Win A Gold Syf Coin - Contest

AtlantaGal

That was such a cool contest!!!! Thanks for the chance to do some hard core research...been a while since I've done that! Learned a lot about Grateful Dead in the last several hours....way to cool

:cute:

Oh, and another thanks to add on to my previous thanks post! :D

****Thanks AG for your willingness to give away coins on the site here! That is a hard thing to do for such cool coins that otherwise could be sold, and I'm glad for those who won them!

Even though I didn't win a coin, I still won by having fun and learning about a band that I would have never learned about in such a fun setting!

Thanks AG

OK. Now that my little happy dance is over, I'd like to add my thanks to AtlantaGal. It was real, it was fun ... it was real fun! Just a couple of sorta on-topic notes I'd like to add:

Check my log for this GD themed multi not far from my home coordinates.

Also, using Super Nate's link, be sure to check out "Desolation Row" from the '95 Deer Creek show to hear the crowd react to the notorious gate crashing incident about 1:50 into the song. Save you some trouble. Here's a link to the mp3.

Again, many thanks and best regards. We know you didn't have to do this. Rather you wanted to. Nice.

©¿©¬

It's amazing what you forget over the years. There was a "mood" about that whole tour... the influx of younger "deadhead" attitudes, jerry needing the teleprompter, visions of johanna making a reappearance, and other stuff. The gate crashing incident was the cherry on top.

Rather than remembering all that negativity of the final year, my mind chooses to remember the good stuff. And there was still a lot of that magic present. There were a lot of smokin shows. And Jerry really looked like he was having a heck of a good time performing that final Liberty encore... such a silly song. He was just adorable singing it. That's what I remember and it makes me :cute:

Kcart, don't forget to email me with your address so I can pack up your coin.

Edited by AtlantaGal

It's amazing what you forget over the years. There was a "mood" about that whole tour... the influx of younger "deadhead" attitudes, jerry needing the teleprompter, visions of johanna making a reappearance, and other stuff. The gate crashing incident was the cherry on top.

Rather than remembering all that negativity of the final year, my mind chooses to remember the good stuff. And there was still a lot of that magic present. There were a lot of smokin shows. And Jerry really looked like he was having a heck of a good time performing that final Liberty encore... such a silly song. He was just adorable singing it. That's what I remember and it makes me :cute:

Kcart, don't forget to email me with your address so I can pack up your coin.

(.. the influx of younger "deadhead" attitudes,)

What the funny thing is, thats exactly why I quit touring in 1988!! :D

The scene went through a big change with what we called the "Touch Heads" All of these kids that had only heard the "new" song the Dead finally had on the radio for a few years.

The more things change, the more they stay the same! I did go see "The Dead" when they played Willie Nelsons 4th of July Picnic a few years ago. We had a great time.

Thanks AG for a nice romp with good memories.

Edited by Bigwaves

(.. the influx of younger "deadhead" attitudes,)

What the funny thing is, thats exactly why I quit touring in 1988!! :laughing:

It got much worse than "Jerry and his sing along band," trust me. People came in droves for the "party" and could care less about the music. For me, it was always about the music.

The scene went through a big change with what we called the "Touch Heads" All of these kids that had only heard the "new" song the Dead finally had on the radio for a few years.

I've never liked that song. In fact when that opened a show, I was never a happy camper, lol

The more things change, the more they stay the same! I did go see "The Dead" when they played Willie Nelsons 4th of July Picnic a few years ago. We had a great time.

Thanks AG for a nice romp with good memories.

My parents LOVE Willie. They had front row seats to one of his shows a few years ago and that was just "da bomb" for them :lol:

Since 1995, 2 Further Festivals, 3 Rat Dog shows, 1 The Other Ones and a Phil & Friends. I've yet to go see them since they reclaimed "The Dead" name. Maybe some day.

You're welcome. I've enjoyed reminicing as well. Hope to meet you at GW4 in May.

Edited by AtlantaGal

AtlantaGal......

This thread caused me to go into my old vinyl collection and pull out an album to listen to tonight. (Boy is it old and scratchy from a zillion plays. :))

I'll tell you the tracks - can you tell me the NAME of the album? -- THE TRICK IS THAT I WANT YOU TO DO IT WITHOUT LOOKING IT UP ONLINE

Side 1:

The Golden Road

Beat It On Down The Line

Good Morning Little School Girl

Cold Rain And Snow

Sitting On Top Of The World

Cream Puff War

Side 2:

Morning Dew

New New Minglewood Blues

Viola Lee Blues

That's it. What is the name of the album?

BTW -- I never made it to a ton of Dead concerts but the first one I went to would have been sometime in the early 70's. Maybe San Francisco or Oakland? Not sure...... it's been a very long time and those were very "colorful" years. (Heh, lots of colors..........:P)

Edited by Thrak

It's the live single disc with Jerry in the Uncle Sam hat. You can't read the title cause of the funky artwork font. So w/o looking it up online, I have no idea.

I only owned 4 or 5 dead releases on vinyl anyway (which I sold in high school). Remember, the CD came out when I was in high school too :)

And even on CD, American Beauty and Workingmans Dead were always my favorites to play. Who needs studio releases when you've got free live shows on cassette (and now decades of Dick's Picks)? :P

Edited by AtlantaGal

It's the live single disc with Jerry in the Uncle Sam hat. You can't read the title cause of the funky artwork font. So w/o looking it up online, I have no idea.

I only owned 4 or 5 dead releases on vinyl anyway (which I sold in high school). Remember, the CD came out when I was in high school too :)

And even on CD, American Beauty and Workingmans Dead were always my favorites to play. Who needs studio releases when you've got free live shows on cassette (and now decades of Dick's Picks)? :P

I don't even have the outer cardboard cover - just the vinyl record in the inner paper sleeve. The ONLY title on the album is The Grateful Dead It's not a live album. I actually received it as a hand-me-down from another person when I was about 16 years old. That would have put it in about 1969.

I don't even have the outer cardboard cover - just the vinyl record in the inner paper sleeve. The ONLY title on the album is The Grateful Dead It's not a live album. I actually received it as a hand-me-down from another person when I was about 16 years old. That would have put it in about 1969.

The last word in the funky writing is "live".