Would This Be Alright?

Teamhawaii1981 & blueicyrose

I started collecting a few months ago. I like having the collection and looking through it, and keeping the actual coins. My initial intent was to activate the coins and bring them to events and on the trails. I have brought them to one event to let people log.

Would it be alright now, without deleting any people who logged the coin, to make the printout replicas of the coins, put them in that hard plastic laminate, change the goals and send those out?

I really don't feel comfortable sending out the coins, as I really like collecting them and usually only buy 1 coin. Plus, this way if it ever goes missing I can just send out another replica. I understand that I won't be able to let lookers log anymore, and that is ok with me. I can just keep the coins at home to admire. :anicute:

How does this sound? Lame or cool?

Would you get as excited about logging a replica? (I know I have this week; but wanted general feelings)

If it is cool, where do you get that neat hard plastic laminate?

I enjoy finding travel bugs in caches so finding a replica of a geocoin would be just as fun. I am currently in the process of releasing my coins in caches but I don't have high hopes. Your idea protects your collection and gives everyone the opportunity to see a copy of the original. I think it is perfectly acceptable.

GEOCLONES!!

Sure its OK! :anicute:

At least in my book!

AS LONG AS YOU RENAME IT AS A "GEOCLONE" TO LET THE CACHER KNOW IT'S A COPY AND NOT THE ACTUAL COIN

^^---Not yelling, CAPS & bold for STRONG emphasis.---^^

D-man :cool:

PS: Since we are in a 'I Was The First' mood today... I WAS the first to use the term GEOCLONE!

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...993&hl=geoclone

:P:D:D

Don't take it so serious folks! It's only life, nobody gets out alive!! :D

:D

Edited by gridlox

Gridlox:

You don't think that people will realize that the piece of plastic they are holding in their hands that weighs next to nothing is not the actual coin? :anicute::cool::P

I was mainly speaking about when people see the coin Icon on a cache page. When they click on the coin it will show on the coins page that it is a GEOCLONE of the coin, Not the actual coin that is in the cache.

I know I have done it myself and I'm sure other's have as well. See the icon pop up on a cache in the area and make a point to grab that cache just so I can get the coin(NOT TO KEEP IN MY COLLECTION, UNLESS THE COIN OWNER SAID IT WAS OK). While I still would probably grab the cache for a GEOCLONE, one with the actual coin itself would probably get listed higher on my priority list.

Gridlox:

You don't think that people will realize that the piece of plastic they are holding in their hands that weighs next to nothing is not the actual coin? :D:cool::anicute:

I was mainly speaking about when people see the coin Icon on a cache page. When they click on the coin it will show on the coins page that it is a GEOCLONE of the coin, Not the actual coin that is in the cache.

I know I have done it myself and I'm sure other's have as well. See the icon pop up on a cache in the area and make a point to grab that cache just so I can get the coin(NOT TO KEEP IN MY COLLECTION, UNLESS THE COIN OWNER SAID IT WAS OK). While I still would probably grab the cache for a GEOCLONE, one with the actual coin itself would probably get listed higher on my priority list.

Shouldn't that be 'Geocloin'? :P

It's not true that you can't let people log your coins. You can let those who see them log them. What you cannot do is post the code publicly on a page so any Tom, Dick or Sally can log them virtually from anywhere into any cache they don't actually visit. You can take your coins to events and people can log them. And you don't have to let go of them.

(note: Tom, Dick and Sally are fictitious characters used for this explanation)

It's not true that you can't let people log your coins. You can let those who see them log them. What you cannot do is post the code publicly on a page so any Tom, Dick or Sally can log them virtually from anywhere into any cache they don't actually visit. You can take your coins to events and people can log them. And you don't have to let go of them.

(note: Tom, Dick and Sally are fictitious characters used for this explanation)

I know, I meant, when I release the replicas into the wild, I can no longer allow others to log the real coins or log them into events, because it will screw up the mileage and who is grabbing them and so forth. Once I release the plastic jobbies, that is it. They have to stay in my folder at home.

