Win A Gold Syf Coin - Contest

AtlantaGal

4/5/95 BJCC Coliseum, Birmingham, Al.

I was at the '81 show in Houston with the first Man Smart.

Great show. I went to that one too. Loved the Me & My Uncle > Maggies Farm! But it was not my last show attended.

Very cool you were at that 81 show :D

Is it still one guess per your day? The anticipation is killing me. I want one of those coins!!

I have my next educated guess ready to go...

7/6/95 - Riverport Amphitheater Maryland Heights, MO

Ding... Ding...Ding! That's it! Congratulations, send me your mailing address through my gc.com profile and I'll mail your brass trackable coin out to you today.

1/2 Step opener. Plus Me & My Uncle, Brown Eyed Women, Cassidy and Unbroken Chain. Jerry was "on" too! Saddest part is remembering Last Time... cause it really was the last time :D

Edited by AtlantaGal

7/6/95 - Riverport Amphitheater Maryland Heights, MO

Ding... Ding...Ding! That's it! Congratulations, send me your mailing address through my gc.com profile and I'll mail your brass trackable coin out to you today.

1/2 Step opener. Plus Me & My Uncle, Brown Eyed Women, Cassidy and Unbroken Chain. Jerry was "on" too! Saddest part is remembering Last Time... cause it really was the last time :(

Woohoo. My first trackable coin...only second coin period. You may be helping to fuel my new coin addiction. :P Thanks a lot for the contest...been fun.

Email on the way.

July 3, 95

Deercreek Music Center

Noblesville, IN

Ironically, this show was cancelled due to the gate crashing incident the night before. I do still have my full unused ticket from this show tho. So I WOULD have been there.

yeah, I caught that after I posted then figured Nocturnal Navigators probably had the right one anyways.

Hey, and it looks like you may have fueled a new addiction, that's always good! LOL!

Edited by GeoBrowns

Congrats again!

To give you all a rest for a few hours, I'll post the final contest question sometime around 5 pm EST tonight. It will be for a Antique Silver SYF coin. This is also 1 of 5 coins produced and this version is not trackable.

Exempt from the final contest are: Cymbaline, Arlsdaddy, Arlsmommy (& other relations), Nocturnal Navigators (& relatives/spouse/etc). Everyone else is welcome to participate!

When you said that Parents of SAM was so close yet so far, I went to Google and found that they did a show the very next day at the place in Missouri! So I was going to guess it, when I found someone else already did! Oh well, it was a close call!

Can't wait for the new one!

*** Congrats Nocturnal Navigators on the win, reading AG's mind :( ***

Edited by Super_Nate

Thanks for the link. I never made the jump to CDs since up until last year I had a dial up connection. I'd like to burn those last shows on CD and now I can with DSL :P I do have 1st gen audience tapes from the DAT masters, but they're on cassettes currently.

Two years ago, when we were moving into our new home, I liberated 780 Dead shows on cassettes. Most all of the shows were on at least two cassettes and a whole lot on 3 cassettes each. I had been collecting them since 1977. This was obviously before the internet. Was hard work back in the day. Post office new me well :( . I replaced most of my faves and shows I attended, only around 100, with CD’s. They were just taking up way to much room. They now have a very nice new home and are appreciated.

OK, next contest!! I want one of those coins!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bigwaves, I did the same thing a few years ago with the exception of the CD part. I went from about 900 hours of cassettes to now 90 hours. I will eventually get the 90 burned on CDs. Lucky for me, the shows prior to 1980 were not something I "had to have" (maybe cause I didn't see them back then :( ).

It was hard work, but all the bubble mailers in the mailbox and being taken to the post office were just like the coins, lol. We all should have owned stock in Maxelle too! You know, I remember spinning tapes to the point of burning through 2 tape decks one year. Ahhh, the good ole days?! :P

Edited by AtlantaGal

Final Contest

Same rules as all the others. A new day will begin tomorrow at 10:34 a.m. EST should someone not guess the correct answer before then. Everyone starts with a clean slate for the day now. Only folks exempt are prior winners (and their families) and Cymbaline. Anyone else is welcome to participate.

Contest Question:

How many Grateful Dead shows did I attend in 1995?

(Note: the cancelled show doesn't count)

Remember this is for the antique silver non-trackable SYF coin pictured below.

SYF_ASsm.jpg

Ding... Ding... Ding. Congrats Kcart :( Send me your mailing addy and I'll have a coin out to you later this week!

Yep, an even dozen shows that final year. I remember scheduling all my work vacation time around the spring and summer shows. I just had a bad feeling that there wouldn't be too many more I'd get a chance to see. I figured the band would stop touring, not that Jerry would die :P Looking back, I am VERY glad I chose to see as many as I did.

3/22 - Charlotte

3/26, 3/27, 3/29 and 3/30 - Atlanta

4/4 & 4/5 - Birmingham

6/24 & 6/25 - RFK

7/2 - Deer Creek

7/5 & 7/6 - St Louis (eventhough it was actually a 'burb of)

I also still have 3 unused tickets from the Boston Garden that was scheduled for September 1995. I refused to send them back for a refund. I wanted to remember that the GD Garden run was to be the last event held there before they tore it down.

Edited by AtlantaGal

Yep PoSAM, they play a heck of a lot of songs. That was the big lure to see them so often. You never, ever would see the same exact show twice (unlike most touring bands that have a set list that varies only slightly if at all from all the other scheduled shows of their tours).

Every show was different and you never knew what songs you would hear. And even the songs themselves varied from season to season and year to year. Just an amazing musical experience.

10 years seeing that band... from my 1st show my Jr year of highschool to the last show in MO with the CFO of the company I worked for at the time (he was one of Jerry's kids too!) Seems like a lifetime ago.

Really remembered A LOT of things these past few days. Thanks to everyone who participated :(