Grabbing And Dropping Bugs

Logged on to my email about 30 mins ago (im not anal just working nights) to find a log stating my travel bug had been picked up. I was a bit disappointed to find therefore that the person who retrieved it actually immediately dropped it back in the same cache again stating they logged it as a find but left it in the cache.

Whats your thoughts on this. I say i felt disappointed as I got excited thinking herbie was on the move again only to find that actually...he wasnt. I also did wonder what was the point of doing it in the first place??? If it was just to shore up numbers its a bit of a swiz i feel as its doing nothing to help my bug just making the stats bigger :laughing:

Edited by freespirit1402
I was a bit disappointed to find therefore that the person who retrieved it actually immediately dropped it back in the same cache again stating they logged it as a find but left it in the cache.

I can understand your disappointment.

Leaving some TB's/coins in a cache for others to log can have cache pulling power though. The TB may not move, but you could get plenty of logs!

I think this is a rare event though... unless anyone knows different?

Jon

There could be a couple of reasons why someone would log a TB but not move it.

Yes, it could be a numbers thing. I've had a TB logged in and out of an event cache in the US loads of times before being claimed by someone to move on, but maybe that's normal practice there? Apart from me having to delete a few emails, it really doesn't matter, so long as someone takes it on.

The same could be said here for geocoin icons...

On the positive side and although I wouldn't do it, it does give you an indication that the TB is still in the cache. Some people either don't want to move TBs or don't think they ought to as they can't move them towards their goal.

funnily enough having spent the quiet hour of my shift reading some bug logs (yes its sad but at 4am i gotta stay awake somehow) i noticed some people also do the opposite, they log a bug into a cache then straight back out again to give it extra mileage. seems to make a little more sense to me but what do people think about that

and bexybear...K2? now i am excited LOL, what a photo that would make!

i noticed some people also do the opposite, they log a bug into a cache then straight back out again to give it extra mileage. seems to make a little more sense to me but what do people think about that

Logging a TB in and out can get rid of the reminder about moving a bug on if you have had a particular bug for over 2 weeks. Otherwise it could be a personal TB, logging every cache you've visitted, which you can view on Google Earth.

I recently drove all over the north of Cumbria chasing Meismook's Bug Eating Pig/Nuts about Cumbria caches. On of the places I had to visit was Wastwater for a trip up Yewbarrow to find one of the three travel bugs. I decided to leave the bug in the cache because it was so remote and I thought the next cacher might like the pleasure of visiting this area - it's also interesting to note that the next visitor appears to have left it there too... ;)

Yewbarrow Part Way cache

I recently drove all over the north of Cumbria chasing Meismook's Bug Eating Pig/Nuts about Cumbria caches. On of the places I had to visit was Wastwater for a trip up Yewbarrow to find one of the three travel bugs. I decided to leave the bug in the cache because it was so remote and I thought the next cacher might like the pleasure of visiting this area - it's also interesting to note that the next visitor appears to have left it there too... <_<

Yewbarrow Part Way cache

Yeah and me with a gammy knee is waiting for someone to retrieve it as i am not fit enough to go up and get it so wasnt best pleased it was left there <_<

I grabbed and dropped a white jeep once. I already had one at the time and I thought another would be greedy. Beside I don't think there is anybody at GM who is going to get upset about their bugs activities.

this probably sounds thick but ive not been doing caching long...what are white jeeps and yellow jeeps, i have some bizarre mental images of trucks sticking out of ammo boxes right now...

White Pictures

Yellow Pictures

Got a spare white one for me ???? please please ????

They are TB's released in 2004 and 2005 by Jeep in a publicity stunt.

I think about 4000 where released.

5001 Yellow and 5000 White. A perfectly reasonable geocaching quiz question and I still don't understand why people at the event complained it was to hard. :lol:

Oh dear is it sad that i would of known that :laughing:

Ok cool thanks. I take it they are identified by the different pic next to the cache, i think ive seen some caches with pics of what i assumed at the time were landrovers (lol)

also in an earlier post McKryton wrote ... I grabbed and dropped a white jeep once. I already had one at the time and I thought another would be greedy. Beside I don't think there is anybody at GM who is going to get upset about their bugs activities.

so whats GM? soz for all the questions im just learning all the time as ive only been doing this a couple of months

If you know for sure that the TB with be picked up..eg,out caching with friends who have got the bug in there possession but you both found the cache,thats cool

If you have a hotel and the bugs have been sitting there for a little while, but you know it will be visited soon,its good to that the owners know they are safe by logging in and out....proves they have not gone walkies.

I admit that I am one of those cachers that log a TB in and out of a cache for mileage..thats because I am the TB!,recording my mileage and cachers I meet along the way...sorry but i cant not get into one of them little boxes....any cachers that sets a cache the size of a flat....I might just log myself in and not out. :D