So, this Tom, Dick, and Sally, how long have they been caching and do they have any LE's for trade? :anicute:

I know, I meant, when I release the replicas into the wild, I can no longer allow others to log the real coins or log them into events, because it will screw up the mileage and who is grabbing them and so forth. Once I release the plastic jobbies, that is it. They have to stay in my folder at home.

So, this Tom, Dick, and Sally, how long have they been caching and do they have any LE's for trade? :anicute:

Hahahaha, I get you now, no you won't be able to log the real ones after.

Another method of cloning that I have considered trying is to print a picture of the coin on a round sticker (actually two stickers since there is a front and a back), Avery makes 1.5" round stickers. Then putting the stickers on each side of a 1.5" or 1.75" wooden disk (like a wooden nickle but not printed on before the stickers) then coating them with some kind of shelac. I'm not sure if the shelac would mess with the printed ink before it dried. Anyone want to be a guinea pig?

Another method of cloning that I have considered trying is to print a picture of the coin on a round sticker (actually two stickers since there is a front and a back), Avery makes 1.5" round stickers. Then putting the stickers on each side of a 1.5" or 1.75" wooden disk (like a wooden nickle but not printed on before the stickers) then coating them with some kind of shelac. I'm not sure if the shelac would mess with the printed ink before it dried. Anyone want to be a guinea pig?

I printed mine on photo paper (couldn't find the stickers at the store), then used wood glue and put them on the wooden disk. When they dried I covered them with clear contact paper.

;)

I printed mine on photo paper (couldn't find the stickers at the store), then used wood glue and put them on the wooden disk. When they dried I covered them with clear contact paper.

Found three of Jamrasc's "coins" over the weekend.... They seem to hold up pretty well in case you're wondering. :D

They're called mailing seals, and they're in a different section of the store than the labels. I looked for them too and found they weren't called labels. You can get spray shelac rather than using brush-on, which should help prevent runs or smearing.

;)

They're called mailing seals, and they're in a different section of the store than the labels. I looked for them too and found they weren't called labels. You can get spray shelac rather than using brush-on, which should help prevent runs or smearing.

:mellow:

What section did you find them in? I was looking all around the printing things.

Good idea. I wouldn't say they are copies in the coin description. Instead those who are after the icon can meet their quest and should be happy and those who wanted to steal the coin will have wasted 10 bucks in gas to jack the 5 dollar coin will be unhappy, making you happy.

I think this is win win.

Edited by Renegade Knight

I would rather see the description state that is is a copy, I will go to a cache that has a coin in it (if its one I haven't seen before) to get the icon, see the coin, and move it to another cache, NOT steal the coin. But I'd rather not waste gas going to a cache to see a laminated photocopy of someones coin.....

Edited by tdecell

I have 2 of these coins out in the wild right now. I used the Avery Stickers along with Poker Chips and some gold paint to do mine. They seem to be good travelers and the people who i show my coins too at the KC Tech Event liked the idea as many of them have had coins lost in the wild.

I have also noted that you can probably make a copy of a coin that was lost in the wild that you owned and release the copy back into the wild.

Check out LZ33's coins http:// http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?id=284516 I know I enjoyed moving this coin replica..

I enjoy finding travel bugs in caches so finding a replica of a geocoin would be just as fun. I am currently in the process of releasing my coins in caches but I don't have high hopes. Your idea protects your collection and gives everyone the opportunity to see a copy of the original. I think it is perfectly acceptable.

We have 2 of LZ33 replica coins right now, his are very nice. He makes a copy of the coin sandwiches it between to pieces of plexiglass and uses silicone to glue it together (I think) then uses a Dremel tool to cut out the shape.

lz33coins1.jpg

Stick them and the bug sheet in a baggie and off they go to travel the world.

Edited by ParentsofSAM