you wish I said. That simply shows the other readers what a real loser you truly are! My unedited words in their original context appear above in POST #67.

You need help, and I DON'T mean with your GPSr (although you probably need help with that too which is why you'd know so much about all of the Yahoo GPSr groups).

Y'know... If you're gonna quote me, I wish you'd not twist my words to make them sound like something you wish I said.

The quote was abbreviated for the sake of clarity, quoting too much text is a bad thing...... KeepItSimpleS*****!!!!

I'm assuming the readers are probably tired of your twisted arguments, as much as I was, so I felt compelled to reply(point out the errors of your ways!) :)

The quoted text are in your own words!

I never re-arranged your text, to make it sound like you said something else... YOU said

....Garmin has such low group membership because they're so easy to operate, WE DON'T NEED GROUPS!!!

and

.... The Garmin owners in this forum are not here about their equipment so much as they are about learning how to download waypoints files, open them, manage them and get them into their equipment.

(exactly what can this be referring to....I only see one definitive meaning here!!!)

The only other possible explanation of what you attempted to say, is that Garmin owners don't actually operate their GPSr, in the traditional sense. ie. turn the GPS on and download waypoints to the GPS.

What

...equipment
do Garmin owners downlaod waypoints to?

Magellan owners tend to download waypoints to the GPSr <_<

So on one hand.....

You don't need groups because Garmins are so easy to operate.......and yet on the other hand you are here( in this group) in large numbers because Garmins are really easy to use and users don't need any guidance???............ (why?.... you explain, in unambiguous terms, exactly what you REALLY meant!!!)

So are the few unfortunates that are here because they need help on managing data on their Garmins, 'a figment of your imagination', or real?.....and just how many of them are there? Do they account for the numbers in the 2:1 ratio?

You are going to have to supply some figures, or lose more credibility!!!

(next time be careful of your propensity to boastful claims)

I think you just didn't realise you had contradicted what you had previously said.....

Learn to understand what you are talking about, and try to remember your previous arguments, and try to make fewer assumptions! :)

I wasn't born with all the knowledge I've gathered on operating any of my GPSrs' to their fullest potential....none of the manufacturers will post info on the hidden menus, and ability to modify and load third party maps...etc"

I use 'groups' to gather such info, and I suspect many other users do also :) (hence the need for this group!)

So be careful when YOU state that

...."The Garmin owners in this forum are not here about their equipment so much as they are about learning how to download waypoints files......"

(ps. that is not taken out of context! That is what you wrote, and I can only gather one meaning in this text! If you really were trying to say something other than what I just quoted, then maybe you should have written that!)

Now..... can I go home with my "WIN!" ? :D

I own a Magellan, have actually owned two. I bought a 200 explorist last year and settled on that model because I didn't want to spend more than $150.00, and from research concluded that the explorist would hold a lock better than a Garmin Etrex Legend. Soon after buying the GPSr my wife and I went Geocaching and were hooked. After a few months we decided that we wanted something that could connect to a computer. I looked very hard at a Garmin GPSmap 60, but in the end bought a explorist 400, as I felt that it had the better receiver (I live in Western Oregon, tree cover is an issue here). Now Garmin has the x series which has a reciever that is as good if not better than the Explorist, but I would still buy the Magellan, why? Cost. I paid $200 for my 400 which included Topo 3D software (got to love Costco). For something that I use occasionally I couldn't justify spending an Extra $200+.

So that is my experience with GPSr's. I think most people on this forum have there preference, and the majority would say that there are good things about either Garmin or Magellan. I did say most people. Someone like Neo Geo either actually believes their rhetoric, or just enjoys making inflammatory statements to get a rise out of people. Of course it interesting that someone who doesn't have a car, which I assume means doesn't travel much, has two GPSr's.

You don't need "groups" because Garmin are easy to operate, yet here you are in a "group" to learn how to operate your Garmin!!

Is your Garmin that difficult to understand that you can't remember how to download/save/upload waypoints or files?

If this is what you got out of what I said above, then you need to take some English classes. That's all I'm gonna say about that.

Just my .02, I've used two Magellans and currently use a Sport Trak Pro. For my usage, geocaching and hooked to my laptop using Topo USA, I could not be happier. Don't know about all the bells and whistles that some are complaining about but the ACCURACY of the Sport Trak is spot on. I've never had a problem and never read the manual. It's very easy to use and I have no reason to trade up. JMHO.

i had a sporttrak pro and switched to a 60csx garmin. seems like the garmin's are real pricey compared to the magellans. i like the mapsend software for the magellan better than the garmins mapsource. other than that, i really dig the electronic compass on my new 60csx. my opinion is you are paying big bucks for a garmin just because of the name.